If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(CBC)   While we've been fixated on Zimmerman, the Royal Baby, and Weiner's weener, the North Pole turned into a lake   (cbc.ca) divider line 143
    More: Scary, North Pole, George Zimmerman, Anthony Weiner  
•       •       •

13251 clicks; posted to Main » on 26 Jul 2013 at 6:11 AM (37 weeks ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



143 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest
 
2013-07-25 11:10:05 PM
I better give Santa that snorkeling gear back.

He's going to need it more than me.
 
2013-07-25 11:12:28 PM
Who left the freezer door open?
 
2013-07-25 11:18:22 PM
What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.
 
2013-07-25 11:29:06 PM

miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.


> thinks global warming exists
> complains about ill-informed people
 
2013-07-25 11:35:49 PM
That's perfectly normal.  Because sunspots.
 
2013-07-25 11:38:35 PM
Obviously, Jesus wants it to be a lake.
 
2013-07-25 11:38:36 PM
But only during the daytime.
 
2013-07-25 11:42:07 PM
Poles melting doesn't have the same drama as a possible racist shooting.

News are gonna report what gets the eyeballs. They don't give two shiats about anything else but money.
 
2013-07-25 11:44:23 PM

Mike_LowELL: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

> thinks global warming exists
> complains about ill-informed people


I have the power to summon green text? Awesome.

Also:

chriscolose.files.wordpress.com

This really isn't all that surprising given the accelerated rate of melting of summer sea ice over the last few decades.
 
2013-07-25 11:51:17 PM

cman: Poles melting doesn't have the same drama as a possible racist shooting.

News are gonna report what gets the eyeballs. They don't give two shiats about anything else but money.


Actually, here's how it works:
Corporate media: "Hey look - Zimmermann! Royal Baby! (*steals your retirement money*) Carlos Danger! North Pole's melting!"
 
2013-07-26 12:00:41 AM

miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.


If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

4.bp.blogspot.com

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.
 
2013-07-26 12:03:25 AM

Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.


I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.
 
2013-07-26 12:14:10 AM
You know what happens when the ice completely melts in your drink?
 
2013-07-26 12:18:26 AM

Sgygus: You know what happens when the ice completely melts in your drink?


The level stays the same. Unfortunately, in this case, the ice melting replaces the white ice (high albedo) with dark water (low albedo), leading to more heat being absorbed, leading to a rise in water temps, melting more ice, etc.
 
2013-07-26 12:19:42 AM

Triumph: But only during the daytime.


Which is like 6 months up there.
 
2013-07-26 12:20:26 AM

Sgygus: You know what happens when the ice completely melts in your drink?


You wince, chug it all down then put fresh ice in and fill to the rim with bourbon. It's not global warming/rocket science.
 
2013-07-26 03:02:05 AM
I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.
 
2013-07-26 03:02:20 AM

Paris1127: The level stays the same.


Yes, but after the ice melts, the temperature of the drink rapidly increases.  We should follow Red Shirt Blues' suggestion and drop an icy comet in the Arctic Ocean.  Keep it chilly.
 
2013-07-26 03:19:26 AM

Kevin72: My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets


Are you sure about that?

Can you disprove it?
 
2013-07-26 03:31:19 AM

Paris1127: Sgygus: You know what happens when the ice completely melts in your drink?

The level stays the same. Unfortunately, in this case, the ice melting replaces the white ice (high albedo) with dark water (low albedo), leading to more heat being absorbed, leading to a rise in water temps, melting more ice, etc.


Someone paging Albedo? Fine, but have some chili fries available.

images2.wikia.nocookie.net
 
2013-07-26 03:35:30 AM

MurphyMurphy: Kevin72: My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets

Are you sure about that?

Can you disprove it?


Disprove that global warming is also happening on other planets? That's already been proven.
And no I do not wish to disprove the greenhouse gas theory. But it has not been proven as the primary cause of global warming though it is popularly thought of as. But popularity is not proof.
 
2013-07-26 03:42:22 AM
If this is such a surprise. Why is there a BUOY there in the first place?
 
2013-07-26 05:23:25 AM

Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.


Does it need to? Venus had a runaway climate shift probably billions of years ago, Mars lost its atmosphere and has been at the mercy of the solar winds for billions also. Changes in climate might be caused by a myriad of factors, we just have to focus on what is responsible for our issues. We had a stable atmosphere with (to our perspective) very gradual changes in climate over eons, but now when we pump out greenhouse gasses we see the climate shift in years, not millenia. As far as I'm aware the only time something has happened on a comparable time scale on earth has been after a cataclysmic event, such as massive meteor impact, or massive volcanic eruption. Both of which are characterised by the ejection of vast swathes of 'stuffs' into the atmosphere, interfering with the way sunlight gets in and out, thus affecting the temperatures of the planet.

If archaeologists can identify Roman strata based on atmospheric lead levels caused by their industry, mainly the Rio Tinto mines in Southern Spain, and even the earliest agricultural activities several thousand years ago can be identified in paleo-atmospheric changes, doesn't that make it seem rather plausible to think that the masses of gasses we emit from cars and industry globally could have a significant effect on the climate?

I'm not some radical eco-warrior who'd call for an end to industry and mass transit. I'm just frustrated that this was a problem identified decades ago and something could have been done, but even today people still hope to ignore it in the belief that it will pass them by. I'm certain there are some very powerful people resistant to spend money on change because they know they will be dead by the time the consequences hit anyway.
 
2013-07-26 06:16:52 AM
Climate changing??

When was it stable? I didn't get that memo..
 
2013-07-26 06:20:48 AM
This summer has been really farking hot.

You can't explain that.
 
2013-07-26 06:21:20 AM
It's alright, it'll freeze again. I hear it gets cold up there in the winter.
 
2013-07-26 06:23:48 AM
rlv.zcache.com
 
2013-07-26 06:28:19 AM
OOOOH Geeeezus!
 
2013-07-26 06:30:12 AM

miss diminutive: Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.

I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.


You know who else believed in the hollow Earth theory?
 
2013-07-26 06:31:13 AM

Kevin72: MurphyMurphy: Kevin72: My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets

Are you sure about that?

Can you disprove it?

Disprove that global warming is also happening on other planets? That's already been proven.
And no I do not wish to disprove the greenhouse gas theory. But it has not been proven as the primary cause of global warming though it is popularly thought of as. But popularity is not proof.


How do you know if you're not examining the issue?
 
2013-07-26 06:32:05 AM
On the bright side, this will take care of our Florida problem.
 
2013-07-26 06:32:43 AM

fungoo: If this is such a surprise. Why is there a BUOY there in the first place?


It's not a surprise, it's happened before. But not every year and not this early in the season. Note one shot shows rain.

For some reason, rain at the Pole was a touch freakier than open meltwater.
 
2013-07-26 06:36:08 AM

Red Shirt Blues: Sgygus: You know what happens when the ice completely melts in your drink?

You wince, chug it all down then put fresh ice in and fill to the rim with bourbon. It's not global warming/rocket science.


Sgygus: Paris1127: The level stays the same.

Yes, but after the ice melts, the temperature of the drink rapidly increases.  We should follow Red Shirt Blues' suggestion and drop an icy comet in the Arctic Ocean.  Keep it chilly.


img198.imageshack.us

"Thus solving the problem once and for all."

"But..."

"ONCE AND FOR ALL!"
 
2013-07-26 06:36:52 AM
Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?
 
2013-07-26 06:36:57 AM

fungoo: If this is such a surprise. Why is there a BUOY there in the first place?


What, did you want one of those red and white barber poles with a big NORTH POLE sign there instead?
 
2013-07-26 06:38:34 AM
Which pole, magnetic or true?
 
2013-07-26 06:38:42 AM

gfid: Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?


If Santa's Worshop is in Canada.... no, he doesn't.
 
2013-07-26 06:40:08 AM

Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.


*Sigh*

http://www.skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warmi ng .htm
Over the last 35 years the sun has shown a slight cooling trend. However global temperatures have been increasing. Since the sun and climate are going in opposite directions scientists conclude the sun cannot be the cause of recent global warming.The only way to blame the sun for the current rise in temperatures is by cherry picking the data. This is done by showing only past periods when sun and climate move together and ignoring the last few decades when the two are moving in opposite direction.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/cosmic-rays-and-global-warming.htm
The galactic cosmic ray (GCR) warming hypothesis is based on the premise that GCRs can "seed" clouds, and clouds reflect sunilight.  So if there are fewer GCRs reaching Earth (because a strong solar magnetic field is deflecting them away), the hypothesis says there will be fewer clouds, more sunlight reaching the Earth's surface, and thus more global warming.

So more solar activity means a stronger solar magnetic field, which means fewer GCRs reaching Earth, which hypothetically means fewer clouds and more warming.

The body of scientific research has determined that

On the contrary, while GCRs are up, global temperatures are also way up, and temperatures in recent years reached record highs.


http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-on-mars.htm
At this time, there is little empirical evidence that Mars is warming. Mars' climate is primarily driven by dust and albedo, not solar variations, and we know the sun is not heating up all the planets in our solar system because we can accurately measure the sun's output here on Earth.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/empirical-evidence-for-co2-enhanced- gr eenhouse-effect.htm

As temperatures started to rise, scientists became more and more interested in the cause. Many theories were proposed. All save one have fallen by the wayside, discarded for lack of evidence. One theory alone has stood the test of time, strengthened by experiments.

We know CO2 absorbs and re-emits longwave radiation (Tyndall). The theory of greenhouse gases predicts that if we increase the proportion of greenhouse gases, more warming will occur (Arrhenius).

Scientists have measured the influence of CO2 on both incoming solar energy and outgoing long-wave radiation. Less longwave radiation is escaping to space at the specific wavelengths of greenhouse gases. Increased longwave radiation is measured at the surface of the Earth at the same wavelengths.
 
2013-07-26 06:40:29 AM

WippitGuud: gfid: Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?

If Santa's Worshop is in Canada.... no, he doesn't.


Santa's Workshop is in San Bernardino off the 10 and 210.
 
2013-07-26 06:42:38 AM

AverageAmericanGuy: WippitGuud: gfid: Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?

If Santa's Worshop is in Canada.... no, he doesn't.

Santa's Workshop is in San Bernardino off the 10 and 210.


Oh sure. I bet he has a bunch of blondes in bikinis for elves.


www.dees-fancydress.co.uk


Uh-huh. Knew it.
 
2013-07-26 06:43:23 AM
As long as reproduction is a "right", with no corresponding "responsibilities", the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as anybody with  a functional set of genitals can pump out a "unit", and society has to collectively work incrementally harder to support that unit for them, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as it's beneficial to the Democrats to perpetuate this "lack of personal responsibility" social model, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as the Supreme Court keeps making the overwhelming majority of its decisions in favor of big businesses, the problem will do nothing but get worse.

In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.
 
2013-07-26 06:43:29 AM

AverageAmericanGuy: WippitGuud: gfid: Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?

If Santa's Worshop is in Canada.... no, he doesn't.

Santa's Workshop is in San Bernardino off the 10 and 210.


You misspelled Mexico.
 
2013-07-26 06:43:53 AM
We're farked.  Well, our grandkids are anyway.
 
2013-07-26 06:44:01 AM

AverageAmericanGuy: WippitGuud: gfid: Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?

If Santa's Worshop is in Canada.... no, he doesn't.

Santa's Workshop is in San Bernardino off the 10 and 210.


Don't know about Santa's workshop, but Santa's village is in Dundee Illinois.
 
2013-07-26 06:44:46 AM

ongbok: AverageAmericanGuy: WippitGuud: gfid: Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?

If Santa's Worshop is in Canada.... no, he doesn't.

Santa's Workshop is in San Bernardino off the 10 and 210.

Don't know about Santa's workshop, but Santa's village is in Dundee Illinois.


Does it have a petting zoo?
 
2013-07-26 06:48:45 AM

kqc7011: Which pole, magnetic or true?


That was my first thought as well.... but the North Pole Environmental Observatory turns out to be at true north, 90 degrees, top of the world.
 
2013-07-26 06:52:17 AM

kqc7011: Which pole, magnetic or true?


or stripper?
 
2013-07-26 06:59:42 AM
Because it's hot in the North Pole, does weather equal climate again?
 
2013-07-26 07:02:22 AM

HaywoodJablonski: Because it's hot in the North Pole, does weather equal climate again?


Yes, because local weather is indicative of long-term trends.

Oh wait, no, it's the opposite of that.
 
2013-07-26 07:04:20 AM

Joce678: kqc7011: Which pole, magnetic or true?

That was my first thought as well.... but the North Pole Environmental Observatory turns out to be at true north, 90 degrees, top of the world.


There's a few more than two
 
2013-07-26 07:04:55 AM

Sgygus: You know what happens when the ice completely melts in your drink?


If i have a glass of salt water, then the level rises as the density of my salt water decreases due to the ice freshening it. After a while, the level rises more due to thermal expansion.

Why, what did you think would happen?
 
2013-07-26 07:10:49 AM

Shakin_Haitian: Sgygus: You know what happens when the ice completely melts in your drink?

If i have a glass of salt water, then the level rises as the density of my salt water decreases due to the ice freshening it. After a while, the level rises more due to thermal expansion.

Why, what did you think would happen?


Oh I forgot to mention, then the glass overflows because a huge slab of ice is melting into the glass from off a shelf.
 
2013-07-26 07:11:15 AM

Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.


Lightning causes forest fires.  You're still a knucklehead if you don't properly douse your camp fire.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.

Aw, geez, not this schitt again.
 
2013-07-26 07:21:41 AM

HAMMERTOE: As long as reproduction is a "right", with no corresponding "responsibilities", the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as anybody with  a functional set of genitals can pump out a "unit", and society has to collectively work incrementally harder to support that unit for them, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as it's beneficial to the Democrats to perpetuate this "lack of personal responsibility" social model, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as the Supreme Court keeps making the overwhelming majority of its decisions in favor of big businesses, the problem will do nothing but get worse.

In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.


Since we're politicizing the issue, let's not forget the party of "make women have a baby no matter what" rather than ensure that plentiful options are available to ensure that they have them less often.

etc etc
 
2013-07-26 07:24:19 AM
I am personally convinced global warming is occuring and that it is caused by man, however it should be be stated that  open bodies of water have been observed at, and near the north pole at different points over the last century.

In 1958 and 1959 an american submarine USS Skate found open pockets of water at the north pole in August. They also broke through ice that was less than 2 feet thick on separate occasions. Frequently the open bodies of water at, or near the north pole, would close up at night. In 1987 the HMS Superb, USS Billfish, and USS Sea Devil also found large bodies of open water at the north pole.

/supports a carbon tax
//supports significant reduction in burning of fossil fuels like coal and oil
 
2013-07-26 07:25:07 AM

HAMMERTOE: In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.


Not that I completely disagree - but that frames the problem entirely in terms of U.S. politics.  We aren't the largest greenhouse emitter, Europe isn't far behind us, and the all largest and fastest growing emitters are neither democrat nor republican.
 
2013-07-26 07:25:52 AM

ThrobblefootSpectre: HAMMERTOE: In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.

Not that I completely disagree - but that frames the problem entirely in terms of U.S. politics.  We aren't the largest greenhouse emitter, Europe isn't far behind us, and the all largest and fastest growing emitters are neither democrat nor republican.


The Chinese?
 
2013-07-26 07:27:24 AM

fungoo: If this is such a surprise. Why is there a BUOY there in the first place?


 That's what I was thinking. Buoys are put in water as navigational aids so there must have been water there to begin with.
 
2013-07-26 07:28:08 AM
I said the lakes freeze at night, but there is no night in summer artic, haha.....that's what I get for paraphrasing. In 1959 they said the open water froze after 2 hours. Guess I infered it was due to drop in temperatures caused by the coming of the night.
 
2013-07-26 07:28:20 AM
Their website shows that webcam buoy to be 3/4 or 5/6 the distance to Greenland from the pole, rather than at the Pole.  I'm still shiatting myself in terror but it isn't quite as horrifying yet.
 
2013-07-26 07:28:37 AM

pxlboy: The Chinese?


The human species.
 
2013-07-26 07:32:20 AM

ThrobblefootSpectre: pxlboy: The Chinese?

The human species.


They don't have slanted eyes, we have weird googly eyes.
 
2013-07-26 07:38:49 AM

cman: Poles melting doesn't have the same drama as a possible racist shooting.

News are gonna report what gets the eyeballs. They don't give two shiats about anything else but money.


Yay Capitalism!
 
2013-07-26 07:42:25 AM
www.sights-n-sounds.org
 
2013-07-26 07:47:29 AM

HAMMERTOE: .

In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.


What we need is a party what whores itself to lack of personal responsiblity and bases it's platform on corporate envy where they heavily tax the larger companies to support the smaller lazier companies who want to sit around section 8 warehouses all day and just watch the TVs they make.

/Mythdragon for president!
//Everybody gets one free gun and one free abortion.
 
2013-07-26 07:49:24 AM

miss diminutive: Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.

I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.


Still it is a more likely theory than that CO2 produced/released by humans magically doesn't absorb infrared radiation when it is in the Earth's atmosphere, with only natural CO2 doing so (otherwise the earth would be an iceball).
 
d23 [TotalFark]
2013-07-26 07:50:07 AM

HAMMERTOE: As long as reproduction is a "right", with no corresponding "responsibilities", the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as anybody with  a functional set of genitals can pump out a "unit", and society has to collectively work incrementally harder to support that unit for them, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as it's beneficial to the Democrats to perpetuate this "lack of personal responsibility" social model, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as the Supreme Court keeps making the overwhelming majority of its decisions in favor of big businesses, the problem will do nothing but get worse.



WHOOOAH there tiger...

farm1.staticflickr.com

One of the main tenants of conservative idiotdom is that every time you fark you have to produce a kid.
 
2013-07-26 07:51:36 AM
Wonder if this means I'll soon be the owner of beachfront property.
 
2013-07-26 07:52:13 AM

ongbok: AverageAmericanGuy: WippitGuud: gfid: Does Santa have flood insurance?  Will this affect the delivery of toys for Xmas or has that already been contracted out to China?

If Santa's Worshop is in Canada.... no, he doesn't.

Santa's Workshop is in San Bernardino off the 10 and 210.

Don't know about Santa's workshop, but Santa's village is in Dundee Illinois.


And his house is here:
www.menupix.com
 
2013-07-26 08:04:14 AM

fungoo: If this is such a surprise. Why is there a BUOY there in the first place?


That's left over from the last time the ice cap melted.
 
2013-07-26 08:10:46 AM
 Of course it should be noted that Conservatives have been saying this is not at all happening.
If they are so completely wrong on such an important issue then how wrong are they on other important issues?
 
2013-07-26 08:15:28 AM
Living in the PNW all this means is a more temperate climate and maybe less cruise ship traffic as the icebergs go away.   This morning I'll be going to my jerb in my CO2 spewing car and looking forward to a high temp in the low to mid 70's.
Happy Friday, everyone!
 
2013-07-26 08:20:03 AM

pxlboy: ThrobblefootSpectre: HAMMERTOE: In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.

Not that I completely disagree - but that frames the problem entirely in terms of U.S. politics.  We aren't the largest greenhouse emitter, Europe isn't far behind us, and the all largest and fastest growing emitters are neither democrat nor republican.

The Chinese?


"The Asians" would have been a more complete answer, but we'll give you half-points for picking the second most densely packed emerging country in that area. Three hundred million Americans couldn't match what India and China are doing to the atmosphere without deliberate, world-war-provoking effort.
 
2013-07-26 08:20:43 AM
Ha! Joke is on you, I get my ice from a freezer!
 
2013-07-26 08:20:55 AM

fungoo: If this is such a surprise. Why is there a BUOY there in the first place?


[img-notsureifserious]
 
2013-07-26 08:40:16 AM
Meanwhile, at the bottom of the planet:

arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu
 
2013-07-26 08:44:05 AM

dennysgod: Meanwhile, at the bottom of the planet:


How's the total ice mass doing?
 
2013-07-26 08:58:06 AM

Valiente: miss diminutive: Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.

I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.

You know who else believed in the hollow Earth theory?


Idiots.

But they did provide out-of-context quotations from polar explorers to prove their points.
You know who else used out-of-context quotations?
 
2013-07-26 08:59:18 AM
I've got to say, I was surprised at looking at the temperature data in the link on that page .  0.2, 0.3, 0.8 degrees C?  Wow.  Granted, I've never actually looked into polar temperature stats before but I'd always assumed that even at summer maximum it never gets even close to freezing, let alone above.
 
2013-07-26 09:03:19 AM

TheMysteriousStranger: You know who else used out-of-context quotations?


Rush?  Bill O'Reilly?  Glenn Beck?  Everyone on Fox News?

Hmmm... Even though the out-of-context quotes from these guys occur across a number of subjects, I seem to see a correlation between these people and a very specific opinion on global warming...
 
2013-07-26 09:11:33 AM

HAMMERTOE: As long as reproduction is a "right", with no corresponding "responsibilities", the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as anybody with  a functional set of genitals can pump out a "unit", and society has to collectively work incrementally harder to support that unit for them, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as it's beneficial to the Democrats to perpetuate this "lack of personal responsibility" social model, the problem will do nothing but get worse. As long as the Supreme Court keeps making the overwhelming majority of its decisions in favor of big businesses, the problem will do nothing but get worse.

In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.


Because it's perfectly fine for liberals to tell women what they can and can't do with their reproductive organs.

/it's only wrong when non-liberals do it
//it's always wrong, just like everything else non-liberals do
 
2013-07-26 09:23:04 AM

MythDragon: HAMMERTOE: .

In short, as long as our political system is comprised of only two parties, one which whores itself out to greedy commercial interests, and the other that bases its political platform upon class envy and avoidance of personal responsibility at all levels, our offspring are totally screwed.

What we need is a party what whores itself to lack of personal responsiblity and bases it's platform on corporate envy where they heavily tax the larger companies to support the smaller lazier companies who want to sit around section 8 warehouses all day and just watch the TVs they make.

/Mythdragon for president!
//Everybody gets one free gun and one free abortion.


I'd vote for it.
 
2013-07-26 09:24:28 AM
I'm a bit late to the party.


img90.imageshack.us
 
2013-07-26 09:37:03 AM

Mike_LowELL: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

> thinks global warming exists
> complains about ill-informed people


The best part about this, is that I have you favorited in the same green color.
 
2013-07-26 09:39:29 AM
I saw this video yesterday in a different article that also said that it had nothing to do with Global Warming because it is happening every summer. It was on an alarmist site no less.
 
2013-07-26 09:48:18 AM

Joce678: kqc7011: Which pole, magnetic or true?

That was my first thought as well.... but the North Pole Environmental Observatory turns out to be at true north, 90 degrees, top of the world.


I've always wondered if you went and sat right on the pole, would you start to feel dizzy?
 
2013-07-26 10:01:20 AM
whoa, it's like it is 1962 again before we had any climate change.

climate change is real
the climate is not the same all the time.
it changes over periods of time.
 
2013-07-26 10:10:47 AM
Global warming is nothing new. At one time Minnesota & the Dakota were a tropical forest, and other times covered in a mile thick ice sheet. The science guys have geologic proof of both. But the greenhouse gas effect is nothing more than man's arrogance, "we are so powerful we can change climate". Sorry science guys, the earth & sun are way better at climate change than you can ever hope to be.

And to the folks in Minn & the Dakotas, get ready for much better temps. The days of your pee freezing before it hits the ground are nearly over.
 
2013-07-26 10:39:14 AM
Yeah, people haven't changed anything that could be affecting this change (global light pollution):

www.lightpollution.it
 
2013-07-26 10:40:12 AM
cdn.crooksandliars.com

/Hot like the North Pole
 
2013-07-26 10:48:08 AM

ShamanGator: Global warming is nothing new. At one time Minnesota & the Dakota were a tropical forest, and other times covered in a mile thick ice sheet. The science guys have geologic proof of both. But the greenhouse gas effect is nothing more than man's arrogance, "we are so powerful we can change climate". Sorry science guys, the earth & sun are way better at climate change than you can ever hope to be.

And to the folks in Minn & the Dakotas, get ready for much better temps. The days of your pee freezing before it hits the ground are nearly over.


Oh thank goodness, we can all relax.

So, uh, since you're the expert on the subject - if the sun is in a cooling phase and pumping millions of tons of stuff from beneath the ground into the air isn't responsible either, what's causing it?
 
2013-07-26 10:55:27 AM
Oh thank goodness, we can all relax.
So, uh, since you're the expert on the subject - if the sun is in a cooling phase and pumping millions of tons of stuff from beneath the ground into the air isn't responsible either, what's causing it?


Personally I prefer the cow fart theory. But I do have a juvenile sense of humor.
 
2013-07-26 10:59:11 AM
Climate change exists. It always has. Since the beginning of time. Do we have an effect on it? Most likely. Are we the entire cause of it? Most certainly not. Everyone stop arguing, neither side is 100% right.
 
2013-07-26 11:01:18 AM
Something missing from that picture.

i.imgur.com
 
2013-07-26 11:08:09 AM

miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.


This is especially humerous because I have you farkied in green (my trolls are gray).
 
2013-07-26 11:20:35 AM
Now if only someone could post some graphs to show me why and why not this is related to global warming.  That would be helpful.

/loves graphs
 
2013-07-26 11:24:27 AM
Now the Warlord will need a sub to get in & out of Skartaris...
 
2013-07-26 11:41:15 AM

tenpoundsofcheese: whoa, it's like it is 1962 again before we had any climate change.

climate change is real
the climate is not the same all the time.
it changes over periods of time.


So wait...

It was frozen for 50 million years
It thawed for the first time in 1962
And now it is thawing every year, and staying ice free for longer each year.

Uh....

... where was I going with this?
 
2013-07-26 11:44:12 AM

HalfOffOffer: Now if only someone could post some graphs to show me why and why not this is related to global warming.  That would be helpful.

/loves graphs


media.tumblr.com
 
2013-07-26 11:47:19 AM
"Climate is what we expect;
 Weather is what we get."

        - Mark Twain
 
2013-07-26 11:53:51 AM
 
2013-07-26 12:01:46 PM
So, how's the south pole coming along?
 
2013-07-26 12:04:06 PM

WippitGuud: tenpoundsofcheese: whoa, it's like it is 1962 again before we had any climate change.

climate change is real
the climate is not the same all the time.
it changes over periods of time.

So wait...

It was frozen for 50 million years
It thawed for the first time in 1962


I don't know that 1962 was the first time.
Also, that was in the middle of the COLD war so for it to have thawed then the climate must have been really much warmer than it is now.


And now it is thawing every year, and staying ice free for longer each year.

Uh....

... where was I going with this?
 
2013-07-26 12:04:49 PM

netgamer7k: So, how's the south pole coming along?


Right now, I assume dark and frozen, and in spots covered with a bunch of male emperor penguins.
 
2013-07-26 12:06:13 PM

RyanAntiHero: Climate change exists. It always has. Since the beginning of time. Do we have an effect on it? Most likely. Are we the entire cause of it? Most certainly not. Everyone stop arguing, neither side is 100% right.


One other question, has anyone demonstrated that a change in the climate is actually bad on an overall basis?  Are we currently at the optimal climate for the human race and any change is bad?
 
2013-07-26 12:07:56 PM
tenpoundsofcheese:
I don't know that 1962 was the first time.
Also, that was in the middle of the COLD war so for it to have thawed then the climate must have been really much warmer than it is now.


Wait... Cold war?
So, are those US or Russian subs?

Cause if they're US, the temperature would have been in Fahrenheit, so it would've seemed warmer.
 
2013-07-26 12:09:31 PM

Mike_LowELL: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

> thinks global warming exists
> complains about ill-informed people


You're going to need a lot more green if you want to identify everyone on Fark who believes that global warming exists.

I believe it and I just don't give a shiat. Rich people are the only ones who can afford to build 6 inches above the floodplain on the coast. Poor people live inland or rent near the coast and just won't renew their leases.

People can deny it right up until they're precious million-dollar homes are permanently flooded.
 
2013-07-26 12:09:42 PM

miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.


Right you are  Sorry to post  My views are not PC (yes, that's Antarctic) because you know, Inclusive
 
2013-07-26 12:13:04 PM

tenpoundsofcheese: RyanAntiHero: Climate change exists. It always has. Since the beginning of time. Do we have an effect on it? Most likely. Are we the entire cause of it? Most certainly not. Everyone stop arguing, neither side is 100% right.

One other question, has anyone demonstrated that a change in the climate is actually bad on an overall basis?  Are we currently at the optimal climate for the human race and any change is bad?


I like it warmer.
But I'm in Canada. Winter sucks.
 
2013-07-26 12:17:07 PM

tenpoundsofcheese: RyanAntiHero: Climate change exists. It always has. Since the beginning of time. Do we have an effect on it? Most likely. Are we the entire cause of it? Most certainly not. Everyone stop arguing, neither side is 100% right.

One other question, has anyone demonstrated that a change in the climate is actually bad on an overall basis?  Are we currently at the optimal climate for the human race and any change is bad?

You're right, these are good changes. Idiot.
http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/03/21/the-seven-states-run nin g-out-of-water/

/I know you're a troll
// Still an idiot.
 
2013-07-26 12:18:44 PM
i.imgur.com
Watch  http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/  for daily updates of the Arctic sea ice extent. Or if you prefer raw data, there are near-real-time satellite images at http://lance-modis.eosdis.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/imagery/realtime.cgi .
 
2013-07-26 12:19:44 PM
Pangea:People can deny it right up until they're precious million-dollar homes are permanently flooded.

There are probably tens of millions of poor people in other countries that are poor and live near the coast. I was on a roll though.
 
2013-07-26 12:20:43 PM
i don't see how you could think this is doing anything to the earth
www.personal.psu.edu
 
2013-07-26 12:23:11 PM

pacified: i don't see how you could think this is doing anything to the earth
[www.personal.psu.edu image 400x224]


It's not. The earth is just fine. The hairless apes on it are going to have a bad time.
 
2013-07-26 12:26:01 PM

pacified: i don't see how you could think this is doing anything to the earth
[www.personal.psu.edu image 400x224]


Silly Wabbit.  Smog can't melt ice!!!!
Right??
 
2013-07-26 12:30:03 PM

miss diminutive: I have the power to summon green text? Awesome.


You are blessed with the power of 4chan, my good ma'am.  Use this power wisely, and only when you are in mortal danger.

star_topology: The best part about this, is that I have you favorited in the same green color.


I was hoping more people would catch on to the joke, but I guess actually a sign of good health that they didn't.

Pangea: People can deny it right up until they're precious million-dollar homes are permanently flooded.


> Complains people are delusional
> Leans liberal
 
2013-07-26 12:45:02 PM

WippitGuud: netgamer7k: So, how's the south pole coming along?

Right now, I assume dark and frozen, and in spots covered with a bunch of male emperor penguins.


Never, ever, drop your egg.
 
2013-07-26 01:01:13 PM
Pangea: People can deny it right up until they're precious million-dollar homes are permanently flooded.

> Complains people are delusional
> Leans liberal


Because conservatives are the pinnacle of lucid thought.

/idiot
 
2013-07-26 01:24:23 PM
How is this related to TimeCube?
 
2013-07-26 01:27:11 PM
I'll be dead before things start getting really bad. Your poor kids though...
 
2013-07-26 01:51:04 PM

netgamer7k: So, how's the south pole coming along?


i1.ytimg.com
 
2013-07-26 01:51:44 PM

TheMysteriousStranger: Valiente: miss diminutive: Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.

I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.

You know who else believed in the hollow Earth theory?

Idiots.

But they did provide out-of-context quotations from polar explorers to prove their points.
You know who else used out-of-context quotations?


Any Atheist or pagan who tried to quote the Bible EVER.
 
2013-07-26 02:00:59 PM

washington-babylon: TheMysteriousStranger: Valiente: miss diminutive: Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.

I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.

You know who else believed in the hollow Earth theory?

Idiots.

But they did provide out-of-context quotations from polar explorers to prove their points.
You know who else used out-of-context quotations?

Any Atheist or pagan who tried to quote the Bible EVER.


I'd get off that pulpit if I were you. Seems even christians can't seem to get their story straight. Remind me, how many different flavors are there now?
 
2013-07-26 02:15:16 PM

Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.


Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you're right. That's like someone who's two hundred pounds overweight because they have a feeding fetish saying they don't know why they're fat because we don't know how many people have hypothyroidism (which, apparently, is really common and underdiagnosed). That may be the case, but  you know why you're personally fat, and you know how to fix it.

At this stage, it doesn't matter how other planets warm\cool. What matters is that  our planet is being warmed unduly by a  specific cause. If there's another factor, we'll find it and deal with it later, but there's no excuse for ignoring the factors we  do know about.
 
2013-07-26 02:30:30 PM
The polar bears are brown! What did you do?!
 
2013-07-26 02:57:44 PM

ShamanGator: Global warming is nothing new. At one time Minnesota & the Dakota were a tropical forest, and other times covered in a mile thick ice sheet. The science guys have geologic proof of both. But the greenhouse gas effect is nothing more than man's arrogance, "we are so powerful we can change climate". Sorry science guys, the earth & sun are way better at climate change than you can ever hope to be.

And to the folks in Minn & the Dakotas, get ready for much better temps. The days of your pee freezing before it hits the ground are nearly over.


CFCs were heating the earth at an increasing rate until 1998 when they were almost outright banned, they're decaying now and we'll be starting to cool soon.

Man DID cause "global warming" but we already fixed it.
 
2013-07-26 03:01:06 PM

PsiChick: Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you're right. That's like someone who's two hundred pounds overweight because they have a feeding fetish saying they don't know why they're fat because we don't know how many people have hypothyroidism (which, apparently, is really common and underdiagnosed). That may be the case, but  you know why you're personally fat, and you know how to fix it.

At this stage, it doesn't matter how other planets warm\cool. What matters is that  our planet is being warmed unduly by a  specific cause. If there's another factor, we'll find it and deal with it later, but there's no excuse for ignoring the factors we  do know about.


What specific cause are you referring to?
How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate?
 
2013-07-26 03:07:33 PM

tenpoundsofcheese: PsiChick: Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you're right. That's like someone who's two hundred pounds overweight because they have a feeding fetish saying they don't know why they're fat because we don't know how many people have hypothyroidism (which, apparently, is really common and underdiagnosed). That may be the case, but  you know why you're personally fat, and you know how to fix it.

At this stage, it doesn't matter how other planets warm\cool. What matters is that  our planet is being warmed unduly by a  specific cause. If there's another factor, we'll find it and deal with it later, but there's no excuse for ignoring the factors we  do know about.

What specific cause are you referring to?
How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate?


How about one where we don't have most of our southern and western states fighting over water? Is that good for ya?

/back under your bridge
//can you say desertification?
 
2013-07-26 03:23:34 PM

tenpoundsofcheese: At this stage, it doesn't matter how other planets warm\cool. What matters is that  our planet is being warmed unduly by a  specific cause. If there's another factor, we'll find it and deal with it later, but there's no excuse for ignoring the factors we  do know about.

What specific cause are you referring to?
How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate?


...I'm so sorry, I keep forgetting not every high school teaches basic science like climate change. Let me explain it for you (feel free to go Google once I've given you the basics).

We're pumping a  lot of various chemicals into the atmosphere. One of them, carbon dioxide, is thicker than other molecules (refresher: not all molecules are the same size), and tends to act like a layer of insulation. Well, over the years we've put so much of that in the atmosphere that we've basically turned Earth into a beer cooler. Now, normally Earth follows a cycle of warming and cooling (the Ice Ages, for example, were cooling periods), and there's jack shiat we can do about that. However, this isn't just a cycle of warming--this is  too hot for a cycle. Think of it like Earth having bipolar. Normally, Earth's 'mania', or hot phase, is just running around giggling in circles for an hour. Well, now Earth's hallucinating.

What that means is that there will be a fark-ton of natural disasters, along the lines of weather patterns changing (the recent spate of tornados had some  weird-ass wind patterns, for example), or, from TFA, the north pole melting and releasing more water into the oceans, which floods any coastal cities. We can't change Earth's 'bipolar' cycles--but that doesn't mean we need to trigger heat waves beyond what Earth is used to.

/You might want to call up your local science teacher, they can probably give you more detail than me.
 
2013-07-26 03:27:15 PM
So the Ice Age is finally finishing off. Pretty soon we will all being wearing sandals and drinking pina coladas.
 
2013-07-26 03:27:37 PM

prjindigo: CFCs were heating the earth at an increasing rate until 1998 when they were almost outright banned, they're decaying now and we'll be starting to cool soon.

Man DID cause "global warming" but we already fixed it.


CFCs were banned due to their ozone-depleting effect, and their ozone-safe HFC replacements are still strong greenhouse gases.
 
2013-07-26 03:40:33 PM
From another article on this subject:

This type of melt isn't so unusual during the summer season, however.

"I have seen much more extensive ponding," James Morison, the principal investigator for the North Pole Environmental Observatory told . "Because we use wide angle lenses the melt pond looks much bigger than it is."

There is a second webcam pointed at the pole, which looks far less dire than the first.


This is why people don't take Global Warming seriously. This guy plays it off like "Nothing to see here. Move along." And his title lends his opinion credibility to the common reader.
 
2013-07-26 05:26:03 PM

Luse: tenpoundsofcheese: PsiChick: Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you're right. That's like someone who's two hundred pounds overweight because they have a feeding fetish saying they don't know why they're fat because we don't know how many people have hypothyroidism (which, apparently, is really common and underdiagnosed). That may be the case, but  you know why you're personally fat, and you know how to fix it.

At this stage, it doesn't matter how other planets warm\cool. What matters is that  our planet is being warmed unduly by a  specific cause. If there's another factor, we'll find it and deal with it later, but there's no excuse for ignoring the factors we  do know about.

What specific cause are you referring to?
How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate?

How about one where we don't have most of our southern and western states fighting over water? Is that good for ya?


You mean like they have been fighting for water since 1910?

/back under your bridge - maybe you can go there with a history book.
 
2013-07-26 05:30:30 PM

PsiChick: tenpoundsofcheese: At this stage, it doesn't matter how other planets warm\cool. What matters is that  our planet is being warmed unduly by a  specific cause. If there's another factor, we'll find it and deal with it later, but there's no excuse for ignoring the factors we  do know about.

What specific cause are you referring to?
How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate?

...I'm so sorry, I keep forgetting not every high school teaches basic science like climate change. Let me explain it for you (feel free to go Google once I've given you the basics).

We're pumping a  lot of various chemicals into the atmosphere. One of them, carbon dioxide, is thicker than other molecules (refresher: not all molecules are the same size), and tends to act like a layer of insulation. Well, over the years we've put so much of that in the atmosphere that we've basically turned Earth into a beer cooler. Now, normally Earth follows a cycle of warming and cooling (the Ice Ages, for example, were cooling periods), and there's jack shiat we can do about that. However, this isn't just a cycle of warming--this is  too hot for a cycle. Think of it like Earth having bipolar. Normally, Earth's 'mania', or hot phase, is just running around giggling in circles for an hour. Well, now Earth's hallucinating.

What that means is that there will be a fark-ton of natural disasters, along the lines of weather patterns changing (the recent spate of tornados had some  weird-ass wind patterns, for example), or, from TFA, the north pole melting and releasing more water into the oceans, which floods any coastal cities. We can't change Earth's 'bipolar' cycles--but that doesn't mean we need to trigger heat waves beyond what Earth is used to.

/You might want to call up your local science teacher, they can probably give you more deta ...


You still didn't answer the questions I asked:

"How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate?
"

As for you other points, you mentioned this was due to all the CO2 we have been pumping in the air but neglect to acknowledge that the same ponding, even worse, was shown in 1962.

Secondly, do you understand that water vapor is a far more prevalent and "thicker" than CO2?   Why aren't you whining about the impact of water vapor?  Why just CO2?
 
2013-07-26 05:34:18 PM

Luse: washington-babylon: TheMysteriousStranger: Valiente: miss diminutive: Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.

I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.

You know who else believed in the hollow Earth theory?

Idiots.

But they did provide out-of-context quotations from polar explorers to prove their points.
You know who else used out-of-context quotations?

Any Atheist or pagan who tried to quote the Bible EVER.

I'd get off that pulpit if I were you. Seems even christians can't seem to get their story straight. Remind me, how many different flavors are there now?


You mind giving my bait back? You kinda swallowed it before I could catch any really decent fish...
 
2013-07-26 05:57:08 PM

tenpoundsofcheese: /You might want to call up your local science teacher, they can probably give you more deta ...

You still didn't answer the questions I asked:

"How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate? "

As for you other points, you mentioned this was due to all the CO2 we have been pumping in the air but neglect to acknowledge that the same ponding, even worse, was shown in 1962.

Secondly, do you understand that water vapor is a far more prevalent and "thicker" than CO2?   Why aren't you whining about the impact of water vapor?  Why just CO2?


A) 90-100%.

B) Exactly the same as it has been for the past...oh, two hundred years or thereabouts. That will not happen. In lieu of that, Earth's pre-existing cycles are safest.

C) Water vapor has not been shown to cause greenhouse effect. CO2 has. If you want to talk about 'ponding'--citation, please.
 
2013-07-26 06:10:00 PM

tenpoundsofcheese: Luse: tenpoundsofcheese: PsiChick: Kevin72: I do not deny this global warming. I do not deny too much carbon dioxide is bad and tree deforestation is worse.

My issue is with the greenhouse gas theory. It does not explain global warming on other planets. Global warming could also be caused by changes in the sun's magnetosphere becoming weaker, the sun becoming quadripolar, and other cosmic forces that we earthlycentric people are not fully knowledgeable of.

Galileo seeing "ears around Saturn" and moons belonging to Jupiter was a mere 400 years ago, but back then they were convinced that the earth was the center and end all and be all of the universe and put Galileo on trial for saying that the earth moved.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, you're right. That's like someone who's two hundred pounds overweight because they have a feeding fetish saying they don't know why they're fat because we don't know how many people have hypothyroidism (which, apparently, is really common and underdiagnosed). That may be the case, but  you know why you're personally fat, and you know how to fix it.

At this stage, it doesn't matter how other planets warm\cool. What matters is that  our planet is being warmed unduly by a  specific cause. If there's another factor, we'll find it and deal with it later, but there's no excuse for ignoring the factors we  do know about.

What specific cause are you referring to?
How much of the warming (it is warming now right, not climate change) is due to that cause?
Are we at the optimal climate right now or would we be better off with more warming or more cooling?  What is the ideal climate?

How about one where we don't have most of our southern and western states fighting over water? Is that good for ya?

You mean like they have been fighting for water since 1910?

/back under your bridge - maybe you can go there with a history book.


I did and my book had some info about the Northwest Passage.

/your game is off
//seriously, back under your bridge
 
2013-07-26 06:11:02 PM

washington-babylon: Luse: washington-babylon: TheMysteriousStranger: Valiente: miss diminutive: Because People in power are Stupid: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.

If that's the north pole then where is the hole?

[4.bp.blogspot.com image 500x350]

Hollow earther (as climate change denial) is the best I could come up with on short notice.

I honestly had never heard of the hollow Earth theory before. Probably because it's batshiat insane, but still...I learned something new today.

You know who else believed in the hollow Earth theory?

Idiots.

But they did provide out-of-context quotations from polar explorers to prove their points.
You know who else used out-of-context quotations?

Any Atheist or pagan who tried to quote the Bible EVER.

I'd get off that pulpit if I were you. Seems even christians can't seem to get their story straight. Remind me, how many different flavors are there now?

You mind giving my bait back? You kinda swallowed it before I could catch any really decent fish...


I'm working on a new intertube persona, troll slayer!
 
2013-07-26 08:56:54 PM

miss diminutive:

What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.
When you're right, you're right.  Let me fix that for you...
 
2013-07-26 09:29:05 PM

GeneralJim: miss diminutive: What this thread needs is some obnoxious, ill-informed, green text to put this whole thing into perspective.When you're right, you're right.  Let me fix that for you...


So do you Fark on a +12h time or something? Why do you always green it up at the end?
 
2013-07-26 11:34:37 PM

devilEther: I'll be dead before things start getting really bad. Your poor kids though...




When I was a little boy, my father would get drunk, and have long rambling monologs about the horrible dystopian future he saw coming. He would regularly pause and tell my brother and me "I won't live to see it, but you boys will." Just one of many reasons I was a very depressed child.
 
2013-07-27 09:36:55 AM

Kevin72: back then they were convinced that the earth was the center


Pythagorus wants a word with you ...
and he had the math you might appreciate

Something about a square, maybe a root, and some other stuff christian morons dont believe in

// The world does not revolve around christian dogma we knew this BEFORE those assholes blasphemed their own biblical tetxts
// newsflash the world is round and shiat happens, ask columbus - oh wait, he got lost and arrested, like the criminal piece of shiat he was
 
2013-07-27 09:47:11 AM

washington-babylon: You mind giving my bait back? You kinda swallowed it before I could catch any really decent fish...


has that ever worked ?

Tried to take the bait out of a barracuda once, almost took my hand off (tasted awful but I enjoyed smashing its brains to pulp before I ripped its heart out and slashed the gills)

crap fish took half of a red snapper.... I beat its head in with a branch I took from a holy tree... dropped by the tree's choice to the ground (Im a tree hugger, I would not harm a tree)
 
Displayed 143 of 143 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report