If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(The American Prospect)   40 years after Roe, the demographics of abortion have changed but the stereotypes have not   (prospect.org) divider line 179
    More: Interesting, National Center for Health Statistics, Phil Gingrey, abortion debate, stereotypes, abortions, demographics, radical feminist, Guttmacher Institute  
•       •       •

4689 clicks; posted to Politics » on 22 Jan 2013 at 12:53 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



179 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all
 
2013-01-22 11:56:36 AM
The most recent data suggests that the disparity has only gotten larger. Today, a full 42 percent of women having abortions live under the poverty line, and another 27 percent have incomes within 200 percent of the poverty line. Taken together, 69 percent of women who have abortions are economically disadvantaged

imokwiththis.jpg
 
2013-01-22 12:11:25 PM

PowerSlacker: The most recent data suggests that the disparity has only gotten larger. Today, a full 42 percent of women having abortions live under the poverty line, and another 27 percent have incomes within 200 percent of the poverty line. Taken together, 69 percent of women who have abortions are economically disadvantaged

imokwiththis.jpg


Contraception would be a far better course of action, but it seems like these women are doing the responsible thing by not having children when they're very clearly unequipped to handle it.
 
2013-01-22 12:24:28 PM

Bloody William: PowerSlacker: The most recent data suggests that the disparity has only gotten larger. Today, a full 42 percent of women having abortions live under the poverty line, and another 27 percent have incomes within 200 percent of the poverty line. Taken together, 69 percent of women who have abortions are economically disadvantaged

imokwiththis.jpg

Contraception would be a far better course of action, but it seems like these women are doing the responsible thing by not having children when they're very clearly unequipped to handle it.


Totally agree. Free birth control pills for all.
 
2013-01-22 12:27:19 PM
I'm against abortion in all cases except one: where the fetus was anally conceived.
 
2013-01-22 12:28:37 PM
Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

I was not aware of this stereotype until just now.
 
2013-01-22 12:43:59 PM
 
2013-01-22 12:59:42 PM
Headline: The Demographics of Abortion: It's Not What You Think

Article: The demographics of abortion are pretty much exactly what I thought.
 
2013-01-22 12:59:49 PM
Are they talking about the stereotype of the anti-abortion crusader being an ignorant religious nutbag with contradictory viewpoints?

When anti-abortion crusaders quit being ignorant religious nutjobs with contradictory viewpoints that stereotype can end.
 
2013-01-22 12:59:53 PM
the reality is that the typical abortion patient these days is a twenty-something single mother of color.

I thought that was the stereotype. That's why this ad campaign is very concerned about the lives of black people.

encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com
 
2013-01-22 01:02:29 PM

Lionel Mandrake: Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

I was not aware of this stereotype until just now.


Yeah, I was under the impression that there are two stereotypes of abortion seekers:

1) Rich people who can't handle the embarassment
2) Welfare Queens

Yeah, I used a stereotype to define another stereotype.
 
2013-01-22 01:03:25 PM
But I thought getting abortions was just something women do in between their hair appointments and shoe shopping.
 
2013-01-22 01:03:55 PM

Almet: 1) Rich people who can't handle the embarassment


Whoops, cut off part of that...

It should read 1.) rich people who can't handle the embarassment of unwanted pregnancies in their family.
 
2013-01-22 01:05:29 PM
Improved contraception use has led to a drop in the abortion rate for pretty much all groups of women since the 1970s. But in the early 2000s, the National Center for Health Statistics found that while contraception use in American women had been climbing for decades, it stalled in the 1990s. Loss of access for poorer women seemed to be the sole reason for this troubling trend, which led to an explosion in unplanned pregnancy, and therefore abortion.

Good job retards conservatives.  Clearly you thought your cunning plan all the way through.
 
2013-01-22 01:05:39 PM

Almet: Lionel Mandrake: Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

I was not aware of this stereotype until just now.

Yeah, I was under the impression that there are two stereotypes of abortion seekers:

1) Rich people who can't handle the embarassment
2) Welfare Queens

Yeah, I used a stereotype to define another stereotype.


Isn't #2 there self-exclusionary?

1) Have kid 2)???? 3) Profit from welfare
 
2013-01-22 01:06:56 PM

bborchar: But I thought getting abortions was just something women do in between their hair appointments and shoe shopping.


Why not do both?

www.dvorak.org
 
hej
2013-01-22 01:07:29 PM
"[...] women ages 18-19 accounted for 33 percent of the total abortions performed in 1974, with those in their early 20s made up another third. Fifty-four percent were childless, and 72 percent were unmarried."

Well, obviously...
 
2013-01-22 01:08:02 PM
It's not about abortion.

It's about keeping poor people poor. You pay them shiat wages with even shiattier health benefits, you provide them with shiat public schools, you force them--yes, force the women--to have unwanted children, you raise prices on food and other necessities, you gut the social support network including public transportation.

And you get a permanent underclass that transfers all of its income back to you while you sit on your dock watching the sunset and banging some 20 year old you found in a bar yesterday.
 
2013-01-22 01:08:33 PM
Abortioned women consist of sluts who don't know how to keep their legs together.

The image of the middle class white teenager is there because the world revolves around protecting our pwecious white wimmens. Girls gone Wild! Girls. 2 Broke Girls. Lost Girl. Girl Interrupted. Gossip Girl. Mean Girls. Gilmore girls. Narratives are about white girls BY DEFAULT.
 
2013-01-22 01:09:48 PM

Rapmaster2000: the reality is that the typical abortion patient these days is a twenty-something single mother of color.

I thought that was the stereotype. That's why this ad campaign is very concerned about the lives of black people.

[encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com image 311x162]


You've convinced me! Abortion is God's work!
 
2013-01-22 01:14:31 PM

trickymoo: Almet: Lionel Mandrake: Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

I was not aware of this stereotype until just now.

Yeah, I was under the impression that there are two stereotypes of abortion seekers:

1) Rich people who can't handle the embarassment
2) Welfare Queens

Yeah, I used a stereotype to define another stereotype.

Isn't #2 there self-exclusionary?

1) Have kid 2)???? 3) Profit from welfare


Well, you pop them out until you max out on benefits, then it's abortion time.

Seriously, though, the people who came up with the idea of Welfare Queens aren't exactly renowed for consistency.
 
2013-01-22 01:15:35 PM
Anyone with half a brain already knows this. Ah, I see the problem. Nevermind.
 
2013-01-22 01:15:48 PM
You'd think there would be common ground here.

Liberals think even the most reasonable restrictions on abortion are the start of a ridiculous slippery slope and feminists view it as their sacred right of passage.

But most abortions prevent breeding future Democrats and increasing the welfare minority surplus so you'd think Republicans would be on board, cheap heartless racists that they are.

Seventy percent of Planned Parenthood clinics are still in minority neighborhoods because that's where the money, um I mean need is.

Somewhere Eugenics Margaret is smiling,
 
2013-01-22 01:16:51 PM

TheShavingofOccam123: you force them--yes, force the women--to have unwanted children


Abortion is legal.
 
2013-01-22 01:18:07 PM

cchris_39: Somewhere Eugenics Margaret is smiling,


Yes, and anyone who drives a Ford is an anti-Semitic Nazi sympathizer.

// grow up
 
2013-01-22 01:19:26 PM
TFA: Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

Because both sides desperately need that stereotype in order to stay effective. To the pro-choice folks, the depiction of a shattered future is by far the best argument they have that doesn't involve rape or physical health. To the pro-life folks, it's just about the only stereotype they have that cannot be attacked and dismissed as racially biased. If the demographics were to change, the pro-choice folks would have to adapt in ways they aren't prepared to do, and the pro-life folks would have no chance of adapting at all.
 
2013-01-22 01:19:43 PM
www.endthenra.com
 
2013-01-22 01:20:32 PM

cchris_39: Liberals think even the most reasonable restrictions on abortion are the start of a ridiculous slippery slope


Go on...
 
2013-01-22 01:26:43 PM
If birth control implants were free, the rate of abortion would plummet from low to near-nonexistent.

The god botherers are under the misapprehension that their daughters would be disinclined to sexual activity if there were Consequences. Of course, when the Consequences arise, the more well to do ones would do what they used to do in the 1960s - they'd take a "vacation" (wink wink) in Puerto Rico or Sweden.
 
2013-01-22 01:27:06 PM

dr.zaeus: TheShavingofOccam123: you force them--yes, force the women--to have unwanted children

Abortion is legal.


In some states (mostly in the south) there is only 1 place to get an abortion. There is also a 2 or 3 day required waiting period, which means that not only does the woman have to save up $1300 for the abortion and another $50 for transportation (at least) but then she also has to spend another $100-$150 on a (really shiatty) hotel. Couple that with the ridiculous rules being forced on aborton clinics (like they have to have a full surgery or they need to have a surgeon on site at all times or their closets must be x large) and suddenly it becomes much, much more difficult to get a legal abortion.
 
2013-01-22 01:27:56 PM
Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Sounds to me like the author of TFA watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High a few too many times.
 
2013-01-22 01:29:04 PM

cchris_39: You'd think there would be common ground here.

Liberals think even the most reasonable restrictions on abortion are the start of a ridiculous slippery slope


Why should abortions be limited? Does our society suffer from random mass abortions? Are women being forced to get abortions they don't want?
 
2013-01-22 01:29:31 PM

Millennium: TFA: Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

Because both sides desperately need that stereotype in order to stay effective. To the pro-choice folks, the depiction of a shattered future is by far the best argument they have that doesn't involve rape or physical health. To the pro-life folks, it's just about the only stereotype they have that cannot be attacked and dismissed as racially biased. If the demographics were to change, the pro-choice folks would have to adapt in ways they aren't prepared to do, and the pro-life folks would have no chance of adapting at all.


I don't get what you mean. Because the stereotype is white teenage/ collegiate girls and they have a future, keep it legal, but if it swayed to inner-city black women, the 'shattered-future' isn't possible because...?

Also, the pro-lifers wouldn't have to switch? They man their fundy-guns and talk about God some more. No adaptation needed.

Just sayin' the lines don't need to move much. All parties still has their original two feet to stand on.
 
2013-01-22 01:30:09 PM

Almet: Seriously, though, the people who came up with the idea of Welfare Queens aren't exactly renowed for consistency.




encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com

May or may not approve (does not recall)
 
2013-01-22 01:30:11 PM
White girls still need to go to college.
 
2013-01-22 01:30:16 PM

cchris_39: You'd think there would be common ground here.

Liberals think even the most reasonable restrictions on abortion are the start of a ridiculous slippery slope and feminists view it as their sacred right of passage.
But most abortions prevent breeding future Democrats and increasing the welfare minority surplus so you'd think Republicans would be on board, cheap heartless racists that they are.

Seventy percent of Planned Parenthood clinics are still in minority neighborhoods because that's where the money, um I mean need is.

Somewhere Eugenics Margaret is smiling,


Nope, I have no problem with late term abortions being restricted except when saving the mother's life.

TRY AGAIN.
 
2013-01-22 01:30:54 PM

Lionel Mandrake: Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

I was not aware of this stereotype until just now.


OK, I feel better now.
 
2013-01-22 01:32:28 PM

cchris_39: Liberals Conservatives think even the most reasonable restrictions on abortion gun ownership are the start of a ridiculous slippery slope .



It's your move.
 
2013-01-22 01:34:13 PM

Mike Chewbacca: cchris_39: You'd think there would be common ground here.

Liberals think even the most reasonable restrictions on abortion are the start of a ridiculous slippery slope

Why should abortions be limited? Does our society suffer from random mass abortions? Are women being forced to get abortions they don't want?


Everything needs regulation. Would you say that partial birth abortions should be legal? Lines need to be drawn. This isn't 'Nam.
 
2013-01-22 01:35:14 PM

dr.zaeus: TheShavingofOccam123: you force them--yes, force the women--to have unwanted children

Abortion is legal.


Yes, but if there isn't a place left to perform abortions, that doesn't really matter, does it?
 
2013-01-22 01:35:35 PM
The only demographic change about abortion would be if less than 100% of the people getting them were female.
 
2013-01-22 01:35:39 PM

jst3p: Would you say that partial birth abortions should be legal?


That depends. What does the woman's doctor say?
 
2013-01-22 01:35:53 PM

PowerSlacker: Bloody William: PowerSlacker: The most recent data suggests that the disparity has only gotten larger. Today, a full 42 percent of women having abortions live under the poverty line, and another 27 percent have incomes within 200 percent of the poverty line. Taken together, 69 percent of women who have abortions are economically disadvantaged

imokwiththis.jpg

Contraception would be a far better course of action, but it seems like these women are doing the responsible thing by not having children when they're very clearly unequipped to handle it.

Totally agree. Free birth control pills for all.


Of course, not farking until you're prepared to deal with the possible consequences is out of the question. And yes, this most definitely applies to the men involved as well as the women.

Homosexuals: as you were. We're not talking about you here.

 
2013-01-22 01:36:11 PM

PowerSlacker: Bloody William: PowerSlacker: The most recent data suggests that the disparity has only gotten larger. Today, a full 42 percent of women having abortions live under the poverty line, and another 27 percent have incomes within 200 percent of the poverty line. Taken together, 69 percent of women who have abortions are economically disadvantaged

imokwiththis.jpg

Contraception would be a far better course of action, but it seems like these women are doing the responsible thing by not having children when they're very clearly unequipped to handle it.

Totally agree. Free birth control pills for all.


Agreed. And postal carriers should hand out boxes of condoms along their routes.
 
2013-01-22 01:37:00 PM

Sneakernets: dr.zaeus: TheShavingofOccam123: you force them--yes, force the women--to have unwanted children

Abortion is legal.

Yes, but if there isn't a place left to perform abortions, that doesn't really matter, does it?


I really don't see how they are going to prevent the dressing room at Macy's from being commissioned for that purpose.

//Where there's a will coat hanger, there's a way.
 
2013-01-22 01:38:54 PM

Lionel Mandrake: Why does the '70s-era image of the white, middle-class teenager as the typical abortion patient persist?

I was not aware of this stereotype until just now.


It's because you're a man.

The "stereotype" is a bit murky here, because what it's being used in reference to is "the one who 'really' needs an abortion". The idea that white middle-class girls are the ones for whom legal abortion exists is the real stereotype--there was sort of an unspoken idea, even before Roe that them poor darkies always got themselves a abortion if they needed one. So even today, when discussing whether abortions need to be legal or not, people tend to frame it in terms of young (white) girls who need access to legal abortions.

As the article says, even douchebags like Akin and Gingrey mention "scared 15-year old girls" when discussing abortion, not Hispanic mothers, as if the only people who might be seeking abortions would be young girls, not older women with kids. Now, when the argument is flipped, about why abortion needs to be ILLEGAL, then the stereotype is flipped, and the typical seeker becomes the woman of color with extra kids having an abortion for convenience or birth control.

The stereotype is not "who has abortions" but "who should be allowed to have legal abortions" which the author was trying to say but kind of missed.
 
2013-01-22 01:39:30 PM

acad1228: Of course, not farking until you're prepared to deal with the possible consequences is out of the question.


If by "out of the question" you mean, "an unrealistic idea" you are correct.

The mother of "abstinance only" education today:

upload.wikimedia.org

How did that work out?

blogs.orlandosentinel.com
 
2013-01-22 01:40:27 PM

acad1228: Of course, not farking until you're prepared to deal with the possible consequences is out of the question.


If you've already done it, then, yes, that is out of the question. Time is still linear.
 
2013-01-22 01:40:30 PM
Still no cure for Sanger's racism
 
2013-01-22 01:41:53 PM

jst3p: cchris_39: Liberals Conservatives think even the most reasonable restrictions on abortion gun ownership are the start of a ridiculous slippery slope .


It's your move.


Both are legitimate concerns, but should take a back seat to fiscal matters. Between Guns and Abortion we are grinding water while the debt bomb ticks
 
2013-01-22 01:43:09 PM
Mmmmm, roe.

www.hdwallpapersarena.com
 
Displayed 50 of 179 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report