Do you have adblock enabled?
 
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Five Thirty-Eight)   Nate Silver says the Cavs only have a 2% chance of winning the NBA title   ( projects.fivethirtyeight.com) divider line
    More: Dumbass  
•       •       •

481 clicks; posted to Sports » on 14 Apr 2017 at 2:10 PM (27 weeks ago)   |   Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



18 Comments     (+0 »)
 
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2017-04-14 02:54:14 PM  
Somebody leaked him a copy of the script?
 
2017-04-14 03:30:12 PM  
img.fark.net
 
2017-04-14 03:31:30 PM  
The Cave are significantly more vulnerable to a threat in the east than in past seasons, so not all that surprising. Basically no one not named Lebron is really showing up on both sides of the floor.
 
2017-04-14 03:37:10 PM  
Eh, they are comparing them to every other teams chances, not a one-to-one comparison. And the Warriors are such heavy favorites it deflates it for everyone else.

And they play terrible D. I still think they will win the East, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Raptors or Wizards make the Finals.
 
2017-04-14 04:01:37 PM  
Ya know they say all teams are created equal but you look at Golden State and you look at Cleveland and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one-on-one with another basketball team, you got a 50/50 chance of winnin. But Golden State are genetic freaks, and they ain't normal. So you got a 25%, at best, at beat them. Then you add San Antonio into the mix? Your chances of winnin' drastic go down. See, the NBA playoffs, Clevelend has a 33 1/3 chance of winnin. But Golden State has a 66 2/3% chance of winnin cuz San Antonio KNOWS they can't beat Golden State, and they're not even gonna try. So, Cleveland, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus your 25% chance, and you got a 8 1/3 chance of winnin. But then you take Golden State's 75% chance and add 66 2/3% chance, they got 141 2/3% chance of winnin the NBA finals!

Senor Lebron, the numbers don't LIE and they spell disaster for you, at the NBA finals!
 
2017-04-14 04:10:44 PM  
Makes sense to rank them behind the Celtics, just based on basic records analysis. Putting them behind the Raptors and Wizards is a bit crazy, though. I guess 528 is assuming that the last few games before the playoffs are predictive of playoff performance
 
2017-04-14 04:29:27 PM  

steiner_math: Ya know they say all teams are created equal but you look at Golden State and you look at Cleveland and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one-on-one with another basketball team, you got a 50/50 chance of winnin. But Golden State are genetic freaks, and they ain't normal. So you got a 25%, at best, at beat them. Then you add San Antonio into the mix? Your chances of winnin' drastic go down. See, the NBA playoffs, Clevelend has a 33 1/3 chance of winnin. But Golden State has a 66 2/3% chance of winnin cuz San Antonio KNOWS they can't beat Golden State, and they're not even gonna try. So, Cleveland, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus your 25% chance, and you got a 8 1/3 chance of winnin. But then you take Golden State's 75% chance and add 66 2/3% chance, they got 141 2/3% chance of winnin the NBA finals!

Senor Lebron, the numbers don't LIE and they spell disaster for you, at the NBA finals!


When did Mike_LoWeLl get an alt?
 
2017-04-14 05:22:01 PM  

steiner_math: Ya know they say all teams are created equal but you look at Golden State and you look at Cleveland and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one-on-one with another basketball team, you got a 50/50 chance of winnin. But Golden State are genetic freaks, and they ain't normal. So you got a 25%, at best, at beat them. Then you add San Antonio into the mix? Your chances of winnin' drastic go down. See, the NBA playoffs, Clevelend has a 33 1/3 chance of winnin. But Golden State has a 66 2/3% chance of winnin cuz San Antonio KNOWS they can't beat Golden State, and they're not even gonna try. So, Cleveland, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus your 25% chance, and you got a 8 1/3 chance of winnin. But then you take Golden State's 75% chance and add 66 2/3% chance, they got 141 2/3% chance of winnin the NBA finals!

Senor Lebron, the numbers don't LIE and they spell disaster for you, at the NBA finals!


Interesting... you provided a bunch of numbers, but didn't once say WHY those numbers are such.   I put my Cavs against the Warriors, and i ain't see nobody on the Dubs with the mentality of snatching a ring from the Champs, other than Draymond Green.   Curry and Klay will shrink again, and KD will look nice, but not doing anything in crunch.
 
2017-04-14 06:09:53 PM  

T.rex: Interesting... you provided a bunch of numbers, but didn't once say WHY those numbers are such.


Here ya go.
Professor Scott Steiner Typography
Youtube WFoC3TR5rzI
 
2017-04-14 06:23:44 PM  
 
2017-04-14 06:36:44 PM  
Stick to sports!
 
2017-04-14 06:37:41 PM  
2% chance of being right pretty much describes Silver's prognostication abilities in sports and politics.

/Remember 'Hillary wins in a runaway'?
//doh!
 
2017-04-14 06:52:53 PM  

GardenWeasel: [img.fark.net image 480x270]


Lance is a moron but I'll be damned if I'm not happy to have him back
 
2017-04-14 07:02:53 PM  
img.fark.net
 
2017-04-14 07:51:44 PM  

redmid17: GardenWeasel: [img.fark.net image 480x270]

Lance is a moron but I'll be damned if I'm not happy to have him back


Yup
 
2017-04-14 08:27:45 PM  
I came to make a Steiner reference but I see I was gloriously beaten to that particular punch.

I'll just see myself out.
 
2017-04-14 08:52:54 PM  

Lt. Cheese Weasel: 2% chance of being right pretty much describes Silver's prognostication abilities in sports and politics.

/Remember 'Hillary wins in a runaway'?
//doh!


No, it was a 2 out of 3 chance.  You're supposed to be wrong 1 out of 3 times.  That was a much better chance for Trump than anyone else gave.  And Hillary did win the popular vote by quite a lot.
 
2017-04-14 09:25:13 PM  

12349876: Lt. Cheese Weasel: 2% chance of being right pretty much describes Silver's prognostication abilities in sports and politics.

/Remember 'Hillary wins in a runaway'?
//doh!

No, it was a 2 out of 3 chance.  You're supposed to be wrong 1 out of 3 times.  That was a much better chance for Trump than anyone else gave.  And Hillary did win the popular vote by quite a lot.


=================================================

By the very end, it was even less than that I do believe and I called him out as an idiot.  On Fark.

Turns out I was a bigger idiot.

/Though, not nearly as big as all the idiots that voted for Trump.
 
Displayed 18 of 18 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking

On Twitter





Top Commented
Javascript is required to view headlines in widget.
  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.

Report