If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(The Register)   "The helpless user can do nothing but watch on in horror as their work gets dragged into the spectral shadows, their deadlines ripped to fleshy shreds and their very souls consumed in the vile and bestial depths of hell". But enough about Word   (theregister.co.uk) divider line 8
    More: Followup, Microsoft, word processors, tool-bars, After Effects  
•       •       •

3950 clicks; posted to Geek » on 22 Mar 2013 at 2:24 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



Voting Results (Smartest)
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


Archived thread
2013-03-22 02:37:02 PM  
2 votes:
2013-03-22 02:32:56 PM  
2 votes:
That would be one of the more positive reviews of recent Word versions that I've seen.
2013-03-23 03:44:15 AM  
1 votes:

Petey4335: Why does anyone still use word, excel or access?


Because I can get it installed on my personal computer free from work, on the off-chance I might do something work related at home.  And OpenOffice feels like the equivalent of the bookcase I cobbled together from scrap lumber.
2013-03-22 08:34:32 PM  
1 votes:
LibreOffice/OpenOffice and Google Docs are fine if you don't need to create anything more complex than a college term paper or a family budget spreadsheet. For serious business users there's no real replacement for MS Office.
2013-03-22 05:53:15 PM  
1 votes:
Use an AutoDesk product for a month, you'll never complain about quirks and instabilities in a MS product ever again.
2013-03-22 04:11:37 PM  
1 votes:
At a previous job i had a macro setup in excel that had to be used multiple times on a daily basis.  About 10% of the time, the macro would process everything in less than 5 seconds, and the other 90% it would take well over a half hour.

Extensive research found that it was an excel bug in multiprocessor systems - if i remember correctly it was something benign - the command to auto-adjust column width to fit; microsoft was aware, but there was no fix or patch beyond disabling multithreaded performance in excel.  Given that my machine was quad core, this was a little annoying in concept, but i figured it wouldn't make a noticeable slowdown, and besides it was only a single app.

So, I disabled the multithreading option, and everything worked fine for about two weeks -- until the next automatic update for Office was released.  This update included a new bug that made the multithreading checkbox non functional.  Namely, I couldn't turn multithreading off.

So, I had to go into the BIOS and disable three of the four cores on the processor to make the issue go away.

Note: This was in Office 2003.  When the company finally decided to upgrade to 2007, I was thrilled, as a new version released in and programmed for an environment with far more multicore systems shouldn't have such a serious defect...  right?

Wrong...

How any software company can take a hardware feature that drastically improves performance and instead turn it into something that seriously detracts from system performance - and then leave it in for years between multiple versions - is beyond my comprehension.

Countless other such annoying issues spring to mind with ease.  I wish corporate upper management would stop buying the expensive big-name stuff because it's expensive and big name, and go instead with the free open source alternatives that actually work as intended...  then I wouldn't ever have to deal with this kind of shiat on a daily basis anymore

Microsoft causes a significant amount of the daily stress I have to deal with, and they can collectively EABOD and DIAF for all I care.
2013-03-22 03:28:59 PM  
1 votes:

Petey4335: Why does anyone still use word, excel or access?


Because they already know how to use them and it's a major pain trying to figure out how to do the same thing in OpenOffice.
2013-03-22 03:01:27 PM  
1 votes:

PizzaJedi81: Arkanaut: Petey4335: Why does anyone still use word, excel or access?

Because their employers paid for it?

/uses google docs at home.

Yeah, I use WOrd and Excel (Excel more.) at work because, well, that's all they got.


"The Man" wanted me to use MS Office. I said "Man, what I look like to you - a closed-source corporate whore? NOTEBOOK, BIATCH! I THREW IT ON THE GROUND!"

// I ain't a part of your system
// maaaaaaaaaaaaaan
 
Displayed 8 of 8 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report