Drew attends TED, but fails to steal the seat from Bill Gates' wife. Also, some of Fark's favorite Headlines of the Week 2/7 thru 2/13
Posted by Drew at 2010-02-16 11:05:46 AM, edited 2010-02-16 6:24:54 PM (51 comments) | Permalink

5687 clicks; posted to Main » on 16 Feb 2010 at 1:00 PM (4 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

Last week I attended the TED conference for the first time. I was kind of dubious about it, I don't have a lot of luck at conferences -- it seems that most of them are full of douchebags. It seemed even more likely that TED would be full of douchebags since the context of the conference seems to be "save the world", a sanctimonious goal if there ever was one.

I was surprised to discover that there weren't so many douchebags there. In fact, everyone I met was really nice, and I was able to catch up with a ton of folks that I'd been trying to grab a beer with forever, including Jay Adelson (Digg), Phillip "Pud" Kaplan (F*cked Company & others), moot (4chan), and Arianna Huffington (HuffPo), among others. I even inadvertently asked Bill Gates if the seat next to him was taken; he was saving it for his wife. Didn't realize it was him until two days later.

It's one thing to have a conference where the subtext is "save the world," but it's another thing entirely to have people there who can actually do it. By far my favorite talk was about Nathan Myhrvold's new mosquito laser built out of parts found on eBay. Pretty amazing stuff, although my first reaction was that this probably has some obvious military applications -- such as parking one in geostationary orbit over Iran and setting it to kill anyone with a mustache. Seems like I saw this movie before, Val Kilmer was in it.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2010-02-07 to Sat 2010-02-13:

img1.fark.net  "Sheen Remains Weeks After Port Arthur Oil Spill." I bet he'd go away if they offered him some hookers and coke    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Georgia man arrested with $1.6 billion in phony Treasury notes. Authorities became suspicious upon learning that the man's name wasn't China    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Overweight men have higher chance of surviving a car crash. That's how we roll    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Woman wins $15K in botched bikini wax lawsuit. I don't think she'll get ripped off again    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Original Haitian death toll of 270,000 has now been revised to 170,000, meaning that 100,000 people are no...longer...dead...OH CRAP    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Beet juice mix helps melt ice. Beet juice mix helps melt ice. Beet juice mix helps melt ice    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Nelson Mandela was released from prison 20 years ago today, hasn't reoffended    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  "Officers say they've had two meth seizures within five days of each other." They better go easy on that stuff    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Woman injured after getting hit by a cinder truck. Why couldn't it have been something softer like a pillow truck or a marshmallow truck?    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Staff employees in Maricopa County, Arizona have been caught speeding on photo radar cameras more than 1,500 times over the last two years, marking the first time in history a government worker has done something fast    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Probe launched into Mianus fire blamed on hot ashes, spicy food    img.fark.net

Sports:

img1.fark.net  Vick no longer complacent, realizes that competitive sports is a something-of-one-type eat something-of-the-same-type world    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Nancy Kerrigan lands new gig as a reporter for the 2010 Winter Olympics. WHY HER? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  NASCAR begins its boring sport toda...Wait what? Danica Patrick was in a 12-car accident? Is she okay? Was her racing suit torn off at all?    img.fark.net

Geek:

img1.fark.net  Rebuilt DNA Could Lead to Cloned Neanderthals, Higher Ratings for WWE    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Starcraft 2 beta to be released this month. Kekekekeke nerd rush ^_^    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Europe's LHC to run at half-energy, tightening race for Higgs. In related news, scientists across Europe have begun stockpiling crossbows    img.fark.net

Showbiz:

img1.fark.net  Heather Mills wants to produce a TV show about people with disabilities. Guess she hasn't heard Jersey Shore's coming back for a second season    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  "I do not believe in totally natural for women" says Donatella Versace, who looks like a cross between Iggy Pop and a leather purse left out in the sun    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Lady Gaga is dating her best friend. She says that it was very nice to meat him    img.fark.net

Politics:

img1.fark.net  Although she lives in a state that allows gay marriage, TV pundit Rachel Maddow says she and her girlfriend don't want to get married, but like having the option of putting the Subaru in both their names if they want    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Bill Clinton rushed to NY hospital with heart problem. Details, updates, Clinton expected to come soon    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Poll shows that 70% of Americans support gays and lesbians in the military. However, only 59% support homosexuals in the military. Non-homosexual gay and lesbian soldiers rejoice    img.fark.net

Music:

img1.fark.net  White Stripes upset at Air Force Reserve for stealing one of their songs. They say they recognized it because the drums sounded like a monkey trapped in a snare    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Moby says he is using "no electronic instruments" on his new album, which means you'll be lulled to sleep by real instruments    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Limp Bizkit's Wes Borland says that their new album is inspired by Daft Punk. In related news, Daft Punk to sue Limp Bizkit for defamation of character    img.fark.net

Business:

img1.fark.net  Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan emerges from his hole and predicts six more years of high unemployment    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Philip Morris profit tops estimates, plans to boost health through the intake of second hand stock    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  MySpace CEO Van Natta quits after just nine months, which is pretty much what most MySpace users did four years ago    img.fark.net
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

2010-02-16 11:23:13 AM
I even inadvertently asked Bill Gates if the seat next to him was taken; he was saving it for his wife. Didn't realize it was him until two days later...when I was lying in a bathtub of ice with a note on my chest, 'thanks for the kidney. signed, Bill'

extended for you

2010-02-16 11:24:16 AM
Some good headlines this week. Well done, submitters.

2010-02-16 11:27:05 AM

2010-02-16 11:32:00 AM
Awesome batch of headlines this week, great job submitters!

Unfreakable: Some good headlines this week. Well done, submitters.

Or yeah, basically this.

Did a spit take at the Donatella Versace headline, for some reason...

2010-02-16 11:33:20 AM
Yeah - well, um, I was standing at the side of the road when Wayne Gretzky's motorcade drove by and I shook my fist when it splashed snow and slush at me.
Actually, I didn't shake my fist - but I did try to sell the slush on eBay. Nobody bid on it - stupid assholes!

2010-02-16 11:44:08 AM

www.homerhickam.com

2010-02-16 01:09:08 PM
I bet TED geeks spent more time at the Auld Dubliner than the LB convention center...
/who me?

2010-02-16 01:09:52 PM
Barnacles!: hey Drew, did you see the controversial speech given by Sarah Silverman at TED? I guess it was a new low, even for her.

She should stick to posting random pics in online forums. I hear that knocks 'em dead.

2010-02-16 01:10:14 PM
What could moot possibly be doing at a "Save the World" conference?

2010-02-16 01:12:48 PM
LandOfChocolate: What could moot possibly be doing at a "Save the World" conference?

Trying to stop the conference?

Posting CP on the overhead projector?

Looking for new memes to start?

2010-02-16 01:12:54 PM

Being an invited speaker.

2010-02-16 01:19:35 PM
Can some GIS the family guy where ted turner and bill gates are, im at work and have strict safe search on...also ill just leave this as well...

www.theodoresworld.net

2010-02-16 01:35:40 PM
Oh you finally got time out of your busy schedule to make it to a TED conference. Do go on.

/jealous

2010-02-16 01:36:59 PM

2010-02-16 01:38:16 PM
Phillip "Pud" Kaplan (F*cked Company & others),

Boooooooo......

Won't resurrect F'd Co. because he's now too far in with the biz. It would have been invaluable again in 2008.

Actually, considering the other people you mentioned, Drew, I'd probably have talked to Pud, too.

/Digg, 4chan, srsly?
//Was anonymous there?

2010-02-16 01:39:57 PM
I would like to hear more about the TED conference as well.

/admitted douche

2010-02-16 01:49:47 PM
Drew:

You know how they say in Poker "If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." I guess the same goes for douchebags...

/joke

2010-02-16 01:55:39 PM

They should stick to generating millions in ad revenue by building a community and then trolling it to death.

2010-02-16 02:01:58 PM
Who is Drew?

/I keed.

2010-02-16 02:10:55 PM
So lemme get this straight. Somebody who's buddies with Tucker Max is calling people at the TED conferences douchebags?

Wow man. Just, wow.

2010-02-16 02:12:35 PM
Drew's best comment on TED : It's one thing to have a conference where the subtext is "save the world," but it's another thing entirely to have people there who can actually do it.

Anything fark can do to partner up with TED is a good thing, IMHO. TED really can save the world.

/ My dad's name is Ted.
// No relation.

2010-02-16 02:18:45 PM
ITT, our favorite TED talks. Here's one of mine.

2010-02-16 02:31:05 PM
I don't know who the hell TED is, and I DEFINITELY don't want to know what 'attends' is a euphemism for.

2010-02-16 02:31:49 PM
TheSignPost: / My dad's name is Ted.
// No relation.

My uncle's name is Ted. My last name is Kaczynski. He tried saving the world, too.

2010-02-16 02:38:16 PM

:shrug: showing us why the world shouldn't be saved?

2010-02-16 02:40:43 PM
Does the world need saving? It seems to be spinning on its axis and orbiting the sun as it has for some time now.

2010-02-16 02:45:15 PM
IXI Jim IXI
I don't know who the hell TED is

If you're serious, check 'em out. Basically the idea is getting smart people together to share the things they're smart about with each other. It's really great shiat, especially since they've dropped some of the veneer of elitism by releasing (selected) talks to us unwashed masses.

grinderman
Does the world need saving?

If you take the world to include the sentient species inhabiting it... probably.

2010-02-16 02:47:04 PM
mrexcess: Basically the idea is getting smart people together to share the things they're smart about with each other.

Couldn't this be done by email?

2010-02-16 02:50:07 PM

That's a work of art.

2010-02-16 02:53:11 PM

How was it a new low? That's her thing, they invited her, no one to blame but the event organizers.

2010-02-16 02:56:01 PM
IXI Jim IXI
Couldn't this be done by email?

2010-02-16 02:57:50 PM
mrexcess: grinderman
Does the world need saving?

I don't. They simply don't last long enough, which is probably for the best from what I've seen.

2010-02-16 03:00:08 PM
grinderman

All I can say to that is 'look again':

img692.imageshack.us

2010-02-16 03:10:01 PM
mrexcess: In some way, it's been being done since the dawn of time, with stories told around fires, with papyrus and parchment and paper. Technology has made the process considerably more efficient, though.

I'd imagine that would take quite an amount of carbon credits these days.

2010-02-16 03:10:55 PM

Here's a a brief article (pops) about his talk. Apparently, he talked about how anonymity on the internet can be a very important tool and people should be more careful to protect it before it slips away, either by government mandate or just apathy. I'd have to agree with him. I prefer being able to express dissent with my government's action while not having to fear reprisal, like I would in Iran or China.

2010-02-16 03:11:12 PM

You might want to get that meter recalibrated or at least hit it with a ballpeen hammer a few times.

2010-02-16 03:13:47 PM

2010-02-16 03:16:12 PM
Why would Drew be interested in TED? I thought it was a bunch of liberal elitists with their science and their ideas.

2010-02-16 03:19:41 PM
mrexcess: ITT, our favorite TED talks. Here's one of mine.

John Hodgman: A brief digression on lost time

Any of Hans Rosling's talks. This one is a favorite.

Ken Robinson: Schools kill creativity
is the one that introduced me to TED.

Here's a short one: Alisa Miller: The news about the news

2010-02-16 03:24:53 PM
Guysmiley

Wow man. Just, wow.

I give you all the evidence:
A. Did not look forward to going to Ted because people are probably douchebags. (slaps forehead)
B. HANGS AROUND WITH TUCKER MAX? (Huh? ....I have no words.)
C. Didn't recognize Bill Gates. (Seriously? I assumed the guy who ran this site at least glanced at the news now and then.)

Can I just reiterate: Wow man. Just Wow.

2010-02-16 03:26:23 PM
Between the bars & restaurants there must be 50 places to drink on Pine Avenue. TED can't hold a candle to the Anime convention when it comes to a major dork fest.

2010-02-16 03:39:08 PM

Actually it wasn't, if anything it was pretty restrained for your typical Sarah Silverman bit.

If she'd explained that the retard joke was a dig on Sarah Palin the crowd probably would have given her a standing O for 10 minutes

2010-02-16 03:40:19 PM
tallen702: Drew, did you get to see the talk on Terra Power's Traveling Wave Reactor design? Just curious considering Obama has announced he'll approve two new nuclear power plants to be built (regulatory approval pending of course).

Yeah I did. Bill Gates seems to think it'll work. He's smarter than I am

2010-02-16 03:42:58 PM
bluorangefyre: Drew, you came across one of the richest men on the planet and didn't ask him for a couple of billion to buy every man and woman above the age of 21 a case of beer?

I didn't know it was him, he had new glasses

2010-02-16 04:00:13 PM

2010-02-16 04:01:46 PM

I hope he at least had the common sense to towel him off...

2010-02-16 04:44:09 PM
Stoutpants: That was awesome beyond words. Thank you.

2010-02-16 04:45:01 PM
hurdboy:
//Was anonymous there?

Hard to tell, they wouldn't identify themselves.

2010-02-16 05:33:32 PM
Who are you and what did you do to Drew?

Arianna Huffington: desperate social climber, people should read about what Maureen Orth wrote about her in "The Importance of Being Famous".

Sarah Silverman: Bill Maher invited her once to his show, and blah, her stupidity on that show made me despise her.

2010-02-16 06:06:51 PM
I don't know about TED. All I see is a lot of smoke and no fire.

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all