If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Investors Business Daily)   How come there's no pressure on Dems to cough up spending cuts in the "fiscal cliff" talks?   (news.investors.com) divider line 427
    More: Strange, no pressure, D-Ill, Boehner, George Stephanopoulos, Party leaders of the United States Senate, Nancy Pelosi  
•       •       •

1880 clicks; posted to Politics » on 27 Nov 2012 at 10:31 AM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



427 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | » | Last | Show all
 
2012-11-27 09:13:35 AM
Because they have said all along they would be willing to cut spending programs as a part of a balanced package?
 
2012-11-27 09:29:53 AM
Isn't the entire problem with the fiscal cliff the fact that it's a giant spending cut? What am I missing?
 
2012-11-27 09:33:58 AM
It is an even numbered year. Last year's manufactured economic apocalypse was resolved with all cuts and no revenue because it was an odd year. That means this time it is all revenue and no cuts.
 
2012-11-27 09:47:28 AM
When writing about a balanced approach to fiscal policy, one that involves both spending cuts and new revenues, it should be noted that Congress and the President have actually already cut $1.5 trillion ($1.7t including interest savings) in discretionary spending, not including war costs, over the next decade. Link
 
2012-11-27 09:50:41 AM
When you lose you're expected to make concessions.  Republicans lost.
 
2012-11-27 10:02:56 AM
The Dems are not the ones steadfastly refusing any sort of compromise. The GOP is the one going all "Thelma and Louise" on us.
 
2012-11-27 10:05:59 AM
It's Investor's Business Daily. Pay it no mind.
 
2012-11-27 10:20:35 AM
"People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the U.K., where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless." [IBD, Atlanta J-C, Ezra Klein]
 
2012-11-27 10:22:32 AM

exick: Isn't the entire problem with the fiscal cliff the fact that it's a giant spending cut? What am I missing?


If you view temporary tax cuts as effectively spending (which I think it is), you are absolutely accurate.
 
2012-11-27 10:24:23 AM
As anyone who's studied the federal budget knows, the problem isn't too little taxes. Even if we kept all the Bush tax cuts in place, federal revenues as a share of GDP will soon exceed historic averages.

Uhmm... HUH?? Do these historical averages include the time before income taxes or something?
 
2012-11-27 10:33:45 AM
DNRTFA.

Am I missing something, or did this major publication completely miss the trillions of dollars in offered spending cuts that the GOP took an enormous steaming dump on before demanding more?
 
2012-11-27 10:34:51 AM
The whine is strong in this one.
 
2012-11-27 10:35:16 AM
Most of the cuts can be re-introduced and be good PR and the services will come back when people see the gaping hole it leaves.

Convincing the majority of Americans that the rich need tax cuts and expecting to be re-elected....that just isn't going to happen.
 
2012-11-27 10:36:02 AM
Because they didn't get their asses handed to them back on November 6?

Because they've been conceding them all along even though they won't work on their own?

Because they never made a pinkie-swear to an unelected megalomaniac to never ever cut spending, cross our hearts and hope to die?

because fark you, that's why?
 
2012-11-27 10:36:04 AM

tnpir: It's Investor's Business Daily. Pay it no mind.


IBD is WND for the semi-literate.
 
2012-11-27 10:36:09 AM
Why should we have to cut programs people voted for? If people wanted to cut all that shiat, then Romney should have won.
 
2012-11-27 10:36:19 AM
SCOREBOARD: 303 to 206. That's how come, biatch.
 
2012-11-27 10:36:50 AM
because for the dems, improving the budget overages by 10% via taxes is a bigger class warfare win than dealing with the other 90% of the budget overages
 
2012-11-27 10:37:15 AM

Rain-Monkey: Because they have said all along they would be willing to cut spending programs as a part of a balanced package?


Repeating, bears, etc.
 
2012-11-27 10:37:40 AM

CPT Ethanolic: As anyone who's studied the federal budget knows, the problem isn't too little taxes. Even if we kept all the Bush tax cuts in place, federal revenues as a share of GDP will soon exceed historic averages.

Uhmm... HUH?? Do these historical averages include the time before income taxes or something?


Does he not know that from the end of WWII to now, we always collected about 19% GDP in revenues? Does he also not know that something happened around 2004 that caused this to drop to ~14% (and it's stayed there since)?

If he doesn't know that, why the bloody blue fark is he writing about government for a business publication?
 
2012-11-27 10:38:52 AM
It must be fun to just make shiat up all the time.
 
2012-11-27 10:38:55 AM

Daily reminder: The GOP's backing of the tax plan pushed by the loser of the presidential election is not a concession.

- Greg Sargent (@ThePlumLineGS) November 27, 2012
 
2012-11-27 10:39:15 AM

tenpoundsofcheese: because for the dems, improving the budget overages by 10% via taxes is a bigger class warfare win than dealing with the other 90% of the budget overages


Oh you're back? I've missed your brand of derp.
 
2012-11-27 10:39:23 AM
Conservatives have no clue about a false crisis that their own party created? I'm not really all that surprised, honestly.
 
2012-11-27 10:39:32 AM
I thought Obama offered 4 trillion in spending cuts?
 
2012-11-27 10:39:44 AM

Rain-Monkey: Because they have said all along they would be willing to cut spending programs as a part of a balanced package?


done in one.

and, oh yeah, THE FISCAL CLIFF IS 100 PERCENT THE FAULT OF REPUBLICANS.
 
2012-11-27 10:40:46 AM

EyeballKid: SCOREBOARD: 303 to 206. That's how come, biatch.


You left out Florida. The EVs have to total 538.
 
2012-11-27 10:41:01 AM

Infernalist: DNRTFA.

Am I missing something, or did this major publication completely miss the trillions of dollars in offered spending cuts that the GOP took an enormous steaming dump on before demanding more?


By equating Democrats unwillingness to privatize Medicare and cut Social Security with the GOP's unwillingness to raise any taxes any amount.

It's dumb but you have to be dumb to play Both Sides are Bad.
 
2012-11-27 10:41:13 AM
"We got 90% of what we wanted" - Boehner
 
2012-11-27 10:41:45 AM
Because we're down ~640B a year in revenues from our average, while up ~320B in spending off our average?
 
2012-11-27 10:41:52 AM
Because we have as much government as we want. The reality is nobody wants to cut entitlements, nobody and whining about it only shows how ignorant of the issue you really are.
 
2012-11-27 10:42:19 AM

tenpoundsofcheese: because for the dems, improving the budget overages by 10% via taxes is a bigger class warfare win than dealing with the other 90% of the budget overages


So, Obama isn't a Democrat now? You know, because his plan includes cuts?
 
2012-11-27 10:42:22 AM

FlashHarry: Rain-Monkey: Because they have said all along they would be willing to cut spending programs as a part of a balanced package?

done in one.

and, oh yeah, THE FISCAL CLIFF IS 100 PERCENT THE FAULT OF REPUBLICANS.


Well technically, it's 98% the fault of Republicans but with commonly excepted rounding procedures I'm willing to let your number stand.
 
2012-11-27 10:42:34 AM
Because of the liebral-leftist-driveby-lamestream-media-conspiracy. So only get your news from right wing conspiracy sites who tell the truth.
 
2012-11-27 10:42:48 AM

mrshowrules: exick: Isn't the entire problem with the fiscal cliff the fact that it's a giant spending cut? What am I missing?

If you view temporary tax cuts as effectively spending (which I think it is), you are absolutely accurate.


No you are missing the second part of the fiscal cliff and that is an automatic 10% cut to all government programs across the board.
 
2012-11-27 10:42:51 AM

Dusk-You-n-Me: Daily reminder: The GOP's backing of the tax plan pushed by the loser of the presidential election is not a concession.- Greg Sargent (@ThePlumLineGS) November 27, 2012


+1. How many of the Congress critters that got re-elected were campaigning on cutting entitlements. Obama campaigned on raising taxes on the rich and protecting entitlements. If Congressman didn't campaign on protect the tax cuts for the rich and cutting entitlements, they should STFU.
 
2012-11-27 10:43:06 AM
There is no negotiation to be had. The "cliff" will happen, and then we can work to restore some bits of it. Most likely Congress will be incapable of doing anything as simple as passing another tax cut, and we will get on with our lives as the economy continues to improve and no one really notices the change in tax rates
 
2012-11-27 10:44:20 AM
Because they got 2% of what they wanted last time, you asshole?
 
2012-11-27 10:44:33 AM

EyeballKid: SCOREBOARD: 303 to 206. That's how come, biatch.


If only they had similar results in the House of Representatives, they could do whatever they wanted. Sadly, the country voted for Republican control of the House of Representatives.

/Not really going to matter
//House Republicans will cave and cave quickly
 
2012-11-27 10:44:34 AM

Marcus Aurelius: The Dems are not the ones steadfastly refusing any sort of compromise. The GOP is the one going all "Thelma and Louise" on us.


I was thinking more "Devil's Rejects".
 
2012-11-27 10:45:20 AM
Because you touch yourself at night.
 
2012-11-27 10:45:21 AM

Citrate1007: "We got 90% of what we wanted" - Boehner


This post brought to you by the margin of error of 10%.

//98% - respect
 
2012-11-27 10:45:59 AM
The fiscal cliff isn't a cliff nor is it irreversible. There's no point to anyone trying to reach a deal before it kicks in.

Just let Jan 1 come and go, tax rates kick up and spending kicks down automatically.

If you really believe the deficit is a problem, you're done, the deficit's pretty much fixed. Otherwise:

THEN work out a deal to cut taxes and increase spending from that baseline.

Since you can get to a place with less deficit than today, without any politician having to support any tax increase or spending cut, politically everything's a lot easier.

Bonus: Republicans then have an incentive to actually make a deal; if they just blindly obstruct so nothing happens, taxes are higher than they like, and defense spending is lower than they like.
 
2012-11-27 10:46:41 AM

mrshowrules: exick: Isn't the entire problem with the fiscal cliff the fact that it's a giant spending cut? What am I missing?

If you view temporary tax cuts as effectively spending (which I think it is), you are absolutely accurate.


Also the 8% cut in defense spending and some other automatic cuts, including a fairly meaningful chunk of medicare funding, are up for debate.

Much like the debt ceiling of yesteryear, the public will miraculously learn all about the machinations surrounding this debate the day after it matters. Then we will all be treated to experts telling us how easy it should have been.
 
2012-11-27 10:47:02 AM

The Jami Turman Fan Club: I thought Obama offered 4 trillion in spending cuts?


$4 trillion in savings (cuts + revenue). And Obama's already enacted $1.5 trillion in cuts but gotten not one dollar in revenues. 

Spending cuts are actively detrimental to this economy. That we're actually debating how much bigger a cut to make is genuinely insane.
 
2012-11-27 10:47:31 AM

Slaves2Darkness: mrshowrules: exick: Isn't the entire problem with the fiscal cliff the fact that it's a giant spending cut? What am I missing?

If you view temporary tax cuts as effectively spending (which I think it is), you are absolutely accurate.

No you are missing the second part of the fiscal cliff and that is an automatic 10% cut to all government programs across the board.


The 2nd part is well-understood as spending cuts. By point is that the whole thing is effectively all spending cuts.

I don't view letting the tax cuts expiring as a revenue increase (although it increases revenue). I view it primarily as ending a temporary subsidy (i.e., spending reduction).
 
2012-11-27 10:47:34 AM

SunsetLament: the country voted for Republican control of the House of Representatives.


With a little help from Mr. Gerry Mander
assets.motherjones.com
 
2012-11-27 10:48:29 AM

SunsetLament: //House Republicans will cave and cave quickly


We can only hope. Last time they decided they'd push it until we got an embarassing (but ultimately meaningless) credit downgrade.
 
2012-11-27 10:50:04 AM
Pay them no attention. These are the same people who kept demanding Obama's birth certificate when he produced it, and the same ones who pretended for a year that Kerry had "no plan" when it was clearly posted online for the entire election cycle.

They don't care about facts or reality, just rhetoric.
 
2012-11-27 10:51:28 AM
As a side note, does anyone remember 18 months ago when the original "fiscal cliff" debates started. Wasn't it an argument about something completely different? As I remember it, we were going to go off the fiscal cliff if we didn't raise the debt limit and our national credit rating was subsequently downgraded. "Going over the fiscal cliff" had nothing to do with the Bush tax cuts not being extended. If I didn't know better, I would start to believe the media (and the Democrats) were just declaring we were "about to go over the fiscal cliff" anytime they wanted to do something financially related - and that it doesn't really have anything to do with the country's finances teetering on the edge of cliff. Hmmm .....

Oh, and while we're at it, why is it that no one ever says "Hey media (and Democrats), you said the country's finances would go over a cliff 18 months ago if the credit rating was downgraded ... it was downgraded ... and life went on as though nothing changed. If you were so wrong then, how do we know you're not completely wrong now?"
 
Displayed 50 of 427 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report