Congratulations to 40below for achieving 10,000 greenlights on Fark. Also some of Fark's favorite Headlines of the Week for 10/4 - 10/10
Posted by Drew at 2009-10-12 3:15:18 PM (445 comments) | Permalink

11526 clicks; posted to Main » on 12 Oct 2009 at 3:17 PM (5 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

A lot of times before we get to the Headline of the Week, we do a little writeup on media trends, but this week we have a happy milestone to announce. Today, our most prolific submitter--you know him as 40below--passed 10,000 greenlights. Congratulations, sir, you've accomplished a feat that is difficult to imagine even among the regular submitters.

Considering that his account was created back in February 2004, that means he's averaged about 5.5 greenlights a day, every day since he joined. You may use your own adjectives for that, but I'm going to pick impressive.

While the importance of the Fark community cannot be downplayed, the submitters are often overlooked unless they come into a popular thread and take the occasional well-deserved bow. It's easy to recognize the popular posters because they're so visible, but the submitters provide so much of the entertainment value here. They're the ones that not only find fresh oddball and weird news stories, but then go the extra mile by crafting the headlines that have made nearly everybody here laugh at inappropriate times in the office, occasionally during meetings, and have made us all spit out our beverage of choice onto our keyboards.

Everybody who contributes to Fark in some small way makes this place better. And today, I want to give a nod to somebody who has helped make Fark into something special.

Thank you, 40below. Good work.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2009-10-04 to Sat 2009-10-10:

img1.fark.net  New eye-examiner had internship in Alaska; may be an optical Aleutian    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Cookbook for cancer patients: "We were hoping for tumor chapters, but the publisher said there could only benign"    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  300 U.S. children are burned each day. Well done parents    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Helen Keller to be honored with a statue on Capitol Hill. Guess hiding from the Nazis all those years finally paid off    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Barack Obama linked to terrorist Yasser Arafat    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Man finally wins his battle to have the "refrigerator from hell" replaced. In related news, the triumphal return of Gozer has been postponed indefinitely    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Trio of burglars steals $100K in perfume. Authorities encourage citizens to report any information through the appropriate Chanels    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Golfer loses arm after being attacked by alligator. No word on what his handicap is now    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  United Nations plane crash leaves 11 dead, food for the whole village    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  This Sunday, the Pope will canonize five new saints, including one from Hawaii. Wait, what? After only eight months in office?    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Convicted sex offender sues state, claiming his arrest for attending a church with a daycare restricts his First Amendment rights, dating opportunities    img.fark.net

Sports:

img1.fark.net  One legged fighter becomes the first disabled competitor to win an MMA bout, receiving a leaning ovation from the crowd    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  St. Louis Blues investigating escalator that injured thirteen, left a dozen stranded for hours    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  College bands reprimanded for playing at "inappropriate times" during football game, presumably 7/16 or 9/23    img.fark.net

Geek:

img1.fark.net  Children as young as five found to be using the Internet without parental supervision. All of a sudden the Politics tab makes sense    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Blackbirds found to have better understanding of physics than chimpanzees, liberal arts majors    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  U.S. develops plan to control massive wild horse population in western states. We won't get into the details, but hope you enjoy your next My Little McPony Happy Meal    img.fark.net

Showbiz:

img1.fark.net  "Zombieland" takes the box office Friday, proving people really do love brainless entertainment    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Jude Law's "Hamlet" falls somewhere between "to see" and "not to see"    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  The Godfather and its sequels are the classic films Britons are the most likely to claim to have seen without actually watching the movies. Except for Godfather 3, nobody would ever admit to watching that    img.fark.net

Politics:

img1.fark.net  Obamas share quiet dinner to celebrate wedding anniversary, last time anyone accepted one of Barack's proposals    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Obama will donate his $1.4 million in Nobel Prize money to charity, the Foundation for Rubbing it in Bill and Hillary Clinton's Smug Faces    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Hillary Clinton settles dispute between Turkey and Armenia. If only there was some prize she could win to show how she's making peace in the world    img.fark.net

Music:

img1.fark.net  U2 'desperate' to have their own video game reflective of the band but say they can't find a developer able to design a game that is equal parts pompous and suck and that drags on for hours without actually getting anywhere    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Jethro Tull shows what happens if you mix the drugs of Burning Man, Bill The Butcher's kid brother and an unreleased dance number from The Lord of the Rings    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Jay-Z credits Wham as an early influence. Is there no end to Andrew Ridgeley's reign of terror?    img.fark.net

Business:

img1.fark.net  Dutch start Europe's first camel dairy, proving once again that there's no idea so dumb that the Dutch won't try it first    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Headline: "Verizon to sell 2 Google phones this year". Why all the optimism, Verizon?    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Starbucks sues former executive who moved to Dunkin' Donuts. Legal experts say plaintiff has grounds    img.fark.net
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | » | Last | Show all

2009-10-12 04:46:29 PM
Majin_Buu: I want to see the award for most links submitted without a single greenlight now.

That would be funny. Top 10 of failing submission examples also.

2009-10-12 04:48:06 PM
Trainspotr: Kwality Assurance: I moved to Tahoe with some friends when I was 21. I moved away at 24. One of my friends is still there. I was talking to him about a year ago and asked him when he was going to leave. In the last 15 years I'd graduated college, got a nice career, got married, had a kid, bought a house, saved for retirement, etc. I asked him what he'd done besides waiting table at Apple Bees. He said he'd bought 15 season passes at Heavenly and another 15 season passes at the golf course. He's now 41 and life is just passing him by. Soon we'll both be 65 and I'll be enjoying my retirement spending at least a month a year on vacation in Tahoe while he'll probably still be my waiter.

So, when you're both retired, he'll be living in Tahoe year-round, while you'll only be able to go there for a month every year? And you think life is passing him by?

Newsflash: Spouses, kids, houses, and "nice careers" aren't everyone's idea of a life well spent

THIS
Hey Kwaliti: I made over $55,000 last year. I am a bartender. I work three days a week. THAT'S 12 DAYS A MONTH. Know what I do the rest of the month? Hang with my kids... hiking, camping, movies, football games, concerts. I get to go on their field trips, I volunteer in their classrooms, I help them do their homework. I wouldn't trade it for a "nice" career. I have an "awesome" career: full time, hands on MOM and part time barkeep.

/You at work? I'm not.
//You sanctimonious arsehole.

2009-10-12 04:48:22 PM
holy hell! impressive indeed

2009-10-12 04:48:28 PM
Kwality Assurance: In the last 15 years I'd graduated college, got a nice career, got married, had a kid, bought a house, saved for retirement, etc. I asked him what he'd done besides waiting table at Apple Bees. He said he'd bought 15 season passes at Heavenly and another 15 season passes at the golf course.

Sounds like your friend has been living the dream for the past 15 years.

2009-10-12 04:48:35 PM
MooseBayou: The curious thing to me is:

Who's in 2nd, and how far behind are they?

Click the "Top Submitters" link over to the right.

2009-10-12 04:51:47 PM
Impressed/depressed.

2009-10-12 04:52:30 PM
Well done, 40below!

2009-10-12 04:52:32 PM
MooseBayou: felixecho: Nice job. I haven't managed to get a single submission in the last 8 years.

You and I are the lepers of FARK.

Also sporting a goose egg.

Your headlines look good. I think if you submitted more often, and submitted more headlines when you did, a greenlight would be inevitable.

2009-10-12 04:53:22 PM
10,000? Wow, that's.............sad.

2009-10-12 04:54:37 PM
40below:
i483.photobucket.com

2009-10-12 04:56:07 PM
10000 greens? Congrats 40below. And to think that 1/3 of those are the multitudinous 'headline of the year' threads still amazes!

/or I think it's you who did all the HLotY threads...

2009-10-12 04:57:04 PM
I know who has too much time on their hands

2009-10-12 04:57:54 PM
you may be in trouble however when the oil hits your anus

2009-10-12 04:59:40 PM
I just wanted to make sure to add my sentiment: 40below, you are a huge dork. Good jorb.

2009-10-12 05:00:45 PM
CynicalLA: rancidPlasma: hahaha.. 40below has jealous haters. He feeds on your deliciuos tears.

Haters? One day he will truly regret all the time he spent trying to come up with headlines for a website. It's sad really.

The times when he's typing are his breaks from carrying weaponry in the heat, his profile would suggest. I suspect the more mindlessly entertaining the activity during those times is, the better.

2009-10-12 05:01:25 PM
40below - well done, old bean.

2009-10-12 05:03:15 PM
God you guys act like someone who has an account from 2004 is a long time user...

2009-10-12 05:07:18 PM
Well 9500 of em were FarkTV

2009-10-12 05:11:08 PM
Oorah 40below! Oorah!

/REMF

2009-10-12 05:11:11 PM
congrats 40below, your wit is unparalleled

2009-10-12 05:13:21 PM
Of the top 100 submitters all-time:

Mean = 1178.44
Std. Dev = 1171.28

40Below is over 7 standard deviations above the mean.

It's highly-doubtful that this is the handiwork of one person.

/Amateur skeptic & statistician.
//I have no idea what I'm talking about.

2009-10-12 05:13:26 PM
Does anyone else find this amusing:

Greenlit submissions - All time

1 - 40below 10005
2 - Drew 4519

Congrats, 40Below.

/took me 2 minutes to locate and post, so 40Below has probably hit 10,010 by now.

2009-10-12 05:16:01 PM
40below is a muslim

2009-10-12 05:17:49 PM
I get the feeling most submitters don't exactly get a fair shake at a greenlight...

2009-10-12 05:19:52 PM
Yoduh: 40below fark profile (new window)

why all the 'get a life' hate?

there's his life, defending yours.

now don't you feel a bit silly now?

Bwahahaa. Best post ever.

Here's your reward.
Link (new window)

Link (new window)

2009-10-12 05:20:03 PM
wolfzr2: 40below's life brought to you by:

blogs.houstonpress.com
You forgot the Funyuns.

2009-10-12 05:20:48 PM
Is this the thread where we accuse 40below of being a mod?

2009-10-12 05:21:22 PM
OCD is nothing to joke about.

2009-10-12 05:24:21 PM
How many of these are because some if not all mods green almost everything submitted by him at this point?

2009-10-12 05:25:36 PM
Does this mean 40below is retiring from Farking to get a job?

2009-10-12 05:29:20 PM
40below is just a better submitter than most. He's given advice on submitting before, as have a few admins. Ya'll don't realize how Fark works behind the scenes, i dont either, really, but different admins find different things funny, and they can't green every funny headline.

My first greens were pretty straght-forward and dull...they just linked to interesting stories. Stumbleupon is a subby's best friend.

I've said too much...

2009-10-12 05:31:48 PM
Oh_Enough_Already: Meh, I've seen REDLIT links go green later on when 40 submitted them (with no improvement whatsoever on the headline) proof positive that the rules get bent for him. (Once RED things are supposed to STAY RED).

Huh? If there's a conspiracy to help 40below, why would they first red-light it, then green-light it later? Wouldn't they just green-light it? Are they just bad at conspiracies?

2009-10-12 05:31:59 PM
Congrats 40below you magnificent bastard.

2009-10-12 05:34:44 PM
Knucklepopper: So he's the one that's been writing all those dick headlines, making fun of Helen Keller and one legged MMA fighters. What an asshole.

I wrote that MMA one, he had no arms or legs "It's like a no legged man in an ass kicking contest"

Take that 40 below, my 33 greenlights, NOT YOURS~!

2009-10-12 05:35:48 PM
40below is my hero.

/not even in the top 100.
//unless you count this year, in which case I'm 73rd

2009-10-12 05:39:57 PM
40below has got to be a bot. There's no other explanation.

2009-10-12 05:41:29 PM
Jeeeez! Congrats man! There are far worse hobbies to have...

2009-10-12 05:43:08 PM
Is 40below an actual single person? Nobody is that witty and that bored at the same time, and moreover this assumes a 100% success rating on submissions. I doubt 40below has been greenlit on every submission, suggesting a much larger number of attempts. Again, no single person is that bored, even in prison.

I call shenanigans.

2009-10-12 05:43:19 PM
Congratulations, 40below. As your reward, you've been enrolled in the jelly-of-the-month club.

2009-10-12 05:44:24 PM
CynicalLA: It seems Fark is an enabler. What's next? Congratulating alcoholics and people with gambling problems.

OF Course. Duh.

2009-10-12 05:46:09 PM
www.oln.ca

Congrats!

2009-10-12 05:47:01 PM
Woo hoo! Made the headlines of the week!

/err... submitted

2009-10-12 05:50:17 PM
Oh, and congrats 40below

2009-10-12 05:54:46 PM
Oh_Enough_Already: Hell, it's their site they can do what they wish but allowing everybody to falsely believe that the link approval process is an even-handed one is fundamentally dishonest.

Yeah, pretty much. I submit once in a while, acknowledge the insta-reject, and then remember that there's really no point to it. Seriously, the last several that I've submitted have immediately shown up in my "links not approved" list. I submitted on one tab, refreshed my profile on another tab, and there it was, rejected within a couple of seconds at most. It appears that some form of insta-reject list is maintained. There's no way they're doing that manually. I guess I've somehow found my way to the modmin ignore list. Maybe some others are also on some sort of insta-approve list.

Anyway, you;'re absolutely right. It's pretty shiatty that they post friendly "how to get approved" suggestions with the implication that there's even a reasonable chance of being greenlit on the merits of the submission. It wouldn't bother me as much if they'd come clean about the criteria.

2009-10-12 05:57:16 PM
img.youtube.com
IN A ROW?

Congratulations, you green-hogging piece of crap. Let somebody else have a chance, you jerk.

/bitter "zero approved" loser

2009-10-12 05:57:40 PM
But does he still not have a heater in his truck?

/not obscure

2009-10-12 05:58:08 PM
"Ever have a guy run at you with a rust-covered AK blasting Soviet-era ammo and screaming in Farsi where the only word you understand is Allah as you hear the bullets whip past your head until someone shoots the asshole?"

2009-10-12 05:58:24 PM
Wow 40below. My first impression was get a life! Then I saw your profile, and I want to say thanks to you and everyone else who has gone over to Afghanistan and do what you do!

Here's to 10,000 more, every five years!

Take care.

ps You should get free TF for life. Tell Drew I approved it.

2009-10-12 06:03:42 PM

Yeah, he's got 10,000 greens but lets see if he could do the same starting fresh today with a new login that has no clout and a non-TF account.

Don't hold your breath . . . .

/not impressed by Barry Bonds either.

Normally, I just let this sort of nonsense go, but I'm going to respond because you're speaking as some kind of authority on a matter that you have no real knowledge of.

On some occasions, a link that was redlit is later green. This has nothing at all to do with who submitted it, but rather it's a link that got a lot of +1 votes and another admin liked it and decided it was overlooked by accident. There is no consideration made for who submitted it. Not sure where you're coming from when you say, "Once RED, things are supposed to STAY RED." It smacks of an authoritarianism that really doesn't exist from Drew or any of the admins/mods, and I've met every one of them.

It is. I know because I do it. I have to pass up some great headlines sometimes because they're repeats, or I miss some great headlines because I miss the cultural reference. I select links if the headline is funny or if the link is sufficiently interesting. That's it. No more, no less. Your assertion of "fundamental dishonesty" would be irritating if it weren't so easy for me to dismiss.

2009-10-12 06:04:29 PM
yeah, but my account number is a lot lower.

1 greenlight, proud of it.

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | » | Last | Show all