If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(CBS News)   Rich people have to save money for nice things too   (cbsnews.com) divider line 8
    More: Cool, Larry Ellison, Oracle, America's Cup, luxury resort, Redwood City, Abercrombie, software company, asking prices  
•       •       •

11898 clicks; posted to Main » on 21 Jun 2012 at 4:47 AM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



Voting Results (Smartest)
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


Archived thread
2012-06-21 08:47:23 AM
1 votes:
4.bp.blogspot.com

Approves.
2012-06-21 08:14:03 AM
1 votes:
Both the green guys in one thread, idk why that bugs me so much. Almost enough to put both of you on ignore, but ive never put anyone on ignore.
2012-06-21 05:22:42 AM
1 votes:
Life is so absurd. The giant corporations destroy and pollute the world while their leaders maintain footholds in pristine environments, where the peasants are forbidden to tread.
Regulations cut into profit and are unnecessary, but they certainly wouldn't live where their companies operate.
2012-06-21 05:21:42 AM
1 votes:
GeneralJim: It makes for a wild gamble. You get a cheap house if the owner renews the lease, or lose whatever you put into buying the house if the owner does not renew.

Interesting,

I just looked up room prices at the four seasons. Cheapest room I found was $550/night.

Then it went up to around $2300 / night before they stopped giving prices for the rooms (IE. "call to book _this_ room).

// I'm guessing hotels and the like have long term leases with good legal protection. To prevent someone from yoinking them.
2012-06-21 05:18:10 AM
1 votes:
DYI:
Do the people that live on the island not own the property or homes they live on? If they do, how can he purchase the land out from under them?

If they don't, do they have to pay him rent?

Note that he bought the land from Castle & Cook. One owner. 2% of the island is owed, fee simple, primarily by the homeowners. That 2% is in towns, for the most part. The other 98% was owned by C&C.

But, many people in Hawai'i do not own the land upon which their house sits. They lease it. The leases do not HAVE to be renewed, although they generally are. When the lease term gets short, house prices drop, because the land owner might have other ideas for the use of the land, and whatever is on the land reverts to the owner if the lease expires un-renewed.

It makes for a wild gamble. You get a cheap house if the owner renews the lease, or lose whatever you put into buying the house if the owner does not renew.
2012-06-21 05:13:11 AM
1 votes:
DYI: If they don't, do they have to pay him rent?

Sounds like it's a lot of resorts, so leases I guess.

So he gets to live there rent free, and collects rent money from lesser rich folks.
2012-06-21 05:08:56 AM
1 votes:
that guy's face just screams "beat the everliving shiat out of me".
2012-06-21 04:54:26 AM
1 votes:
I don't see the point in buying an island that has thousands of people living on it. I thought that the point of buying an island was for the isolation.
 
Displayed 8 of 8 comments

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report