If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(io9)   "Remove all the space within the atoms making up the human body, and every person that's ever lived would fit inside a baseball"   (io9.com) divider line 68
    More: Interesting, Brian Greene, human body, World Science Festival, theoretical physics, atoms, The Elegant Universe  
•       •       •

2707 clicks; posted to Geek » on 10 Apr 2013 at 9:27 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



68 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all
 
2013-04-10 08:28:23 PM  
A few more years of the obesity epidemic and the US is gonna need it's own softball
 
2013-04-10 08:51:21 PM  
What's really amazing is just how much of that space is concentrated in the atoms that lie between most peoples' ears.
 
2013-04-10 09:00:08 PM  
And if you separate all the atoms in our body into their constituent quarks and electrons, and then weigh them, they would equal 1% of your weight. The other 99% comes from the binding energy required to keep all the protons together. Essentially, all matter is 99% energy, and no I'm not on acid right now ;)
 
2013-04-10 09:34:06 PM  
gergwerk.com
And I've just invented an incredibly dangerous way of proving that theory.
 
2013-04-10 09:34:28 PM  
Dude is being disingenuous. Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another? Cheap statistic is cheapened by cheapness.
 
2013-04-10 09:35:25 PM  
www.mcgwire.com
Now who wants to see me hit some dingers?
 
2013-04-10 09:36:20 PM  

doglover: Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another?


Especially my weiner atoms.
 
2013-04-10 09:43:03 PM  
Rick Moranis approves.
 
2013-04-10 09:44:43 PM  

picturescrazy: Rick Moranis approves.


Matt Frewer does not.
 
2013-04-10 09:44:55 PM  
Two in the front seat, two in the back seat and the rest in the ashtray?
 
2013-04-10 09:46:48 PM  
Hey...how come our Canuckian friends are getting a free pass? Surely they aren't merely pasty-skinned Americans!
 
2013-04-10 09:51:10 PM  
heavy farking baseball.
 
2013-04-10 09:51:10 PM  
Whoa, dude, that is amaaaazzzzing

lh4.googleusercontent.com
 
2013-04-10 09:52:01 PM  
And how do you define "space" between particles?
 
2013-04-10 09:55:05 PM  
*Does not apply to your mom.
 
2013-04-10 09:57:25 PM  
Why would anyone want to do that?
 
2013-04-10 10:00:54 PM  
I'm not saying he's a bad person, just that some of the atoms making up his body used to be in Hitler's body.
 
2013-04-10 10:05:33 PM  
Guess I should start paying more attention in French class.
 
2013-04-10 10:06:35 PM  
And a black hole condenses all the matter contained within a star to a point smaller than the head of a pin.  This is hardly amazing.
 
2013-04-10 10:12:22 PM  

Fair_Poopsmith: doglover: Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another?

Especially my weiner atoms.


That isn't very many atoms though.
 
2013-04-10 10:15:13 PM  
That size baseball is coincidentally the same size as Tom Wopat's fist.
 
2013-04-10 10:17:41 PM  

doglover: Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another?


No, but I was just wondering about that. Do you, by chance?
 
2013-04-10 10:22:23 PM  
www.comicbookreligion.com
"Hi, guys! What's goin' on in this thread?"
 
2013-04-10 10:26:17 PM  

sxacho: doglover: Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another?

No, but I was just wondering about that. Do you, by chance?


Indeed I do.
 
2013-04-10 10:27:53 PM  

redsquid: Two in the front seat, two in the back seat


DVDA? Saw that in a Diabolic vid once.
 
2013-04-10 10:27:58 PM  
"You know, I heard a man can stretch his nerve endings from San Fransico to New
York....but, he would die."
 
2013-04-10 10:28:40 PM  
If they ever decide to account for my penis, we're gonna have to upgrade this whole thing to basketball.
 
2013-04-10 10:29:05 PM  

FriarED1: Fair_Poopsmith: doglover: Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another?

Especially my weiner atoms.

That isn't very many atoms though.


I just tell the ladies all the space between them has been removed.
 
2013-04-10 10:32:15 PM  
I thought

DeltaPunch: And if you separate all the atoms in our body into their constituent quarks and electrons, and then weigh them, they would equal 1% of your weight. The other 99% comes from the binding energy required to keep all the protons together. Essentially, all matter is 99% energy, and no I'm not on acid right now ;)


Also, I thought elementary particles had no actual volume either.
 
2013-04-10 10:43:17 PM  
Also, nothing is solid.  It only seems that way because of electromagnetic repulsion of particles which, due to solidity, can't get out of the way of each other.

Also, the sun doesn't move, the earth spins!

Things that make you go hmmm.
 
2013-04-10 10:57:53 PM  

doglover: Dude is being disingenuous. Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another? Cheap statistic is cheapened by cheapness.


Aw come on. It was late, I was having a really long dry spell, and I was drunk!
 
2013-04-10 10:59:11 PM  
actually... no

Matter doesn't work that way.
 
2013-04-10 11:05:21 PM  
So someone finally read A Wrinkle In Time?

/I'd totally do the Happy Medium
 
2013-04-10 11:05:53 PM  
I know my post made several kinds of no sense.  Let's all agree to blame it on the rain (of alcohol into my gut).
 
2013-04-10 11:14:57 PM  
Yeah, you could fit everyone into a baseball.

But you'd have to be awfully dense to do it.

/ba dum bum
 
2013-04-10 11:16:17 PM  

doglover: Dude is being disingenuous. Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another? Cheap statistic is cheapened by cheapness.


Yeah, just imagine how many atoms from other people's bodies have been in your mom, for example.
 
2013-04-10 11:25:10 PM  
i803.photobucket.com
 
2013-04-10 11:39:02 PM  
You don't have to be a star, baby, to be in my show.
 
2013-04-10 11:43:02 PM  
and then that baseball would collapse into a singularity and hoover up everything in the vicinity.
 
2013-04-10 11:48:28 PM  

StrangeQ: And a black hole condenses all the matter contained within a star to a point smaller than the head of a pin.  This is hardly amazing.

...no it doesnt.

 
2013-04-10 11:50:06 PM  

Yankees Team Gynecologist: I thought DeltaPunch: And if you separate all the atoms in our body into their constituent quarks and electrons, and then weigh them, they would equal 1% of your weight. The other 99% comes from the binding energy required to keep all the protons together. Essentially, all matter is 99% energy, and no I'm not on acid right now ;)

Also, I thought elementary particles had no actual volume either.


...yes they do
 
2013-04-10 11:54:09 PM  

Precision Boobery: Also, nothing is solid.  It only seems that way because of electromagnetic repulsion of particles which, due to solidity, can't get out of the way of each other.

Also, the sun doesn't move, the earth spins!

Things that make you go hmmm.



...yes the sun moves
 
2013-04-10 11:57:41 PM  
Waiting to be impressed...

onceuponageek.com
 
2013-04-11 12:06:41 AM  
I'd have thought it to be closer to a golf ball. Shows what I know.
 
2013-04-11 12:23:35 AM  

doglover: sxacho: doglover: Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another?

No, but I was just wondering about that. Do you, by chance?

Indeed I do.


I suppose I should have been more specific. Do you, sir, happen to the know the approximate proportion of atoms that have previously made up part of a person, which are currently part of an average person living today, compared to the number of atoms in an average person alive today which have never actually been part of any person? If so, would you like to share?

/I assume geography would have a lot to do with it
 
2013-04-11 12:23:46 AM  

deanayer: Yankees Team Gynecologist: I thought DeltaPunch: And if you separate all the atoms in our body into their constituent quarks and electrons, and then weigh them, they would equal 1% of your weight. The other 99% comes from the binding energy required to keep all the protons together. Essentially, all matter is 99% energy, and no I'm not on acid right now ;)

Also, I thought elementary particles had no actual volume either.

...yes they do


*checks Standard Model*

They do?
 
2013-04-11 12:43:23 AM  

sxacho: doglover: sxacho: doglover: Do you have any idea how many atoms in your body were also in other humans at one point or another?

No, but I was just wondering about that. Do you, by chance?

Indeed I do.

I suppose I should have been more specific. Do you, sir, happen to the know the approximate proportion of atoms that have previously made up part of a person, which are currently part of an average person living today, compared to the number of atoms in an average person alive today which have never actually been part of any person? If so, would you like to share?

/I assume geography would have a lot to do with it


You could probably make an order of magnitude or so approximation for how many carbon atoms you have that used to be part of an animal, but I think that would  the limit.

Anyone else watch the linked Neil DeGrasse Tyson vid from the article? Has he been taking voiceover lessons from Willam Shatner?
 
2013-04-11 12:45:08 AM  

Precision Boobery: Also, nothing is solid. It only seems that way because of electromagnetic repulsion of particles which, due to solidity, can't get out of the way of each other.


I see you're familiar with the work of Professor Hikita and Dr. Emilio Lizardo.
 
2013-04-11 01:21:44 AM  

picturescrazy: Rick Moranis approves.




Blew past the Moranis references. Thinking I was being clever I raced to the Googles looking for a Young Ones reference. Forgot he did the shrinking bit.

Oh well, I'll settle with being obscure.
 
FNG [TotalFark]
2013-04-11 01:31:17 AM  
And take the water out of lettuce, and it's just not the same.
 
Displayed 50 of 68 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »
On Twitter





In Other Media


  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.

Report