If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(PennLive)   They died doing what they loved: Each other. In an idling car. In an enclosed garage   (pennlive.com) divider line 15
    More: Obvious, carbon monoxide poisons, death, Williamsport  
•       •       •

13921 clicks; posted to Main » on 03 Feb 2014 at 2:21 AM (34 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



Voting Results (Smartest)
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

2014-02-03 12:04:25 AM
6 votes:
Talk about auto erotic asphyxiation!
2014-02-03 03:06:35 AM
2 votes:

cyberspacedout: The Jami Turman Fan Club: Not that I'm planning to try, but with a modern car and a working catalytic converter, it shouldn't create enough carbon monoxide to kill you, unless your garage is really small and really well sealed.

But there was also a kerosene heater, and those create carbon monoxide like nobody's business.

Unless, perhaps, the exhaust was leaking before it hit the converter.


It'll spit out a decent amount of carbon monoxide, but it's kind of working like air conditioning in a car set to recirculate.  It'll go in the intake, go out the exhaust, pretty soon the intake is getting air that has carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide in it and less oxygen, and the air/fuel ratio drops and causes even more incomplete combustion that produces even more carbon monoxide.

Emissions are pretty good nowadays but it's still safer to go for a quickie in this scenario
2014-02-03 03:04:50 AM
2 votes:
They were both 40. Either they already have kids, or probably weren't going to. No Darwin award here.
2014-02-03 02:51:52 AM
2 votes:
I was about to vote Darwin, but if they also lit a kerosene heater I would lean toward suicide pact.
2014-02-03 02:32:54 AM
2 votes:
Not that I'm planning to try, but with a modern car and a working catalytic converter, it shouldn't create enough carbon monoxide to kill you, unless your garage is really small and really well sealed.

But there was also a kerosene heater, and those create carbon monoxide like nobody's business.
2014-02-03 10:16:18 AM
1 votes:

gretzkyscores: WTF???

If there was a garage, then there must have been a house. DNRTFA, so maybe I'm missing something simple and obvious here, but why not just have sex in the house instead of in a cramped car?


They may have been cheating on their spouses/significant others, or had some other reason to keep the the nature of their relationship secret.
2014-02-03 09:46:48 AM
1 votes:
Regular CO alarms will not go off unless the levels are above 70 ppm. I bought an Kidde Nighthawk digital led display alarm so I could read the display without having to be next to it. It only starts reading when the levels are above 30, they consider less than that normal everyday for healthy people.

When I got it, there were times it would flicker between 30-36, which is low level, but with a gas stove and space heater,I had to find out where it was coming from. Just in a corner near the ceiling there was a screen I had not paid any attention to until I decided to dust it off. It turned out this lead to an outside vent and when I cleaned it, my peak levels dropped to a safe 14. The pilot lights on the gas stove were giving off a little CO,but with nowhere to vent, it had built up to low levels in my place. It has stayed at 14 peak since.

Get one of these. They are not lab grade indicators,but can alert you to trouble spots early on. CO doesn't have a smell to it like smoke or natural gas.
2014-02-03 08:13:30 AM
1 votes:

Mad Mark: We had a similar incident happen in our town a few years back. I heard from a cop source that the guy was 100 pounds soaking wet & the girl was some huge 300+ pound beast. Bet that was quite a sight.


Our town also had a similar story. Man and woman were found several days after they died, still "connected". They were in such bad shape that the car had to be towed with them still in it and then they were pulled out of the car together. Local law enforcement still talks about the smell more than two decades later.
2014-02-03 05:44:35 AM
1 votes:

berylman: CO poisoning is odd and I almost succumbed to it myself without proper ventilation.  You don't see it coming literally.  We are all chronically poisoned with sub lethal doses.


Having had a close call with CO(my alarm worked!) I've since double downed and have a minimum of 2 CO detectors in my house.  Turned out to be a plugged furnace exhaust.

Other than that, I wouldn't say 'chronically poisoned' - my detectors have remained pegged at zero otherwise.  CO works in such a fashion that it shouldn't cause much harm until it displaces enough oxygen carrying capacity to cause damage.
2014-02-03 04:11:06 AM
1 votes:
CO poisoning is odd and I almost succumbed to it myself without proper ventilation.  You don't see it coming literally.  We are all chronically poisoned with sub lethal doses.
2014-02-03 03:47:06 AM
1 votes:

fanbladesaresharp: Yeah I'm leaning that way too. I've had some exes and friends into....hell....pick something, but leaving the motor running in the garage seems deliberate to me. And I sure as hell not going to off myself like that.


I'm leaning towards it was cold.
I had a flatmate from Brownsville. He used to leave the oven on cause our heat was insufficient. Once I was in bed with my lady friend on a Friday and the fire alarm went off, as they always did. I almost convinced her that "HEY, this time I'm not going out for yet another false alarm." But I went just to check. He wasn't in his room, but an inferno was. Firemen burst in fairly promptly and put it out. Hell of a response. Never figured out if it was the candles, cologne, or space heater (or all three) which cause the fire; they were all on his dresser...

/he was a toughhhhh guy
//but he was so wimpy about the cold...
2014-02-03 03:30:25 AM
1 votes:

aerojockey: I was about to vote Darwin, but if they also lit a kerosene heater I would lean toward suicide pact.


yeah, that's my thought, too
2014-02-03 03:22:08 AM
1 votes:

aerojockey: I was about to vote Darwin, but if they also lit a kerosene heater I would lean toward suicide pact.


Yeah I'm leaning that way too. I've had some exes and friends into....hell....pick something, but leaving the motor running in the garage seems deliberate to me. And I sure as hell not going to off myself like that.
2014-02-03 02:44:53 AM
1 votes:
Nominee???

static1.fjcdn.com
2014-02-03 02:36:42 AM
1 votes:
Unfortunately the age and model of the vehicle was not in the headline. I believe modern (gasoline) cars in good condition cannot kill someone with CO fumes. Unless the car was more than 30 years old, diesel, or in very poor condition (like a missing catalytic converter), it was probably the kerosene heater that killed them.
 
Displayed 15 of 15 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report