If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Bloomberg)   U.S. ebola patient Brantly will soon be released from hospital in Atlanta, begin his search for CARRRL   (bloomberg.com) divider line 100
    More: Followup  
•       •       •

1737 clicks; posted to Main » on 21 Aug 2014 at 10:36 AM (16 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



100 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all
 
2014-08-21 08:23:44 AM  
img3.owned.com
 
2014-08-21 09:59:39 AM  
i.imgur.com
 
2014-08-21 10:21:59 AM  
I'd just like to say 'Ebola' spelled backwards is 'Alobe'.

Alobe.

This means something...
 
2014-08-21 10:37:48 AM  
I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?
 
2014-08-21 10:38:21 AM  
38.media.tumblr.com
 
2014-08-21 10:38:38 AM  

gopher321: I'd just like to say 'Ebola' spelled backwards is 'Alobe'.

Alobe.

This means something...


I ear what you're saying
 
2014-08-21 10:40:17 AM  

Elegy: [i.imgur.com image 230x515]


This meme I like...
 
2014-08-21 10:40:23 AM  
Thanks, Ebola.
 
2014-08-21 10:40:35 AM  
... Wow. this is almost exactly the same headline I submitted this with a week ago.
 
2014-08-21 10:41:08 AM  

Elegy: [i.imgur.com image 230x515]


www.bullshift.net
 
2014-08-21 10:41:17 AM  
Is this one of the two that Trump and Coulter wanted to die over there?

Do those two have any shame?
 
2014-08-21 10:41:38 AM  
I was certain it'd be this...

www.adweek.com
www.filmcow.com
 
2014-08-21 10:41:48 AM  

scubamage: I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?


Yeah, male patients can still transfer the virus via semen for up to 8 weeks after recovery.

I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible... especially since any masturbation or nocturnal emissions would contaminate whatever the fluid got onto, and pose an infectio infection hazard for anyone that lives with him.
 
2014-08-21 10:42:44 AM  

Rhino_man: scubamage: I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?

Yeah, male patients can still transfer the virus via semen for up to 8 weeks after recovery.

I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible... especially since any masturbation or nocturnal emissions would contaminate whatever the fluid got onto, and pose an infectio infection hazard for anyone that lives with him.


A typ typo hazard as well!
 
2014-08-21 10:43:21 AM  
media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com
 
2014-08-21 10:44:05 AM  

Rhino_man: scubamage: I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?

Yeah, male patients can still transfer the virus via semen for up to 8 weeks after recovery.

I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible... especially since any masturbation or nocturnal emissions would contaminate whatever the fluid got onto, and pose an infectio infection hazard for anyone that lives with him.


Wrap that rascal before you go to bed.
 
2014-08-21 10:44:06 AM  
QFTA:

Ebola has historically killed as many as 90 percent of those who contract it. The current outbreak has claimed the lives of about 55 percent of its victims.


Additionally, there are reports of areas that have populations with ebola antibodies that have never reported a case of ebola.

So it may not be the killer it's rumored to be. Although, when it kills you, it really, really, really kills you.
 
2014-08-21 10:44:34 AM  
Damnit ChipNASA.

That's why your favorited, great minds, etc.
 
2014-08-21 10:45:12 AM  
"You're", goddamnit.
 
2014-08-21 10:47:50 AM  

Jiro Dreams Of McRibs: QFTA:

...

So it may not be the killer it's rumored to be. Although, when it kills you, it really, really, really kills you.


4.bp.blogspot.com
 
2014-08-21 10:49:18 AM  

Rhino_man: I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible


Why would they have to tell him anything? You do realize what this guy was doing before he got infected, right?
 
2014-08-21 10:50:07 AM  
Rick was in a Tennessee hospital subby not Georgia.
 
2014-08-21 10:54:37 AM  

SewerSquirrels: Rhino_man: I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible

Why would they have to tell him anything? You do realize what this guy was doing before he got infected, right?


Should we just assume that he knows what he's doing?

He did get infected....which indicates he doesn't know what he's doing.
 
2014-08-21 10:54:37 AM  
www.charactergrades.com
 
2014-08-21 10:55:27 AM  
Meanwhile in Liberia a 10-year-old boy with Ebola sits naked on a bucket in a back alley street, with everyone afraid to touch him and just giving him dirty looks. Why wasn't he given Ebola drugs to cure him? Oh wait, he's poor and black so he doesn't get sh*t. If it makes you feel any better he's probably dead by now.

i.dailymail.co.uk

i.dailymail.co.uk
 
2014-08-21 10:56:13 AM  
This will not end well. Thanks a lot Obama.
 
2014-08-21 10:56:37 AM  
It's Coral, stupid subby
 
2014-08-21 10:58:57 AM  

Rhino_man: scubamage: I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?

Yeah, male patients can still transfer the virus via semen for up to 8 weeks after recovery.

I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible... especially since any masturbation or nocturnal emissions would contaminate whatever the fluid got onto, and pose an infectio infection hazard for anyone that lives with him.


Is this a troll?  The top infectious disease scientists in the world have made this decision, and some guy on the internet is like "seems irresponsible".

You're going to have to accept that what seems to you is irrelevant because you're way out of your depth in this area.
 
2014-08-21 10:59:00 AM  
Ah Carl. My favorite reason to root for the zombies...although, in a just world, it would be the writers who would be eaten by the rotting freaks. Slowly. Very very slowly.
 
2014-08-21 10:59:54 AM  

Walker: Meanwhile in Liberia a 10-year-old boy with Ebola sits naked on a bucket in a back alley street, with everyone afraid to touch him and just giving him dirty looks. Why wasn't he given Ebola drugs to cure him? Oh wait, he's poor and black so he doesn't get sh*t. If it makes you feel any better he's probably dead by now.

[i.dailymail.co.uk image 634x434]

[i.dailymail.co.uk image 634x424]


Not sure if serious...
 
2014-08-21 11:01:14 AM  

Rapmaster2000: Rhino_man: scubamage: I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?

Yeah, male patients can still transfer the virus via semen for up to 8 weeks after recovery.

I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible... especially since any masturbation or nocturnal emissions would contaminate whatever the fluid got onto, and pose an infectio infection hazard for anyone that lives with him.

Is this a troll?  The top infectious disease scientists in the world have made this decision, and some guy on the internet is like "seems irresponsible".

You're going to have to accept that what seems to you is irrelevant because you're way out of your depth in this area.


No sex for 8 weeks? I can do that.
 
2014-08-21 11:03:03 AM  

texdent: Rapmaster2000: Rhino_man: scubamage: I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?

Yeah, male patients can still transfer the virus via semen for up to 8 weeks after recovery.

I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible... especially since any masturbation or nocturnal emissions would contaminate whatever the fluid got onto, and pose an infectio infection hazard for anyone that lives with him.

Is this a troll?  The top infectious disease scientists in the world have made this decision, and some guy on the internet is like "seems irresponsible".

You're going to have to accept that what seems to you is irrelevant because you're way out of your depth in this area.

No sex for 8 weeks? I can do that.


My first marriage was like that.  I got used to it.
 
2014-08-21 11:05:09 AM  
 
2014-08-21 11:10:28 AM  
4.bp.blogspot.com
 
2014-08-21 11:12:31 AM  

Walker: Meanwhile in Liberia a 10-year-old boy with Ebola sits naked on a bucket in a back alley street, with everyone afraid to touch him and just giving him dirty looks. Why wasn't he given Ebola drugs to cure him? Oh wait, he's poor and black so he doesn't get sh*t. If it makes you feel any better he's probably dead by now.

[i.dailymail.co.uk image 634x434]

[i.dailymail.co.uk image 634x424]


Being black only matters if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton can exploit you to further enrich themselves
 
2014-08-21 11:13:19 AM  
Not trying to second guess the doctors in this case; genuine question.

When we vaccinate against viruses, it is my understanding that there is a residual of that virus in the body but that the body creates antibodies that ward off the symptoms of the virus.  I'm certain there is some virologist on Fark who can clarify that for me.  It would just seem to me that exposing the general public to this guy would risk some transfer of some form of this virus to another person who does not have the necessary antibodies to fight it off.

I am very happy that this guy recovered.  If it can be determined that the treatment he received helped, what would it take to get that into significant production and made more widely available?

Gotta go do productive things.  Will check back later for responses.
 
2014-08-21 11:15:45 AM  

Elegy: [i.imgur.com image 230x515]


That's the most hilarious thing I've seen this month. Thanks!
 
2014-08-21 11:16:40 AM  

Walker: Meanwhile in Liberia a 10-year-old boy with Ebola sits naked on a bucket in a back alley street, with everyone afraid to touch him and just giving him dirty looks. Why wasn't he given Ebola drugs to cure him? Oh wait, he's poor and black so he doesn't get sh*t. If it makes you feel any better he's probably dead by now.

[i.dailymail.co.uk image 634x434]

[i.dailymail.co.uk image 634x424]


In the case you're referencing, he was taken from the Ebola treatment center by the  rioters.  As for treatment options, most are available at the said treatment centers (why they put one in a densely populated slum, is another matter).  As for the said wonder drug, they already shipped them all to Liberia.  There weren't very many dosages to begin w/ since they were being used on trials on mice.  Also, the main ingredient for this drug is a GMO tobacco that until recently was only grown in small batches for the aforementioned trials, so it will be a few more months before more will be available.  The previous concern, in utilizing an untried drug on foreign nationals, it would make the company that produced the drug look unethical.  As for the health workers given the drug, they were educated on the subject matter and were able to give inferred consent on an untested treatment.

That said, since the fatality rate has dropped from 90% to 55%, It could be a case that this is a less virulent strain of the virus, or, the health care experts now understand how to treat it better due to previous outbreaks.
 
2014-08-21 11:19:23 AM  

Jiro Dreams Of McRibs: The current outbreak has claimed the lives of about 55 percent of its victims.

...So it may not be the killer it's rumored to be. Although, when it kills you, it really, really, really kills you.


If I told you there's a 45% chance you'd be fine, and a 55% chance you'd painfully bleed to death from your anus, how would you feel about your odds?
 
2014-08-21 11:21:51 AM  
weknowmemes.com
 
2014-08-21 11:22:58 AM  

Rapmaster2000: Rhino_man: scubamage: I thought an ebola patient could be contagious for months after the virus stopped showing symptoms?

Yeah, male patients can still transfer the virus via semen for up to 8 weeks after recovery.

I guarantee they've told him not to have sex, but it still seems irresponsible... especially since any masturbation or nocturnal emissions would contaminate whatever the fluid got onto, and pose an infectio infection hazard for anyone that lives with him.

Is this a troll?  The top infectious disease scientists in the world have made this decision, and some guy on the internet is like "seems irresponsible".

You're going to have to accept that what seems to you is irrelevant because you're way out of your depth in this area.


Once again the naysayers come up.

When top guys on the Internet say that President Obama's "birth certificate" shows clear signs of forgery, they are dismissed merely because they are supposedly not educated expects with direct research experience.

When top guys on the Internet dispute the theory of evolution, they are dismissed merely because they have never studied biology (or scientific methodolgy at all).

When top guys on the Internet dispute the science of "climate change", they are dismissed because they have never studied climatology.

Now, when top guys on the Internet express concern over the release of an Ebola patient, they are dismissed because they lack any education in pathology and because they have not in any way been involved in the treatment and observation of the patient.

I have had enough dismissals of top guys on the Internet. The time has come to recognize that the fair marketplace of ideas, and the very concept of fairness itself, means that their ignorance is just as good as the knowledge of educated experts.
 
2014-08-21 11:25:15 AM  
I'm watching this guys press conference right now. He says God called him to serve the people of Liberia. He mentioned wanting to bring glory to God. He thanked God for "sparing his life" and said his recovery is an example of prayers being answered. He said God cured him through the doctors that helped him and the experimental drug. He seemed sort of arrogant.
 
2014-08-21 11:26:19 AM  

Gonz: Jiro Dreams Of McRibs: The current outbreak has claimed the lives of about 55 percent of its victims.

...So it may not be the killer it's rumored to be. Although, when it kills you, it really, really, really kills you.

If I told you there's a 45% chance you'd be fine, and a 55% chance you'd painfully bleed to death from your anus, how would you feel about your odds?


I would hope for totally tight butthole but expect totally loose butthole.
 
2014-08-21 11:28:41 AM  

rbuzby: I'm watching this guys press conference right now. He says God called him to serve the people of Liberia. He mentioned wanting to bring glory to God. He thanked God for "sparing his life" and said his recovery is an example of prayers being answered. He said God cured him through the doctors that helped him and the experimental drug. He seemed sort of arrogant.


How is giving Glory to God a demonstration of arrogance? He is recognizing that he was powerless against the disease, and that only through the power of God was he allowed to recover, unlike the thousands of infected Africans who apparently were not sufficiently blessed or special to warrant God's attention.
 
2014-08-21 11:30:24 AM  
Not to sound heartless, but this is a virus, it's not dead, it's dormant. Are you farking kidding me?!
 
2014-08-21 11:31:43 AM  

Elegy: [i.imgur.com image 230x515]


I really shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am at that one.  beautiful.
 
2014-08-21 11:36:50 AM  
Oh, yeah, I'm sure it would have looked just GREAT had the white imperialist tested their unproven treatments on the poor black people of Africa.

Yeah, that would have been considered just spiffy!
 
2014-08-21 11:41:41 AM  

Dimensio: rbuzby: I'm watching this guys press conference right now. He says God called him to serve the people of Liberia. He mentioned wanting to bring glory to God. He thanked God for "sparing his life" and said his recovery is an example of prayers being answered. He said God cured him through the doctors that helped him and the experimental drug. He seemed sort of arrogant.

How is giving Glory to God a demonstration of arrogance? He is recognizing that he was powerless against the disease, and that only through the power of God was he allowed to recover, unlike the thousands of infected Africans who apparently were not sufficiently blessed or special to warrant God's attention.


I think the idea of "bringing glory to God" is ridiculous and arrogant in itself.  As if God needs you to do that. Some young male doctors have a certain arrogance, and this guy is one who thinks he is doing gods work, and that god intervened in his situation for some special reason.  He has the usual arrogance, plus the extra arrogance you get when you think you know what god wants and you are doing it.

Of course I like him better than people who think god wants them to stop others from getting married or getting birth control.  But his press conference statement had a "Behold!  My recovery is proof that god exists and he answers prayers!" vibe to it.  That is the arrogance.
 
2014-08-21 11:41:57 AM  
i1182.photobucket.com
 
2014-08-21 11:46:52 AM  
I always liked this one:

mentalitymagazine.com
 
Displayed 50 of 100 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »
On Twitter





In Other Media


Report