If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Russia Today)   Health officials in the Congo insist that the country's latest Ebola outbreak is "under control," even as nine people died from it this past weekend   (rt.com) divider line 65
    More: Followup, ebola, Congo, Doctors Without Borders, German newspapers, outbreaks, Ebola outbreak, Congolese, World Health Organization  
•       •       •

1848 clicks; posted to Main » on 20 Aug 2012 at 5:07 PM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



65 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all
 
2012-08-20 02:49:45 PM
Dustin Hoffman unavailable for comment
 
2012-08-20 03:05:26 PM
That's how you control Ebola. Lock the place down and let everyone inside die.
 
2012-08-20 05:09:07 PM
 
2012-08-20 05:09:31 PM
By under control subby, do you mean 9 people stopped complaining?
 
2012-08-20 05:10:31 PM
Did they shut down everything yet?
 
2012-08-20 05:10:40 PM
So 9 people out of 70 million died?
Must be an epidemic.
 
2012-08-20 05:11:22 PM

The Stealth Hippopotamus: That's how you control Ebola. Lock the place down and let everyone inside die.


Actually, you don't even need to lock the place down. Turns out that its deadliness is actually somehwat beneficial from an epidemiological perspective. It's self-regulatory. Everyone dies so quickly that there is little chance for the disease to spread very far.
 
2012-08-20 05:11:24 PM
Yay another Ebola thread!
 
2012-08-20 05:12:58 PM

caramba421: The Stealth Hippopotamus: That's how you control Ebola. Lock the place down and let everyone inside die.

Actually, you don't even need to lock the place down. Turns out that its deadliness is actually somehwat beneficial from an epidemiological perspective. It's self-regulatory. Everyone dies so quickly that there is little chance for the disease to spread very far.



Like restaurant salad bars.....
 
2012-08-20 05:14:14 PM
"Baghdad press officer.jpg"

or

"Kevin Bacon Animal House.jpg"

hmmm
 
2012-08-20 05:16:20 PM
For that region that is "under control"
 
2012-08-20 05:19:59 PM

caramba421: Actually, you don't even need to lock the place down. Turns out that its deadliness is actually somehwat beneficial from an epidemiological perspective. It's self-regulatory. Everyone dies so quickly that there is little chance for the disease to spread very far.


Little chance for it to spread very far when a mule is considered mass transit. Spritz a bit o' infected monkey serum around the departure gates of Heathrow and you've got the makings for a great movie. Assuming the long-term survivors get electricity going again at some point.
 
2012-08-20 05:20:16 PM
Iraq_information_minister.jpg
 
2012-08-20 05:20:48 PM
I often post on Africa threads about how all of Africa isn't the same. It's not all poverty, disease, and war. Congo however pretty much sets the standard for bad things in Africa.

/Still might go early next year
//Where else can you camp next to an active volcano and see three types of gorillas in their natural habitat?

Fun fact: The cdc giftshop sells ebola... well, the plush kind you can also get from thinkgeek.
 
2012-08-20 05:21:51 PM
Deaths don't matter. They were already going to die days if not weeks ago. It is new infections that count. If there are no new infections, then it is under control.
 
2012-08-20 05:22:09 PM
What does President Madagascar have to say about it?
 
2012-08-20 05:25:04 PM

SockMonkeyHolocaust: For that region that is "under control"


Sort of already happened. A doctor in Gabon realized he contracted ebola so he hopped on a plane to South Africa for treatment. Obviously he couldn't tell anyone what was wrong because they wouldn't have treated him to anything but an isolated jail cell until he died. He recovered but one of the nurses treating him wasn't so lucky and died. Being a relatively large transportation hub, it was lucky that no one else was infected.
 
2012-08-20 05:26:08 PM

joeshlabotnik: Tens Of Thousands Dead In Ongoing Africa


www.meh.ro

/window seat, plz
 
2012-08-20 05:26:48 PM
There's a Homolka joke in there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet
 
2012-08-20 05:27:48 PM

cefm: What does President Madagascar have to say about it?


Exactly, send some of the infected over there before it's too late.
 
2012-08-20 05:28:23 PM
Dr. Albert Schweitzer, organist, philosopher, and physician, who was awarded the Nobel Prize for his lifelong humanitarian services to Africa referred to his dying day that the people of the Congo were 'Les Sauvages.'
 
2012-08-20 05:31:24 PM

whither_apophis: "Baghdad press officer.jpg"

or

"Kevin Bacon Animal House.jpg"

hmmm


Is it sad that those are first two things I thought of?
 
2012-08-20 05:31:43 PM

bhcompy: There's a Homolka joke in there somewhere, but I haven't found it yet


the crazy biatch from Canada?
 
2012-08-20 05:33:34 PM
Keeping count = under control?
 
2012-08-20 05:41:07 PM

joeshlabotnik: Tens Of Thousands Dead In Ongoing Africa


For more Truth in Onion, see: Ugandan Powerball Jackpot Hits 31 Grains Of Rice
 
2012-08-20 05:41:54 PM
Gloria Estefan is inconsolable

.
 
2012-08-20 05:43:34 PM
Screw watching "Outbreak". Just read this...

img707.imageshack.us
 
2012-08-20 05:44:11 PM
Black peoples problems.
 
2012-08-20 05:47:07 PM

miltonbabbitt: Screw watching "Outbreak". Just read this...

[img707.imageshack.us image 563x672]


That book was horrifying.

/read it in high school for a book report
//gave me nightmares
 
2012-08-20 05:50:04 PM

miltonbabbitt: Screw watching "Outbreak". Just read this...

[img707.imageshack.us image 563x672]


Had to read that in high school, and I absolutely recommend it. The first part of it especially, where it goes into detail about what the virus is doing to this guy was a real page-turner.
 
2012-08-20 05:52:18 PM
Just refrain from farking baboons, and your risk is just about zero on this.
 
2012-08-20 05:54:52 PM
Hasa diga eebowai
 
2012-08-20 05:55:52 PM
i.ytimg.com
The ghost tribe has several levels of "dead." Someone's not dead until they're completely "dead."
 
2012-08-20 05:58:56 PM
So we can mobilize an army the instant we think a country MIGHT have WMDs, but we can't mobilize more than a few medics to prevent an outbreak that could literally wipe out a great deal of our world with one mutation to a more airborne virus? Honestly, ebola is a terrifying prospect.
 
2012-08-20 06:01:06 PM

sage37: So 9 people out of 70 million died?
Must be an epidemic.


That^^
 
2012-08-20 06:03:05 PM

Cantankerous Gnome: miltonbabbitt: Screw watching "Outbreak". Just read this...

[img707.imageshack.us image 563x672]

Had to read that in high school, and I absolutely recommend it. The first part of it especially, where it goes into detail about what the virus is doing to this guy was a real page-turner.


The only thing about the book that annoyed me is when he would guess at what various people were thinking, and for a non fiction book he did that a lot. Like with the guy in the first chapter, no one would have any idea what the guy thought as he was with his girlfriend or when the virus got worse on his airplane ride. Otherwise it's a great book.
 
2012-08-20 06:06:52 PM
I will motivate you, Private Pyle. IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!!!!
 
2012-08-20 06:07:33 PM
Slartibeerfest: Yay another Ebola thread!

Don't worry! We'll have the inevitable rush of people telling us how realistic "The Hot Zone" and Outbreak was, and how we should all be panicking right now because THEY ARE LIEING TO US.
 
2012-08-20 06:09:20 PM

farkingismybusiness: [i.ytimg.com image 480x360]
The ghost tribe has several levels of "dead." Someone's not dead until they're completely "dead."


Screw sharks with frickin' lasers, I want the Congo Laser Monkeys from that film.
 
2012-08-20 06:12:32 PM

joeshlabotnik: Tens Of Thousands Dead In Ongoing Africa


Yup, I'm going to hell.
 
2012-08-20 06:23:19 PM
I met her in a club down in old Congo
Where you drink champagne
It tastes just like Ebola, E-B-O-la
 
2012-08-20 06:23:21 PM

Somaticasual: So we can mobilize an army the instant we think a country MIGHT have WMDs, but we can't mobilize more than a few medics to prevent an outbreak that could literally wipe out a great deal of our world with one mutation to a more airborne virus? Honestly, ebola is a terrifying prospect.


Besides sterilizing the entire area with fresh, cleansing nuclear fusion - what, exactly, do you expect people to do?

The natural reservoir has not been identified, and having a bunch of people who know dick-all about the area wander the jungle is a good way to find it the hard way and kick off the pandemic you're wetting yourself over.

Besides basic research - which I believe is ongoing - there doesn't appear to be a lot that can be done.

Well, I'm sure we can find something flashy that looks good for the camera.
 
2012-08-20 06:28:32 PM
ebola isn't really a 'pandemic' type disease, it's too difficult to spread
 
2012-08-20 06:36:18 PM

tooeasy: ebola isn't really a 'pandemic' type disease, it's too difficult to spread


Yet it's still really farking scary, like rabies.
 
2012-08-20 06:42:09 PM
lh6.googleusercontent.com


/i expected more from ebola
//what a funny sounding word
 
2012-08-20 06:45:06 PM
www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com
 
2012-08-20 06:46:58 PM
Quick question: Is it basically luck* and geography that has prevented Ebola from spreading to that other bastion of origin of Humanity's Bad Diseases, China?

*Luck being "you'll die before you get there."
 
2012-08-20 06:49:10 PM
Holy shiat, I happen to be reading "The Hot Zone" right now. The front of the book claims it is a "terrifying true story."

The book makes Ebola and the other similar diseases sound scary as shiat, and they are, but I can't help but think that if Ebola was that frigging easy to transmit, we'd all be dead by now. Well, 90% of us would be dead, the other 10% would be living in a post-apocalyptic hellscape covered with bloody, oozing corpses.
 
2012-08-20 06:55:35 PM

Smelly Pirate Hooker: Holy shiat, I happen to be reading "The Hot Zone" right now. The front of the book claims it is a "terrifying true story."

The book makes Ebola and the other similar diseases sound scary as shiat, and they are, but I can't help but think that if Ebola was that frigging easy to transmit, we'd all be dead by now. Well, 90% of us would be dead, the other 10% would be living in a post-apocalyptic hellscape covered with bloody, oozing corpses.


The thing about Ebola is, it's a virus and viruses are prone to mutation. It just needs to mutate to an airborne form then we are all very screwed. The only reason it is easy to contain as is because of the difficulty of transmission
 
2012-08-20 06:58:40 PM

Nexzus: Quick question: Is it basically luck* and geography that has prevented Ebola from spreading to that other bastion of origin of Humanity's Bad Diseases, China?

*Luck being "you'll die before you get there."


I think it's more "nobody knows exactly what the vector is, but it's nestled deep in the African bush so it's hard to spread it elsewhere"

Smelly Pirate Hooker: Holy shiat, I happen to be reading "The Hot Zone" right now. The front of the book claims it is a "terrifying true story."

The book makes Ebola and the other similar diseases sound scary as shiat, and they are, but I can't help but think that if Ebola was that frigging easy to transmit, we'd all be dead by now. Well, 90% of us would be dead, the other 10% would be living in a post-apocalyptic hellscape covered with bloody, oozing corpses.


I think only the Zaire strain is that deadly, with the other strains having much lower mortality rates(still high, but not scorched earth)
 
Displayed 50 of 65 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report