Gulper Eel: The left and right went authoritarian.
quatchi: You didn't move left.The country lurched right and where you were standing is now left.
skyotter: the fact that these are seen as Right-vs-Left issues depresses me profoundly.they're Right-Wrong issues, as in "torture is wrong. full stop."
Jon Snow: If one side is demonstrably worse than the other, then it's silly to play the BSABSVR card
whidbey: Still waiting for evidence of "the left" going authoritarian.
Gulper Eel: I didn't move left or right. The left and right went authoritarian.It doesn't help that I live in New York where choosing between left and right is like choosing between Mos Eisley and Detroit.
Pubby: somedude210: MaudlinMutantMollusk: I wasn't a liberal until the Fark Independents™ convinced me I was oneI wasn't a liberal until the Fark Independents convinced me to take a look at their policy suggestions :DI was a Fark Independent ™ until I actually looked objectively at the policy suggestions I was parroting and realized I was being an arsehat./staunchly liberal now//staunchly
whidbey: It's just so stupid. It took about 5-10 minutes to grasp the concept of collectivism, and why an altruistic mindset is the best. I can understand why someone entrenched in the 1% might reject either concept, but what about the rest of the 99%? I really don't get why people fight against their own interests.
whidbey: No, "the left" did not go "authoritarian." "The left" have little if any power in this country.
quatchi: That all noted, what specific reasons would a former WSJ reporter and writer of books about the military have for identifying with the left?*clicks link*The Iraq war fiasco? The torture scandal? The use of lawless mercenaries? Intelligence officials run amok? Growing income equality?Yeah, those are some pretty good reasons.
FarkedOver: Let's not sit here and pretend the democratic party is a leftist party. More left than republicans, sure, but by no means a leftist party.
Nadie_AZ: My grandparents were upset that Social Security and Medicare were now being considered 'entitlements'. They would defend the programs all while denouncing Obama and the liberal media and the evil liberals in Congress. With a straight face.
Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.
When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.
Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.
You need to create an account to submit links or post comments.
Click here to submit a link.
Also on Fark
Submit a Link »
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 Fark, Inc | Last updated: Apr 24 2017 06:04:56
Runtime: 0.212 sec (212 ms)