If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(Some Guy)   Aurora shooting victim was born with a benign defect that allowed a bullet to travel all the way through her brain without causing any damage   (bstrait.wordpress.com) divider line 115
    More: Cool, shotgun shells, surgical team, Andersons, Best Wishes, brain tissue, Holiday Inn  
•       •       •

16101 clicks; posted to Main » on 23 Jul 2012 at 11:46 AM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



115 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all
 
2012-07-23 09:56:01 AM
Fascinating. Survivor's Guilt's going to be a biatch though I bet.

/When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
 
2012-07-23 10:46:37 AM
She was born blonde?
 
2012-07-23 11:47:37 AM

Bonkthat_Again: She was born blonde?


Done in two.
 
2012-07-23 11:48:16 AM

Bonkthat_Again: She was born blonde?


img.photobucket.com
 
2012-07-23 11:48:53 AM

Bonkthat_Again: She was born blonde?


I was going to something something about the Politics Tab, but it looks like I'm all out of bait.
 
2012-07-23 11:50:50 AM
Scientists say that we only use 10% of our brain. That leaves 90% available for a high velocity bullet backstop. No miracle here!
 
2012-07-23 11:51:27 AM
"Benign defect" recently upgraded to "super power."

Although I can only imagine that it will still hurt like a sonofab*tch for a long time; getting shot anywhere hurts like crazy and takes a long time to heal.
 
2012-07-23 11:53:21 AM
Shotguns fire bullets now? Holy shiat.
 
2012-07-23 11:53:29 AM
She's an Obamacrat?
 
2012-07-23 11:53:35 AM
The bullet hit her skull at an angle that allowed it to pass right through the small hole without hitting anything else? That is an impossible level of luck bordering on divine intervention.
 
2012-07-23 11:53:51 AM

apachevoyeur: Scientists say that we only use 10% of our brain. That leaves 90% available for a high velocity bullet backstop. No miracle here!


The "10% of the brain" line is a myth:

Linky pops
 
2012-07-23 11:54:05 AM
I was going to go with "born a GOP", but born blonde works for me.
 
2012-07-23 11:54:39 AM
The lack of a Y chromosome?
 
2012-07-23 11:56:02 AM
Holy crap that is incredibly lucky. I haven't even heard about such a defect.

/Yes I know this is fark and we should be mocking it but it's still too early by even our standards.
 
2012-07-23 11:56:07 AM
I see all the good jokes are already taken. Carry on.
 
2012-07-23 12:01:38 PM
Wow, you'd think there would be more coverage of Jenny McCarthy being there.
 
2012-07-23 12:01:56 PM
I am also intrigued by the 'bullet from a shotgun' scenario.
 
2012-07-23 12:02:04 PM

Bonkthat_Again: She was born blonde?


It says benign defect.
 
2012-07-23 12:02:23 PM

mcsestretch: apachevoyeur: Scientists say that we only use 10% of our brain. That leaves 90% available for a high velocity bullet backstop. No miracle here!

The "10% of the brain" line is a myth:

Linky pops


Interesting, but I've done the "math". If the average brain is capable of more than 38 thousand trillion operations per second*, and holds approximately 3,584 terabytes of memory*, then based upon the results of the last standardized test I completed... 10% may be overstated.

*http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm?id=computers-have-a- l ot-to-learn-from-2009-03-10
 
2012-07-23 12:02:58 PM
j.wigflip.com
 
2012-07-23 12:04:07 PM

Grapple: Shotguns fire bullets now? Holy shiat.


I think that's a mistake in the article; I wondered about that myself. If it was a shotgun pellet it wouldn't have had much penetrating power. You can buy bullets for shotguns (for deerhunting) but they're huge. I'm guessing she was hit with a bullet from the AR-15.
 
2012-07-23 12:04:09 PM
Evolution is amazing, isn't it?
 
2012-07-23 12:05:50 PM
Thank god a madman slaughtered a dozen innocents, and missed the one i know. Its a miracle! Sheesh.
 
2012-07-23 12:06:31 PM

Sensei Can You See: I'm guessing she was hit with a bullet from the AR-15.


Or one of the handguns. All those rounds downrange in just a few minutes, he had to be swapping weapons on the fly.
 
2012-07-23 12:16:30 PM

BronyMedic: Evolution is amazing, isn't it?


?
 
2012-07-23 12:16:49 PM

Bonkthat_Again: She was born blonde?



According to the pictures with the article, yes she was.
bstrait.files.wordpress.com

But she got over it.
bstrait.files.wordpress.com
 
2012-07-23 12:17:20 PM

chopit: Thank god a madman slaughtered a dozen innocents, and missed the one i know. Its a miracle! Sheesh.


1.) He was happy she survived.
2.) The gunman didn't miss. That was the point of the story...

=/

/WHY SO SERIOUS?
 
2012-07-23 12:18:25 PM
I wish the miracle had been that the killer was struck dead with a heart attack the second he entered the theatre.
 
2012-07-23 12:20:27 PM

Sensei Can You See: e; I wondered about that myself. If it was a shotgun pellet it wouldn't have had much penetrating power. You can buy bullets for shotguns (for deerhunting) but they're huge. I'm guessing she was hit with a bullet from the AR-15.


Late in the article it says this:

"But in Petra's case, the shotgun buck shot, maybe even the size used for deer hunting, enters her brain from the exact point of this defect."

So I'm guessing the author just mixed up pellets and bullets and she was actually hit with a pellet.
 
2012-07-23 12:21:11 PM
Grapple:

Shotguns fire bullets now? Holy shiat.

FOUR of them too: "Petra was hit four times with a shot-gun blast, three shots into her arm and one bullet which entered her brain."

Somebody please tell this guy that shotguns fire shells consisting of shot.

(And I'm glad that one Farkster can think without my help.)
 
2012-07-23 12:21:27 PM

Fluid: The bullet hit her skull at an angle that allowed it to pass right through the small hole without hitting anything else? That is an impossible level of luck bordering on divine intervention.


The "divine" I have seen demonstrated, is not that good.

Go with the winner, random chance x human will to survive!
 
2012-07-23 12:21:33 PM

Fluid: The bullet hit her skull at an angle that allowed it to pass right through the small hole without hitting anything else? That is an impossible level of luck bordering on divine intervention.


Which would be SO cool except it doesn't exist.

Great job live, human doctors.
 
2012-07-23 12:21:47 PM
i2.cdn.turner.com
images.wikia.com
 
2012-07-23 12:23:19 PM
Fluid:

The bullet hit her skull at an angle that allowed it to pass right through the small hole without hitting anything else? That is an impossible level of luck bordering on divine intervention.

There is no divinity to intervene. Luck is a matter of mathematics, not metaphysics.
 
2012-07-23 12:25:18 PM
Obviously a Republican
 
2012-07-23 12:25:38 PM

The One True TheDavid: Fluid:

The bullet hit her skull at an angle that allowed it to pass right through the small hole without hitting anything else? That is an impossible level of luck bordering on divine intervention.

There is no divinity to intervene. Luck is a matter of mathematics, not metaphysics.


And physics. Bullets, like water, take the path of least resistance.
 
2012-07-23 12:26:53 PM
God works in mysterious ways, ask Bevits.
 
2012-07-23 12:29:00 PM

The One True TheDavid: Somebody please tell this guy that shotguns fire shells consisting of shot.


That's not the only thing they can fire. There are also sabot slugs, grape shot and magnum slugs, among other variations. Here's a Remington slug. Most of them weigh about an ounce:

encrypted-tbn0.google.com
 
2012-07-23 12:30:28 PM
"But in Petra's case, the shotgun buck shot, maybe even the size used for deer hunting, enters her brain from the exact point of this defect. Like a marble through a small tube, the defect channels the bullet from Petra's nose through her brain. It turns slightly several times, and comes to rest at the rear of her brain. And in the process, the bullet misses all the vital areas of the brain. In many ways, it almost misses the brain itself. Like a giant BB though a straw created in Petra's brain before she was born, it follows the route of the defect. It is channeled in the least harmful way."

Yeah, he confused "bullet" with "pellet" (or "shot").

And got all excited about this "miracle" because he "serve[s] as Senior Pastor of Cherry Creek Presbyterian Church (EPC) in Englewood, Colorado."

I wonder if he's ever found the face of Jesus in a slice of pizza?
 
2012-07-23 12:30:57 PM

Khakimonkey: Obviously a Republican


I would like to take this moment to say, this partisan bullchit ain't funny any more.

Divide and Conquer via GOP vs. DFL has successfully FUBARED this country to the point of collapse.

We desperately need a WAR on POLITICS.
When Partisanship is outlawed, Partisans will be criminals, or sumptin bushy like that.
 
2012-07-23 12:34:23 PM
Wouldn't suprise me if the shooter also has a brain benign defect.
 
2012-07-23 12:35:21 PM

snocone: The One True TheDavid: Fluid:

The bullet hit her skull at an angle that allowed it to pass right through the small hole without hitting anything else? That is an impossible level of luck bordering on divine intervention.

There is no divinity to intervene. Luck is a matter of mathematics, not metaphysics.

And physics. Bullets, like water, take the path of least resistance.


Apparently shotgun pellets do too. But it must have had very little force behind it by then to have taken that path, unless this "tube" in her brain was made of some NASA alloy.

How common is this birth defect anyway? Had anybody else even heard of it before? (Does Fark have a neurologist on staff too?)
 
2012-07-23 12:35:46 PM
I don't see how anyone can attribute her survival to divine intervention. For all we know god wanted her dead and those buttinsky doctors ruined everything. Or is everything that happens the result of divine will? That opens up a whole new can of nightcrawlers.
 
2012-07-23 12:36:18 PM

Sensei Can You See: The One True TheDavid: Somebody please tell this guy that shotguns fire shells consisting of shot.

That's not the only thing they can fire. There are also sabot slugs, grape shot and magnum slugs, among other variations. Here's a Remington slug. Most of them weigh about an ounce:

[encrypted-tbn0.google.com image 280x180]


24.media.tumblr.com

And smart grenades.
 
2012-07-23 12:37:34 PM

Sensei Can You See: The One True TheDavid: Somebody please tell this guy that shotguns fire shells consisting of shot.

That's not the only thing they can fire. There are also sabot slugs, grape shot and magnum slugs, among other variations. Here's a Remington slug. Most of them weigh about an ounce:

[encrypted-tbn0.google.com image 280x180]


I stand corrected. But none of these things are bullets, properly speaking.

Words have meanings.
 
2012-07-23 12:38:38 PM
FTFA:
In Christianity we call it prevenient grace: God working ahead of time for a particular event in the future. It's just like the God I follow to plan the route of a bullet through a brain long before Batman ever rises. Twenty-two years before.

Why did she get a defect that helped her survive and 12 others got no similar defect? Surely god, in his omniscience, saw exactly who would and would not be at the theater...

/gotta love the made up words though
 
2012-07-23 12:43:37 PM

Sensei Can You See: I'm guessing she was hit with a bullet from the AR-15 AK-47.


ftfy
 
2012-07-23 12:45:35 PM

The One True TheDavid: Sensei Can You See: The One True TheDavid: Somebody please tell this guy that shotguns fire shells consisting of shot.

That's not the only thing they can fire. There are also sabot slugs, grape shot and magnum slugs, among other variations. Here's a Remington slug. Most of them weigh about an ounce:

[encrypted-tbn0.google.com image 280x180]

I stand corrected. But none of these things are bullets, properly speaking.

Words have meanings.


Uh, that most certainly IS a bullet. It's a one-piece lead slug mounted in a cartridge and propelled by powder and a center-fired primer. The only difference is its size.
 
2012-07-23 12:45:44 PM

Bonkthat_Again: She was born blonde?


How about Fark Independant?
 
2012-07-23 12:45:48 PM
In our society such a mutation would definitely have an advantage.

/ Just pray to God she never turns into a ZOMBIE!
 
Displayed 50 of 115 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report