If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Web Pro News)   Nerf Rebelle: Is this new toy brilliant or sexist? Who cares, it's fun   (webpronews.com) divider line 179
    More: Silly, Nerf Rebelle, Katniss Everdeen, Linda Hamilton, katniss  
•       •       •

20746 clicks; posted to Main » on 08 Dec 2013 at 5:18 PM (37 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



179 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2013-12-08 04:26:03 PM
Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....) but this one's just too awesome. I don't care how it's marketed, anything that gets crossbows & Gatling guns into the hands of little girls is a great idea.
 
2013-12-08 05:23:19 PM
hellokittyar15.jpg
 
2013-12-08 05:23:35 PM
My 10 yr old daughter loves hers.
 
2013-12-08 05:25:45 PM

brigid_fitch: Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....) but this one's just too awesome. I don't care how it's marketed, anything that gets crossbows & Gatling guns into the hands of little girls is a great idea.


Agreed. Why not just make it green so everyone can enjoy it?
 
2013-12-08 05:26:31 PM
Why can't pink be for boys?
 
2013-12-08 05:27:27 PM
Blah blah girls should stick to traditional gender roles. You can trust me on this because I've bought a lot of Pony toys.
 
2013-12-08 05:30:43 PM
Brilliant? Creating a toy related to a hollywood blockbuster?
 
GBB
2013-12-08 05:31:11 PM
Does it shoot tampons?

/DRTFA
 
2013-12-08 05:34:11 PM
Fun? Ban it. Someone might be allergic to the plasticizer.
 
2013-12-08 05:34:26 PM
I was just happy to see Hunger Games Barbie in the shops.
Nice to know she has a Homicidal Killer in a Dystopican Future side to her.
 
2013-12-08 05:34:39 PM
Nerf sells shiat.
Little girls get their parents to buy them pink shiat.
If nerf doesn't make their shiat pink, little girls won't get their parents to buy it.

This isn't called sexist, it's called making money.  Sexist should be applied to the poor excuses for parents who raise their little girls to think that pink is a girl's color.
 
2013-12-08 05:36:36 PM
They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.
 
2013-12-08 05:36:46 PM

DrewCurtisJr: Brilliant? Creating a toy related to a hollywood blockbuster?


I'm sure they are thinking of the rising popularity of bows because of Katniss in the Hunger Games.

A friend of mine owns an archery range and she's seen an increase of tweens and teens learning the sport since the movie.
 
2013-12-08 05:36:54 PM
> don't market products to girls
> people complain about leaving girls out

> market products to girls
> people complain about sexism

Solution: ignore the whiners. You'll never be happy trying to appease them.
 
2013-12-08 05:37:06 PM
Just don't make pretend archery motions in school...
 
2013-12-08 05:38:43 PM
I wonder what it's like to be perpetually offended by... well, EVERYTHING. How empty and bereft of joy must your existence be if you have to pass everything though your agenda filters to see if it's "acceptable" or if it's something that throws you into yet another histrionic fit of outrage.
 
2013-12-08 05:39:33 PM
I'm going to reserve judgment on this until Jezebel has a chance to weigh in.
 
2013-12-08 05:39:40 PM
Oh, man. I was thinking there was some tension on those strings which propelled objects like a traditional crossbow, and mayhem could ensue. But turns out all that is for show and things a fired by an inner spring. Disappointing.
 
2013-12-08 05:40:11 PM
The Hunger Games and one Katniss Everdeen. The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be. Because in her world, there was no room for being delicate. Strength, determination and the ability to hunt for food meant survival.

Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.

media.screened.com
This fictional character is a bit better.
 
2013-12-08 05:40:44 PM
Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.
 
2013-12-08 05:41:27 PM

that was my nickname in highschool: I'm going to reserve judgment on this until Jezebel has a chance to weigh in.


Heh heh "Jezebel"... "weigh in". That's funny. And I'm guessing an average of about 210 pounds.
 
2013-12-08 05:43:44 PM

Relatively Obscure: The Hunger Games and one Katniss Everdeen. The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be. Because in her world, there was no room for being delicate. Strength, determination and the ability to hunt for food meant survival.

Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.


This fictional character is a bit better.


Too bad she's reduced to the stereotypical sobbing mess when confronting the cyberdyne guy
 
2013-12-08 05:44:31 PM
While the color coding is often annoying to see, little girls wear far more pink and softer colors than boys. This is due to socialization, of course, but cannot fault a company for wanting to appeal to girls with the color often associated with girls. As long as the roles of girls are not outlined as nurturers, secretaries, homemakers, etc., while boys are the workers, bread-winners, and heroes, I see little problem with the color. Rather, this may be the way to get girls who have been through this socialization to see themselves in new roles.

I remember there were sets of 'girl' Lego predominantly composed of pinks, which is how one saw this was marketed at girls. Whereas my Lego were castles, dragons, the frontier, exploration, etc., where the only girl face belonged to the princess bedecked in pink, the Lego marketed at girls was of houses, with pets, sitting around drinking coffee, or heading shopping. This was horrible, and I am glad my young cousin enjoys the Ninjago Lego sets because I was able to build with her this holiday season a gargantuan four headed dragon and temple, of which pink was not to be found.
 
2013-12-08 05:44:47 PM

baconbeard: that was my nickname in highschool: I'm going to reserve judgment on this until Jezebel has a chance to weigh in.

Heh heh "Jezebel"... "weigh in". That's funny. And I'm guessing an average of about 210 pounds.



I'm neutral on the issue.  Their opinion could tip the scales one way or the other.
 
2013-12-08 05:44:53 PM

brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"



Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.
 
2013-12-08 05:45:38 PM

OgreMagi: DrewCurtisJr: Brilliant? Creating a toy related to a hollywood blockbuster?

I'm sure they are thinking of the rising popularity of bows because of Katniss in the Hunger Games.

A friend of mine owns an archery range and she's seen an increase of tweens and teens learning the sport since the movie.


I shoot spot leagues and a lot of 3D and can confirm the onslaught of young girls partipating in archery. While it's good to see, they do crowd the lanes. Build more lanes! It will be interesting to see if they keep it up. Archery is an addictive sport they can participate in all their lives.
 
2013-12-08 05:46:06 PM
And then there's this one.  Looks great.  Minimal pink or purple.  Sure, it uses an aqua blue, but that's okay.

But... it's called the Nerf Rebelle Heartbreaker bow vine.

Just think on that for a moment.
 
2013-12-08 05:46:53 PM

BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.


Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?
 
2013-12-08 05:48:03 PM

Relatively Obscure: Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.


Thanks to Buffy, a strong female is now 90 pounds and 4 feet tall, and can send bad guys backflipping into the air and through walls with an uppercut.
 
2013-12-08 05:49:08 PM

spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.


So they can grow up to design pink and violet bridges and skyscrapers. Just farkin great.
 
2013-12-08 05:50:07 PM
Geesh subby.. why is your butt so sore from this?  They make a "boys" version too.

/totally want either one for the office!!
 
2013-12-08 05:50:32 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?


You mean like the U.S.?
 
2013-12-08 05:50:33 PM
Not as sexist as this:

www.sunshinecoasttoyshobbies.com.au
 
2013-12-08 05:50:46 PM
Do you know why they pick the colors they pick?  TEST GROUPS.

There aren't a bunch of executives standing around, saying, "Let's make it pink so girls like it!"

What they do is gather test groups of ACTUAL LITTLE GIRLS to see what they respond to.  They provide several versions of the toys.  The girls pick what they like best.

I don't prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla because some marketing team convinced me that chocolate tastes better.  It just does.

The data very clearly shows that little girls' interest in nerf toys has increased since pink/purple versions became available.

WHAT THE fark IS WRONG WITH THAT?  It's not like the color pink is hurting you.  It's not oppressive.
 
2013-12-08 05:50:52 PM

that was my nickname in highschool: I'm going to reserve judgment on this until Jezebel has a chance to weigh in.


I would take them pretty seriously. The website has tons of followers despite being so few in numbers.
 
2013-12-08 05:50:59 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?


Las Vegas is indeed in the US, yes.
 
2013-12-08 05:52:25 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?


shooting is fun.
 
2013-12-08 05:52:32 PM

fusillade762: Not as sexist as this:

[www.sunshinecoasttoyshobbies.com.au image 495x559]


fark you.

You know why that toy is available?  Because LITTLE GIRLS LIKE TO PLAY HOUSE.

Nobody told little girls they should want to play house just the same as nobody told little boys to pretend a stick is a sword.

Too many of you idiots have ACTUALLY been brainwashed into thinking our children have been brainwashed.  Children are fine.  It's the "adults" who go insane.
 
2013-12-08 05:52:37 PM

big-simon: And then there's this one.  Looks great.  Minimal pink or purple.  Sure, it uses an aqua blue, but that's okay.

But... it's called the Nerf Rebelle Heartbreaker bow vine.

Just think on that for a moment.


"Vine" is the color scheme.  There's also "Phoenix" and "Blaster".
 
2013-12-08 05:53:20 PM

BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.


4.bp.blogspot.com
Is this one of them?
 
2013-12-08 05:53:30 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?


Because target shooting is fun.  Or maybe they like to hunt.  Or because, they farking can.  Why is none of your business.
 
2013-12-08 05:53:44 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?


Are you kidding me? War-torn third-world republics rarely have QUALITY child firearms for purchase.
 
2013-12-08 05:53:48 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?


If he lives in the US, of course he does.

/thanks Bush
 
2013-12-08 05:53:48 PM
So on top of being a misogynist for being sexually aroused by women showing skin and curves, now I'm a sexist for thinking pink is a color that tends to appeal to females.
 
2013-12-08 05:54:26 PM

OgreMagi: Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?

Because target shooting is fun.  Or maybe they like to hunt.  Or because, they farking can.  Why is none of your business.


People who live in fear are funny.  (*fear of guns or other "scary" things like the color pink)
 
2013-12-08 05:54:29 PM

XanthPrime: Why can't pink be for boys?


Not that theres anything wrong with that.
 
2013-12-08 05:55:42 PM

minuslars: So on top of being a misogynist for being sexually aroused by women showing skin and curves, now I'm a sexist for thinking pink is a color that tends to appeal to females.


I blame the little girls for liking pink.  It's all their fault.  We should beat them until they renounce the color pink and start demanding blue toys!
 
2013-12-08 05:55:50 PM
It is really funny that in 2013 if you walk into a toy store there is a VERY obvious girls' section which is VERY much pink. And of course, the boys' section is full of blue. It's all very 1950s still in a toy store.
 
2013-12-08 05:56:25 PM

fusillade762: Not as sexist as this:

[www.sunshinecoasttoyshobbies.com.au image 495x559]


You'd think that, but most girls actually like playing house.

/ cue the toy cars tucked in baby crib
 
2013-12-08 05:56:36 PM

spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.


This.  Both of these.  My toys growing up were Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys, until my dad remarried and the stepmom took all the "boys' toys" away and forced me to play with Barbies.  Biatch.  I farking hated them, and so pretty-much stopped playing and started reading.  It wasn't until I got out of that house that I was able to go play again, with the boys in the neighborhood.  We had EPIC war games.
 
2013-12-08 05:57:27 PM

Vitamin Pb: Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?

You mean like the U.S.?


Oh shiat, sorry. My sympathies.
 
2013-12-08 05:57:47 PM

WorldCitizen: It is really funny that in 2013 if you walk into a toy store there is a VERY obvious girls' section which is VERY much pink. And of course, the boys' section is full of blue. It's all very 1950s still in a toy store.


Yeah.  Have you gone into the men's section at a CLOTHING store?  There isn't a single bra to be found.  They don't put tampons beside the men's razors either.  Can you believe they would actually GROUP things that are designed for a specific gender?  It's insane!
 
2013-12-08 05:58:06 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?


She really enjoys going shooting with me. It is something we bond over, and it teaches her responsibility. She knows how to properly handle firearms. It will also be good when she is out on her own, because a woman having a gun is, IMO, more important than a man having a gun, because it gives her an edge if someone bigger than her wants to victimize her.
 
2013-12-08 05:58:07 PM
Brilliant or Sexist?

static1.fjcdn.com
 
2013-12-08 05:58:09 PM

big-simon: bow vine


Took me a minute.  Ha!


super_grass: I would take them pretty seriously. The website has tons of followers despite being so few in numbers.


I always take crazy people seriously in numbers.  I'm no fool.

Numbers don't make 'em any less crazy; just more of a threat.
 
2013-12-08 05:58:44 PM

Benevolent Misanthrope: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

This.  Both of these.  My toys growing up were Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys, until my dad remarried and the stepmom took all the "boys' toys" away and forced me to play with Barbies.  Biatch.  I farking hated them, and so pretty-much stopped playing and started reading.  It wasn't until I got out of that house that I was able to go play again, with the boys in the neighborhood.  We had EPIC war games.


You are so awesome and not like all the other girls!
 
2013-12-08 06:00:10 PM

Oldiron_79: XanthPrime: Why can't pink be for boys?

Not that theres anything wrong with that.



My boys are welcome to get a little pink as soon as they're old enough to do it safely.
 
2013-12-08 06:00:51 PM
I just want to know why the Rebelle gun comes with safety glasses and a neat holster, while those are extra buys for the boy's guns even though they cost more?

Also, this:
www.catster.com
 
2013-12-08 06:01:06 PM

TOSViolation: WorldCitizen: It is really funny that in 2013 if you walk into a toy store there is a VERY obvious girls' section which is VERY much pink. And of course, the boys' section is full of blue. It's all very 1950s still in a toy store.

Yeah.  Have you gone into the men's section at a CLOTHING store?  There isn't a single bra to be found.  They don't put tampons beside the men's razors either.  Can you believe they would actually GROUP things that are designed for a specific gender?  It's insane!


So children's toys are designed for use on/in penises, vaginas, and boobs?  Who knew?
 
2013-12-08 06:01:49 PM
This article is full of fail.

They talk about polite and pink and how there is nothing pretty or pink about survival.  Um, who decides that pink is pretty, or that some other color is about "survival"?

And isn't it the author that is making assumptions here?  They make a crossbow that is pink and purple so it is THEM that assumes this is for girls??

The irony is, if this was for boys, the author would have slanted the article to talk about how we shouldn't be marketing "weapons" to little kids.
 
2013-12-08 06:02:31 PM

Gleeman: I just want to know why the Rebelle gun comes with safety glasses and a neat holster, while those are extra buys for the boy's guns even though they cost more?

Also, this:
[www.catster.com image 500x362]


Girls need to accessorize, DUH.
 
2013-12-08 06:02:41 PM

baconbeard: Benevolent Misanthrope: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

This.  Both of these.  My toys growing up were Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys, until my dad remarried and the stepmom took all the "boys' toys" away and forced me to play with Barbies.  Biatch.  I farking hated them, and so pretty-much stopped playing and started reading.  It wasn't until I got out of that house that I was able to go play again, with the boys in the neighborhood.  We had EPIC war games.

You are so awesome and not like all the other girls!


Mock me all you want, but girls should be encouraged to be active and creative in ways other than hairstyling and fashion.
 
2013-12-08 06:03:40 PM

Fear the Clam: brigid_fitch: Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....) but this one's just too awesome. I don't care how it's marketed, anything that gets crossbows & Gatling guns into the hands of little girls is a great idea.

Agreed. Why not just make it green so everyone can enjoy it?


It's not like Nerf (or any other toy company) just puts these on the market in particular colors without any consultation and says "OK, this is what you get."  -- They test market  these things. They gather groups of little girls and let them play with several versions, then they get them in a room and ask them which ones they liked better, what colors they'd prefer, what features they'd like, etc.

They compile all the data from tests and focus groups, and then release the product that was most popular. In other words, the thing is pink because hordes of little girls-- the target market-- indicated that they wanted it to be pink.

If the focus groups of little girls had all said "We want a gender neutral color like brown" then Nerf would have released it in brown... Clearly, though, girls wanted pink.
 
2013-12-08 06:05:30 PM
Benevolent Misanthrope:  Mock me all you want, but girls should be encouraged to be active and creative in ways other than hairstyling and fashion.

Thank you!!

/done in one
 
2013-12-08 06:06:49 PM

Benevolent Misanthrope: Mock me all you want, but girls should be encouraged to be active and creative in ways other than hairstyling and fashion.


So what you're saying is that they need to broaden their horizons to skirt the danger of tradition gender stereotypes?
 
2013-12-08 06:07:23 PM
1. If this is supposed to be for Hunger Games, why the ever-living fark is it pink? It doesn't have to be pink. Just put Hunger Games logo on it, and every little girl in the country will want it.
2. This article is shiat. Someone's blog/website sucks. Their reason is that if it sells as pink, Nerf will change it to another color. Um... no. They'll keep selling it as pink because it's selling. They'll only change the color if consumers make a stink about not buying it.
 
2013-12-08 06:07:32 PM

Benevolent Misanthrope: baconbeard: Benevolent Misanthrope: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

This.  Both of these.  My toys growing up were Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys, until my dad remarried and the stepmom took all the "boys' toys" away and forced me to play with Barbies.  Biatch.  I farking hated them, and so pretty-much stopped playing and started reading.  It wasn't until I got out of that house that I was able to go play again, with the boys in the neighborhood.  We had EPIC war games.

You are so awesome and not like all the other girls!

Mock me all you want, but girls should be encouraged to be active and creative in ways other than hairstyling and fashion.


I agree. In addition to going shooting as I mentioned earlier, my 13 year old daughter loves photography. I am very supportive of that, to the point that she has a decent Nikon DSLR, several lenses, and she is getting a speedlight for Christmas. We have also taken a basic photography class together. I endorse any hobby she has, and when she gets serious about them, I have no problem buying her expensive instruction and equipment for them. I am just happy she wants to do things that don't involve sitting in front of the computer or xbox all the time, especially stuff that can be useful to her as an adult.
 
2013-12-08 06:07:53 PM
Our eldest daughter, Charliza, would have loved this when she was three or four. She used to put vaguely gun-shaped sticks in her bugout bag when we'd go primitiving in the summers, and "play militia" with the other kids at training.

Of course now that she's 8, she only wants to shoot her XR (the only thing pink on it is the reticle in her optic sight), or her P22 plinker. She's going to lose her stuff this Christmas when she opens her gun safe (mom's idea, it'll be in her room but we'll keep the keys.)

This reminds me, I need to order some more mugger target sheets for the range next weekend...
 
2013-12-08 06:10:19 PM

DrewCurtisJr: Brilliant? Creating a toy related to a hollywood blockbuster?


Disney's Brave was Rebelle in French. That one?
 
2013-12-08 06:11:33 PM

brigid_fitch: Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....) but this one's just too awesome. I don't care how it's marketed, anything that gets crossbows & Gatling guns into the hands of little girls is a great idea.


How about girls playing survival games with Airsoft guns?
Crunchyroll - Watch Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3
 
2013-12-08 06:11:34 PM

BadReligion: Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?

She really enjoys going shooting with me. It is something we bond over, and it teaches her responsibility. She knows how to properly handle firearms. It will also be good when she is out on her own, because a woman having a gun is, IMO, more important than a man having a gun, because it gives her an edge if someone bigger than her wants to victimize her.


Nice narrative. You probably even believe it.
 
2013-12-08 06:12:39 PM

WorldCitizen: TOSViolation: WorldCitizen: It is really funny that in 2013 if you walk into a toy store there is a VERY obvious girls' section which is VERY much pink. And of course, the boys' section is full of blue. It's all very 1950s still in a toy store.

Yeah.  Have you gone into the men's section at a CLOTHING store?  There isn't a single bra to be found.  They don't put tampons beside the men's razors either.  Can you believe they would actually GROUP things that are designed for a specific gender?  It's insane!

So children's toys are designed for use on/in penises, vaginas, and boobs?  Who knew?


The female form is supposed to be attractive to males.  The male form is supposed to be attractive to females.  This is typically the case.  There are gay and bisexual people, but there will always be defects in nature, just as with cancer, sickle cell anemia, dwarfism, etc. (doesn't mean any of these groups should be persecuted, though)

The typical female child is interested in a certain type of toy and/or color scheme.  It doesn't have to be learned.  The thing is, not 100% of all little girls will be typical.

It's only after long years of societal brainwashing that people start to see a problem with the natural order of things.  People learn to hate.  That's all this is.  People learning to hate anything and everything that appears to be traditional whether or not there is any true traditional basis for it.
 
2013-12-08 06:13:14 PM

XanthPrime: Why can't pink be for boys?


Used to be that way a century or so ago - Pink for boys, blue for girls.

Pink used to be representative of violence and blood, since it is nearly red.

Blue? Not sure, but decidedly non-violent.
 
2013-12-08 06:14:51 PM
Perhaps these toys are symbolic of the weapons that young ladies will need to battle the horrid, oppressive, Hegemonic Patriarchy.
 
2013-12-08 06:16:00 PM
Great. Finally some toys that can get your little girl expelled from school.
 
2013-12-08 06:16:55 PM
My girlfriend's daughter saw the Nerf Rebelle and the new Zombie Strike line.....She picked the Zombie strike because "Zombies need killed.)
 
2013-12-08 06:22:02 PM
The rebelle bow also comes in blue (though the handle and barrel are still pink).

Also, am I the only one who painted my toys to look more realistic or what? A little sandpaper, paint, and time is all you need if you like the base design of the object.
 
2013-12-08 06:23:12 PM

OgreMagi: I'm sure they are thinking of the rising popularity of bows because of Katniss in the Hunger Games.

A friend of mine owns an archery range and she's seen an increase of tweens and teens learning the sport since the movie.


'Brave' may also have been a contributing factor. My little goddaughter has a compound bow now and has to be reminded that the Scottish accent isn't necessary to fire it. We did, however, let her shoot a flaming arrow to light the bonfire for a recent party, and kid nailed it. Right in the middle of center mass like Princess Merida and her Questionable Auntie taught her.

For Christmas, I am sewing her a dress like Merida's and husband is making her a very light chainmail shirt to wear over her jerkin and leggings for the Renaissance Faire. Aluminum chainmail is of a weight appropriate for seven-year-olds, I think.
 
2013-12-08 06:24:35 PM

Snarcoleptic_Hoosier: Benevolent Misanthrope: Mock me all you want, but girls should be encouraged to be active and creative in ways other than hairstyling and fashion.

So what you're saying is that they need to broaden their horizons to skirt the danger of tradition gender stereotypes?



-_-
 
2013-12-08 06:30:22 PM

super_grass: Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?

Are you kidding me? War-torn third-world republics rarely have QUALITY child firearms for purchase.


Yeah. Good luck finding a pink AK-47 in Somalia.
 
2013-12-08 06:33:04 PM

baconbeard: I wonder what it's like to be perpetually offended by... well, EVERYTHING. How empty and bereft of joy must your existence be if you have to pass everything though your agenda filters to see if it's "acceptable" or if it's something that throws you into yet another histrionic fit of outrage.


No no no, you got that wrong. It's not about being offended. It's about making sure other people know that you are offended. Doesn't really matter why or by what. As long as they know.
 
2013-12-08 06:37:01 PM

zimbach: brigid_fitch: Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....) but this one's just too awesome. I don't care how it's marketed, anything that gets crossbows & Gatling guns into the hands of little girls is a great idea.

How about girls playing survival games with Airsoft guns?
Crunchyroll - Watch Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3


I see your Airsoft, and raise you an FN P-90:

i.imgur.com
 
2013-12-08 06:38:27 PM
The problem with girls' toys is not that they're pink. The problem is that so many of them suck. Passive, pretty adowable shiat covered in shiny glitter.
 
2013-12-08 06:39:41 PM

Benevolent Misanthrope: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

This.  Both of these.  My toys growing up were Lincoln Logs and Tinkertoys, until my dad remarried and the stepmom took all the "boys' toys" away and forced me to play with Barbies.  Biatch.  I farking hated them, and so pretty-much stopped playing and started reading.  It wasn't until I got out of that house that I was able to go play again, with the boys in the neighborhood.  We had EPIC war games.


reading wasn't just a substitute for playthings you found appealing. reading is a magical escape from a world you are trapped in. public libraries are a godsend to children in miserable circumstance.
 
2013-12-08 06:40:58 PM
Jesus, not this shiat again.
 
2013-12-08 06:41:05 PM
 
2013-12-08 06:43:41 PM

brigid_fitch: Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....) but this one's just too awesome. I don't care how it's marketed, anything that gets crossbows & Gatling guns into the hands of little girls is a great idea.


Agreed and I'm so getting one of those.
 
2013-12-08 06:45:08 PM
i.imgur.com

Changed from pink to blue.

Can't imagine why.

/gaaaaaaaaaaay~
 
2013-12-08 06:45:44 PM
www.wrestleenigma.com
 
2013-12-08 06:46:58 PM
hwalther.home.xs4all.nl
 
2013-12-08 06:50:15 PM
leisureguy.files.wordpress.com
 
2013-12-08 06:52:02 PM

SpiderQueenDemon: OgreMagi: I'm sure they are thinking of the rising popularity of bows because of Katniss in the Hunger Games.

A friend of mine owns an archery range and she's seen an increase of tweens and teens learning the sport since the movie.

'Brave' may also have been a contributing factor. My little goddaughter has a compound bow now and has to be reminded that the Scottish accent isn't necessary to fire it. We did, however, let her shoot a flaming arrow to light the bonfire for a recent party, and kid nailed it. Right in the middle of center mass like Princess Merida and her Questionable Auntie taught her.

For Christmas, I am sewing her a dress like Merida's and husband is making her a very light chainmail shirt to wear over her jerkin and leggings for the Renaissance Faire. Aluminum chainmail is of a weight appropriate for seven-year-olds, I think.


That is awesome. Very cool.
 
2013-12-08 06:58:37 PM
TOSViolation
What they do is gather test groups of ACTUAL LITTLE GIRLS to see what they respond to. They provide several versions of the toys. The girls pick what they like best.

Well then I'm sure there's nothing to be concerned about.
 
2013-12-08 06:59:38 PM

Snarcoleptic_Hoosier: Benevolent Misanthrope: Mock me all you want, but girls should be encouraged to be active and creative in ways other than hairstyling and fashion.

So what you're saying is that they need to broaden their horizons to skirt the danger of tradition gender stereotypes?


I agree completely. It isn't sexist or misogynistic for girls to do what they enjoy. Every year for her birthday and Christmas, I get my niece building toys, educational stuff that is still fun, etc. I'm secretly trying to turn her into an engineer of some kind. There is too much "boy stuff"/"girl stuff". For God's sake, why can't we just let people be creative and enjoy themselves?

/Brony
 
2013-12-08 07:01:02 PM

Gleeman: zimbach: brigid_fitch: Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....) but this one's just too awesome. I don't care how it's marketed, anything that gets crossbows & Gatling guns into the hands of little girls is a great idea.

How about girls playing survival games with Airsoft guns?
Crunchyroll - Watch Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3

I see your Airsoft, and raise you an FN P-90:

[i.imgur.com image 644x691]


OK, Then how about tanks?

img1.ak.crunchyroll.com
 
2013-12-08 07:04:38 PM
Studies have shown that if you give a kid a choice between a "girl's toy" and a "boy's toy", most kids will have the most fun:

www.savvyhousekeeping.com

... playing with the box.
 
2013-12-08 07:06:48 PM

ERNesbitt: Snarcoleptic_Hoosier: Benevolent Misanthrope: Mock me all you want, but girls should be encouraged to be active and creative in ways other than hairstyling and fashion.

So what you're saying is that they need to broaden their horizons to skirt the danger of tradition gender stereotypes?

I agree completely. It isn't sexist or misogynistic for girls to do what they enjoy. Every year for her birthday and Christmas, I get my niece building toys, educational stuff that is still fun, etc. I'm secretly trying to turn her into an engineer of some kind. There is too much "boy stuff"/"girl stuff". For God's sake, why can't we just let people be creative and enjoy themselves?

/Brony


I grew up with two brothers so I always had "boy" toys around and a lot of the time I wanted stuff like theirs and got it. Yes I had my own Star Wars stuff and lego.
 
2013-12-08 07:12:04 PM

Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.


6 to 10 year old gays?
 
2013-12-08 07:14:42 PM

spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.


It's easy to market Legos to little girls without making it farking pink: Put girls in the commercials and on the packaging! I hated my Barbies and played with my brother's GI Joes, model railroad, and Hot Wheels because they were way cooler. It was other little girls and their parents who thought I was weird. They'd whisper to my mother, "Do you want her to grow up to be a tomboy?" And Mom would panic and buy me an EZ Bake oven, banning me from playing with my brother's rescue copter.

There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com
 
2013-12-08 07:15:03 PM
" There are over 2 billion Nerf products in worldwide circulation. That's one Nerf weapon for every man on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the women?"


cdn.ientry.com
 
2013-12-08 07:23:45 PM

Jimmysolson: Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.

6 to 10 year old gays?


Hey asshole it's not a choice, baby we were born this way.
 
2013-12-08 07:25:03 PM

Gleeman: I just want to know why the Rebelle gun comes with safety glasses and a neat holster, while those are extra buys for the boy's guns even though they cost more?

Also, this:
[www.catster.com image 500x362]


I would not be the least bit ashamed to be seen driving that around.
 
2013-12-08 07:26:54 PM
When you are starting to claim sexism based on the color of a toy, you should probably question what you are doing with your life.
 
2013-12-08 07:36:02 PM

brigid_fitch: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

It's easy to market Legos to little girls without making it farking pink: Put girls in the commercials and on the packaging! I hated my Barbies and played with my brother's GI Joes, model railroad, and Hot Wheels because they were way cooler. It was other little girls and their parents who thought I was weird. They'd whisper to my mother, "Do you want her to grow up to be a tomboy?" And Mom would panic and buy me an EZ Bake oven, banning me from playing with my brother's rescue copter.

There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com


Neat link, bookmarked for possible future gift needs and yea nothing like that in the 70's or 80's.
 
2013-12-08 07:42:44 PM

spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.


You're so sexist. Why can't girls play with Barbies AND engineer things? Why is the phalocentric manocracy of America so bent on controlling women?
 
2013-12-08 07:44:38 PM

duffblue: Jimmysolson: Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.

6 to 10 year old gays?

Hey asshole it's not a choice, baby we were born this way.


I doubt they are aware of being gay or not gay at that age.
Unless they've had some help making up their mind, if you know what I mean?
 
2013-12-08 07:46:03 PM
i586.photobucket.com
 
2013-12-08 07:52:38 PM
Just bought the Rebelle bow for my 7-year-old daughter. Don't really care about the color...just happy it isn't ×÷#_=& Barbie. She'll wind up painting it some other color anyways...

I think everything else is either a book or a MLP pony. Pony is a four letter word right now...
 
2013-12-08 07:55:14 PM

brigid_fitch: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

It's easy to market Legos to little girls without making it farking pink: Put girls in the commercials and on the packaging! I hated my Barbies and played with my brother's GI Joes, model railroad, and Hot Wheels because they were way cooler. It was other little girls and their parents who thought I was weird. They'd whisper to my mother, "Do you want her to grow up to be a tomboy?" And Mom would panic and buy me an EZ Bake oven, banning me from playing with my brother's rescue copter.

There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com


you just made them a sale for my niece. She's a crafter, but her grandma is buying her tons of art supplies for Christmas. Nice buidling project. This and and I'm thinking a Shel Silverstien book, since I got her "Where the Sidewalk Ends" last year and that went over like gangbusters.
 
2013-12-08 07:58:14 PM

Jimmysolson: duffblue: Jimmysolson: Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.

6 to 10 year old gays?

Hey asshole it's not a choice, baby we were born this way.

I doubt they are aware of being gay or not gay at that age.
Unless they've had some help making up their mind, if you know what I mean?


They can be quite aware of it.
 
2013-12-08 08:05:56 PM

Relatively Obscure: The Hunger Games and one Katniss Everdeen. The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be. Because in her world, there was no room for being delicate. Strength, determination and the ability to hunt for food meant survival.

Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.


This fictional character is a bit better.


I've actually read the books.

Katniss is in no way a strong anything. She's your typical, annoying, "conflicted" teenaged girl... That can hunt and is willing to sleep in trees.

Tough chick!
 
2013-12-08 08:12:52 PM

RogermcAllen: Nerf sells shiat.
Little girls get their parents to buy them pink shiat.
If nerf doesn't make their shiat pink, little girls won't get their parents to buy it.

This isn't called sexist, it's called making money.  Sexist should be applied to the poor excuses for parents who raise their little girls to think that pink is a girl's color.


Pink is good for little homo boys too.
 
2013-12-08 08:20:15 PM

Nutsac_Jim: RogermcAllen: Nerf sells shiat.
Little girls get their parents to buy them pink shiat.
If nerf doesn't make their shiat pink, little girls won't get their parents to buy it.

This isn't called sexist, it's called making money.  Sexist should be applied to the poor excuses for parents who raise their little girls to think that pink is a girl's color.

Pink is good for little homo boys too.


I'm thinking several states have told you to stay away from little boys.Interesting alt name as well.
giving you a 6/10 since I responded.
 
2013-12-08 08:22:42 PM

wellreadneck: Jimmysolson: duffblue: Jimmysolson: Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.

6 to 10 year old gays?

Hey asshole it's not a choice, baby we were born this way.

I doubt they are aware of being gay or not gay at that age.
Unless they've had some help making up their mind, if you know what I mean?

They can be quite aware of it.


Wow!
And how would anyone know that?
Is it because boys are playing with dolls, girls are playing with trucks?
What method of testing/studies would make you know this?
I have no children, I'm obviously not a rocket scientist when it comes to childhood gender studies.
I'd think that outside influence might have some relevance as to childhood behavior.

I think the Nerf toys would be fun for either gender.
 
2013-12-08 08:24:01 PM
Purple, pink, and black? Are those girl colors, or what everyone, male and female, was wearing back in the 80s?
 
2013-12-08 08:28:15 PM

Optimal_Illusion: Purple, pink, and black? Are those girl colors, or what everyone, male and female, was wearing back in the 80s?


I actually had a pair of pink pants way back in the early 60's.
Or they were until one day we decided to wade through the swamp in the bird refuge and I had them on.
 
2013-12-08 08:28:57 PM

The First Four Black Sabbath Albums: When you are starting to claim sexism based on the color of a toy, you should probably question what you are doing with your life.


The 'academic' left has room for thousands of professional victims.
 
2013-12-08 08:32:33 PM
My son would custom paint all his toys. Problem solved. But that's not something a girl would do.
 
2013-12-08 08:34:54 PM

XanthPrime: Why can't pink be for boys?


drumhellar: XanthPrime: Why can't pink be for boys?

Used to be that way a century or so ago - Pink for boys, blue for girls.

Pink used to be representative of violence and blood, since it is nearly red.

Blue? Not sure, but decidedly non-violent.


Blue has always been viewed as a "cool" color. "Serene", "peaceful", etc.

The idea of blue (instead of pink) for boys is decidedly modern; even as late as the early 20th c., boys wore pink. According to Smithsonian magazine, "Pink and [powder] blue arrived as colors for babies in the mid-19th century, yet the two colors were not promoted as gender signifiers until just before World War I." [Source].

Oh yeah, and little boys also wore dresses.
 
2013-12-08 08:35:58 PM

Nemo's Brother: The First Four Black Sabbath Albums: When you are starting to claim sexism based on the color of a toy, you should probably question what you are doing with your life.

The 'academic' left has room for thousands of professional victims.


Aw, how cute.
 
2013-12-08 08:39:02 PM

chasd00: Relatively Obscure: The Hunger Games and one Katniss Everdeen. The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be. Because in her world, there was no room for being delicate. Strength, determination and the ability to hunt for food meant survival.

Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.


This fictional character is a bit better.

Too bad she's reduced to the stereotypical sobbing mess when confronting the cyberdyne guy


Read the books and you might get more insight as to why she broke down like a little biatch.
 
2013-12-08 08:41:19 PM

khyberkitsune: chasd00: Relatively Obscure: The Hunger Games and one Katniss Everdeen. The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be. Because in her world, there was no room for being delicate. Strength, determination and the ability to hunt for food meant survival.

Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.


This fictional character is a bit better.

Too bad she's reduced to the stereotypical sobbing mess when confronting the cyberdyne guy

Read the books and you might get more insight as to why she broke down like a little biatch.


The director dumped her for a younger woman?
 
2013-12-08 08:45:51 PM

Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?

She really enjoys going shooting with me. It is something we bond over, and it teaches her responsibility. She knows how to properly handle firearms. It will also be good when she is out on her own, because a woman having a gun is, IMO, more important than a man having a gun, because it gives her an edge if someone bigger than her wants to victimize her.

Nice narrative. You probably even believe it.


Some people also believe 2+2=4.   This is what happens when you educate the rif-raf.
 
2013-12-08 08:47:02 PM
Based on some of the responses in this thread, my understanding is that if a company markets a pink product to girls, you *have* to buy them that product; under no circumstances are you allowed to buy that whatever you feel is best for them. Is that correct? Because that's the only reasonable explanation that I can come up with for all the outrage.
 
2013-12-08 08:47:02 PM

saintstryfe: brigid_fitch: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

It's easy to market Legos to little girls without making it farking pink: Put girls in the commercials and on the packaging! I hated my Barbies and played with my brother's GI Joes, model railroad, and Hot Wheels because they were way cooler. It was other little girls and their parents who thought I was weird. They'd whisper to my mother, "Do you want her to grow up to be a tomboy?" And Mom would panic and buy me an EZ Bake oven, banning me from playing with my brother's rescue copter.

There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com

you just made them a sale for my niece. She's a crafter, but her grandma is buying her tons of art supplies for Christmas. Nice buidling project. This and and I'm thinking a Shel Silverstien book, since I got her "Where the Sidewalk Ends" last year and that went over like gangbusters.


I would have loved you as an uncle but the one I had was pretty cool he gave us the Artari pong video game way back when, and may cousin Beth the Dark Tower game. Always fun stuff.
 
2013-12-08 08:51:38 PM

Jimmysolson: wellreadneck: Jimmysolson: duffblue: Jimmysolson: Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.

6 to 10 year old gays?

Hey asshole it's not a choice, baby we were born this way.

I doubt they are aware of being gay or not gay at that age.
Unless they've had some help making up their mind, if you know what I mean?

They can be quite aware of it.

Wow!
And how would anyone know that?
Is it because boys are playing with dolls, girls are playing with trucks?
What method of testing/studies would make you know this?
I have no children, I'm obviously not a rocket scientist when it comes to childhood gender studies.
I'd think that outside influence might have some relevance as to childhood behavior.

I think the Nerf toys would be fun for either gender.


Study? Why would I need a study when I can remember having a crush on Clint Walker long before I was molested into being a homo.
 
2013-12-08 08:55:31 PM

shamanwest: 1. If this is supposed to be for Hunger Games, why the ever-living fark is it pink? It doesn't have to be pink. Just put Hunger Games logo on it, and every little girl in the country will want it.


That Hunger Games logo isn't going to come cheap. But make something that can be related to it inside a kids head as being the same and you will make a whole lot more money.
 
2013-12-08 09:01:02 PM

fusillade762: Not as sexist as this:

[www.sunshinecoasttoyshobbies.com.au image 495x559]


True, but my six-year-old niece has had one of those for two years, and every boy that comes over to the house plays with it. It's "washed" Barbie doll clothes, army men, loose change, assorted Lego, and every toy that will fit into its drum. Hell, I've played with it.
 
2013-12-08 09:01:55 PM

SpiderQueenDemon: OgreMagi: I'm sure they are thinking of the rising popularity of bows because of Katniss in the Hunger Games.

A friend of mine owns an archery range and she's seen an increase of tweens and teens learning the sport since the movie.

'Brave' may also have been a contributing factor. My little goddaughter has a compound bow now and has to be reminded that the Scottish accent isn't necessary to fire it. We did, however, let her shoot a flaming arrow to light the bonfire for a recent party, and kid nailed it. Right in the middle of center mass like Princess Merida and her Questionable Auntie taught her.

For Christmas, I am sewing her a dress like Merida's and husband is making her a very light chainmail shirt to wear over her jerkin and leggings for the Renaissance Faire. Aluminum chainmail is of a weight appropriate for seven-year-olds, I think.


If it's a California Ren Faire, then there is a very high likelihood that my friend runs the archery booth.

Also, I disagree, the Scottish accent is absolutely essential for proper archery.
 
2013-12-08 09:04:59 PM

UNAUTHORIZED FINGER: fusillade762: Not as sexist as this:

[www.sunshinecoasttoyshobbies.com.au image 495x559]

True, but my six-year-old niece has had one of those for two years, and every boy that comes over to the house plays with it. It's "washed" Barbie doll clothes, army men, loose change, assorted Lego, and every toy that will fit into its drum. Hell, I've played with it.


Wait you mean it really cleans your toys? Okay, change my opinion I could have used that as a kid. Always outside playing in the sand box or mud.
 
2013-12-08 09:07:37 PM

XanthPrime: Why can't pink be for boys?


Then they'd be biatching about how they aren't pink.

Some elements of feminism are necessary and intelligent. Others are just single-mindedly counterculture.
 
2013-12-08 09:08:00 PM

wellreadneck: Jimmysolson: wellreadneck: Jimmysolson: duffblue: Jimmysolson: Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.

6 to 10 year old gays?

Hey asshole it's not a choice, baby we were born this way.

I doubt they are aware of being gay or not gay at that age.
Unless they've had some help making up their mind, if you know what I mean?

They can be quite aware of it.

Wow!
And how would anyone know that?
Is it because boys are playing with dolls, girls are playing with trucks?
What method of testing/studies would make you know this?
I have no children, I'm obviously not a rocket scientist when it comes to childhood gender studies.
I'd think that outside influence might have some relevance as to childhood behavior.

I think the Nerf toys would be fun for either gender.

Study? Why would I need a study when I can remember having a crush on Clint Walker long before I was molested into being a homo.


My head hurts, maybe I'll just have another beer or six while I contemplate that statement.
Enjoy your evening!
 
2013-12-08 09:08:04 PM

Nutsac_Jim: Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Quantum Apostrophe: BadReligion: Girls like colorful things. My 13 year old daughter has 3 (real) guns, 1 of them is pink, another is purple. The 3rd is black.

Why? Do you live in some kind of war-torn third-world lawless decrepit republic?

She really enjoys going shooting with me. It is something we bond over, and it teaches her responsibility. She knows how to properly handle firearms. It will also be good when she is out on her own, because a woman having a gun is, IMO, more important than a man having a gun, because it gives her an edge if someone bigger than her wants to victimize her.

Nice narrative. You probably even believe it.

Some people also believe 2+2=4.   This is what happens when you educate the rif-raf.


Don't bother. Quantum is what I refer to as a GFW (Gun Fearing Wussie).  He actually believes you can die just by being in close proximity to a firearm, if if it isn't loaded.
 
2013-12-08 09:08:36 PM
worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com
Works both ways, though.
 
2013-12-08 09:08:58 PM

ggecko: This article is full of fail.

They talk about polite and pink and how there is nothing pretty or pink about survival.  Um, who decides that pink is pretty, or that some other color is about "survival"?

And isn't it the author that is making assumptions here?  They make a crossbow that is pink and purple so it is THEM that assumes this is for girls??

The irony is, if this was for boys, the author would have slanted the article to talk about how we shouldn't be marketing "weapons" to little kids.


Anyone who says there's no pink in being a survivalist has never gutted anything.
 
2013-12-08 09:12:01 PM

tinfoil-hat maggie: UNAUTHORIZED FINGER: fusillade762: Not as sexist as this:

[www.sunshinecoasttoyshobbies.com.au image 495x559]

True, but my six-year-old niece has had one of those for two years, and every boy that comes over to the house plays with it. It's "washed" Barbie doll clothes, army men, loose change, assorted Lego, and every toy that will fit into its drum. Hell, I've played with it.

Wait you mean it really cleans your toys? Okay, change my opinion I could have used that as a kid. Always outside playing in the sand box or mud.


Heh, no it just goes in circles. But it'll sure dizzify a gerbil!
 
2013-12-08 09:26:23 PM
cdn.ispot.tv

"Daddy! It's PINK!!"

cdn.ispot.tv

"So, she's a princess. You got a problem with that? Oorah."
 
2013-12-08 09:35:41 PM
This is my bedroom and where I have my computer now.
farm4.staticflickr.com
/They call me a tomboy ; )
 
2013-12-08 09:38:33 PM
11yo daughter got hers this weekend as Reward for high honors. She had spent the last 3 days stalking and shooting me relentlessly.
 
2013-12-08 09:42:07 PM

sendtodave: Relatively Obscure: The Hunger Games and one Katniss Everdeen. The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be. Because in her world, there was no room for being delicate. Strength, determination and the ability to hunt for food meant survival.

Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.


This fictional character is a bit better.

I've actually read the books.

Katniss is in no way a strong anything. She's your typical, annoying, "conflicted" teenaged girl... That can hunt and is willing to sleep in trees.

Tough chick!


I haven't.  So, fair enough, I guess.

In general, though, I still say that movie/TV "strong" girls look waaaay too teeny.  What the hell's wrong with looking athletic and strong?
 
2013-12-08 09:43:26 PM
The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be.

I'd rough and tumble with catnest.  Haven't heard that expression in quite a while.  Or is it an expression.  Maybe they are modifiers.  You could say "The character was a rough young woman".  Maybe you could say "The character was a tumble young woman".  She just happened to be both rough and tumble.  I'd tumble for her, if you know what I mean.  And yes, it does involve boy george.
 
2013-12-08 09:47:21 PM

super_grass: > don't market products to girls
> people complain about leaving girls out

> market products to girls
> people complain about sexism

Solution: ignore the whiners. You'll never be happy trying to appease them.


They aren't complaining about marketing products to girls. They're complaining about this idea that girls all love the color pink. Not all of us do, and it's occasionally a bit annoying to, say, need to buy something and  only have a pink option. And by 'occasionally' I mean 'after the first ten times'.

/Case in point: I currently am the owner of a pair of pink boots because they were the only waterproof ones in my size I could find. Not because I like pink, just because I need my feet to be warm.
 
2013-12-08 09:53:05 PM

tinfoil-hat maggie: This is my bedroom and where I have my computer now.
[farm4.staticflickr.com image 800x600]
/They call me a tomboy ; )



My wife has the same Domo plushy, on a shelf with her teddy bear collection. She was also in the Army and says she could still field strip an M-16 blindfolded if she had to. Still might get her a Rebelle as an Xmas surprise mainly so she can fight back against our boys, and they won't try to 'borrow' her gun...
 
2013-12-08 10:00:41 PM

Gleeman: tinfoil-hat maggie: This is my bedroom and where I have my computer now.
[farm4.staticflickr.com image 800x600]
/They call me a tomboy ; )


My wife has the same Domo plushy, on a shelf with her teddy bear collection. She was also in the Army and says she could still field strip an M-16 blindfolded if she had to. Still might get her a Rebelle as an Xmas surprise mainly so she can fight back against our boys, and they won't try to 'borrow' her gun...


I'm betting she would love it and yea I would've joined the army but I had an eye injury when I was young so well : (
 
2013-12-08 10:01:25 PM

Relatively Obscure: sendtodave: Relatively Obscure: The Hunger Games and one Katniss Everdeen. The character was a rough and tumble young woman because she had to be. Because in her world, there was no room for being delicate. Strength, determination and the ability to hunt for food meant survival.

Too bad she never actually looks strong in any depictions of her I see.


This fictional character is a bit better.

I've actually read the books.

Katniss is in no way a strong anything. She's your typical, annoying, "conflicted" teenaged girl... That can hunt and is willing to sleep in trees.

Tough chick!

I haven't.  So, fair enough, I guess.

In general, though, I still say that movie/TV "strong" girls look waaaay too teeny.  What the hell's wrong with looking athletic and strong?


I think it's all the same thing at the end of the day. The fact that they can be capable, strong characters is totally secondary to them being teen girls. In though, action, looks...

This character spends more time worrying about which boy she likes more, or doesn't, (it's all so confusing!) than fighting in the revolution she sparked.

Would you expect a male character to receive the same treatment?

No, a male character would step up and become a super action hero. His personal relationships would be the kiss after he singlehandedly saved the world.
 
2013-12-08 10:07:29 PM
Whoever that was that played Zoe on Firefly was also not too terrible.  Looked a hell of a lot more athletic and strong than the supposed superhuman badass girl, anyway.
 
2013-12-08 10:17:02 PM

PsiChick: /Case in point: I currently am the owner of a pair of pink boots because they were the only waterproof ones in my size I could find. Not because I like pink, just because I need my feet to be warm.


2.bp.blogspot.com

Just sayin'. They come in all sizes from little kids to big ol' man feet. I have a pair that's lasted me a good 2 decades now. I definitely got my moneys worth out of them.

/duck boots
 
2013-12-08 10:22:04 PM

Radioactive Ass: PsiChick: /Case in point: I currently am the owner of a pair of pink boots because they were the only waterproof ones in my size I could find. Not because I like pink, just because I need my feet to be warm.

[2.bp.blogspot.com image 452x599]

Just sayin'. They come in all sizes from little kids to big ol' man feet. I have a pair that's lasted me a good 2 decades now. I definitely got my moneys worth out of them.

/duck boots


Oooh. Next I go boot shoppin', I'mma find a pair.
 
2013-12-08 10:25:43 PM
Pink has nothing to do with survival? Wish I could agree. Used to be primary orienteer and a first responder doing search and rescue across New England. The only gear I never lost in brush and never had anyone steal from my pack was the stuff I painted pink. Didn't care that some folks thought I was gay for it(girls included on this one), I was the only one that always had his own gear on the trail. It was an unwritten rule in my personal survival training.

I'm a dude, and my experience is that pink and survival can be connected.
 
2013-12-08 10:32:39 PM

PsiChick: Oooh. Next I go boot shoppin', I'mma find a pair.


Prolly cheaper online unless you have a less than standard foot shape or size that makes you have to try them on first (or go to a store and try on a pair then find them online).
 
2013-12-08 10:34:04 PM

talbotlynx: I'm a dude, and my experience is that pink and survival can be connected.


Also, no guy will steal your shiat. That's why I buy pink Bic lighters!
 
2013-12-08 10:39:06 PM

brigid_fitch: There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com


Oh hells yes, Goldieblox. I LOVED their Beastie Boys commercial with the Rube Goldberg "Princess Machine" built out of princessy toys! Sadly, they had to remove their version of the Beastie Boys tune but it was sheer awesome and put a huge grin on my face.

There's a lot of self-fulfilling prophecy in this thread. I've got a son and a daughter, and I think it's pretty tough to raise kids to escape the pink vs. blue barrage from the moment they leave the womb. Since we don't rear humans in vacuums, it's hard to tell if little girls actually do have an innate appreciation for pink and froufrou stuff or if it's just what they have been told from day one - and you don't have to tell them directly, just inundate them and their environment with it - that "this is for girls, that is for boys." And little kids police the fark out of each other! My daughter had her hair cut in a pixie cut and went to kindergarten happily the next day, only to be told by her classmates that she "was a boy." We had to show her pictures of Karen Kain and Audrey Hepburn in order to convince her she didn't have to have long hair to be a girl. So yeah, there's still some work for feminism to do (and that goes for letting little boys do what they want to do too).
 
2013-12-08 10:39:20 PM

sendtodave: Katniss catnest is in no way a strong anything. She's your typical, annoying, "conflicted" teenaged girl... That can hunt and is willing to sleep in with trees.


ftfy
 
2013-12-08 10:41:46 PM

Radioactive Ass: PsiChick: Oooh. Next I go boot shoppin', I'mma find a pair.

Prolly cheaper online unless you have a less than standard foot shape or size that makes you have to try them on first (or go to a store and try on a pair then find them online).


Women's 10 1/2. I hate shoe shopping, no one stocks that size.
 
2013-12-08 10:42:16 PM

talbotlynx: Pink has nothing to do with survival? Wish I could agree. Used to be primary orienteer and a first responder doing search and rescue across New England. The only gear I never lost in brush and never had anyone steal from my pack was the stuff I painted pink. Didn't care that some folks thought I was gay for it(girls included on this one), I was the only one that always had his own gear on the trail. It was an unwritten rule in my personal survival training.

I'm a dude, and my experience is that pink and survival can be connected.


Same here (in a way). I never buy the standard color tools if I can help it. The more garish the better. I never lose tools and nobody "Borrows" them and wanders off because it's always obvious whose they are. I have a neon lime green tape measure that I've had since forever and a bright red utility knife that I bought before that that's still in my tool kit. The rest have lime green spray painted somewhere on them or have a lime green plastisol wrap on the handle or shank depending on what it is.
 
2013-12-08 10:50:20 PM

PsiChick: Women's 10 1/2. I hate shoe shopping, no one stocks that size.


There ya go. Get the size 11 and wear thick socks with them for even toastier tootsies.
 
2013-12-08 10:55:15 PM

Radioactive Ass: PsiChick: Women's 10 1/2. I hate shoe shopping, no one stocks that size.

There ya go. Get the size 11 and wear thick socks with them for even toastier tootsies.


Make that a size 10, they tend to run large (but L.L. Bean has a good return to change size policy including the shipping label that comes with each pair of shoes just in case so you should be OK either way).
 
2013-12-08 11:02:14 PM

BHShaman: 11yo daughter got hers this weekend as Reward for high honors. She had spent the last 3 days stalking and shooting me relentlessly.


Why didn't you get yourself a nerf weapon at the same time?  You knew this was going to happen so you have no one to blame but yourself.
 
2013-12-08 11:02:22 PM
I was compelled to comment in this thread for some odd reason.
 
2013-12-08 11:06:23 PM
It's what my nieces are getting that standard gun version for Christmas.  My nephew is getting the zombie killer version.  Who gives a crap is they are aimed at girls. They are going to love them that's all that matters.
 
2013-12-08 11:11:55 PM
If women/girls liked orange, stuff would be made orange to market to them. You sell people stuff that they want.
 
2013-12-08 11:42:35 PM
www.fototime.com
 
2013-12-08 11:55:31 PM

TheVeryDeadIanMartin: [www.fototime.com image 400x245]


That boat had wimmins on it so the pink still applies, I guess...
 
2013-12-08 11:58:48 PM

TheVeryDeadIanMartin: [www.fototime.com image 400x245]


So what's long, pink, and full of seamen?
 
2013-12-09 12:33:55 AM

WorldCitizen: It is really funny that in 2013 if you walk into a toy store there is a VERY obvious girls' section which is VERY much pink. And of course, the boys' section is full of blue. It's all very 1950s still in a toy store.


Nah. If it were still the 1950's there would be candy cigarettes in the stores and chemistry sets with real atomic reactors and uranium in them. I can't think of a Christmas present which would be more awesomely metal than that.

It's a clever way to get girls more interested in boys toys--dress em up in pink. (Of course, I never needed glitter and pink to make me interested in boys toys as a kid. To me they just looked so much more interesting than the girls toys. ) I had my own chemistry set too at one point (Didn't care that it wasn't pink. I did transition from that into candlemaking eventually, which I suppose could be seen as a girlier activity... )

Boys and girls have different brain wiring and are going to care about different activities/have different modes of thinking based on their physical roles in the act of reproduction.  As long as those boys and girls who want to branch off and do opposite-gender based things are allowed to do so, then what's the harm in having gender roles? No one complains about the unfairness of rigidly defined gender roles in the animal kingdom.  Why would we think that instinct doesn't play a part in our gender roles as well?
 
2013-12-09 01:15:23 AM

TOSViolation: ou know why that toy is available?  Because LITTLE GIRLS LIKE TO PLAY HOUSE.


Yep.   Male monkeys prefer boys' toys.   Gender & Toys: Monkey Study Suggests Hormonal Basis For Children's Toy Preferences


People get outraged over the dumbest things.
 
2013-12-09 01:57:27 AM
Someone post that picture from Saturday Morning Brekafast Cereal... Here's the link, just too lazy.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1883#comic

Big families get over the concept of gendered toys pretty quickly - or maybe that's just my experience in my extended family. Stuff like LEGOs are worth their weight in gold, all kids love em. An actual doll gets very little traction. This is double true for stuff that can actually be used to play, not just played with, like anything that bounces or flies.

/shrug
 
2013-12-09 02:06:49 AM

yourmomlovestetris: No one complains about the unfairness of rigidly defined gender roles in the animal kingdom.


Except for those damned marmots.
 
2013-12-09 02:35:00 AM

Vitamin Pb: They should make it rainbow colored to market it to the gays.


For a gay cupid?
 
2013-12-09 02:50:45 AM

TOSViolation: The typical female child is interested in a certain type of toy and/or color scheme.  It doesn't have to be learned.  The thing is, not 100% of all little girls will be typical.


That is patently stupid and it's been proven time and again to be wrong.

The "typical female child" is a myth to start with.  If you want to define their parents personalities, station and location, we can begin to have some small idea of what "typical" might be.  However, if you want to pretend that there exists a norm, you aren't playing with a full deck.
 
2013-12-09 07:45:23 AM
After all, we've had a number of women in badass roles. Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor in Terminator 2 comes to mind.

"Oh yeah, we've had  lots of women in badass roles.  Remember that one girl from that one movie over twenty-two years ago?"
 
2013-12-09 08:11:42 AM
As a Nerfer its kinda cool is that Hasbro designed the Rebelle line from the ground up for the most part, theyre not just recolor of existing Blasters. In fact,  one of the Rebelle ones ones was released first with a recolor in the "boys" line released later.

4.bp.blogspot.com
2.bp.blogspot.com

I got my fiancee the Rebelle Sweet Revenge and myself the Zombiestrike Hammersmith. Also got my buddy and his wife a set for a housewarming gift.
 
2013-12-09 11:21:14 AM

Smelma_Kayak: brigid_fitch: There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com

Oh hells yes, Goldieblox. I LOVED their Beastie Boys commercial with the Rube Goldberg "Princess Machine" built out of princessy toys! Sadly, they had to remove their version of the Beastie Boys tune but it was sheer awesome and put a huge grin on my face.

There's a lot of self-fulfilling prophecy in this thread. I've got a son and a daughter, and I think it's pretty tough to raise kids to escape the pink vs. blue barrage from the moment they leave the womb. Since we don't rear humans in vacuums, it's hard to tell if little girls actually do have an innate appreciation for pink and froufrou stuff or if it's just what they have been told from day one - and you don't have to tell them directly, just inundate them and their environment with it - that "this is for girls, that is for boys." And little kids police the fark out of each other! My daughter had her hair cut in a pixie cut and went to kindergarten happily the next day, only to be told by her classmates that she "was a boy." We had to show her pictures of Karen Kain and Audrey Hepburn in order to convince her she didn't have to have long hair to be a girl. So yeah, there's still some work for feminism to do (and that goes for letting little boys do what they want to do too).


QFT.  My son is four, and up until the day he started kindergarten, purple was his favourite colour.  Now it's all "Josh says purple is for girls" and "Matt says dancing is for girls" and "Greg says stuffies are for girls".  GAH.

My biggest problem with the "girls toys" isn't that they're pink (allow though I hate pink myself) or purple, it's that they are crap.  Everyone says it's silly to be mad at pink LEGO, because LEGO is just painting the bricks pink so that girls will play with them, and that's a good thing.  But have you seen the "girls" LEGO?   It's just little tables and chairs and people and animals - you hardly have to "build" anything.  It's a playset with a couple of things that click together.  THAT is what I hate about girls toys.

The baby girl is getting real LEGO (duplo) for Christmas, and she loves it more than her brother ever did.  He's a puzzle guy.
 
2013-12-09 04:42:58 PM
 
2013-12-09 05:03:46 PM
I saw this in the store and asked my daughter if she would like one.  "No Dad. I need at least a 20 round magazine."
Makes a man tear up with pride.
 
2013-12-09 07:10:52 PM

MonoChango: I saw this in the store and asked my daughter if she would like one.  "No Dad. I need at least a 20 round magazine."
Makes a man tear up with pride.


You're raising her right. Pat yourself on the back and have a beer in celebration.
 
2013-12-10 01:02:50 AM

tinfoil-hat maggie: saintstryfe: brigid_fitch: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

It's easy to market Legos to little girls without making it farking pink: Put girls in the commercials and on the packaging! I hated my Barbies and played with my brother's GI Joes, model railroad, and Hot Wheels because they were way cooler. It was other little girls and their parents who thought I was weird. They'd whisper to my mother, "Do you want her to grow up to be a tomboy?" And Mom would panic and buy me an EZ Bake oven, banning me from playing with my brother's rescue copter.

There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com

you just made them a sale for my niece. She's a crafter, but her grandma is buying her tons of art supplies for Christmas. Nice buidling project. This and and I'm thinking a Shel Silverstien book, since I got her "Where the Sidewalk Ends" last year and that went over like gangbusters.

I would have loved you as an uncle but the one I had was pretty cool he gave us the Artari pong video game way back when, and may cousin Beth the Dark Tower game. Always fun stuff.


She got the DSi last year - give her a few years before moving onto a "real" console, if she's still interested in games at that point. Young girls are so fickle.

Oh she also is getting a whole metric buttload of Ponies, since one of my friends works for Hasbro. She's also gonna gorge on episodes - her mom and dad don't have HUB network so I recorded them all for her to watch, and she'll go home with DVDs.

Cyno01: As a Nerfer its kinda cool is that Hasbro designed the Rebelle line from the ground up for the most part, theyre not just recolor of existing Blasters. In fact,  one of the Rebelle ones ones was released first with a recolor in the "boys" line released later.

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 526x397]
[2.bp.blogspot.com image 610x393]

I got my fiancee the Rebelle Sweet Revenge and myself the Zombiestrike Hammersmith. Also got my buddy and his wife a set for a housewarming gift.


Well see, now that changes my mind a bit. If it was just a recolor, I could see a reason to say it's sexist. But if they changed the design a bit to make it friendlier for smaller hands that's actually a real step. I like that.
 
2013-12-10 01:40:43 AM

saintstryfe: tinfoil-hat maggie: saintstryfe: brigid_fitch: spmkk: brigid_fitch: "Typically I'd start ranting about the "pinking and shrinking" of cool stuff in order to market them for girls (farking pink Legos....)"


Dude. Whatever it takes to get girls to play with Legos. Seriously. I don't care if they have to infuse glitter into the plastic and paint the bricks with farking nail polish to get girls to choose building a Lego construction over brushing Barbie's hair. If it works, and more girls start engineering shiat, more power to them.

It's easy to market Legos to little girls without making it farking pink: Put girls in the commercials and on the packaging! I hated my Barbies and played with my brother's GI Joes, model railroad, and Hot Wheels because they were way cooler. It was other little girls and their parents who thought I was weird. They'd whisper to my mother, "Do you want her to grow up to be a tomboy?" And Mom would panic and buy me an EZ Bake oven, banning me from playing with my brother's rescue copter.

There's a company now that markets science, construction, and engineering toys for girls without making them pink. They just make the commercials and packaging fun and interesting and feature girls: www.Goldieblox.com

you just made them a sale for my niece. She's a crafter, but her grandma is buying her tons of art supplies for Christmas. Nice buidling project. This and and I'm thinking a Shel Silverstien book, since I got her "Where the Sidewalk Ends" last year and that went over like gangbusters.

I would have loved you as an uncle but the one I had was pretty cool he gave us the Artari pong video game way back when, and may cousin Beth the Dark Tower game. Always fun stuff.

She got the DSi last year - give her a few years before moving onto a "real" console, if she's still interested in games at that point. Young girls are so fickle.

Oh she also is getting a whole metric buttload of Ponies, since one of my friends works for Hasbro. She's also gonna go ...


I looked at Target and no not there yes I want one.well, eveven walmart online was out of stock on those last I checked. this is the new elmo so to speak.
 
2013-12-10 03:02:14 AM

MonoChango: I saw this in the store and asked my daughter if she would like one.  "No Dad. I need at least a 20 round magazine."
Makes a man tear up with pride.


When she is old enough, get her an FN five seven.  Lovely little firearm and it holds 21.  ;)
 
Displayed 179 of 179 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report