If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(CBS News)   Mercury levels in fish on the rise, which is bad. But maybe concerns over eating contaminated fish could lead to a rebound in fish populations, which would be good   (cbsnews.com) divider line 19
    More: Scary, mercury, swordfish, predatory fish, Nature Geoscience, surface layers, environmental scientist, CHINESE, trouts  
•       •       •

385 clicks; posted to Geek » on 27 Aug 2013 at 9:18 AM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



19 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2013-08-27 08:11:11 AM  
But then the fish population would die from mercury exposure. which would be bad. But then we'd jumpstart another mass cleanup program, which would be good. The cleanup would contain potassium benzoate.

.....

...that's bad
 
2013-08-27 08:32:22 AM  
FISH WITH SPRINKLES!!!!!!
 
2013-08-27 09:24:50 AM  
concerns over eating contaminated fish

static1.businessinsider.com
 
2013-08-27 09:28:55 AM  
I assume we'll all be saved by an autistic boy?

kennethauthor.files.wordpress.com
 
2013-08-27 09:31:16 AM  
Yeah, not so much, subby.  The only fishermen's response to ANY problem with the fishing industry is to catch more fish.
 
2013-08-27 09:48:36 AM  
I'm less concerned with the mercury levels in fish and more interested in their frogurt levels.

25.media.tumblr.com
 
2013-08-27 09:50:24 AM  
Eat more sustainably farmed fish from uncontaminated areas.
Less MC.Random fish cakes that were caught by a trawler off Hong Kong.

Problem solved.
 
2013-08-27 09:52:21 AM  

bdub77: I assume we'll all be saved by an autistic boy?

[198x300 from http://kennethauthor.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/mercury_rising_1998_1 98x300_269252.jpg image 198x300]


FIFM
 
2013-08-27 10:10:24 AM  
Poison.... poison.... quicksilver fish!
 
2013-08-27 10:13:57 AM  
Mercury is old hat and people never took it seriously, radiation is the new hotness.
 
2013-08-27 10:18:32 AM  
Just eat more kale.  Problem solved.
 
2013-08-27 11:00:30 AM  
They've been saying mercury levels were automobile for years and it never did me any jumbotron.
 
2013-08-27 11:39:10 AM  
upload.wikimedia.org
 
2013-08-27 12:26:03 PM  

way south: Eat more sustainably farmed fish from uncontaminated areas.
Less MC.Random fish cakes that were caught by a trawler off Hong Kong.

Problem solved.


Most farmed fish lives off of the tiny tasty fish that are being ripped from the ocean.

90% of the fish I eat is farmed tilapia these days, vegetarian fish are fairly efficient to farm.  The other 10% is a mix of sushi grade tuna and sardines/anchovies.  Although we had another thread recently that claimed a new synthetic protein food is now possible for farmed carnivorous fish.
 
2013-08-27 12:27:46 PM  

way south: Eat more sustainably farmed fish from uncontaminated areas.
Less MC.Random fish cakes that were caught by a trawler off Hong Kong.

Problem solved.


Do you know how I know you didn't bother reading or even skimming the article?
 
2013-08-27 01:18:01 PM  

nocturnal001: way south: Eat more sustainably farmed fish from uncontaminated areas.
Less MC.Random fish cakes that were caught by a trawler off Hong Kong.

Problem solved.

Most farmed fish lives off of the tiny tasty fish that are being ripped from the ocean.

90% of the fish I eat is farmed tilapia these days, vegetarian fish are fairly efficient to farm.  The other 10% is a mix of sushi grade tuna and sardines/anchovies.  Although we had another thread recently that claimed a new synthetic protein food is now possible for farmed carnivorous fish.




Soybean mixed with assorted things. They were studying it in an experimental farm not too far from here.
Tilapia is a great fish (trying to setup a back yard aquaponics rig myself) but they don't compare to cobia or tuna for flavor.

It was always possible to raise those on things besides by catch (which does more harm than good), but not profitable until recently.
It also makes more money to send trawlers into everyone's back hard and deplete their fish stocks.
Eventually these practices will bite everyone in the ass and renewable famed fish will be the only source.

I'm just hoping it happens while there are wild stocks left to save.
Just get the industrial fishing boats out the ocean for a few years and there ceases to be a problem.
 
2013-08-27 02:02:57 PM  
Yay world! We will soon be eating our own shiat, and we'll like it!
 
2013-08-27 02:26:14 PM  
Mercury levels have gone down in the Bay Area since 1996. Dramatically more since they put up the paywall and they haven't recovered.
 
2013-08-27 02:41:36 PM  

way south: nocturnal001: way south: Eat more sustainably farmed fish from uncontaminated areas.
Less MC.Random fish cakes that were caught by a trawler off Hong Kong.

Problem solved.

Most farmed fish lives off of the tiny tasty fish that are being ripped from the ocean.

90% of the fish I eat is farmed tilapia these days, vegetarian fish are fairly efficient to farm.  The other 10% is a mix of sushi grade tuna and sardines/anchovies.  Although we had another thread recently that claimed a new synthetic protein food is now possible for farmed carnivorous fish.

Soybean mixed with assorted things. They were studying it in an experimental farm not too far from here.
Tilapia is a great fish (trying to setup a back yard aquaponics rig myself) but they don't compare to cobia or tuna for flavor.

It was always possible to raise those on things besides by catch (which does more harm than good), but not profitable until recently.
It also makes more money to send trawlers into everyone's back hard and deplete their fish stocks.
Eventually these practices will bite everyone in the ass and renewable famed fish will be the only source.

I'm just hoping it happens while there are wild stocks left to save.
Just get the industrial fishing boats out the ocean for a few years and there ceases to be a problem.


We could hope. My concern is that we haven't even been able to halt whaling. Halting major fishing operations worldwide, especially in Asia where they depend on fish so much would be difficult.

Too many people on this planet I think.
 
Displayed 19 of 19 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report