Do you have adblock enabled?
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(610 WIOD)   "Yeah, 9-1-1? (yawwn) I'm a cop and my girlfriend shot me. (yawwwn) Send me an ambulance and a patrol car for" BANG "well, better make that the coroner for her" (With nonchalant audio weirdness)   (610wiod.com) divider line 193
    More: Florida  
•       •       •

20872 clicks; posted to Main » on 12 Sep 2012 at 6:47 PM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



193 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all
 
2012-09-12 10:19:57 PM  

Wall_of_Doodoo: 99.998er: Wall_of_Doodoo: I dated a girl named Crystal once. She was completely insane. She tried to shoot me (not joking) after a few margaritas (on top of her prescribed Klonopin) for some imagined sleight. Ten minutes of true mental illness that two and a half years later I am still feeling the ramifications from.

As already stated, DO NOT STICK YOUR DICK IN CRAZY. I know that crazy in the head equals crazy in the bed, but when crazy gets momentum it can Fark up you life for years in just a very few minutes.

When I listen to this guys affect it really takes me back. When you date crazy it literally physically wears you out dealing with even the day to day drama, it's almost like a Stolkholm syndrome where you come to accept the constant crazy as normal.

Also, can anyone name a Crystal who is not bat crap nutty?

Does the name Christin count? Not enough room here to tell you all the bizarre behavior, but now a few years later, I look back and feel like I was Inspector Clauseau coming home to Cato. Flying ashtrays and porcelain figurines before the door ever shut, not to mention the ole flying iron to the head...unplugged of course. Gorgeous? Hell yes! Bat shiat insane? Hell yes! Worth it? Hell no!

Possibly, assumed the male equivalent would have been 'Cody' or 'Steve' (less and mst3k reference and more a Stone Cold one), but yeah, when I was able blow her mind when I predicted her middle name as 'Dawn', ie 'Crystal Dawn', ya gotta run from that mess. Sorry to hear about your mess, terrible people do terrible things, it's their nature. RUN.


Yeah...I am odd when it comes to names, but I learned at about 3 not to put my hand on a hot burner on the stove. Partial list to avoid at all costs (and note spelling):

Rhonda
Wanda
Crystal
Blanche
Cyndi
Traci
Candy/Candi
Cherri
Desiree'
...and any name spelled weird.
 
2012-09-12 10:23:04 PM  

99.998er: Wall_of_Doodoo: 99.998er: Wall_of_Doodoo: I dated a girl named Crystal once. She was completely insane. She tried to shoot me (not joking) after a few margaritas (on top of her prescribed Klonopin) for some imagined sleight. Ten minutes of true mental illness that two and a half years later I am still feeling the ramifications from.

As already stated, DO NOT STICK YOUR DICK IN CRAZY. I know that crazy in the head equals crazy in the bed, but when crazy gets momentum it can Fark up you life for years in just a very few minutes.

When I listen to this guys affect it really takes me back. When you date crazy it literally physically wears you out dealing with even the day to day drama, it's almost like a Stolkholm syndrome where you come to accept the constant crazy as normal.

Also, can anyone name a Crystal who is not bat crap nutty?

Does the name Christin count? Not enough room here to tell you all the bizarre behavior, but now a few years later, I look back and feel like I was Inspector Clauseau coming home to Cato. Flying ashtrays and porcelain figurines before the door ever shut, not to mention the ole flying iron to the head...unplugged of course. Gorgeous? Hell yes! Bat shiat insane? Hell yes! Worth it? Hell no!

Possibly, assumed the male equivalent would have been 'Cody' or 'Steve' (less and mst3k reference and more a Stone Cold one), but yeah, when I was able blow her mind when I predicted her middle name as 'Dawn', ie 'Crystal Dawn', ya gotta run from that mess. Sorry to hear about your mess, terrible people do terrible things, it's their nature. RUN.

Yeah...I am odd when it comes to names, but I learned at about 3 not to put my hand on a hot burner on the stove. Partial list to avoid at all costs (and note spelling):

Rhonda
Wanda
Crystal
Blanche
Cyndi
Traci
Candy/Candi
Cherri
Desiree'
...and any name spelled weird.


Generally the less the pronunciation matches the spelling, the higher the WTF will be with that person.
 
2012-09-12 10:30:55 PM  
Doesn't seem strange to me. Staying calm is more useful, so that's what you do.

I would almost rather deal with "You've selected: Regicide" than talk to the obnoxious dispatchers, though. It's like they pull the least pleasant and sensible people out of EMT training and say "You're just going to get punched in the face if you go out and act like that; here, sit behind this phone."
 
2012-09-12 10:35:19 PM  

MagSeven: AssAsInAssassin: "Is she white, black, or Latin?"

"WTF does it matter? I've been shot."

or

"Keep guessing."

or

"LET ME SPEAK TO A COMPETENT DISPATCHER, YOU FARKING MOROAN!!!"

Well they might want a general description for the woman roaming around with a gun that has already shot one cop.


And as we all know, the only women who shoot cops are white, black, or Latina.

Yes, those are probably the dominant races in the community. But why not ask "What is her race?" 'Cause there's no way she could be, say, Asian, or Native American, or anything but those 3 choices.
 
2012-09-12 10:38:58 PM  

AssAsInAssassin: MagSeven: AssAsInAssassin: "Is she white, black, or Latin?"

"WTF does it matter? I've been shot."

or

"Keep guessing."

or

"LET ME SPEAK TO A COMPETENT DISPATCHER, YOU FARKING MOROAN!!!"

Well they might want a general description for the woman roaming around with a gun that has already shot one cop.

And as we all know, the only women who shoot cops are white, black, or Latina.

Yes, those are probably the dominant races in the community. But why not ask "What is her race?" 'Cause there's no way she could be, say, Asian, or Native American, or anything but those 3 choices.


110M hurdles but that's not important right now
 
2012-09-12 10:43:24 PM  

innereardistortion: +1 for calmness due to shock.

We're not going to know the full story behind this until an investigation becomes public, but like many others, I can attest from personal experience that shock from a serious injury can make you unnaturally calm and composed.



I never did have any kind of emotional response to the injury other than 'Well, this is going to be inconvenient."


It may not even be shock.
My reaction to getting injured it pretty much in line with yours.
It's typically "Well, that's annoying" and then wondering why other people around are freaking out rather than being useful

I have found out it's worth putting on a little fuss when entering emergency rooms though or you get sent right to the bottom of the queue
because they go straght to "It can't be that bad if you brought yourself in" rather than bothering to examine then injury properly
 
2012-09-12 10:45:45 PM  

99.998er: ...and any name spelled weird.


Well, I think I found one of your problems... most of those names you listed are stripper names.

Also, there're some good girls whose names are spelled 'weird'; they just might happen to be from a different country: Eastern/Northern European and Indian/Asian girls, for instance.
 
2012-09-12 10:46:30 PM  

Active introvert: I always think it's funny when people tell the 911 operator "HURRY UP!"

Like the operator is going to say "Oh. I was going to wait till after my break to dispatch the ambulance but now that your said hurry up, I will get right on that."


Although we have had a few greenlights about that....
 
2012-09-12 10:47:02 PM  

Monkeyfark Ridiculous: Doesn't seem strange to me. Staying calm is more useful, so that's what you do.

I would almost rather deal with "You've selected: Regicide" than talk to the obnoxious dispatchers, though. It's like they pull the least pleasant and sensible people out of EMT training and say "You're just going to get punched in the face if you go out and act like that; here, sit behind this phone."


There's a reason they sound like robots. They're reading from computer software - usually ProQA (Police, Fire, Or Medical versions), or another automated dispatch system like Zoll's Rescue Net - or from flip cards which tell them specifically what to say.

And they have to read the prompts and words the same, exactly and verbatum no matter what they, or the callers say to them. It's the only way their agency, and the makers of the software, will stand by them.
 
2012-09-12 10:53:56 PM  
38 Special?

i566.photobucket.com
 
2012-09-12 10:57:49 PM  
I was in a relationship with a woman who is weapons grade crazy until recently. I had to deal with so much crap from threats of suicide, drugs, drinking. I understand the numbness one can feel it was mentally and physically draining. I am enjoying being by myself, no drama no threats, damages to house or car, I blame myself for allowing things to go on as long as they did, I had warning signs early on, but ignored them even family and friends warned me, but I refused to listen ,6 long years and I'm still dealing with the mess she stirred up. It might not be nice but after so much, threats of self harm become no big deal and it's as casual as a spilled drink.
 
2012-09-12 11:01:19 PM  

BronyMedic: Monkeyfark Ridiculous: Doesn't seem strange to me. Staying calm is more useful, so that's what you do.

I would almost rather deal with "You've selected: Regicide" than talk to the obnoxious dispatchers, though. It's like they pull the least pleasant and sensible people out of EMT training and say "You're just going to get punched in the face if you go out and act like that; here, sit behind this phone."

There's a reason they sound like robots. They're reading from computer software - usually ProQA (Police, Fire, Or Medical versions), or another automated dispatch system like Zoll's Rescue Net - or from flip cards which tell them specifically what to say.

And they have to read the prompts and words the same, exactly and verbatum no matter what they, or the callers say to them. It's the only way their agency, and the makers of the software, will stand by them.


Sure, but the reason only makes it worse.

"I am acting like a total asshole on purpose as a matter of policy, taking no responsibility for my own behavior" is not really a good thing from the point of view of the people who have to deal with them.

Nor is "I am essentially a mindless voice recognition system and am empowered to provide no value beyond that."

/consistency isn't always a virtue
 
2012-09-12 11:02:21 PM  

BronyMedic: zzrhardy: Victim blaming is only OK when its a guy being blamed.

Yeah. That's what I'm doing, buddy. You keep thinking that DV abusers don't push their victims to acts of violence, IF THAT WAS THE CASE HERE. Of course, I'm speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised.


Yeah yeah.

Man shoots woman is a filthy DV abuser murderer.
Women shots man, the man is still a filthy DV abuser and likely deserved it.

The worse thing is that this kind of thinking is so common that people like you don't even see a problem with it when pointed out.
 
2012-09-12 11:06:23 PM  

Wall_of_Doodoo: Also, can anyone name a Crystal who is not bat crap nutty?


Let's just say, I just checked your profile to see if we're from the same area. Not even close. So yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.
 
2012-09-12 11:11:27 PM  

Monkeyfark Ridiculous: Sure, but the reason only makes it worse.

"I am acting like a total asshole on purpose as a matter of policy, taking no responsibility for my own behavior" is not really a good thing from the point of view of the people who have to deal with them.

Nor is "I am essentially a mindless voice recognition system and am empowered to provide no value beyond that."

/consistency isn't always a virtue


Unfortunately, there IS a reason behind it, and the reason ProQA is taught the way it is. The reason is that, 99.95% of the time, people who call 911 aren't trained, level headed professionals. They go something like this:

"911, do you need Police, Fire, or Medical?"
"OHMYGODOHYMGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD"
"Ma'am/Sir, I need you to calm down and talk to me. Do you need police, fire, or medical." (Repeat Ad Nauseum)

zzrhardy: Women shots man, the man is still a filthy DV abuser and likely deserved it.

The worse thing is that this kind of thinking is so common that people like you don't even see a problem with it when pointed out.


Wow. I see you're doing two things here. Let's pretend Domestic Abuse is not a complex cycle of events, leading to an eventuality of either the victim using lethal force, the victim him/herself being killed, or the victim being forced to leave. And, you're putting words in my mouth. Do you know what the phrase "Speculating", and know how to read "Either she was a crazy biatch, or the guy was abusive towards her"?
 
2012-09-12 11:12:46 PM  

zzrhardy: BronyMedic: zzrhardy: Victim blaming is only OK when its a guy being blamed.

Yeah. That's what I'm doing, buddy. You keep thinking that DV abusers don't push their victims to acts of violence, IF THAT WAS THE CASE HERE. Of course, I'm speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah yeah.

Man shoots woman is a filthy DV abuser murderer.
Women shots man, the man is still a filthy DV abuser and likely deserved it.

The worse thing is that this kind of thinking is so common that people like you don't even see a problem with it when pointed out.


It's probably just because every time there is a true DV male on female killing... most people are empathetic, but there is always an alarmingly large amount people who will blame the victim. 'she pushed him to it', 'she should have known', 'she should have left sooner', 'she took the kids and went into hiding because he was beating all of them', 'she drove him to hurt her'... (I've actually heard these this week, 2 DV killings in as many weeks, both woman had left, obtained DVOPs, even went into hiding - tracked down & killed in broad daylight in public; but somehow it was all their fault. The local victim blaming was just a bit too large for my taste, not the majority, but still way too much) Point is, I think he had made a valid possibility... AFTER he had made the possiblility that she was just batshiat crazy. He even stated he's speculating. Who knows about this case but the cop and his dead girlfriend? Certainly none of us.
 
2012-09-12 11:15:22 PM  

Biv: rocketpants: [i.imgur.com image 400x525]

[i826.photobucket.com image 388x363]


i.imgur.com
 
2012-09-12 11:20:33 PM  

GrizzlyPouch: Elzar: Good thing about stand your ground is that she'll get off scott-free...

/ Also guns don't kill people
// Support your local NRA

Christ I'm sick of people making everything political

Not original. Not funny. Pretty worthless


Welcome to Fark.
 
2012-09-12 11:38:20 PM  
Somehow, Drew Peterson keeps coming to mind
 
2012-09-12 11:39:35 PM  

BronyMedic: Monkeyfark Ridiculous: Sure, but the reason only makes it worse.

"I am acting like a total asshole on purpose as a matter of policy, taking no responsibility for my own behavior" is not really a good thing from the point of view of the people who have to deal with them.

Nor is "I am essentially a mindless voice recognition system and am empowered to provide no value beyond that."

/consistency isn't always a virtue

Unfortunately, there IS a reason behind it, and the reason ProQA is taught the way it is. The reason is that, 99.95% of the time, people who call 911 aren't trained, level headed professionals. They go something like this:

"911, do you need Police, Fire, or Medical?"
"OHMYGODOHYMGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD"
"Ma'am/Sir, I need you to calm down and talk to me. Do you need police, fire, or medical." (Repeat Ad Nauseum)


Yes, but ensuring that they are neither empowered to nor capable of reacting intelligently to the specific caller that they are actually dealing with is wilfully gutting the useful aspects of having a human being in that position, leaving little to be lost (aside from a dickish attitude) when voice recognition inevitably improves to the point of cutting them out of the loop. ...Actually, destroying the worth of the human dispatcher kind of makes sense from a business perspective now that I think about it.
 
2012-09-12 11:43:47 PM  

GrizzlyPouch: j.zero: This is not the most competent 911 operator but this guy should know(since he is a cop) the person taking the call isn't the person sending police and paramedics. Hearing him say 'hurry up' is like nails on a chalk board for me. Having taken many thousands of these calls I don't find his calmness unusual or unnerving, in fact we often say the more relaxed a person sounds the worse the situation. For instance, you get parents screaming incomprehensibly because their one year old had a febrile seizure vs. having a guy who was stabbed in the abdomen calmly describe his attackers and the direction they left in only to die before help arrives.

You may be able to answer this.

I was wondering during the audio (and the several long pauses where it seemed like she was trying to figure out what to say) why she never asked him why did she shoot you?

TFA even says its not clear. I guess maybe not relevant during an emergency?


I would have asked that, she did in a round-about way, she asked if it was accidental but she should have figured out wtf led to him being shot. In response to other comments I am seeing, the reason she is asking so many questions is for responder safety. Like where is the crazy woman who shot you and is still armed right now? That sort of information is extremely relevant to the cops who are basically coming in blind.
 
2012-09-12 11:45:54 PM  

GrizzlyPouch: I was wondering during the audio (and the several long pauses where it seemed like she was trying to figure out what to say) why she never asked him why did she shoot you?


I'm not sure how their 911 system operates, if it records radio traffic on a separate voice recorder, but sometimes when you hear gaps in the audio like that, it means that the mic that is being used to talk on the line has been switched over using the XMIT button on the headset setup to transmit to a radio. She may have been relaying details.
 
2012-09-12 11:50:18 PM  

RoyBatty: j.zero: This is not the most competent 911 operator but this guy should know(since he is a cop) the person taking the call isn't the person sending police and paramedics. Hearing him say 'hurry up' is like nails on a chalk board for me. Having taken many thousands of these calls I don't find his calmness unusual or unnerving, in fact we often say the more relaxed a person sounds the worse the situation. For instance, you get parents screaming incomprehensibly because their one year old had a febrile seizure vs. having a guy who was stabbed in the abdomen calmly describe his attackers and the direction they left in only to die before help arrives.

I am surprised he said, "send more paramedics" and did not say "send the police". Is that because the police would automatically be sent? (Or because he knew the girl had been dead for hours.)

I was thinking his "hurry up" was because he was "bleeding out"?


Yeah it is a given, even if he showed up at the hospital instead and said it was accidental there is going to be a visit from the police. Why I think 'hurry up' from a cop is weird is that they know the person taking the call has no control at all over the speed of response and delaying questioning by interjecting that way can actually slow things down.

I don't expect a citizen to know that, and we painfully and repeatedly explain that answering questions doesn't slow things down many times a day. Not that anyone listens, I can't count how many times someone has told me the outcome was on my hands because I asked too many farking questions and just farking get them there.
 
2012-09-12 11:55:51 PM  

BronyMedic: GrizzlyPouch: I was wondering during the audio (and the several long pauses where it seemed like she was trying to figure out what to say) why she never asked him why did she shoot you?

I'm not sure how their 911 system operates, if it records radio traffic on a separate voice recorder, but sometimes when you hear gaps in the audio like that, it means that the mic that is being used to talk on the line has been switched over using the XMIT button on the headset setup to transmit to a radio. She may have been relaying details.


I find that pretty doubtful as you would have heard her radio in the background if that was the case; I think her long pauses are typing.
 
2012-09-12 11:57:56 PM  
I could name a Crystal who's not batshiat insane. But if it's spelled Krystal, then all bets are off.
 
2012-09-13 12:00:48 AM  

Monkeyfark Ridiculous: Yes, but ensuring that they are neither empowered to nor capable of reacting intelligently to the specific caller that they are actually dealing with is wilfully gutting the useful aspects of having a human being in that position, leaving little to be lost (aside from a dickish attitude) when voice recognition inevitably improves to the point of cutting them out of the loop. ...Actually, destroying the worth of the human dispatcher kind of makes sense from a business perspective now that I think about it.


Yeah. Some years ago I called in because some kids were playing around burning some dead weeds. They no doubt thought they had the situation under control but it was windy out, they could easily have ended up starting a brush fire.

The 911 operator kept asking me whether there was a fire or not and couldn't get the notion that the problem was a police matter, there was no current reason to roll a fire truck.
 
2012-09-13 12:11:33 AM  
That is the most unprofessional, brain-damaged dispatcher I've heard in a while
 
2012-09-13 01:47:18 AM  

99.998er: Wall_of_Doodoo: 99.998er: Wall_of_Doodoo: I dated a girl named Crystal once. She was completely insane. She tried to shoot me (not joking) after a few margaritas (on top of her prescribed Klonopin) for some imagined sleight. Ten minutes of true mental illness that two and a half years later I am still feeling the ramifications from.

As already stated, DO NOT STICK YOUR DICK IN CRAZY. I know that crazy in the head equals crazy in the bed, but when crazy gets momentum it can Fark up you life for years in just a very few minutes.

When I listen to this guys affect it really takes me back. When you date crazy it literally physically wears you out dealing with even the day to day drama, it's almost like a Stolkholm syndrome where you come to accept the constant crazy as normal.

Also, can anyone name a Crystal who is not bat crap nutty?

Does the name Christin count? Not enough room here to tell you all the bizarre behavior, but now a few years later, I look back and feel like I was Inspector Clauseau coming home to Cato. Flying ashtrays and porcelain figurines before the door ever shut, not to mention the ole flying iron to the head...unplugged of course. Gorgeous? Hell yes! Bat shiat insane? Hell yes! Worth it? Hell no!

Possibly, assumed the male equivalent would have been 'Cody' or 'Steve' (less and mst3k reference and more a Stone Cold one), but yeah, when I was able blow her mind when I predicted her middle name as 'Dawn', ie 'Crystal Dawn', ya gotta run from that mess. Sorry to hear about your mess, terrible people do terrible things, it's their nature. RUN.

Yeah...I am odd when it comes to names, but I learned at about 3 not to put my hand on a hot burner on the stove. Partial list to avoid at all costs (and note spelling):

Rhonda
Wanda
Crystal
Blanche
Cyndi
Traci
Candy/Candi
Cherri
Desiree'
...and any name spelled weird.


Women named Blanche are often utterly dependent on the kindness of strangers.
 
2012-09-13 01:56:11 AM  

j.zero: Yeah it is a given, even if he showed up at the hospital instead and said it was accidental there is going to be a visit from the police. Why I think 'hurry up' from a cop is weird is that they know the person taking the call has no control at all over the speed of response and delaying questioning by interjecting that way can actually slow things down.


Just as a layman, those were my thoughts too, which is why I wondered if "hurry up" meant "bleeding out".

Also, as a layman, can I say that I've never seen a movie or read a book when a simple shot in the leg could keep the hero down? That seemed very fishy to me, and I've seen a lot of movies.
 
2012-09-13 02:23:15 AM  
Women. Am I right guise? lawlz
 
2012-09-13 03:24:45 AM  

Inquisitive Inquisitor: That is the most unprofessional, brain-damaged dispatcher I've heard in a while


I don't understand these comments. The dispatcher sounded fine to me. I'm not biased -- I don't work in the field in any way (although I did handle a few emergencies as a UNICOM operator at a state airport -- that hardly compares).

She didn't sound in the least bit unprofessional, biatchy, rude, abrupt, incompetent, stupid, or any of the other descriptions posters in this thread have used. I just don't get it. She kept him talking. The questions she asked had a purpose. She wasn't rude.

Seriously, what the fark is everyone's problem with her? Is it because she's black (she is, right?)? I don't mean "Are you racist?" I mean, does she have a way of speaking that isn't familiar to you, so you interpret it a certain way (in this case, negatively)? Maybe it's a regional thing?

No offense intended -- just trying to suss it out.
 
2012-09-13 04:19:03 AM  
Terrible thing.
Sounds like the girl had a episode of some sort and access to weaponry to make the episode severley dangerous.
I feel bad for Phil Toman.

For those who complain that he sounds like he's sighing, that's a common sound for being exhausted, emotionally or physically. As he'd just been shot by his girlfriend I assume that he was both so please give the guy a farking break.

And I think the operator sounded like she was in control, got the paramedics dispatched quickly (you can hear when she's concentrating on something else for a little while in the beginning. That's her sending the go!go! message to the paramedics) and tried to get a handle on the situation via telephone.

Nothing anyone could have done in the situation. I'm just glad that the girl didn't shoot her boyfriend before she shot herself.
 
2012-09-13 05:06:24 AM  
FTFA: "No word on what prompted his girlfriend, Crystal Wilson, to shoot him in the leg, then apologize, tell him she loved him, and go out back and shoot herself."

I'll bet. I'm sure the officer wasn't cheating on her or some such. That never happens with police officers, bastions of the public trust who deserve every penny of their six figure salaries, 20 yr 90% public safety retirements with COLA's, premium health plans, and lifetime concealed carry privileges. Not saying policing isn't an important function or that their unions aren't entitled to bargain for the best deal. Still...
 
2012-09-13 05:07:59 AM  

wickedragon: I'm just glad that the girl didn't shoot her boyfriend before she shot herself.


Except that she did.
 
2012-09-13 07:32:16 AM  

vossiewulf: Coolfusis: Some people (like me) get unusually calm when they're in stressful situations, as if they haven't even realized the gravity of what just happened. It's a defense mechanism. It actually works against them in a lot of situations

Totally calm and not doing anything, I agree. However I completely disagree that freaking out is the right plan. I get quite calm in emergencies but I am 100% on and act quickly. I've found myself in a bunch of emergencies over the years from health crises to witnessing bad car accidents on rural roads to accidental poisonings and I've always been the one who's calm and doing the right things quickly while everyone else was standing there stupidly screaming and freaking out. 

/once pulled two kids 11-12 years old vertically up out of an SUV side door after their car flipped... with one arm
//adrenaline is an amazing thing
///car started burning about two min after I got the parents out by kicking out the front glass, front doors hopelessly jammed


It's odd. I've taken to carrying a fancy seatbelt (spell check says that's not a word) cutter and one of them there fancy window smashing thingamajigs. Both the missus and I are perfectly comfortable suturing, setting, etc. As we're in an extremely rural area (we don't even have a town name, really - we're a letter on the map) with moose and idiot hunters from out-of-state, tourists, and the outdoor activities we end up with injured people with a higher frequency than I'd have anticipated. It is strange really, it is okay and all. The missus isn't that good, tends to go ashen and freak a bit if it's a really messy situation. Meh... It isn't what we signed up for but it is what we have.
 
2012-09-13 08:03:16 AM  

j.zero: RoyBatty: j.zero: This is not the most competent 911 operator but this guy should know(since he is a cop) the person taking the call isn't the person sending police and paramedics. Hearing him say 'hurry up' is like nails on a chalk board for me. Having taken many thousands of these calls I don't find his calmness unusual or unnerving, in fact we often say the more relaxed a person sounds the worse the situation. For instance, you get parents screaming incomprehensibly because their one year old had a febrile seizure vs. having a guy who was stabbed in the abdomen calmly describe his attackers and the direction they left in only to die before help arrives.

I am surprised he said, "send more paramedics" and did not say "send the police". Is that because the police would automatically be sent? (Or because he knew the girl had been dead for hours.)

I was thinking his "hurry up" was because he was "bleeding out"?

Yeah it is a given, even if he showed up at the hospital instead and said it was accidental there is going to be a visit from the police. Why I think 'hurry up' from a cop is weird is that they know the person taking the call has no control at all over the speed of response and delaying questioning by interjecting that way can actually slow things down.

I don't expect a citizen to know that, and we painfully and repeatedly explain that answering questions doesn't slow things down many times a day. Not that anyone listens, I can't count how many times someone has told me the outcome was on my hands because I asked too many farking questions and just farking get them there.


I'd imagine the "hurry up" *could* be meant to imply a sense of urgency.
 
2012-09-13 08:53:58 AM  
AssAsInAssassin Smartest Funniest
2012-09-12 08:24:23 PM

"Is she white, black, or Latin?"

"WTF does it matter? I've been shot."

or

"Keep guessing."

or

"LET ME SPEAK TO A COMPETENT DISPATCHER, YOU FARKING MORON!!!"

Yeah the dispatcher is incompetent. Because the last g.d. thing you'd want when arriving on scene, is a description of the crazy chick who has a gun.
 
2012-09-13 09:13:00 AM  
AverageAmericanGuy
(favorite: Blamed "right" for Family Research Council shooting)

>>> OnlyM3:
>>> >>> AverageAmericanGuy
>>> >>> She was coming right for him.
>>> Waiting for you to blame the tea party like you did in the Family Research Council
>>> shooting thread. You know, the one where the liberal gay guy was the guy
>>> attempting murder.

It's like, I can read the words and it looks like English, but the words don't make any sense when put together. Are you Canadian?

No, you're just an idiot.
 
2012-09-13 09:38:38 AM  

MadAzza: wickedragon: I'm just glad that the girl didn't shoot her boyfriend before she shot herself.

Except that she did.


touché x)
 
2012-09-13 01:22:35 PM  

wickedragon: MadAzza: wickedragon: I'm just glad that the girl didn't shoot her boyfriend before she shot herself.

Except that she did.

touché x)


But I think I knew what you meant -- you meant "good thing he didn't die," right? Which is true.

It's sad, though, listening to someone who's distraught, then hearing the "crack" of her suicide shot. I feel like I violated her privacy.
 
2012-09-13 01:24:23 PM  

Wall_of_Doodoo: I dated a girl named Crystal once. She was completely insane. She tried to shoot me (not joking) after a few margaritas (on top of her prescribed Klonopin) for some imagined sleight. Ten minutes of true mental illness that two and a half years later I am still feeling the ramifications from.

As already stated, DO NOT STICK YOUR DICK IN CRAZY. I know that crazy in the head equals crazy in the bed, but when crazy gets momentum it can Fark up you life for years in just a very few minutes.

When I listen to this guys affect it really takes me back. When you date crazy it literally physically wears you out dealing with even the day to day drama, it's almost like a Stolkholm syndrome where you come to accept the constant crazy as normal.

Also, can anyone name a Crystal who is not bat crap nutty?


Quick personal question to my fellow survivors: do you also find it difficult to relate to new women without secretly expecting them to start with the Batsith routine? are you also not-so-secretly pleased with yourself when you are able to sidestep it at the last second when it DOES eventually go down???

/yeah, me too
 
2012-09-13 03:09:37 PM  

UnspokenVoice: j.zero: RoyBatty: j.zero: This is not the most competent 911 operator but this guy should know(since he is a cop) the person taking the call isn't the person sending police and paramedics. Hearing him say 'hurry up' is like nails on a chalk board for me. Having taken many thousands of these calls I don't find his calmness unusual or unnerving, in fact we often say the more relaxed a person sounds the worse the situation. For instance, you get parents screaming incomprehensibly because their one year old had a febrile seizure vs. having a guy who was stabbed in the abdomen calmly describe his attackers and the direction they left in only to die before help arrives.

I am surprised he said, "send more paramedics" and did not say "send the police". Is that because the police would automatically be sent? (Or because he knew the girl had been dead for hours.)

I was thinking his "hurry up" was because he was "bleeding out"?

Yeah it is a given, even if he showed up at the hospital instead and said it was accidental there is going to be a visit from the police. Why I think 'hurry up' from a cop is weird is that they know the person taking the call has no control at all over the speed of response and delaying questioning by interjecting that way can actually slow things down.

I don't expect a citizen to know that, and we painfully and repeatedly explain that answering questions doesn't slow things down many times a day. Not that anyone listens, I can't count how many times someone has told me the outcome was on my hands because I asked too many farking questions and just farking get them there.

I'd imagine the "hurry up" *could* be meant to imply a sense of urgency.


This is why it is so frustrating to deal with this on the phone. Trust me the person taking the 911 call is aware that if someone is shot the situation is urgent. In fact, with a shooting you can bet that police are on the way lights and sirens as she had the address. If you are ever have to call 911 because you've been shot or stabbed and say 'fark your questions just get them here' and hangup you will drastically decrease your chances of survival. With zero information the police are going to approach with infinitely more caution, and of course the paramedics never run in first.

This isn't a hypothetical statement, I know of people who died primarily because their family member(s) couldn't get their shiat together enough to tell us what was going on, and if you think a dispatcher is going to send a firefighter into a house where they could be injured by another human being(fire is different) you are wrong, wrong, wrong. Maybe it was just a heart attack but we had to wait for police to clear the house first, while the whole time they missed the opportunity to be doing CPR since they don't want to waste time being on the phone answering stupid questions.

I rarely take 911 calls anymore since I am a dispatcher, but before I got on a radio I was ready to quit because of all the people who call for help and then think they have reached Burger King and get to have things their way.

One last thing, I noticed some people comment that they reach biatches when they call 911 that are condescending and rude, this chick wasn't. For whatever reason, call me sexist, women come across that way on the phone more often than men and typically get poorer results from callers. Some people think it is because callers assume a male answering the phone is an officer, but when I listen to some of the females I work with(who are good at their jobs) taking calls, I know I wouldn't respond well to their tone or attitude either.
 
2012-09-13 09:00:16 PM  

krackpipe: FTFA: "No word on what prompted his girlfriend, Crystal Wilson, to shoot him in the leg, then apologize, tell him she loved him, and go out back and shoot herself."

I'll bet. I'm sure the officer wasn't cheating on her or some such. That never happens with police officers, bastions of the public trust who deserve every penny of their six figure salaries, 20 yr 90% public safety retirements with COLA's, premium health plans, and lifetime concealed carry privileges. Not saying policing isn't an important function or that their unions aren't entitled to bargain for the best deal. Still...


Dude, put down the cra-- eh, forget it.
 
Displayed 43 of 193 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »
Advertisement
On Twitter





In Other Media


  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.

Report