Do you have adblock enabled?
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(BusinessWeek)   MillerCoors unable to replicate astounding success of Blue Moon "craft" beer with spin-off Blue Moon "seasonal" varieties   (businessweek.com) divider line 51
    More: Obvious  
•       •       •

1267 clicks; posted to Business » on 27 Jul 2014 at 7:01 PM (26 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



51 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all
 
2014-07-27 05:33:09 PM  
I "like" it so I "drink" it regardless of who "makes" it.
 
2014-07-27 05:56:45 PM  
Blue Moon is OK, it's probably better than run-of-the-mill Coors, but I'm not a fan of wheat beers in general so perhaps I'm not the best one to ask.

Sierra Nevada has grown into a pretty big brewery but their Pale Ale is one of the best beers on the market IMO, so I will admit something doesn't have to come from a tiny craft brewery to be worthwhile.
 
2014-07-27 05:59:39 PM  
Nothing wrong with Blue Moon if you like drinking beer with clay in it.
 
2014-07-27 06:54:46 PM  
Probably because Pete Coors doesn't understand the whole craft beer "thing"
 
2014-07-27 07:18:11 PM  
Subby, you misspelled "crap"
 
2014-07-27 07:20:08 PM  
Part of the issue is Blue Moon was sh*tty beer in the first place.
 
2014-07-27 07:35:20 PM  
It's a sellout beer anyways. I only drink a beer that is made one bottle at a time, by a secret society deep in the mountains of Kansas. It's so exclusive, it doesn't have a name, just a symbol.
 
2014-07-27 07:37:17 PM  
Has anyone pointed out that "subby" really likes to use "quotation marks?"
 
2014-07-27 07:55:35 PM  
Blue Moon has been around since the 90s at least.  Maybe I just missed it, but it seems to be fairly recently that they started claiming it was a craft beer.  It's like they chose their worst seller, started calling it a craft beer, and kept pushing and pushing it even though it never caught on.
 
2014-07-27 07:56:53 PM  

cameroncrazy1984: Probably because Pete Coors doesn't understand the whole craft beer "thing"


To be fair, he did clarify himself by stating he doesn't understand why people pay "obscene" amounts of money for beer that [he believes] is no better than Coors.
 
2014-07-27 07:59:50 PM  

Tourney3p0: Blue Moon has been around since the 90s at least.  Maybe I just missed it, but it seems to be fairly recently that they started claiming it was a craft beer.  It's like they chose their worst seller, started calling it a craft beer, and kept pushing and pushing it even though it never caught on.


They did a big product placement push a year or two ago, where suddenly everyone was drinking Blue Moon on a bunch of TV shows.
 
2014-07-27 08:05:56 PM  
Blue moon is fine. Shock top too. They don't make me swoon, but they're not shiat beers
 
2014-07-27 08:07:36 PM  
What a great wheat beer might look like:

leapbeer.files.wordpress.com

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions
 
2014-07-27 08:12:42 PM  
I lie to try local brews, but sometimes I juts want a beer and the place's selection is a list of the usual suspects and maybe Blue Moon or Stella or Amber Bock. In those cases, I sometimes go for the house Merlot, sometimes the mass-produced "craft" beer.
 
2014-07-27 08:25:26 PM  

Spadababababababa Spadina Bus: What a great wheat beer might look like:

[leapbeer.files.wordpress.com image 538x402]

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions


Hoegaarden.
 
433 [TotalFark]
2014-07-27 08:30:12 PM  
Blue Moon is a perfectly cromulent beer.  Tastes great with a section of mandarin orange dropped in.
 
2014-07-27 09:01:36 PM  

cameroncrazy1984: Spadababababababa Spadina Bus: What a great wheat beer might look like:

[leapbeer.files.wordpress.com image 538x402]

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions

Hoegaarden.


Great Lakes Holy Moses, discussion over.

If you drink Blue Moon and aren't a chick in her 20s trying to be a cheap date then there maybe something wrong with you.
 
2014-07-27 09:43:17 PM  

Cymbal: cameroncrazy1984: Spadababababababa Spadina Bus: What a great wheat beer might look like:

[leapbeer.files.wordpress.com image 538x402]

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions

Hoegaarden.

Great Lakes Holy Moses, discussion over.

If you drink Blue Moon and aren't a chick in her 20s trying to be a cheap date then there maybe something wrong with you.


It's perfectly good for Radler.
 
2014-07-27 09:55:52 PM  
Perhaps it because the seasonals taste horrible. The pumpkin is passable. But the Valencia is horrible. Their impressionist collection tasted like beers created by a committee.
 
2014-07-27 10:03:48 PM  
"I" "enjoy" "Blue Moon" "because" "it's" "inexpensive" "and" "doesn't" "taste" "like" "piss".
 
2014-07-27 10:05:32 PM  
Blue Moon has always tasted like poo to me but I have friends who love it so maybe it is me who is wrong.
 
2014-07-27 10:06:25 PM  

Tourney3p0: Blue Moon has been around since the 90s at least.

i.imgur.com


Yeah, I drank it in the 90's. Still enjoy it occasionally with a slice of orange or tangelo. The only seasonal from them I can stand is the Agave Nectar.
 
2014-07-27 10:08:13 PM  

The Googles Do Nothing: Blue Moon has always tasted like poo to me but I have friends who love it so maybe it is me who is wrong.


It could be that different people like different beers, and that this may all be a matter of taste.
 
2014-07-27 10:09:04 PM  

Spadababababababa Spadina Bus: What a great wheat beer might look like:

[leapbeer.files.wordpress.com image 538x402]

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions


Unibroue is great stuff. I like Maudite and La Fin du Monde a lot.
 
2014-07-27 10:27:09 PM  

DubyaHater: "I" "enjoy" "Blue Moon" "because" "it's" "inexpensive" "and" "doesn't" "taste" "like" "piss".


Can we quote you on that?
 
2014-07-27 10:59:37 PM  

Spadababababababa Spadina Bus: What a great wheat beer might look like:

[leapbeer.files.wordpress.com image 538x402]

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions


Definitely one of the greatest wits out there. Ommegang Witte is extremely similar but I find not as dry as Unibroue Blanche; I think this helps minimize the amount of citrus needed to express the flavors of Belgian yeasts and therefore keeps wheat at the forefront. However, this is the opinion of someone who finds wheat beer acceptable rather than a must have, whereas I know many people who drink almost exclusively wheat beers.

Dogfishhead Namaste is also enjoyable if looking for pronounced coriander without interest of adding citrus.

On the other side of the wheat coin, hefeweizens, are Weihenstephaner and Julius Echter. Have to give the nod to Weihenstephaner, though, because the sheer variety and availability on this style plus being rather inexpensive for so good. Only problem is, I can think about Julius Echter and talk about anything, but with Weihenstephaner if anyone mentions bubble gum or ham I become obscenely aware of the flavor.

cameroncrazy1984: Hoegaarden.


I hate Hoegaarden was purchased by InBev. The process and ingredients are all identical since before the purchase, meaning still a wonderful flavor, but I cannot bring myself to spend money when I would rather support a smaller brewery when I want wheat and plenty have brews of equal quality if not greater for a little more.

verbaltoxin: Unibroue is great stuff. I like Maudite and La Fin du Monde a lot.


While I am a heavy beer drinker, my favorite Unibroue is Ephemere, flatly. Ask me about other breweries and this tends to be the barleywines and imperial stouts and imperial pales and tripels or quadripels, but something about being a white ale on lees makes me greatly enjoy the apple must addition.
 
2014-07-28 12:25:08 AM  

Vangor:  Ommegang tl;dr


*punches Vangor in the balls*

Heineken???

Fark that shiat!

PABST BLUE RIBBON!
 
2014-07-28 01:04:39 AM  

Vangor: my favorite Unibroue is Ephemere


Apple, Cassis, Cherry, or Cranberry?
 
2014-07-28 01:12:18 AM  
m5.paperblog.com
 
2014-07-28 01:12:34 AM  

poot_rootbeer: Vangor: my favorite Unibroue is Ephemere

Apple, Cassis, Cherry, or Cranberry?


Apple, which is simply 'Ephemere' as far as I am aware whereas the others are Ephemere Cherry and such. Have not has Cassis, but currants are not my favorite flavor to dominate a brew, which I recall cherry and cranberry do in Ephemere.
 
2014-07-28 03:33:54 AM  
Too sweet for my taste. I honestly don't like Hoegaarden either for the same reason.
 
2014-07-28 06:05:40 AM  

cameroncrazy1984: Spadababababababa Spadina Bus: What a great wheat beer might look like:

[leapbeer.files.wordpress.com image 538x402]

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions

Hoegaarden.


I was disappointed by that beer, it didn't come with a garden of hoes.
 
2014-07-28 06:50:21 AM  
I remember being at a house party/going away party for someone back in 2000. The first barrel was Blue Moon, it ran out so everyone pitched in for another just before midnight.  It was another barrel of Blue Moon.

Couldn't stand the smell of that beer for quite a number of years after the next morning. My bike was stolen that night too.

/Sucky Story Bro
 
2014-07-28 06:50:55 AM  

Courtney Love's Genital Warts:


Haven't tried the others in your picture but Firehouse is overpriced. Not bad but there are beers just as good for less.
 
2014-07-28 07:28:09 AM  
Like Blue Moon.  The Winter Abbey Ale is also tasty.  Stop liking what I don't like.
 
2014-07-28 07:32:50 AM  
Coors tried to pull the same thing with Killians when they rolled it out back in the early 90's. They did their damnedest to position it as a completely stand-alone product..
 
2014-07-28 08:20:54 AM  

MugzyBrown: Blue moon is fine. Shock top too. They don't make me swoon, but they're not shiat beers


They're some of the best mass-market, big-producer beers out there in my opinion. Sure, I'll buy something local 90% of the time at the beer/wine/deli store (and Sam Adams the other 10%), but if I'm at a baseball game or a bowling alley or an airport bar, well, it's often the only palatable beer available.
 
2014-07-28 09:02:11 AM  

dukeblue219: MugzyBrown: Blue moon is fine. Shock top too. They don't make me swoon, but they're not shiat beers

They're some of the best mass-market, big-producer beers out there in my opinion. Sure, I'll buy something local 90% of the time at the beer/wine/deli store (and Sam Adams the other 10%), but if I'm at a baseball game or a bowling alley or an airport bar, well, it's often the only palatable beer available.


I'd personally rather have Widmer for a mass market wheat beer.  Shock Top is awful.

I just wish more bars offered regular old Michelob.
 
2014-07-28 09:06:25 AM  
Tried some of these Blue Moon "artisan" brews and they all tasted terrible. You know they suck when they're the last things in the vacation fridge full of beers.
 
2014-07-28 09:32:07 AM  
I like how Stan Adams has been advertising that they make over 60 varieties.

I keep thinking: Good for you! If you keep trying, eventually you might make one that is good!
 
2014-07-28 09:53:01 AM  

verbaltoxin: Spadababababababa Spadina Bus: What a great wheat beer might look like:

[leapbeer.files.wordpress.com image 538x402]

/I can haz beer snob thread?
//Open to suggestions

Unibroue is great stuff. I like Maudite and La Fin du Monde a lot.


Have you tried Fonsamnhbt or Jcd3nj43i, yet?
 
2014-07-28 09:56:11 AM  

dukeblue219: MugzyBrown: Blue moon is fine. Shock top too. They don't make me swoon, but they're not shiat beers

They're some of the best mass-market, big-producer beers out there in my opinion. Sure, I'll buy something local 90% of the time at the beer/wine/deli store (and Sam Adams the other 10%), but if I'm at a baseball game or a bowling alley or an airport bar, well, it's often the only palatable beer available.


This.

What enrages me most is at some baseball stadiums (Turner Field being one) Blue Moon is listed under the "imported" category of beers rather than with Bud/Coors/etc.

/Imported from where, COLORADO?
 
2014-07-28 11:01:15 AM  
The Southern Logic Company:
What enrages me most is at some baseball stadiums (Turner Field being one) Blue Moon is listed under the "imported" category of beers rather than with Bud/Coors/etc.

/Imported from where, COLORADO?


So the fiancee and I are making wedding arrangements, and two separate venues have annoyed me similarly. They list the beers provided in the basic open bar beer/wine/liquor package and then offer an upgrade with imported beer for maybe $5/hr/person more. At one place the imported beers were Sam Adams and Heineken. At the other, Sam Adams, Heineken, and Guinness.

Since when is Sammy an import??

//What's more annoying, really, is that they have a very extensive list of domestic beer but they're all terrible. Bud, Bud Light, Michelob, Michelob Ultra, Michelob Ultra Light, Coors, Coors Light, etc. Why bother with so many options?
 
2014-07-28 11:55:16 AM  
domestic/import bar menu label is meaningless, other than its use as a cost demarcation.

that being said, I like Blue Moon, but with no groceries.

I like weihenstefaner (sp) and hoegarden, and shock top, and leinie sunset wheat... yada yada yada.

/wheat
//whit
///witbier
///Belgian
 
2014-07-28 12:08:15 PM  
If you have to put fruit in your beer, you are doing it wrong.
 
2014-07-28 01:25:02 PM  
I cant stand those big companies. I'll just stick to my ShockTop and Third Shift Amber Lager, thanks.
 
2014-07-28 01:26:00 PM  
Brewers make candy beer to obfuscate that they can't make decent real beer.
 
2014-07-28 03:06:22 PM  
2.bp.blogspot.com
Had one of these on draft at the local the other night. Jeezy Creezy, that's some good stuff.
 
2014-07-28 03:49:54 PM  
The following beers suck:
Wheat, Belgian
 
2014-07-28 04:51:26 PM  
Been homebrewing for 12 years, a craft beer drinker for much longer. I must say Blue Moon isn't a horrible beer, I had it in my company's suite a while ago and was rather impressed. Would I ever buy it? No. But it is a good beer if you are in a pinch. I don't know about the other styles they do, I am assuming it is crap.
 
Displayed 50 of 51 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »
On Twitter





In Other Media


  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.

Report