topcon: Mercury is NOT the super toxic substance the nanny-state world seems to think it is. Literally decades of children played with it in classrooms and otherwise, and they were just fine. I mean yeah, you don't want to eat the shiat and play with it all day long, but minor exposure to it is NOT going to affect you.
Ctrl-Alt-Del: This wasn't "erring on the side of caution," this was "completely disregarding the Mass. DEP guidelines" for cleaning up Mercury spills. Spills of less than one pound (~2 tablespoons) of mercury do not require a hazmat team, they can be cleaned up by the homeowner with gloves and an eyedropper, basically.
Cyno01: Wasnt there a story a while back about some family having to move out of their home while it was decontaminated because somebody broke a fluorescent bulb and everyone involved erred on the side of caution and nobody wanted to just say "Its just a little mercury, not really that big a deal, put a fan in the window for a while".
If you like these links, you'll love
The next best thing to UltraFark
Sign up for the Fark NotNewsletter!
Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.
When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.
Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.
You need to create an account to submit links or post comments.
Click here to submit a link.
Also on Fark
Submit a Link »
Copyright © 1999 - 2018 Fark, Inc | Last updated: Feb 21 2018 18:41:26
Runtime: 0.276 sec (276 ms)