Fubini: CSTThere was a certain midwest engineering college that gave all the incoming freshman the following assignment:Make a chemically powered model carThere were quite a few well meaning but mediocre students who settled for simple (safe) chemical reactions, such as combining vinegar and baking soda to make water and CO2. Some others were a little more adventurous.One young student, not really knowing chemistry (but figuring he did), just walked down to the chemical storeroom and asked for "strong hydrochloric acid". The stockroom guy, apparently devoid of sense, looked around and found an ancient bottle of 8 molar HCL. Figuring that the kid knew what he was asking for, handed over the acid.The wayward freshman proceeded with the bottle back to his dorm room to experiment. This is where things get a little fuzzy, but it suffices to say that in the course of said activity his bottle shattered. Three floors of the dorm were evacuated for several hours while the gasses vented. The wayward freshman was first hosed down by the school and then had to stand outside at some length with no pants on. It's rumored that when he returned to his room his keyboard had melted and fused onto his desk, and that all metal surfaces (including his roommates) had become severely rusted.Following this incident the chemical stockroom implemented stricter controls over who was allowed access to ancient bottles of extremely strong acids.
fusillade762: [tvmedia.ign.com image 468x270]/oblig
alizeran: Bottom? I think you mean front...[img.fark.net image 288x216]
tetsoushima: [blog.seattlepi.com image 568x426]Why is the Seattle Fire Department using Instagram?
StopLurkListen: tetsoushima: [blog.seattlepi.com image 568x426]Why is the Seattle Fire Department using Instagram?That's not 1:1 format, so ... not Instagram?
Suckmaster Burstingfoam: I spilled some HCl all over my arm in lab once. Freaked out for a sec, then just sat there and watched my wet arm do nothing. Rinsed it off after a minute or so then told the TA his HCl sucks and is ghey.I thought it would at least fizz like H2O2.
doglover: At least it wasn't HF or some other solution. HCl will burn you pretty bad, but it's natural. You make it in your stomach. HF isn't natural and while it won't eat dead meat like in Breaking Bad, it will kill you. It's contact poison and can give you a heart attack, or just go to town inside your body and do all kinds of nasty.
JohnAnnArbor: That'll clear the ol' sinuses.
LesserEvil: tetsoushima: [blog.seattlepi.com image 568x426]Why is the Seattle Fire Department using Instagram?That's just the way things look in Seattle (and down south in Portland, too). It's because of the thick concentration of smug from hipsters and hippies that infest the area.
tetsoushima: http://i.minus.com/ibazhDkbGDPb5P.gif I thought this gif was relevant to the thread. too large to fit on here, but relevant.
If you like these links, you'll love
Total accessTotal knowledgeTotal Fark
Sign up for the Fark NotNewsletter!
Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.
When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.
Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.
You need to create an account to submit links or post comments.
Click here to submit a link.
Also on Fark
Submit a Link »
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 Fark, Inc | Last updated: Dec 17 2017 05:51:56
Runtime: 0.362 sec (361 ms)