If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Ars Technica)   Mormon Church says that Mormon dating site can't use the word 'Mormon' to market their Mormon dating site to Mormons because the Mormon Church holds the IP rights on the word 'Mormon.' Mormon   (arstechnica.com) divider line 101
    More: Interesting, Mormons, intellectual property, amicus brief, Southern District of Texas, Corynne McSherry, Electronic Frontier Foundation  
•       •       •

2184 clicks; posted to Main » on 03 Jun 2014 at 8:56 AM (12 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



101 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all
 
2014-06-03 07:54:40 AM
dateamormon.com

"A" Mormon? I'm never going to fill all of my sister-wife slots that way.
 
2014-06-03 08:03:23 AM
"DateAMoron.com" is more like it.  Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it.
 
2014-06-03 08:18:06 AM
Mormon Porn (Probably SFW unless your boss is a, you know LDS)
 
2014-06-03 08:26:50 AM
What does God need with intellectual property rights?
 
2014-06-03 08:32:06 AM

kronicfeld: What does God need with intellectual property rights?


Well, he missed patenting humanity and now you've got every pair of yahoos breeding. And just think about the tarnishment to his trademark, based on the low quality of product others are putting out.
 
2014-06-03 08:47:16 AM

Marcus Aurelius: "DateAMoron.com" is more like it.  Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it.


I suspect there are a lot of the latter, some call themselves "social Mormons".  The ones I've known have been really good people, strange beliefs aside.  It's nowhere near as culty as Scientology or JW's.

Mark Twain's conclusion:   The Mormon Bible is rather stupid and tiresome to read, but there is nothing vicious in its teachings. Its code of morals is unobjectionable-it is "smouched" from the New Testament and no credit given.
 
2014-06-03 08:51:52 AM

Because People in power are Stupid: Mormon Porn (Probably SFW unless your boss is a, you know LDS)


i1.kym-cdn.com
 
2014-06-03 08:54:19 AM
Jeff Foxworth presents: "You know you're a cult when..."
 
2014-06-03 08:59:29 AM
Mormon Dating

That's right up there with
Jumbo Shrimp, Military intelligence, Summer Bible vacation camp.
 
2014-06-03 09:00:15 AM

Marcus Aurelius: Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it


My first ex wife was Mormon.
She swallowed and never faked it.
 
2014-06-03 09:02:12 AM

Because People in power are Stupid: Mormon Porn (Probably SFW unless your boss is a, you know LDS)


Had to laugh at those. Also, I keep reading Mormon as Moron for some reason (sorry Mormons).
 
2014-06-03 09:02:25 AM
Date a Mormon? No no, it's Date Amor, Mon. It's meant for Jamaican Hispanics, but we can't help it if we mostly get Mormons signing up. Either way, no violation of your rights going on here.
 
2014-06-03 09:02:47 AM

nekom: Marcus Aurelius: "DateAMoron.com" is more like it.  Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it.

I suspect there are a lot of the latter, some call themselves "social Mormons".  The ones I've known have been really good people, strange beliefs aside.  It's nowhere near as culty as Scientology or JW's.

Mark Twain's conclusion:   The Mormon Bible is rather stupid and tiresome to read, but there is nothing vicious in its teachings. Its code of morals is unobjectionable-it is "smouched" from the New Testament and no credit given.


I worked with a metric crapton of Mormons in Salt Lake City at one point in my life.  About 90% are drones, but the other 10% - you need to count your fingers after you shake hands with them.  Altogether a very strange culture.
 
2014-06-03 09:02:57 AM
Get a brain, Mormans.
 
2014-06-03 09:03:44 AM
Here I thought this was a thread about Harry Reid jacking off.
 
2014-06-03 09:06:39 AM
So if it's copywriten then how did the musical get away with it? Fair use?
 
2014-06-03 09:07:03 AM
Drop the 2nd...

Marcus Aurelius: "DateAMoron.com" is more like it.  Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it.


...dammit.
 
2014-06-03 09:08:39 AM
I dated a girl from Salt Lake City a few years ago, she got offended if I called her a Momon, LDS was her proper term for it she said.
 
2014-06-03 09:09:00 AM

kdawg7736: Because People in power are Stupid: Mormon Porn (Probably SFW unless your boss is a, you know LDS)

Had to laugh at those. Also, I keep reading Mormon as Moron for some reason (sorry Mormons).


Came here to say the same thing. Glad I am not alone.
 
2014-06-03 09:09:11 AM
Marcus Aurelius:
I worked with a metric crapton of Mormons in Salt Lake City at one point in my life.  About 90% are drones, but the other 10% - you need to count your fingers after you shake hands with them.  Altogether a very strange culture.

I would imagine Salt Lake City is a completely different animal.  The ones I've met here in PA were just decent folks who I guess went to Mormon temple on Sundays and whatever else constitutes being a Mormon.  All religions are bizarre and the Mormons don't seem especially destructive among them, just maybe a bit more bizarre than most.  Plus their focus on genealogy is helpful, I have a Mormon great uncle and they had a ton of stuff on that side.
 
2014-06-03 09:10:04 AM
I guess God changed his mind about the Book of Mormon (Trey Parker version).
 
2014-06-03 09:10:25 AM

nekom: Marcus Aurelius: "DateAMoron.com" is more like it.  Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it.

I suspect there are a lot of the latter, some call themselves "social Mormons".  The ones I've known have been really good people, strange beliefs aside.  It's nowhere near as culty as Scientology or JW's.


Agreed. I've known quite a few Mormons, and they have all been decent people. Many years back, I even had a Mormon family take in for a couple weeks while I was in between places to live. Oh those fun college years. Anyway, they did not try to preach or even speak of Mormonism to me.
So Mormons get a huge pass from me, when speaking about religious people.
 
2014-06-03 09:11:14 AM
Mormons gonna date.

media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com
 
2014-06-03 09:11:54 AM

kronicfeld: What does God need with intellectual property rights?


What does ge need a starship for?
 
2014-06-03 09:13:54 AM
I didn't know anything that was related to Mormonism could be considered intellectual.
 
2014-06-03 09:14:42 AM

Marcus Aurelius: I worked with a metric crapton of Mormons in Salt Lake City at one point in my life. About 90% are drones, but the other 10% - you need to count your fingers after you shake hands with them.


www.motherjones.com
 
2014-06-03 09:20:46 AM
Mormons dating?  I thought their marriages were all arranged in order to selectively breed the quizat haderach or something?
 
2014-06-03 09:21:00 AM
The legal flap concerns Jonathan Eller, the man behind the startup website, and Intellectual Reserve Inc., (IRI), which is the holding company for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Eller has filed to trademark his site's name, while the holding company has moved to block it before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

I think I see the problem.

www.lds-mormon.com
 
2014-06-03 09:21:34 AM

Calamityfox: I dated a girl from Salt Lake City a few years ago, she got offended if I called her a Momon, LDS was her proper term for it she said.


That's what I thought, too. Supposedly the church is trying to distance itself from the term. Although, the YouTube propaganda campaign they've been conducting recently prominently uses the phrase "...and I'm a Mormon."
 
2014-06-03 09:22:59 AM

Calamityfox: I dated a girl from Salt Lake City a few years ago, she got offended if I called her a Momon, LDS was her proper term for it she said.


That's strange.

Growing up, we were Mormons and Latter Day Saints. We were not Christian. This all changed in the late 80s/early 90s. But I never heard anyone say they weren't Mormon before.
 
2014-06-03 09:27:30 AM
Jesus was big on IP. Salvation was IP. And only certain people should get it. Because if the wrong ones got it, they'd repent and be saved.

And he said unto them, Unto you is given the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all things are done in parables: that seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest haply they should turn again, and it should be forgiven them.

Christianity is a lot stranger than modern Christians seem to understand.
 
2014-06-03 09:30:59 AM
Joseph Smith convinced millions that he could read hieroglyphics by putting a magic stone in his top hat.

I can't convince drunk girls that I'm a Marine SEAL Special Forces Ninja sniper.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
 
2014-06-03 09:31:04 AM
omnipotentpoobah.com
 
2014-06-03 09:32:28 AM

Marcus Aurelius: I worked with a metric crapton of Mormons in Salt Lake City at one point in my life.  About 90% are drones, but the other 10% - you need to count your fingers after you shake hands with them.  Altogether a very strange culture.


Interesting.  As far as I know (most people you meet don't bring up religion) I've only known 3 Mormons and all 3 were very nice and polite and friendly people.  I drank beer with one of them a few times and one time I asked him why he was drinking beer with me if he is a Mormon.  I don't remember what he said, but he tried to educate me about a few of the things that were myths about his religion.  I'm still pretty sure he wasn't supposed to be drinking though.

A different Mormon that I worked with was the most straight-laced family man you could ever imagine.  He would make Gallant look like Goofus in Goofus and Gallant.  He explained to me that caffeine wasn't strictly forbidden.  He didn't drink coffee himself, but it was an interesting conversation.

They're not all Mitt Romney - maybe like you said only 10% of them.
 
2014-06-03 09:32:49 AM
Call it "find your wives" and voila
 
2014-06-03 09:33:10 AM

Because People in power are Stupid: Mormon Porn (Probably SFW unless your boss is a, you know LDS)

terrific link--think you could do something with them wearing the magis underwear?  probably not enough skin showing.

 
2014-06-03 09:38:51 AM

nekom: I suspect there are a lot of the latter, some call themselves "social Mormons".  The ones I've known have been really good people, strange beliefs aside.  It's nowhere near as culty as Scientology or JW's.


But they seem to be taking a page from the Scientology playbook by turning their religion into an legal intellectual property issue.
 
2014-06-03 09:41:14 AM
media.tumblr.com


img4.wikia.nocookie.net


MORMONS!

 
2014-06-03 09:42:08 AM

Lolpwnt: Mormons dating?  I thought their marriages were all arranged in order to selectively breed the quizat haderach or something?


I thought that was just the Scientologists.

I'm confused.
 
2014-06-03 09:42:23 AM

Marcus Aurelius: "DateAMoron.com" is more like it.  Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it.

I've heard differently. Unlike Southern Baptists, they dance like freaks and that's just the beginning. Something about letting loose from a restrictive environment. Of course, I've heard the same stuff about Villanova, though much milder.
 
2014-06-03 09:42:26 AM

Marcus Aurelius: nekom: Marcus Aurelius: "DateAMoron.com" is more like it.  Anyone that swallows the Book of Mormon is either not very bright or is faking it.

I suspect there are a lot of the latter, some call themselves "social Mormons".  The ones I've known have been really good people, strange beliefs aside.  It's nowhere near as culty as Scientology or JW's.

Mark Twain's conclusion:   The Mormon Bible is rather stupid and tiresome to read, but there is nothing vicious in its teachings. Its code of morals is unobjectionable-it is "smouched" from the New Testament and no credit given.

I worked with a metric crapton of Mormons in Salt Lake City at one point in my life.  About 90% are drones, but the other 10% - you need to count your fingers after you shake hands with them.  Altogether a very strange culture.


IMHO, there's a huge difference between Utah Mormons and "Other" Mormons.

The Utah Mormons have drank the kool-aid and are a culty. Utah is their mecca and their ancestors where the hardcore ones.
 
2014-06-03 09:46:46 AM
So is "The Book of Mormon" stage show paying a royalty for the use of that word?
 
2014-06-03 09:53:24 AM
I am a MAN seeking aNOTHER WOMAN.
 
2014-06-03 09:56:53 AM
Living a few miles from Mormon county-light [Mesa, AZ], I'm sure there's quite a few people checking out the site and don't care about the b.s. happening behind it...
 
2014-06-03 09:57:41 AM
Now that's really mormonic.
 
2014-06-03 09:58:22 AM
i.imgur.com
 
2014-06-03 10:01:54 AM
And now I want to start a gay dating site called MoreMen.com.
 
2014-06-03 10:02:59 AM
How can you own a noun?  Or adjective depending on your take.
 
2014-06-03 10:05:19 AM

nekom: Marcus Aurelius:
I worked with a metric crapton of Mormons in Salt Lake City at one point in my life.  About 90% are drones, but the other 10% - you need to count your fingers after you shake hands with them.  Altogether a very strange culture.

I would imagine Salt Lake City is a completely different animal.  The ones I've met here in PA were just decent folks who I guess went to Mormon temple on Sundays and whatever else constitutes being a Mormon.  All religions are bizarre and the Mormons don't seem especially destructive among them, just maybe a bit more bizarre than most.  Plus their focus on genealogy is helpful, I have a Mormon great uncle and they had a ton of stuff on that side.


They undergo a phase change at a certain density and pressure.
 
2014-06-03 10:09:11 AM

Evil Mackerel: Lolpwnt: Mormons dating?  I thought their marriages were all arranged in order to selectively breed the quizat haderach or something?

I thought that was just the Scientologists.

I'm confused.


I think it's a selective breeding race to control the universe.
 
Displayed 50 of 101 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report