Congratulations to 40below for achieving 10,000 greenlights on Fark. Also some of Fark's favorite Headlines of the Week for 10/4 - 10/10
Posted by Drew at 2009-10-12 3:15:18 PM (445 comments) | Permalink

11526 clicks; posted to Main » on 12 Oct 2009 at 3:17 PM (4 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»

A lot of times before we get to the Headline of the Week, we do a little writeup on media trends, but this week we have a happy milestone to announce. Today, our most prolific submitter--you know him as 40below--passed 10,000 greenlights. Congratulations, sir, you've accomplished a feat that is difficult to imagine even among the regular submitters.

Considering that his account was created back in February 2004, that means he's averaged about 5.5 greenlights a day, every day since he joined. You may use your own adjectives for that, but I'm going to pick impressive.

While the importance of the Fark community cannot be downplayed, the submitters are often overlooked unless they come into a popular thread and take the occasional well-deserved bow. It's easy to recognize the popular posters because they're so visible, but the submitters provide so much of the entertainment value here. They're the ones that not only find fresh oddball and weird news stories, but then go the extra mile by crafting the headlines that have made nearly everybody here laugh at inappropriate times in the office, occasionally during meetings, and have made us all spit out our beverage of choice onto our keyboards.

Thank you, 40below. Good work.

Headlines Of The Week for Sun 2009-10-04 to Sat 2009-10-10:

img1.fark.net  New eye-examiner had internship in Alaska; may be an optical Aleutian    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Cookbook for cancer patients: "We were hoping for tumor chapters, but the publisher said there could only benign"    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  300 U.S. children are burned each day. Well done parents    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Helen Keller to be honored with a statue on Capitol Hill. Guess hiding from the Nazis all those years finally paid off    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Barack Obama linked to terrorist Yasser Arafat    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Man finally wins his battle to have the "refrigerator from hell" replaced. In related news, the triumphal return of Gozer has been postponed indefinitely    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Trio of burglars steals $100K in perfume. Authorities encourage citizens to report any information through the appropriate Chanels    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Golfer loses arm after being attacked by alligator. No word on what his handicap is now    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  United Nations plane crash leaves 11 dead, food for the whole village    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  This Sunday, the Pope will canonize five new saints, including one from Hawaii. Wait, what? After only eight months in office?    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Convicted sex offender sues state, claiming his arrest for attending a church with a daycare restricts his First Amendment rights, dating opportunities    img.fark.net

Sports:

img1.fark.net  One legged fighter becomes the first disabled competitor to win an MMA bout, receiving a leaning ovation from the crowd    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  St. Louis Blues investigating escalator that injured thirteen, left a dozen stranded for hours    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  College bands reprimanded for playing at "inappropriate times" during football game, presumably 7/16 or 9/23    img.fark.net

Geek:

img1.fark.net  Children as young as five found to be using the Internet without parental supervision. All of a sudden the Politics tab makes sense    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Blackbirds found to have better understanding of physics than chimpanzees, liberal arts majors    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  U.S. develops plan to control massive wild horse population in western states. We won't get into the details, but hope you enjoy your next My Little McPony Happy Meal    img.fark.net

Showbiz:

img1.fark.net  "Zombieland" takes the box office Friday, proving people really do love brainless entertainment    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Jude Law's "Hamlet" falls somewhere between "to see" and "not to see"    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  The Godfather and its sequels are the classic films Britons are the most likely to claim to have seen without actually watching the movies. Except for Godfather 3, nobody would ever admit to watching that    img.fark.net

Politics:

img1.fark.net  Obamas share quiet dinner to celebrate wedding anniversary, last time anyone accepted one of Barack's proposals    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Obama will donate his $1.4 million in Nobel Prize money to charity, the Foundation for Rubbing it in Bill and Hillary Clinton's Smug Faces    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Hillary Clinton settles dispute between Turkey and Armenia. If only there was some prize she could win to show how she's making peace in the world    img.fark.net

Music:

img1.fark.net  U2 'desperate' to have their own video game reflective of the band but say they can't find a developer able to design a game that is equal parts pompous and suck and that drags on for hours without actually getting anywhere    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Jethro Tull shows what happens if you mix the drugs of Burning Man, Bill The Butcher's kid brother and an unreleased dance number from The Lord of the Rings    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Jay-Z credits Wham as an early influence. Is there no end to Andrew Ridgeley's reign of terror?    img.fark.net

Business:

img1.fark.net  Dutch start Europe's first camel dairy, proving once again that there's no idea so dumb that the Dutch won't try it first    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Headline: "Verizon to sell 2 Google phones this year". Why all the optimism, Verizon?    img.fark.net

img1.fark.net  Starbucks sues former executive who moved to Dunkin' Donuts. Legal experts say plaintiff has grounds    img.fark.net
(view entire blog)

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | » | Last | Show all

2009-10-12 04:22:40 PM
40below,

First, find some balance in your life.

Secondly, you really shouldn't put this much effort into something you don't get paid for. Or even worse, if you pay for a subscription - then that's going in the wrong direction even further!

Free advice, yours for the taking...

2009-10-12 04:22:47 PM
Crunch61: Let's see... 15 season passes at Heavenly or marriage, mortgage, and kids. If I could go back, I'd take the passes.

Boring monotony vs. skiing & golf. Hmmmm, real tough decision there.

2009-10-12 04:23:11 PM
Tonight, I shall guzzle a brewski (not that cheap Heiniken crap either) in your honor. This milestone deserves the best...Sam Adams Boston Lager with Johnnie Walker Blue chaser

2009-10-12 04:23:20 PM
Cool, I only have about 10,000 or so to catch up.

2009-10-12 04:23:57 PM
Not hating on the guy, but I'm actually not impressed. More disappointed than anything else.

2009-10-12 04:24:35 PM
Boring monotony vs. skiing & golf.

Boring monotony vs. skiing & Boring monotony.

2009-10-12 04:24:36 PM
Tigggy: ...still trying to figure out who you gotta fark to get greenlit...
.....

Just submit a lot. Write the headlines as if you were making a wise crack in the comments. Also, admins like puns.

2009-10-12 04:25:23 PM
GET A LIFE 40BELOW.

/congrats dude

2009-10-12 04:25:34 PM
I'm sure he would trade those 10,000 headlines for just one day with working legs and a girl.

2009-10-12 04:26:02 PM
So why all the hate? Is this some kind of successful post submitting envy?

/Don't cast stones, etc.

2009-10-12 04:26:48 PM
And I bet it only takes him 15 minutes a day.

/Because 40below is teh awesum.

2009-10-12 04:28:03 PM
Really? 10,000 greenlights, and all he gets is "Congratulations"?

I'm thinking "hooker-gram".

2009-10-12 04:28:07 PM
i32.tinypic.com
"We are not worthy."

surprised I'm the first.

2009-10-12 04:28:39 PM
OUT THE SUBMITT... err, wait. Never mind.

Congrats, 40below. Oh, and

p the boiler: can we get a list of everything he submitted?

Here ya go.

2009-10-12 04:28:56 PM
Kwality Assurance: I moved to Tahoe with some friends when I was 21. I moved away at 24. One of my friends is still there. I was talking to him about a year ago and asked him when he was going to leave. In the last 15 years I'd graduated college, got a nice career, got married, had a kid, bought a house, saved for retirement, etc. I asked him what he'd done besides waiting table at Apple Bees. He said he'd bought 15 season passes at Heavenly and another 15 season passes at the golf course. He's now 41 and life is just passing him by. Soon we'll both be 65 and I'll be enjoying my retirement spending at least a month a year on vacation in Tahoe while he'll probably still be my waiter.

So, when you're both retired, he'll be living in Tahoe year-round, while you'll only be able to go there for a month every year? And you think life is passing him by?

Newsflash: Spouses, kids, houses, and "nice careers" aren't everyone's idea of a life well spent.

2009-10-12 04:29:09 PM
rancidPlasma: Tigggy: ...still trying to figure out who you gotta fark to get greenlit...
.....

submit an oldlegacy headline from an oldlegacy greenlit article - at least 10 of those get through each week.

2009-10-12 04:29:12 PM
10,000 greenlights? You must be older than dirt. :P

Freak. :P

2009-10-12 04:29:25 PM

2009-10-12 04:29:29 PM
Kongratz! 40below however you're still on ignore.

2009-10-12 04:30:22 PM
Unfreakable: Congratulations, man. That's damn impressive.

impressive? the word you are looking for is pathetic

2009-10-12 04:30:24 PM
i haz 3 grenlights

2009-10-12 04:30:36 PM
"Everybody who contributes to Fark in some small way makes this place better. And today, I want to give a nod to somebody who has helped make Fark into something special."

Are you sure about that, Drew? I mean, seriously? Right?

2009-10-12 04:31:28 PM
I don't think I've ever seen him post a comment.

2009-10-12 04:31:42 PM
And I haven't got one in over a year? WTF

2009-10-12 04:33:03 PM
I bet he's having a mental break down right now. So sad.

2009-10-12 04:33:43 PM
Well new we know where all the NRO submissions are coming from.

congrats 40below.

2009-10-12 04:34:23 PM
CynicalLA: I bet he's having a mental break down right now. So sad.

You seem to be the bitter person.

I give this person the congratulations.

2009-10-12 04:35:10 PM

I think this would be to CynicalLA.

2009-10-12 04:35:49 PM
meow said the dog: CynicalLA: I bet he's having a mental break down right now. So sad.

You seem to be the bitter person.

I give this person the congratulations.

Congratulations for wasting your life, well done.

2009-10-12 04:35:55 PM
Congrats 40below!

/got 14 greens myself

2009-10-12 04:35:56 PM

You seem to be the bitter person.

I give this person the congratulations.

Laughter OL!

Where have you been, our inarticulate friend?

2009-10-12 04:36:16 PM
First, that is awesome! Congratulations! Can you submit one in my name so I can FINALLY break my cherry?

2009-10-12 04:36:18 PM
You get greenlit more often than I fart. Nice job 40below

2009-10-12 04:37:15 PM
meow said the dog: Majin_Buu: I want to see the award for most links submitted without a single greenlight now.

I think this would be to CynicalLA.

I never submit anything.

2009-10-12 04:37:19 PM
i'd love to know what his favorites were

2009-10-12 04:37:23 PM
DammitIForgotMyLogin: Having more than 10 greenlights is a sure sign that you really need to find something better to do with your life.

/wait, what?

Congrats on the milestone dude

Your jealousy is showing...

2009-10-12 04:39:01 PM
varmint runnin' round: Second, is it kind of like a snowball effect? Like the mods see that he is submitting and has a history of good stuff so they immediately look at his subs first? Or is he just buying them off with beer?

I'm sure it's some sort of snowball effect. Not necessarily the one you just described...

2009-10-12 04:39:10 PM
fritopendejo: They_no_kill_BakBak: Yoduh: 40below fark profile (new window)

why all the 'get a life' hate?

there's his life, defending yours.

now don't you feel a bit silly now?

not as silly as you when you realize it's photoshopped.

how can you tell?

The pixels have obviously been tampered with, and not to toot my own horn, but I've come across enough pieces of photoshopped works in my time to be somewhat of an authority.

2009-10-12 04:39:19 PM
Congratulations, man. I think.

2009-10-12 04:39:36 PM
bradkanus: uh... The dude isn't funny at all proving that he knows the guy who greenlights shiat. Just like on Jim Rome's radio show, you get your shiat read if you know someone. I see many more clever submissions out there that don't go green and it's because certain people have certain friends and certain shiat like htis happens. Being a totalfarker has its advantages - you get to see everything that didn't go green and there's lots of clever, funny stuff the lites don't get to see.

Who conspiracy-trolls a thread like this? I mean, really?

40below: Thank you for your service. Given where you are, good idea finding an indoor hobby for your downtime. Stay safe.

2009-10-12 04:40:54 PM
Congrats -40! On your milestone, and on getting your own brand new fan club full of retards. And thanks for doing what so many of the submitters are not willing to do...make the effort and take the time to actually make the headline funny.

/Where you are from, what you do IRL, etc. are all pretty irrelevant to me. Whatever they may be, I hope they make you happy.

2009-10-12 04:41:43 PM
It seems Fark is an enabler. What's next? Congratulating alcoholics and people with gambling problems.

2009-10-12 04:42:20 PM
Between the time this thread was started and now, 40Below has gotten at least two more greenlights ...

2009-10-12 04:42:47 PM
After looking at 40below's profile I think he deserves the medal more then Obama.

/Can't have a Fark thread without mentioning Obama

2009-10-12 04:43:09 PM
felixecho: Nice job. I haven't managed to get a single submission in the last 8 years.

You and I are the lepers of FARK.

Also sporting a goose egg.

2009-10-12 04:43:53 PM

That could actually be more impressive than 40below's feat in its way.

2009-10-12 04:44:11 PM
Broz_Tito: Get a life 40below.

this

2009-10-12 04:44:45 PM
Yoduh: there's his life, defending yours.

now don't you feel a bit silly now?

To be fair, he's a Canadian soldier. So that's like 7/10.

I Keed! I keed! Thanks for the yucks, meng.

2009-10-12 04:45:40 PM
Gee, that's all?

2009-10-12 04:46:03 PM
The curious thing to me is:

Who's in 2nd, and how far behind are they?

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | » | Last | Show all