If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Yahoo)   Women outraged by sexist new Samsung commercial. And by women, I mean men   (shine.yahoo.com) divider line 260
    More: Stupid, Samsung, sexisms, Adweek  
•       •       •

16927 clicks; posted to Main » on 23 May 2013 at 6:55 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



260 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | » | Last | Show all
 
2013-05-23 07:21:22 PM
We're all better at different things, for instance my wife can't build a piece of furniture out of a pile of rough sawn lumber and I can't complain that it takes three weeks to do it.
 
2013-05-23 07:22:16 PM
I would totally re-braid that woman's hair... or something
 
2013-05-23 07:23:06 PM
www.massager-machines-and-more.com

Still no complaints about the Hitatchi commercial.
 
2013-05-23 07:23:37 PM

Anayalator: Um...


So did you happen to read beyond the line you bolded there? If you had, you might come to greater understanding of another's point of view.
 
2013-05-23 07:24:01 PM

NathanAllen: We're all better at different things, for instance my wife can't build a piece of furniture out of a pile of rough sawn lumber and I can't complain that it takes three weeks to do it.


She can complain for 3 weeks, but I can ignore the pile of dishes in the sink for a month and a half.

/Paper towels make wonderful dishes
//all my liquid intake can come out of a can or bottle. no glasses needed.
///And I've got a swiss army knife I can use as utensils
 
2013-05-23 07:24:20 PM
Having a hard time being outraged since Im not a metrosexual pussy. Y'all have fun though, or whatever it is you pansies do instead of fun.
 
2013-05-23 07:24:55 PM
Outraged dudes need to get the sand out of their vajayjays.
 
2013-05-23 07:25:20 PM

SearchN: Gail Dines, an expert on sexist images in the media and a professor of sociology and women's studies at Wheelock College in Boston, agrees. "It's not funny because it normalizes masculine behavior and makes a joke of it," she told Yahoo! Shine in a phone interview. "It's the reality of many women's lives, who get dinner ready, take care of the children, help with homework and do the housework, while the husbands are, in fact, sloth-like."

She almost made it through without slipping and showing the man hate card. So close. Maybe next time.


Womens studies. And sociology.

hating men goes without saying.

feminism. He girls lets stick it to the men because life was harder for our grandparents.
 
2013-05-23 07:25:27 PM
It's a groaner.
 
2013-05-23 07:26:09 PM

bugontherug: Anayalator: Um...

So did you happen to read beyond the line you bolded there? If you had, you might come to greater understanding of another's point of view.


How is a greater under understanding of the thought process of a retarded person relevant to the discussion.

/sexism is discrimination based on your gender. Not having something someone else wants.
 
2013-05-23 07:27:22 PM
Why is it always the crappy media that causes 'controversy'?


The question whether the commercial is sexist of not, seems sort of secondary to me, considering it is a just a pretty dull and boring commercial in the first place.
 
2013-05-23 07:27:22 PM

Mugato: Quasar: A relief? Every effing commercial involving a husband/wife dynamic portrays the husband as a clueless retard and the wife as the one who sighs and has to fix everything using X product.

That's also true of most sitcoms.


Also the wife has to be svelte and gorgeous and the husband has to be a fat schlub.
 
2013-05-23 07:28:19 PM

mikaloyd: Having a hard time being outraged since Im not a metrosexual pussy. Y'all have fun though, or whatever it is you pansies do instead of fun.


fark YEAH! LETS GET DRUNK AND WATCH RACE CARS! FERRARI SUCKS! GO FORCE INDIA!

/wat? Who wants to root for redbull when you already know they're going to win?
 
2013-05-23 07:28:57 PM

fusillade762: Also the wife has to be svelte and gorgeous and the husband has to be a fat schlub.


queens.brownstoner.com
 
2013-05-23 07:29:19 PM

The Flexecutioner: well, she married the guy on the couch, not the one in her dream.  he farts when he wants to and eats fried chicken in sweatpants on a couch while watching an awesome tv while she wears a business suit presumably on her way somewhere important just after walking out of the kitchen.  who's the stupid one?


This.

My mother taught me that to treat or talk about one's spouse badly only made one look ignorant.

The ad is ignorant.
 
2013-05-23 07:29:54 PM

JonBuck: Mugato: Quasar: A relief? Every effing commercial involving a husband/wife dynamic portrays the husband as a clueless retard and the wife as the one who sighs and has to fix everything using X product.

That's also true of most sitcoms.

Thanks a lot, Tim Allen.


Ray Romano took that to another level.
 
2013-05-23 07:30:12 PM
Replace the husband with a wife, now think about the commercial.  if it seems sexist, then it is.
 
2013-05-23 07:30:20 PM
 
2013-05-23 07:30:42 PM

ForeverTangent: Why is it always the crappy media that causes 'controversy'?


Controversy drives page views. Page views drive ad-revenue.  ad-revenue pays writers.

/only crappy media has to resort to controversy to get viewership.
//See CNN MSNBC ABC FOX et:al
 
2013-05-23 07:31:24 PM

balki1867: fusillade762: Also the wife has to be svelte and gorgeous and the husband has to be a fat schlub.


Good example.

except she's also become quite hefty latley
 
2013-05-23 07:31:42 PM

balki1867: fusillade762: Also the wife has to be svelte and gorgeous and the husband has to be a fat schlub.

[queens.brownstoner.com image 497x373]


That's actually irritating to women. You see "average" or "Below average"  male characters in tv and movies much more frequently than female ones. If the female is "less than" she's usually some older lady/crackpot.
 
2013-05-23 07:33:47 PM
The commercial is funny.  Any man that I can respect would chuckle.  The rest can fark off.

/checks pants...
//Yep, man.
 
2013-05-23 07:33:57 PM

MutantMotherMouse: y mother taught me that to treat or talk about one's spouse badly only made one look ignorant.

The ad is ignorant.


Your mate is considered a reflection of you.  If you choose poorly, it says poor things about you.

/My wife scared away all my friends :(
 
2013-05-23 07:34:09 PM

SplittingAces: Ray Romano took that to another level.


In fairness, that's the only show where he's actually the normal one and everyone around him is batshiat crazy.
 
2013-05-23 07:35:26 PM
I don't think it's sexist. It merely highlights how some women are always trying "fix" their men to their own unrealistic expectations.

*innocent look*
 
2013-05-23 07:35:27 PM

teenage mutant ninja rapist: Good example.

except she's also become quite hefty latley


Good point, better example:

1.bp.blogspot.com
 
2013-05-23 07:35:59 PM
I think  Samsung miscalculated here.  Women make about 80-85% of U. S. household purchase decisions, but smart TV appliances are likely in the other 15% when there's a man in the household.
 
2013-05-23 07:37:33 PM

illannoyin: [www.massager-machines-and-more.com image 820x666]

Still no complaints about the Hitatchi commercial.


She's doing it right.  Someone taught her Lesson 34 of Sinanju.
 
2013-05-23 07:37:51 PM

aerojockey: This commercial totally doesn't offend me.

I seem to recall it being common for commericials to have a husband finding a mute button for his wife.


Shut up and take my money!
 
2013-05-23 07:39:11 PM

BarkingUnicorn: I think  Samsung miscalculated here.  Women make about 80-85% of U. S. household purchase decisions, but smart TV appliances are likely in the other 15% when there's a man in the household.


I think the calculated brilliantly.  They've planted the idea in heads of women that buying their TV, with their new technology, will make their whole lives better.

So then when the dumb broad goes into a store to buy a TV, even a teenaged boy can swindle her into buying several hundred dollars worth of features she will never even use.

/Take that! Manocentric world!
 
2013-05-23 07:39:26 PM
It is sexist, of course.  Very.  Insulting, pathetic and utterly inexusable.  Now, repeat after me, "That's DIFFERENT."  Meh.
 
2013-05-23 07:39:54 PM

BarkingUnicorn: I think  Samsung miscalculated here.  Women make about 80-85% of U. S. household purchase decisions, but smart TV appliances are likely in the other 15% when there's a man in the household.


I think they assumed guys would find it amusing (after all, who doesn't like a fart joke, amirite?). Although I'm surprised so many men have such a low threshold for offense. Seriously, dudes, grow a pair.
 
2013-05-23 07:40:02 PM

The Flexecutioner: well, she married the guy on the couch, not the one in her dream.  he farts when he wants to and eats fried chicken in sweatpants on a couch while watching an awesome tv while she wears a business suit presumably on her way somewhere important just after walking out of the kitchen.  who's the stupid one?


But... she can change him!
What is this ad, if not the idealization of that concept?
 
2013-05-23 07:41:05 PM
Gail Dines needs to get her head out of the 20th century and join the rest of us in the 21st.
 
2013-05-23 07:41:13 PM

fusillade762: Mugato: Quasar: A relief? Every effing commercial involving a husband/wife dynamic portrays the husband as a clueless retard and the wife as the one who sighs and has to fix everything using X product.

That's also true of most sitcoms.

Also the wife has to be svelte and gorgeous and the husband has to be a fat schlub.


Women don't want to watch other women on TV who have it better than them, so the husband on shows is always a loser in some way, usually fat and/or stupid.  Men want to watch hot women, so the wife is always hot.
 
2013-05-23 07:41:29 PM
I can't find it in me to be outraged by ONE variety of male stereotype in media. Overall, we still have it pretty sweet. Avoid the one negative portrayal and you'll see men as executives, tough guys, cowboys, hard workers, good fathers, pretty much anything they want.

Meanwhile, young female eye candy is still a dime a dozen in the very same media. So if you're a (straight) male, you've really got to be a whiny asshole to complain.
 
2013-05-23 07:41:36 PM

Brostorm: Replace the husband with a wife, now think about the commercial.  if it seems sexist, then it is.


"Sexist" isn't the right word for it; "demeaning" is.  One of women's biggest complaints about advertising is that advertisers don't understand what motivates women.  How many women are motivated to buy something because its maker portrays their husbands as idiots and them as smug manipulators?
 
2013-05-23 07:44:13 PM
I suspect that no men were actually angered by this commercial.
 
2013-05-23 07:44:41 PM

Brostorm: Replace the husband with a wife, now think about the commercial.  if it seems sexist, then it is.


Naaw - I don't want a woman to play a metal flute while polishing furniture. Plug that upgrade in, hand her some kneepads, and teach her how to hum in middle "C."

Oh - reality hits as she biatches about the bills, and how we never go anywhere.

There's your actual parity for a commercial like that; Blake's fantasy of lineaments of satisfied desire.

Film it and run it at your risk.
 
2013-05-23 07:44:56 PM

Mitt Romneys Tax Return: BarkingUnicorn: I think  Samsung miscalculated here.  Women make about 80-85% of U. S. household purchase decisions, but smart TV appliances are likely in the other 15% when there's a man in the household.

I think they assumed guys would find it amusing (after all, who doesn't like a fart joke, amirite?). Although I'm surprised so many men have such a low threshold for offense. Seriously, dudes, grow a pair.


Yeah, and women should also learn to take a joke, especially about their tiny, simple brains.
 
2013-05-23 07:45:22 PM

fluffy2097: bugontherug: Anayalator: Um...

So did you happen to read beyond the line you bolded there? If you had, you might come to greater understanding of another's point of view.

How is a greater under understanding of the thought process of a retarded person relevant to the discussion.

/sexism is discrimination based on your gender. Not having something someone else wants.


I don't agree with her definition either--nor yours. But I won't call either of you retarded. Rather, I'll try to encapsulate what's really going on in ways that are fair to both points of view.

1) What really upsets her in the racism/sexism context is white men drawing false moral equivalences between racism by blacks against whites and sexism by women against men. Yes, black people can be racially prejudiced, and women can be sex-prejudiced. But she feels in both contexts that black on white racism/female on male sexism aren't real social problems. Blacks and women have less power to hurt whites/men because of their prejudices than whites/men have to hurt blacks/women because of theirs.

For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with her in the racism context. And 20 years ago I might have agreed with her in the sexism context too.

2) You've confused sexism with sex discrimination. But that's beside the point. What really has you upset is that in your life, you've felt unfairly attacked because either you are white, you are male, or both. You've experienced immense pressure in your life to overcome race and sex based judgments, and you think others should be held to the same standard. So when this professor comes along and says blacks can't be racist, and women can't be sexist, it's an affront to your sense of equity.

I think she's linguistically incorrect. I think her words demonstrate a misunderstanding of linguistics. Words mean what people use them to mean. And people use racism and sexism to describe prejudice based on race and sex, not merely majoritarian prejudice.

But I also think she has a point you can learn from, if you'll take a moment to try to consider the world from a different perspective.
 
2013-05-23 07:45:46 PM
I'm offended by that crazy women's comments at the end, she makes gender rights look crazy because she is crazy.
 
2013-05-23 07:46:32 PM

fluffy2097: miscalculated


 il m

acsculated
 
2013-05-23 07:48:00 PM

plushpuppy: I'm offended by that crazy women's comments at the end, she makes gender rights look crazy because she is crazy.


Like sand through the hourglass figures of their youth, so are the Cary-crays of our lives.
 
2013-05-23 07:48:36 PM

fluffy2097: BarkingUnicorn: I think  Samsung miscalculated here.  Women make about 80-85% of U. S. household purchase decisions, but smart TV appliances are likely in the other 15% when there's a man in the household.

I think the calculated brilliantly.  They've planted the idea in heads of women that buying their TV, with their new technology, will make their whole lives better.


The message is absurd:  a man's going to quit watching TV when you buy him a cool new TV gadget.  Even blondes would go, "AYFKM?" at that one.
 
2013-05-23 07:48:51 PM

The Flexecutioner: well, she married the guy on the couch, not the one in her dream.  he farts when he wants to and eats fried chicken in sweatpants on a couch while watching an awesome tv while she wears a business suit presumably on her way somewhere important just after walking out of the kitchen.  who's the stupid one?


crap, you just described my life till 2012.
 
2013-05-23 07:49:44 PM
"OMG we must keep everybody focused on gender roles and OPPRESSION!"

"Why's that?"

"Cause it's a f*cking huge business and I have a garage full of Hanes T's with sarcastic feminist slogans on them."

"I see."
 
2013-05-23 07:49:49 PM

BarkingUnicorn: Mitt Romneys Tax Return: BarkingUnicorn: I think  Samsung miscalculated here.  Women make about 80-85% of U. S. household purchase decisions, but smart TV appliances are likely in the other 15% when there's a man in the household.

I think they assumed guys would find it amusing (after all, who doesn't like a fart joke, amirite?). Although I'm surprised so many men have such a low threshold for offense. Seriously, dudes, grow a pair.

Yeah, and women should also learn to take a joke, especially about their tiny, simple brains.


Am I supposed to be offended by your response?
 
2013-05-23 07:50:37 PM

bugontherug: fluffy2097: bugontherug: Anayalator: Um...

So did you happen to read beyond the line you bolded there? If you had, you might come to greater understanding of another's point of view.

How is a greater under understanding of the thought process of a retarded person relevant to the discussion.

/sexism is discrimination based on your gender. Not having something someone else wants.

I don't agree with her definition either--nor yours. But I won't call either of you retarded. Rather, I'll try to encapsulate what's really going on in ways that are fair to both points of view.

1) What really upsets her in the racism/sexism context is white men drawing false moral equivalences between racism by blacks against whites and sexism by women against men. Yes, black people can be racially prejudiced, and women can be sex-prejudiced. But she feels in both contexts that black on white racism/female on male sexism aren't real social problems. Blacks and women have less power to hurt whites/men because of their prejudices than whites/men have to hurt blacks/women because of theirs.

For what it's worth, I absolutely agree with her in the racism context. And 20 years ago I might have agreed with her in the sexism context too.

2) You've confused sexism with sex discrimination. But that's beside the point. What really has you upset is that in your life, you've felt unfairly attacked because either you are white, you are male, or both. You've experienced immense pressure in your life to overcome race and sex based judgments, and you think others should be held to the same standard. So when this professor comes along and says blacks can't be racist, and women can't be sexist, it's an affront to your sense of equity.

I think she's linguistically incorrect. I think her words demonstrate a misunderstanding of linguistics. Words mean what people use them to mean. And people use racism and sexism to describe prejudice based on race and sex, not merely majoritarian prejudice.

But I also t ...


Very well said!
 
2013-05-23 07:50:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnFlQAvk8U

/Damn it feels good to be a white dude.

bugontherug:

Congratulations on learning to type words. You sound really smart to anyone who isn't actually intelligent enough to look in a dictionary.
 
Displayed 50 of 260 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report