If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Huffington Post)   The ten best movies for the ADHD crowd, though most of them will get bored after reaching #5   (huffingtonpost.com) divider line 76
    More: PSA, American films, human beings, movies, Americans, Marx Brothers, ADHD, best movies, Richard Dreyfuss  
•       •       •

10338 clicks; posted to Entertainment » on 05 Sep 2012 at 4:06 PM (1 year ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



76 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all
 
2012-09-05 06:28:37 PM
(Jonah Hex) was the shortest (non-animated) movie given a worldwide (or: not limited) release within the last 60 years.

Fixed for me.


Now: what's the Fark consensus on the ideal song length?

I say 3:00-4:19 for non-classical and 9:30-14:14 for most modern classical.
 
2012-09-05 06:30:17 PM
A quality list. There are probably others that would fit the bill, but you really can't go wrong with any of the choices.
 
2012-09-05 06:37:51 PM

Pandora's Litterbox: Now: what's the Fark consensus on the ideal song length?

I say 3:00-4:19 for non-classical and 9:30-14:14 for most modern classical.


24:00 because that's the length of "Octavarium"

or

1:07 because that's the length of Queen's "Dear Friends"

Length doesn't matter. Great music comes in all lengths, just like film.
 
2012-09-05 06:53:23 PM

EMCGuy: Khellendros: Corvus: Movies should be 90 to 120 minutes.

Can't agree there. The bulk of the movies that get released today that are 90 to 100 minutes feel rushed, cheap, or cut to death by a movie company. Too often they feel like novelty experiences. Most of my favorites are in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour range, often up to 3 hours.

Not to say there aren't good movies on the low end of the time scale. They just are few and far between, IMO.

It entirely depends on the film. Most comedies couldn't fill 120 minutes, and many seem to drag even at 90 minutes. Some dramas need the extra time. Some definitely don't.


Remember how in the 80s a comedy would be really funny for the first hour or so, then add 45 minutes of the characters deciding to be serious or simply do a bunch of crazy non sequitur stuff? Like every time that Bill Murray or Steve Martin have to learn to stop being assholes.

Or the last part of Stripes.
 
2012-09-05 06:54:37 PM
Roger Ebert: "It's a bad movie when you keep looking at your watch. It's a terrible movie when you keep tapping your watch, thinking it's stopped."
 
2012-09-05 07:03:04 PM

Fano: EMCGuy: Khellendros: Corvus: Movies should be 90 to 120 minutes.

Can't agree there. The bulk of the movies that get released today that are 90 to 100 minutes feel rushed, cheap, or cut to death by a movie company. Too often they feel like novelty experiences. Most of my favorites are in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour range, often up to 3 hours.

Not to say there aren't good movies on the low end of the time scale. They just are few and far between, IMO.

It entirely depends on the film. Most comedies couldn't fill 120 minutes, and many seem to drag even at 90 minutes. Some dramas need the extra time. Some definitely don't.

Remember how in the 80s a comedy would be really funny for the first hour or so, then add 45 minutes of the characters deciding to be serious or simply do a bunch of crazy non sequitur stuff? Like every time that Bill Murray or Steve Martin have to learn to stop being assholes.

Or the last part of Stripes.


I like remembering when Bill Murray was funny. Back before he started doing hipster weird for weird's sake bullshiat.

He's still a cool guy, though.
 
2012-09-05 07:26:43 PM

robohobo: Fano: EMCGuy: Khellendros: Corvus: Movies should be 90 to 120 minutes.

Can't agree there. The bulk of the movies that get released today that are 90 to 100 minutes feel rushed, cheap, or cut to death by a movie company. Too often they feel like novelty experiences. Most of my favorites are in the 2 to 2 1/2 hour range, often up to 3 hours.

Not to say there aren't good movies on the low end of the time scale. They just are few and far between, IMO.

It entirely depends on the film. Most comedies couldn't fill 120 minutes, and many seem to drag even at 90 minutes. Some dramas need the extra time. Some definitely don't.

Remember how in the 80s a comedy would be really funny for the first hour or so, then add 45 minutes of the characters deciding to be serious or simply do a bunch of crazy non sequitur stuff? Like every time that Bill Murray or Steve Martin have to learn to stop being assholes.

Or the last part of Stripes.

I like remembering when Bill Murray was funny. Back before he started doing hipster weird for weird's sake bullshiat.

He's still a cool guy, though.


That's because Bill Murray became so funny that all he has to do to incite laughter is to appear on screen.

Lord knows I was rollin' during Moonlight Kingdom.
 
2012-09-05 07:32:02 PM

farkeruk: Run Lola Run: 81 minutes.


Came to say this. Great movie.
 
2012-09-05 07:38:44 PM

Summoner101: That's because Bill Murray became so funny that all he has to do to incite laughter is to appear on screen.

Lord knows I was rollin' during Moonlight Kingdom.


Movies where Bill plays an alcoholic divorcee, psychologist, and marine biologist = "hipster weird for weird's sake bullshiat"

Movies where Bill fights ghosts and is a paranormal expert = Perfectly normal and not hipsterish

/stop using the word hipster
//everyone
 
2012-09-05 07:40:16 PM

scottydoesntknow: Ehhh I don't care how long a movie is, as long as it entertains me. The Dark Knight Rises was 165 minutes, but I was entertained throughout. On the other hand, Pearl Harbor was 183 minutes, and it felt like it took 3 days to get through.


Evil Dead 1&2 both clock in at about 80 minutes, but that's due a lot to the fact they don't have opening credits.
 
2012-09-05 07:42:24 PM
holy crap, an article on the internet that is not all post-1995 content. i'm stunned. keep this up and some day i may have a little respect for HuffPo.
 
2012-09-05 07:42:50 PM

hogans: farkeruk: Run Lola Run: 81 minutes.

And it's still three times longer than it needs to be.



I loved that movie.  I guess because I like movies with badass female leads.  I saw it three times in the theater, which is something I NEVER do.
 
2012-09-05 07:43:23 PM

Gunny Highway: Summoner101: That's because Bill Murray became so funny that all he has to do to incite laughter is to appear on screen.

Lord knows I was rollin' during Moonlight Kingdom.

Movies where Bill plays an alcoholic divorcee, psychologist, and marine biologist = "hipster weird for weird's sake bullshiat"

Movies where Bill fights ghosts and is a paranormal expert = Perfectly normal and not hipsterish

/stop using the word hipster
//everyone


Planning on watching "The Life Aquatic" this evening but I think Murray is doing it right, as far as an older comedian finding material to work with. Not straight up "LOOK AT ME, I can do SERIOUS STUFF too," that seems to infect 30% of older comedians, or complete schmaltz which seems to infect the other 70%. Just solid roles.
 
2012-09-05 07:46:59 PM

Fano:
Planning on watching "The Life Aquatic" this evening but I think Murray is doing it right, as far as an older comedian finding material to work with. Not straight up "LOOK AT ME, I can do SERIOUS STUFF too," that seems to infect 30% of older comedians, or complete schmaltz which seems to infect the other 70%. Just solid roles.


img2-1.timeinc.net
 
2012-09-05 07:52:57 PM

scottydoesntknow: Fano:
Planning on watching "The Life Aquatic" this evening but I think Murray is doing it right, as far as an older comedian finding material to work with. Not straight up "LOOK AT ME, I can do SERIOUS STUFF too," that seems to infect 30% of older comedians, or complete schmaltz which seems to infect the other 70%. Just solid roles.

[img2-1.timeinc.net image 400x300]


Related:

[Michael] Caine had mixed feelings about working on [Jaws III], both on the production and the final version. He thinks that it was a first for him to be involved with someone his own age in a film. He compares the relationship between two middle-aged people to the romance between two teenagers. Although disappointed not to be able to collect an Academy Award because of filming in the Bahamas, he was glad to be involved in the film. In the press release, he explains that "it is part of movie history... the original was one of the great all-time thrillers. I thought it might be nice to be mixed up with that. I liked the script very much." However, Caine later claimed: "I have never seen it [the film], but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!" In his 1992 autobiography What's it All About?, he says that the film "will go down in my memory as the time when I won an Oscar, paid for a house and had a great holiday. Not bad for a flop movie."
 
2012-09-05 08:39:40 PM

farkeruk: Run Lola Run: 81 minutes.


Yeah, but watching it once is like watching it three times.
 
2012-09-05 08:44:33 PM

thecpt: HaywoodJablonski: Disney's Pocahontas was 81 minutes.

/Don't judge me

Lilo and Stitch. 85 Minutes. A great 85 minutes


Best Disney (Non-Pixar) movie in over 25 years. I don't care what anyone says.

"Pudge controls the weather."
 
2012-09-05 08:44:48 PM
90% of movies I see could stand to have 30-60 minutes cut from them. I've mostly given up on movies though.
 
2012-09-05 08:52:46 PM

whereisian: 90% of movies I see could stand to have 30-60 minutes cut from them.


Pretty much this, with a few exceptions.
 
2012-09-05 09:09:08 PM

Carth: [upload.wikimedia.org image 300x445]

77 minutes. But honestly it could have used another 30.


List is "best" not "worst."
 
2012-09-05 10:19:23 PM
adhd movies?

"the pest" - must like or be impartial to john leguizamo
"waking life" - what's going on now? who knows, but it will be something entirely different in 5 minutes
"the princess bride" - nuff said

honorable mention - "robot chicken on dvd" not every adhd case can handle actual movies, but if you can' handle this, you have the attention span of a meth-addled goldfish
 
2012-09-06 12:33:25 AM
2.bp.blogspot.com
 
2012-09-06 01:11:30 AM

JayR30: thecpt: HaywoodJablonski: Disney's Pocahontas was 81 minutes.

/Don't judge me

Lilo and Stitch. 85 Minutes. A great 85 minutes

Best Disney (Non-Pixar) movie in over 25 years. I don't care what anyone says.

"Pudge controls the weather."


This. So many hilarious and quotable lines
 
2012-09-06 06:25:12 AM

scottydoesntknow: Fano:
Planning on watching "The Life Aquatic" this evening but I think Murray is doing it right, as far as an older comedian finding material to work with. Not straight up "LOOK AT ME, I can do SERIOUS STUFF too," that seems to infect 30% of older comedians, or complete schmaltz which seems to infect the other 70%. Just solid roles.

[img2-1.timeinc.net image 400x300]


whatever, Broken Flowers is a great film.

/can't believe I actually like a Jarmush film! That dude must be getting soft in his old age
 
2012-09-06 08:15:02 AM
Are movie length determined from "very start of the film to the very end, including credits?"

I only ask this because I always find it fascinating when I'm watching an old movie has just a simple splash page of the main actors, and maybe another one for other important people. Which has grown in length greatly over time.

For example, "It's a Wonderful Life" has an opening credit sequence that lasts 1 minute. And if memory serves me correctly, it just ends with a splash page that says "THE END". The closing credits for "Wall-E" is 7 minutes long (granted, about 2 or 3 minutes of that is clever animation intermixed with important names, and not just a scrolling wall of text).

*******

On a side note, not taking into account length of movie, "Moulin Rouge" to me seems to be the best movie ever to capture to true essence of being AHDH...especially the first half.
 
2012-09-07 08:59:59 AM
Some people in this thread have a very inaccurate idea of ADHD.
 
Displayed 26 of 76 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report