Do you have adblock enabled?
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Extreme Tech)   University professor claims to have partially decoded the Voynich manuscript, because who the hell would know if he didn't?   (extremetech.com) divider line 64
    More: Interesting  
•       •       •

9178 clicks; posted to Main » on 20 Feb 2014 at 6:10 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



64 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all
 
2014-02-20 04:52:26 PM  
Now if someone can crack the Codex Seraphinanus.
 
2014-02-20 04:56:57 PM  

a particular individual: Now if someone can crack the Codex Seraphinanus.


Yes, Luigi Serafini was on crack at the time.
 
2014-02-20 04:59:27 PM  

a particular individual: Now if someone can crack the Codex Seraphinanus.


i so want a copy of that.
 
2014-02-20 06:12:16 PM  

FlashHarry: a particular individual: Now if someone can crack the Codex Seraphinanus.

i so want a copy of that.


I want both of these. They're batshiat.
 
2014-02-20 06:13:35 PM  
Turns out, it was an epileptic's cookbook.
 
2014-02-20 06:13:57 PM  

FlashHarry: a particular individual: Now if someone can crack the Codex Seraphinanus.

i so want a copy of that.


I picked up a copy in the fall when they reprinted it.

Crazy and awesome.
 
2014-02-20 06:14:16 PM  
D&D sourcebook.
 
2014-02-20 06:14:59 PM  
DRINK YOUR OVALTINE
 
2014-02-20 06:16:20 PM  
Alexandretta?
 
2014-02-20 06:16:28 PM  

Ambitwistor: D&D sourcebook.


Written in Elvish and encoded with an Enigma?
 
2014-02-20 06:17:30 PM  
Pretty sure he was just too high to draw weed with the right number of leaves in picture 3.
 
2014-02-20 06:18:38 PM  
Now, a University of Bedfordshire applied linguistics professor claims he has cracked the code.

Stuff like this is easy, subby. If University is in Russia or India then 90% chance it's complete bullshiat, 10% change it's highly embellished distorted and misrepresented halftruths.

If university is in England then it's true, because English is gods own country. God is an Englishwoman after all. Englishfolk don't lie. You know i'm telling the truth, because I'm English.
 
2014-02-20 06:18:56 PM  
esotericus.files.wordpress.com
 
2014-02-20 06:20:48 PM  
I've taken a crack at this, I don't know a crypto-nerd that hasn't. The Voynich manuscript is a fraud, an incredibly elaborate one that has taken on such a regard that we keep devoting attention to it. If this guy's work is validated I'll eat my words but I think it is just a case of a professor trying to gain notoriety for one or another reason.
 
2014-02-20 06:22:45 PM  
Here's a little known picture of Voynich

cs407927.vk.me
 
2014-02-20 06:23:07 PM  
ookmarkbay?

/crack that, code phreaks!
 
2014-02-20 06:23:36 PM  

Chinchillazilla: FlashHarry: a particular individual: Now if someone can crack the Codex Seraphinanus.

i so want a copy of that.

I want both of these. They're batshiat.


So many things....... so little time......

/would apply even if I could live 1,000 years
 
2014-02-20 06:23:36 PM  
 people have "decoded", or more accurately translated, parts of it for years now. problem is, the crypto community is so heavily vested in it being a cipher and not simply an alternate language that they reject out of hand all work toward that hypothesis without examination, no matter how much evidence piles up for a linguistic solution.
 its a stubborn pride thing at this point, the rest of the world figured out the new world linguistic connection a long, long time ago. i even had a roommate translate small sections of it in college, it was pretty straightforward stuff as i recall.
 
2014-02-20 06:24:37 PM  
It will be the Rosetta stone for Rongorongo
 
2014-02-20 06:25:31 PM  

Slaxl: Now, a University of Bedfordshire applied linguistics professor claims he has cracked the code.

Stuff like this is easy, subby. If University is in Russia or India then 90% chance it's complete bullshiat, 10% change it's highly embellished distorted and misrepresented halftruths.

If university is in England then it's true, because English is gods own country. God is an Englishwoman after all. Englishfolk don't lie. You know i'm telling the truth, because I'm English.


They don't teach much English though, do they...the grammar part?
 
2014-02-20 06:27:22 PM  
The Voynich Manuscript is the Oak Island of cryptography.
 
2014-02-20 06:32:39 PM  
BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE
 
2014-02-20 06:33:06 PM  

JohnnyApocalypse: It will be the Rosetta stone for Rongorongo


Shakes tiny fist, as I'd intended a Rongorongo reference myself.

/Two Rongorongos don't make a rightorighto!
 
2014-02-20 06:34:39 PM  
I think the best part of the article is that is contains a link (near the end) that will take you to a download page for the entire Voynich Manuscript in high-resolution.  I've never had that, before.  :)
 
2014-02-20 06:35:02 PM  
Lemme guess...by "partially decoded" he means he has decent guesses for two words, and no proof that either of them are correct.
 
2014-02-20 06:36:09 PM  

telejester: Slaxl: Now, a University of Bedfordshire applied linguistics professor claims he has cracked the code.

Stuff like this is easy, subby. If University is in Russia or India then 90% chance it's complete bullshiat, 10% change it's highly embellished distorted and misrepresented halftruths.

If university is in England then it's true, because English is gods own country. God is an Englishwoman after all. Englishfolk don't lie. You know i'm telling the truth, because I'm English.

They don't teach much English though, do they...the grammar part?


Oh look at you, "Mr. Sober" on Fark. Well done, see how that works out for you. It's late here, I've been drinking, and I've written another Voynich manuscript. Deal with it.
 
2014-02-20 06:46:48 PM  

HighZoolander: ookmarkbay?

/crack that, code phreaks!


Oh, yours is simple. It's a straightforward four-part substitution transliteration cypher, that uses your posting timestamp as a moving element. The trick is to not look at the side-by-side vowels as related, because the cipher moves based on the timestamp through each of the four substitution iterations, which results in 40 characters rather than just the 10 of the original post. Broken down (and placed into standard five-character columns) results in this:

HAHAI AMSMA RTERT HANYO UGOSU CKSQU IRREL BALLS
 
2014-02-20 06:48:20 PM  
What would be really cool is if they discovered that it is the only known surviving extant of an unknown language. Having no idea who spoke it or where, or when, even, but now being able to read it. For what it's worth, I think that's rather trippy.
 
2014-02-20 06:48:34 PM  
Chinchillazilla:
I want both of these. They're batshiat.

Print your own:

http://brbl-dl.library.yale.edu/vufind/Record/3519597

Export to PDF link at bottom of page
 
2014-02-20 06:50:53 PM  
fc09.deviantart.net
 
2014-02-20 06:51:38 PM  

groppet: BESURETODRINKYOUROVALTINE


Glad to see this was covered, surprised it took this long.
 
2014-02-20 07:01:38 PM  

Slaxl: telejester: Slaxl: Now, a University of Bedfordshire applied linguistics professor claims he has cracked the code.

Stuff like this is easy, subby. If University is in Russia or India then 90% chance it's complete bullshiat, 10% change it's highly embellished distorted and misrepresented halftruths.

If university is in England then it's true, because English is gods own country. God is an Englishwoman after all. Englishfolk don't lie. You know i'm telling the truth, because I'm English.

They don't teach much English though, do they...the grammar part?

Oh look at you, "Mr. Sober" on Fark. Well done, see how that works out for you. It's late here, I've been drinking, and I've written another Voynich manuscript. Deal with it.


Well played, sir
 
2014-02-20 07:02:52 PM  
"TO SERVE MAN"

It's a cookbook. Try the humanpheffer.
 
2014-02-20 07:10:09 PM  
Article says he may have had a breakthrough and is sharing his means, methods, discoveries and theories with the public in the hopes that others may capitalize on what he found.

This... seems interesting.
 
2014-02-20 07:15:42 PM  

SevenizGud: Lemme guess...by "partially decoded" he means he has decent guesses for two words, and no proof that either of them are correct.


He seems to have identified a bunch of proper nouns relating to some of the illustrations or something.
 
2014-02-20 07:50:20 PM  
www.schneierfacts.com

Suby, Bruce Schneier would know.
 
2014-02-20 07:59:02 PM  

SevenizGud: Lemme guess...by "partially decoded" he means he has decent guesses for two words, and no proof that either of them are correct.


You've read this before?
 
2014-02-20 08:01:51 PM  
This looks like a clever attempt to apply previous methods to decode such a text. What I've seen in the short film looks convincing.

Very cool.
 
2014-02-20 08:04:14 PM  

JonnyBGoode: What would be really cool is if they discovered that it is the only known surviving extant of an unknown language. Having no idea who spoke it or where, or when, even, but now being able to read it. For what it's worth, I think that's rather trippy.


I'm guessing the plague got them.

The black death really farked things up for European civilizations. I mean, countries would forget which parts of the world they had discovered and colonized, only to rediscover them 400 years later to find that their colonists had just recently died out (that Happened to Denmark with Greenland).

Sure, if the black death only kills 50% of the population, big deal you might think. But consider how it spread. It spread where people where concentrated, in cities. People who could read and write (and knew stuff like which parts of the world existed, and who owned it) where the ones who died, and the illiterate hicks who lived in isolated villages went on to repopulate Europe.

Few generations down, monks would be reading all the books, which where kept in monestaries, and re-learning the forgotten. It were litterally the dark ages for a while.

Having a common language root such as Germanic or Latin made this possible, even though standardized spelling wasn't a thing yet (that came with Guthenberg and the bible. If you wanted to know how to spell a word, you'd just check your Guthenberg bible, they were all the same).


My theory, whoever wrote this book came from somewhere around northern Italy. You know how they'd speak a farking different language in each valley. Well, this valley wasn't so lucky, and everyone who were litterate in that language died. End of that civilization.
 
2014-02-20 08:06:48 PM  
Wake me up when we crack this one, mkay?

upload.wikimedia.org
 
2014-02-20 08:11:40 PM  

NeuroticRocker: Wake me up when we crack this one, mkay?

[upload.wikimedia.org image 640x512]


Over 3/4 of the way there.
 
2014-02-20 08:13:14 PM  
It is written in Jive.
 
2014-02-20 08:14:15 PM  
It says,

"Hello mudda, hello fadda
Here I am at Camp Granada
Camp is very entertaining
And they say we'll have some fun
If it stops raining"..............
 
2014-02-20 08:26:09 PM  

jigger: NeuroticRocker: Wake me up when we crack this one, mkay?

[upload.wikimedia.org image 640x512]

Over 3/4 of the way there.


All we have of the last 4th is "BERLIN" but we don't know how it was encoded. SUPPOSEDLY Sanborn will release another clue this year. Part of me is excited, part is disappointed. I'd rather we solve it organically. Once it's solved, the enigma of it is gone.
 
2014-02-20 08:27:35 PM  
the voynich manuscript is obviously an Atlantian artifact that catologues the flora of Niburu
 
2014-02-20 08:29:52 PM  

Chinchillazilla: FlashHarry: a particular individual: Now if someone can crack the Codex Seraphinanus.

i so want a copy of that.

I want both of these. They're batshiat.


I have the Voynich in PDF.  Just search, I'm sure you'll find a copy.
 
2014-02-20 08:34:54 PM  

SmackLT: HighZoolander: ookmarkbay?

/crack that, code phreaks!

Oh, yours is simple. It's a straightforward four-part substitution transliteration cypher, that uses your posting timestamp as a moving element. The trick is to not look at the side-by-side vowels as related, because the cipher moves based on the timestamp through each of the four substitution iterations, which results in 40 characters rather than just the 10 of the original post. Broken down (and placed into standard five-character columns) results in this:

HAHAI AMSMA RTERT HANYO UGOSU CKSQU IRREL BALLS


Dammit - I was sure that would take at least a lifetime to crack.
 
2014-02-20 08:38:16 PM  
Phhht. He's got it all wrong.
 
2014-02-20 08:46:47 PM  
i.ebayimg.com

2.bp.blogspot.com
 
2014-02-20 08:55:18 PM  

SevenizGud: Lemme guess...by "partially decoded" he means he has decent guesses for two words, and no proof that either of them are correct.


Exactly this (well, he says 5 words or so rather than 2)

On his website there's a video which basically gives you an idea of what he's doing - evidently, any idiot can see he's just guessing; nothing more.

In fact, given his academic background, it's actually quite pathetic to see him justify what he's doing and how he does it.
It really is on par with Ancient Aliens Experts Logic.

As someone else has aptly mentioned, the Voynich Manuscript is a hoax, and enthralls people like the Oak Island Money Pit Mystery does. He's not the first to have 'decoded' the 'manuscript' and he wouldn't be the last.
 
Displayed 50 of 64 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »
Advertisement
On Twitter






In Other Media


  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.

Report