Do you have adblock enabled?
If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Tumblr)   Why do people talk about millennials like they are an undiscovered tribe from the Amazon? They just want a world that makes sense. Newsflash to old people: The things you expect of us don't make sense   (irishmexi.tumblr.com) divider line 240
    More: Hero, Gen Y  
•       •       •

16600 clicks; posted to Main » on 23 Aug 2012 at 5:47 PM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



240 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | » | Last | Show all
 
2012-08-23 04:14:20 PM  
Pretty much farking everything.
That quote? Makes no farking sense.
My 12 year old sister, and she already farking has one.
What I'm trying to say is you can all go fark yourselves


I'd reckon undiscovered Amazonian tribes aren't quite as vulgur and are likely better versed in persuasive language.
 
2012-08-23 04:21:31 PM  

Bob_Laublaw: I'd reckon undiscovered Amazonian tribes aren't quite as vulgur and are likely better versed in persuasive language.


The "author" tends to prove invalid points by making himself look like a douchebag. With that said I'm 38 and I've discovered that people in their mid 20s are exactly like I was when I was in my mid 20s. 10% want to make something of themselves and the other 90% biatch about not being able to "make it" and put in no real effort to do so. It was probably like that in 1912 as well.. Or in Roman days. Either way this talk of "kids today just want shiat handed to them!" is misguided as history shows that the vast majority of people in any era want shiat handed to them.
 
2012-08-23 04:26:37 PM  
Well said, xynix.

"Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

-Socrates, more than 100 years ago
 
2012-08-23 04:36:59 PM  
Kids today.

With their damned dubstep

teen pop

hip hop

gangsta rap

alternative

disco

rock-n-roll

bop jazz

big band

ragtime

chamber music

symphonic music

madrigals


Why can't they just beat on a rock with a stick like they did when I was a kid?

Oh wait. I guess that actually DOES sound like dubstep. So that one is ok.
 
2012-08-23 04:42:18 PM  
Why do people talk about millennials like they are an undiscovered tribe from the Amazon?

i105.photobucket.com

I can't imagine.
 
2012-08-23 04:53:30 PM  
The Grim Reaper comes for everyone eventually. Sweet dreams kiddies.
 
2012-08-23 05:07:26 PM  
farking whippersnappers shut up and pay the debt.
 
2012-08-23 05:08:06 PM  

xynix: Bob_Laublaw: I'd reckon undiscovered Amazonian tribes aren't quite as vulgur and are likely better versed in persuasive language.

The "author" tends to prove invalid points by making himself look like a douchebag. With that said I'm 38 and I've discovered that people in their mid 20s are exactly like I was when I was in my mid 20s. 10% want to make something of themselves and the other 90% biatch about not being able to "make it" and put in no real effort to do so. It was probably like that in 1912 as well.. Or in Roman days. Either way this talk of "kids today just want shiat handed to them!" is misguided as history shows that the vast majority of people in any era want shiat handed to them.



Yep, we're pretty much on the same page (I'm one year younger than you).  I have a ton of friends in their 20s.  I don't know if I'd say 90/10... but it depends on how you define "success". 
 
A lot of my friends want to be bartenders for life.  Or cooks (not aspiring to be a head chef).
 
I don't know... not sure what's so wrong with that.
 
2012-08-23 05:17:41 PM  
I wish they were an undiscovered tribe from the Amazon.
 
2012-08-23 05:17:58 PM  
The delivery sucked, but the sentiment is valid. With the myth of a 'permanent job' finally being debunked, and seeing our parents anchored to underwater mortgages, and hearing about pension funds and 401ks going bankrupt, it doesn't make much sense to follow in the footsteps of the generations before us. Flexibility means more to us than stability, and being debt-free means more than luxury. Our status symbols are $200 phones and $1000 laptops, not $30,000 cars and $300,000 homes.

We've seen people spend three decades of their lives working to get ahead only to have the rug yanked out from under them by the businesses they trusted and the expectations they built. So why would we do the same thing?
 
2012-08-23 05:28:59 PM  

Jubeebee: Flexibility means more to us than stability, and being debt-free means more than luxury. Our status symbols are $200 phones and $1000 laptops, not $30,000 cars and $300,000 homes.
We've seen people spend three decades of their lives working to get ahead only to have the rug yanked out from under them by the businesses they trusted and the expectations they built. So why would we do the same thing?


That's perfectly valid and understandable, but there are a lot of folks who fit that bill who haven't had the rug pulled out from them. From an early Gen Xer perspective (I'm 42), I was raised with a value on getting a stable foundation in order - stability is what enables flexibility. I own, but am not owned by, my house and accruements. Keeping out of debt, or at least keeping it responsible and manageable, is sage advice for any generation.
 
2012-08-23 05:45:15 PM  

Jubeebee: The delivery sucked, but the sentiment is valid. With the myth of a 'permanent job' finally being debunked, and seeing our parents anchored to underwater mortgages, and hearing about pension funds and 401ks going bankrupt, it doesn't make much sense to follow in the footsteps of the generations before us. Flexibility means more to us than stability, and being debt-free means more than luxury. Our status symbols are $200 phones and $1000 laptops, not $30,000 cars and $300,000 homes.

We've seen people spend three decades of their lives working to get ahead only to have the rug yanked out from under them by the businesses they trusted and the expectations they built. So why would we do the same thing?


You will do the same thing because everyone does the same thing. When you hit 35 and realize that your $1000 laptop and your flexible lifestyle won't sustain you in retirement, your priorities will change. It happened to us, it happened to the Boomers, and it will happen to you.
 
2012-08-23 05:47:49 PM  

Bob_Laublaw: That's perfectly valid and understandable, but there are a lot of folks who fit that bill who haven't had the rug pulled out from them.


No doubt, but enough have that it's scared a lot of 20-somethings away. And keep in mind that a great many of us start out with $50,000+ of student loan debt. The thought of adding a mortgage on top of that before we even finish paying it off is pretty scary.

Something I have noticed is a trend toward independent contracting instead of traditional employment, as well as favoring renting/house sharing over looking for a starter home. While outright owning a home may grant you flexibility in that you have no board costs, younger people usually don't have that option. Instead, we'll take multiple small revenue streams over a regular paycheck and location independence over a fixed metro area when we can get them.
 
2012-08-23 05:51:00 PM  
Psst, "millennials": Nobody cares.

Now, run along.
 
2012-08-23 05:51:44 PM  
STFU noob and get off my lawn,

You're not special and people don't talk about "millennials" any differently than they talked about gen-x or gen-y or for that matter any other generation.
 
2012-08-23 05:52:19 PM  

Jubeebee: Flexibility means more to us than stability, and being debt-free means more than luxury. Our status symbols are $200 phones and $1000 laptops, not $30,000 cars and $300,000 homes.


God really? y'all are that broke?
 
2012-08-23 05:53:12 PM  
"The world needs ditch digger too"

Judge Elihu Smails
 
2012-08-23 05:54:46 PM  

Bob_Laublaw: -Socrates, more than 100 years ago


Do you work for Microsoft customer service? It was 2,430 years ago, give or take.
 
2012-08-23 05:54:52 PM  

Steve McQueen's Motorcycle: "The world needs ditch digger too"

Judge Elihu Smails


yep, and it already has the one it needs.
farm1.staticflickr.com
 
2012-08-23 05:54:58 PM  

Mentat: You will do the same thing because everyone does the same thing. When you hit 35 and realize that your $1000 laptop and your flexible lifestyle won't sustain you in retirement, your priorities will change. It happened to us, it happened to the Boomers, and it will happen to you.


Exactly why I've been investing in IRAs since I was 22, my 401k since I was 25 (I've been with the same company who I will retire with for 12 years), and my stock plan since I was 25. I carry no debt and if I don't have cash I don't buy unless it's a major purchase. My house has a 15 year mortgage which I added 25% to each payment and will be paid off in 3 years. My toy car is paid for, my main car I owe about 5k at 0% on as I did a massive down payment.

What the younger generation can do right now is to start a retirement plan which so many people in the past have ignored. Looking forward to 45 which is around 7 years away I can retire quite comfortably. I've had a simple rule during my life so far.. Enjoy life as I can afford today and plan for 50 where I can spend the next 30 or 40 years farking around. Either way you're going to pay for it.. Might as well be while you're young.

Who wants to be bagging groceries at 60??
 
2012-08-23 05:56:03 PM  

dofus: Do you work for Microsoft customer service? It was 2,430 years ago, give or take.


Bastardized, short-lived meme.
 
2012-08-23 05:56:23 PM  
Oh yes, you're all magical and mysterious snowflakes as confounding as the disappearance of Rome's Ninth Legion. Some day we hope to achieve the intellectual heights sufficient to truly comprehend the genius behind this facebook and twitter culture you've introduced us to.

/get over yourselves.
 
2012-08-23 05:57:51 PM  
I'm 27, gay, single, working a full-time job at about 12.20 an hour (I figure out what raises and updated benefits I get later tonight at our union meeting), trying to make something for myself by writing iPhone apps on the side.

That being said, I rent because I have no reason to own a house. I have no reason to settle down. I don't have anyone that I can partner up and spend a life with. It's not the best income in the world, but it provides insurance, benefits, free food, and four months off a year for me to invest time in my own personal projects. I'm saving up my own money into an IRA, and although I'd rather not stay long enough at my job to earn a small pension, that is still available to me as well.

So... instead of criticizing me for what I'm doing, appreciate the fact I'm trying to make out a living and grow with what I have now?
 
2012-08-23 05:58:37 PM  
Nice to know there is nothing new under the sun. And the world keeps turning.
 
2012-08-23 05:59:22 PM  

dofus: Bob_Laublaw: -Socrates, more than 100 years ago

Do you work for Microsoft customer service? It was 2,430 years ago, give or take.


What will really fry your noodle is when you realize that quote is attributed to him once mid 20th century in a pop psychology book. Not only is the year wrong, but it is something he never even said.
 
2012-08-23 06:00:27 PM  

xynix: Bob_Laublaw: I'd reckon undiscovered Amazonian tribes aren't quite as vulgur and are likely better versed in persuasive language.

The "author" tends to prove invalid points by making himself look like a douchebag. With that said I'm 38 and I've discovered that people in their mid 20s are exactly like I was when I was in my mid 20s. 10% want to make something of themselves and the other 90% biatch about not being able to "make it" and put in no real effort to do so. It was probably like that in 1912 as well.. Or in Roman days. Either way this talk of "kids today just want shiat handed to them!" is misguided as history shows that the vast majority of people in any era want shiat handed to them.


You're nuts. You're not just reading minds you're claiming you can do mass mind reading. You have no farking idea what people want.
 
2012-08-23 06:00:32 PM  

Happy Hours: ... don't talk about "millennials" any differently than they talked about gen-x or gen-y or for that matter any other generation.


You... just paraphrased a portion of the article as a criticism of the article. Did you click the link?
 
2012-08-23 06:00:53 PM  

downstairs: Yep, we're pretty much on the same page (I'm one year younger than you). I have a ton of friends in their 20s. I don't know if I'd say 90/10... but it depends on how you define "success".

A lot of my friends want to be bartenders for life. Or cooks (not aspiring to be a head chef).

I don't know... not sure what's so wrong with that.



This is America. If you aren't slitting your neighbor's throat to steal his wallet to buy a bigger TV, you ain't shiat.
 
2012-08-23 06:01:42 PM  

lockers: dofus: Bob_Laublaw: -Socrates, more than 100 years ago

Do you work for Microsoft customer service? It was 2,430 years ago, give or take.

What will really fry your noodle is when you realize that quote is attributed to him once mid 20th century in a pop psychology book. Not only is the year wrong, but it is something he never even said.


Well of course he didn't say it, he didn't even speak English, just like Latin or something, like Emilio Esteves.
 
2012-08-23 06:02:42 PM  

Happy Hours: STFU noob and get off my lawn,

You're not special and people don't talk about "millennials" any differently than they talked about gen-x or gen-y or for that matter any other generation.


Exactly. Further, most people don't talk about them at all, which is probably what really has some self-centered little tykes* -- like the near-illiterate, unoriginal f*cktard who wrote that POS blog entry -- so wound up.

*does not refer to all or even most of a particular age group
 
2012-08-23 06:05:07 PM  
I liked the article and feel the same way. Yes we have fb. So farking what. A lot of us don't use it that much after we graduate college. We don't continue to be self absorbed people and grow up like everyone else too. We just don't strive for houses or overpriced cars.

My real world experiences tell me that every generation has been the same and that others realize this. Its the damn media that can't get over it.
 
2012-08-23 06:05:08 PM  

xynix: Mentat: You will do the same thing because everyone does the same thing. When you hit 35 and realize that your $1000 laptop and your flexible lifestyle won't sustain you in retirement, your priorities will change. It happened to us, it happened to the Boomers, and it will happen to you.

Exactly why I've been investing in IRAs since I was 22, my 401k since I was 25 (I've been with the same company who I will retire with for 12 years), and my stock plan since I was 25. I carry no debt and if I don't have cash I don't buy unless it's a major purchase. My house has a 15 year mortgage which I added 25% to each payment and will be paid off in 3 years. My toy car is paid for, my main car I owe about 5k at 0% on as I did a massive down payment.

What the younger generation can do right now is to start a retirement plan which so many people in the past have ignored. Looking forward to 45 which is around 7 years away I can retire quite comfortably. I've had a simple rule during my life so far.. Enjoy life as I can afford today and plan for 50 where I can spend the next 30 or 40 years farking around. Either way you're going to pay for it.. Might as well be while you're young.

Who wants to be bagging groceries at 60??


I doubt you will be comfortably retired at 45 from working for 20 years. The logistics of the money simply don't work, unless your 'retirement' means 'working part time somewhere'. Unless you've made millions, you simply can not sock away enough money to live out another 20-40 years in 20 years of working, without adding to that income somewhere, so at best, your post is misleading.

Jubeebee: Bob_Laublaw: That's perfectly valid and understandable, but there are a lot of folks who fit that bill who haven't had the rug pulled out from them.

No doubt, but enough have that it's scared a lot of 20-somethings away. And keep in mind that a great many of us start out with $50,000+ of student loan debt. The thought of adding a mortgage on top of that before we even finish paying it off is pretty scary.

Something I have noticed is a trend toward independent contracting instead of traditional employment, as well as favoring renting/house sharing over looking for a starter home. While outright owning a home may grant you flexibility in that you have no board costs, younger people usually don't have that option. Instead, we'll take multiple small revenue streams over a regular paycheck and location independence over a fixed metro area when we can get them.


The concept of a starter home somewhat boggles my mind. My friend was looking at doing it. I understand the concept itself, but there's a mental disconnect for me, where somethings just don't line up. I suspect being 20ish during the great housing boom and recession have stained my view of homes, but for me, it's a place to live, not remotely an investment of any kind. It's like a boat; you're going to put a ton of money into it, and maintaining it, and at best, when you're done, you're going to be covered for inflation on what you paid, not some magical markup.
 
2012-08-23 06:05:21 PM  
Your blog sucks.
 
2012-08-23 06:05:29 PM  

Sticky Hands: lockers: dofus: Bob_Laublaw: -Socrates, more than 100 years ago

Do you work for Microsoft customer service? It was 2,430 years ago, give or take.

What will really fry your noodle is when you realize that quote is attributed to him once mid 20th century in a pop psychology book. Not only is the year wrong, but it is something he never even said.

Well of course he didn't say it, he didn't even speak English, just like Latin or something, like E-milio E-steves.


What is this, the late 90's? Branding things with an E became lame around the turn of the century. Please keep up, grandpa.
 
2012-08-23 06:05:42 PM  

Bob16: xynix: Bob_Laublaw: I'd reckon undiscovered Amazonian tribes aren't quite as vulgur and are likely better versed in persuasive language.

The "author" tends to prove invalid points by making himself look like a douchebag. With that said I'm 38 and I've discovered that people in their mid 20s are exactly like I was when I was in my mid 20s. 10% want to make something of themselves and the other 90% biatch about not being able to "make it" and put in no real effort to do so. It was probably like that in 1912 as well.. Or in Roman days. Either way this talk of "kids today just want shiat handed to them!" is misguided as history shows that the vast majority of people in any era want shiat handed to them.

You're nuts. You're not just reading minds you're claiming you can do mass mind reading. You have no farking idea what people want.


www.movievillains.com
 
2012-08-23 06:05:47 PM  

Jubeebee: The delivery sucked, but the sentiment is valid. With the myth of a 'permanent job' finally being debunked, and seeing our parents anchored to underwater mortgages, and hearing about pension funds and 401ks going bankrupt, it doesn't make much sense to follow in the footsteps of the generations before us. Flexibility means more to us than stability, and being debt-free means more than luxury. Our status symbols are $200 phones and $1000 laptops, not $30,000 cars and $3500,000 homes.


Do I win if I have all those things?

/owing a home is the greatest and worst thing
//30, so I think I'm in-between all these generation things
 
2012-08-23 06:05:50 PM  

Happy Hours: STFU noob and get off my lawn,

You're not special and people don't talk about "millennials" any differently than they talked about gen-x or gen-y or for that matter any other generation.


The last conversation on Millenials that I had was with a Millenial.

His opinion; "We're the most worthless generation ever".

I reminded him that the same has been said about every generation that's come before.
 
2012-08-23 06:06:05 PM  
As a 17-year-old, I'm also of the thought that buying a home, living somewhere permanently, simply doesn't make sense in this day and age, especially with the fluidity of employment that exists at the moment.

However, my outlook is admittedly heavily shaped by my spirituality, so for those who are more focused on their bank accounts than their happiness with their life's direction, I'm not sure how they're going to take it once they find themselves still paying off college debts by the age of 30.
 
2012-08-23 06:06:46 PM  

Sticky Hands: Jubeebee: Flexibility means more to us than stability, and being debt-free means more than luxury. Our status symbols are $200 phones and $1000 laptops, not $30,000 cars and $300,000 homes.

God really? y'all are that broke?


I'm a Gen-X, and I'm that broke.

/house and car are worth 1/5th that
//the car less than 1/5th
 
2012-08-23 06:07:30 PM  

Sticky Hands: lockers: dofus: Bob_Laublaw: -Socrates, more than 100 years ago

Do you work for Microsoft customer service? It was 2,430 years ago, give or take.

What will really fry your noodle is when you realize that quote is attributed to him once mid 20th century in a pop psychology book. Not only is the year wrong, but it is something he never even said.

Well of course he didn't say it, he didn't even speak English, just like Latin or something, like Emilio Esteves.


No you dummy, it was Anne Frank, the chick that was all duhhh, till the miracle worker showed up and knocked some smarts into her.
 
2012-08-23 06:08:16 PM  

xynix: Bob_Laublaw: I'd reckon undiscovered Amazonian tribes aren't quite as vulgur and are likely better versed in persuasive language.

The "author" tends to prove invalid points by making himself look like a douchebag. With that said I'm 38 and I've discovered that people in their mid 20s are exactly like I was when I was in my mid 20s. 10% want to make something of themselves and the other 90% biatch about not being able to "make it" and put in no real effort to do so. It was probably like that in 1912 as well.. Or in Roman days. Either way this talk of "kids today just want shiat handed to them!" is misguided as history shows that the vast majority of people in any era want shiat handed to them.


I am also 38 years old and I agree with this sentiment.

a decade or so ago, I stopped trying to be my father and decided to become my own man. I make beer for a living, work my ass off for decent money, I'm not a wealthy man, but I'm a happy man. The brewery has a pub attached to it and the entire wait staff is comprised of those 20 somethings. And I love all those little twits. so full of life and creativity.. they really do give me hope and inspiration.

I can understand the authers exsaberation... i went through it myself at that age. My old boss tried tounload his $200k house on me.. I told the man that I didn't make nearly enough money to afford that house, he then went on to tell me that I didn't have to and how. I then told him that was the most cockamany pile of crap I ever heard in my entire life and that I hoped people weren't actually doing that because that simply was no way to sustain a market

naw! realestate is safe!

said the man that blew his, the companies, and all our 401ks money on the tech market.

I tried to live "the american dream" according to my parents and mentors back then... it didn't work out.


find a thing you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life... find a way to make money off it? all the better. enjoy and live your life.
 
2012-08-23 06:08:54 PM  

YodaBlues: Sticky Hands: lockers: dofus: Bob_Laublaw: -Socrates, more than 100 years ago

Do you work for Microsoft customer service? It was 2,430 years ago, give or take.

What will really fry your noodle is when you realize that quote is attributed to him once mid 20th century in a pop psychology book. Not only is the year wrong, but it is something he never even said.

Well of course he didn't say it, he didn't even speak English, just like Latin or something, like Emilio Esteves.

No you dummy, it was Anne Frank, the chick that was all duhhh, till the miracle worker showed up and knocked some smarts into her.


well if she got knocked up then she must have enjoyed it on some level.
I wonder if there is a video.
 
2012-08-23 06:09:38 PM  
I'm no anthropologist, but I'm pretty sure Amazon tribes don't give out participation trophies.
 
2012-08-23 06:09:39 PM  
It's the new indentured servitude. Blanket yourself in massive debt so that you have to work for any spare pennies you can find so that you can hope to remove a part of that blanket some decades from now. Pfsh. I wonder what sort of career I should indenture myself towards.
 
2012-08-23 06:12:30 PM  

downstairs: xynix: Bob_Laublaw: I'd reckon undiscovered Amazonian tribes aren't quite as vulgur and are likely better versed in persuasive language.

The "author" tends to prove invalid points by making himself look like a douchebag. With that said I'm 38 and I've discovered that people in their mid 20s are exactly like I was when I was in my mid 20s. 10% want to make something of themselves and the other 90% biatch about not being able to "make it" and put in no real effort to do so. It was probably like that in 1912 as well.. Or in Roman days. Either way this talk of "kids today just want shiat handed to them!" is misguided as history shows that the vast majority of people in any era want shiat handed to them.


Yep, we're pretty much on the same page (I'm one year younger than you).  I have a ton of friends in their 20s.  I don't know if I'd say 90/10... but it depends on how you define "success". 
 
A lot of my friends want to be bartenders for life.  Or cooks (not aspiring to be a head chef).
 
I don't know... not sure what's so wrong with that.


There is nothing wrong with that. "Success" is a moving target that changes depending on what your goals are in life. If you can do without luxuries and what you love most is taking drunk chicks back to your studio apartment...then bartender just may be the perfect job.

If you want a family, or want to own expensive toys, well then bartending ain't gonna cut it.
 
2012-08-23 06:12:33 PM  
Call us "snowflakes" all you want. Everyone else calls you (Boomers) SCUMBAGS.
 
2012-08-23 06:13:06 PM  

The Stealth Hippopotamus: farking whippersnappers shut up and pay the my debt.

 
2012-08-23 06:14:46 PM  
WOW that was a lot of whining. Granted, young people today are getting screwed by the student loan industry which jacked up the cost of a higher education.... but hell, if god wanted poor people to go to college, he would have given them rich parents.

Obama 2012.

But still, quit your biatching and man up, nancy. Life's tough all over.
 
2012-08-23 06:14:59 PM  

ScotterOtter: I'm no anthropologist, but I'm pretty sure Amazon tribes don't give out participation trophies.


they sure do!
upload.wikimedia.org
 
2012-08-23 06:15:02 PM  
That's what Gen X asked for too, and we were called slackers and deviants for it. Welcome to the club, kids.
 
Displayed 50 of 240 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »
Advertisement
On Twitter






In Other Media


  1. Links are submitted by members of the Fark community.

  2. When community members submit a link, they also write a custom headline for the story.

  3. Other Farkers comment on the links. This is the number of comments. Click here to read them.

  4. Click here to submit a link.

Report