born_yesterday: And then what, Subby? What do we do then, once we've released these superchickens upon the world?/There will be no turning back.
turbocucumber: They might also single-handedly produce an even deadlier form of virus. Just like all these antibiotics-resistant bacteria.
Or they could turn into a giant monster...
gerbilpox: Unlikely. The flu survives because it's constantly adapting. That's why we need a newly-formulated shot every year.As I understand it (caveat: IANAB - I am not a biologist), it's lousy at making exact copies of itself, so nearly all have errors. 99% are so defective that they can't infect anything. The other 1% is still plenty though, and inevitably some of those have a error that just makes them different enough to escape the old antibodies.Then there's the cross-infection between pigs, humans, etc., not to mention other types of birds. (Whales can get it from seagulls.)What we could get is a bird flu that wipes out millions of us, but leaves chickens unharmed.BTW, they're making chickens with teeth now.Sleep tight.
Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.
When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.
Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.
You need to create an account to submit links or post comments.
Click here to submit a link.
Also on Fark
Submit a Link »
Copyright © 1999 - 2017 Fark, Inc | Last updated: Feb 21 2017 15:43:25
Runtime: 0.143 sec (142 ms)