If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(WPTV)   Comedy Central takes Colbert Report off the air "due to unforeseen circumstances"   (wptv.com) divider line 240
    More: Asinine, Colbert Report, Comedy Central  
•       •       •

22932 clicks; posted to Entertainment » on 16 Feb 2012 at 3:44 PM (2 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



240 Comments   (+0 »)
   
View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | » | Last | Show all
 
2012-02-16 05:41:20 PM  

Bungles: From the WSJ story comments by a random internet poster. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.


FTFY

Seriously, I could create an account named 'Mike Colbert' and say the exact same thing here (in 6 hours).

Let's wait for a reputable source to report it.
 
2012-02-16 05:42:43 PM  
He looked tired.

/you people are slipping
 
2012-02-16 05:43:16 PM  

ajt167: Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.

I can't find that anywhere. Link?




Link (new window)


There's no sort of confirmation of the veracity beyond that post (and a few people doubting it).


Hopefully just an asshat.
 
2012-02-16 05:43:46 PM  

Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.


Mike Colbert wrote:
Sorry. To clarify... my aunt-in-law. More details at my twitter feed


Because when people have a family tragedy, the first place they turn to are WSJ blogs and Twitter.
 
2012-02-16 05:45:17 PM  

ihatebuttsex: Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.

Holy crap. I hope that's not true.


That sort of thing I would imagine have become public knowledge by now if true. Fatal crashes tend to receive a lot of attention.
 
2012-02-16 05:45:46 PM  

ajt167: Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.

I can't find that anywhere. Link?


It's in the comments. (new window)
 
2012-02-16 05:46:02 PM  

scottydoesntknow: Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.

Mike Colbert wrote:
Sorry. To clarify... my aunt-in-law. More details at my twitter feed

Because when people have a family tragedy, the first place they turn to are WSJ blogs and Twitter.




Although hopefully it's nonsense, her nephew would, presumably, be a late teen child, so not exactly radically unlikely.
 
2012-02-16 05:46:11 PM  
current possible reasons for this:

1) he's dead jim
2) some figured out that he isnt a republican
3) arrested for touching young children


and then I read that maybe his mom died ...
bah
so much less funny
 
2012-02-16 05:46:20 PM  
The Dalai Lama hasn't tweeted today yet either... coincidence?!
 
2012-02-16 05:51:06 PM  

Bungles: scottydoesntknow: Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.

Mike Colbert wrote:
Sorry. To clarify... my aunt-in-law. More details at my twitter feed

Because when people have a family tragedy, the first place they turn to are WSJ blogs and Twitter.



Although hopefully it's nonsense, her nephew would, presumably, be a late teen child, so not exactly radically unlikely.


Well I did a search of 'Michael Colbert Twitter' and the only advertised Michael Colbert on Twitter is a porn star (at least I assume so, he's got @BelladonnaENT & #avnawards on there).

99.9% sure he's trolling everyone.
 
2012-02-16 05:52:15 PM  
Fact. Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Bees.
 
2012-02-16 05:53:40 PM  
Where is Kilborn? This is his opportunity to Leno his way back to the top.
 
2012-02-16 05:54:02 PM  

scottydoesntknow: Bungles: scottydoesntknow: Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.

Mike Colbert wrote:
Sorry. To clarify... my aunt-in-law. More details at my twitter feed

Because when people have a family tragedy, the first place they turn to are WSJ blogs and Twitter.



Although hopefully it's nonsense, her nephew would, presumably, be a late teen child, so not exactly radically unlikely.

Well I did a search of 'Michael Colbert Twitter' and the only advertised Michael Colbert on Twitter is a porn star (at least I assume so, he's got @BelladonnaENT & #avnawards on there).

99.9% sure he's trolling everyone.




Anyone with a subscription with ancestry.com could solve this pretty quickly....
 
2012-02-16 05:57:44 PM  
 
2012-02-16 05:59:00 PM  

psychoace: Where is Kilborn? This is his opportunity to Leno his way back to the top.


Battlestar Galactica?
 
2012-02-16 06:00:40 PM  

brantgoose: I'm sorry to hear about his Mom. IIRC, he's one of something like twelve children.

Despite his egotistical schtick, he is a very private individual, shy behind his comedian's persona, very proper and WASP, and unlikely to make a public display of a private family or personal matter.


.....except for that he is Catholic. You do know what the P stands for in that acronym, yes?
 
2012-02-16 06:03:29 PM  

Vaguely Racist Lawn Ornament: psychoace: Where is Kilborn? This is his opportunity to Leno his way back to the top.

Battlestar Galactica?


Craig Kilborn (new window)Troll
 
2012-02-16 06:05:16 PM  

Bungles: ajt167: Bungles: From the WSJ story. Hopefully this is a joke

Mike Colbert wrote:
My aunt, Stephen's wife, was killed in a car crash yesterday afternoon. More details to come.

I can't find that anywhere. Link?

Hopefully just an asshat.


Republican humor...
 
2012-02-16 06:06:12 PM  

psychoace: Vaguely Racist Lawn Ornament: psychoace: Where is Kilborn? This is his opportunity to Leno his way back to the top.

Battlestar Galactica?

Craig Kilborn (new window)Troll


Yeah, I clicked "" on the wrong person. Meant to hit the one above you re: bears beets bees.
 
2012-02-16 06:14:08 PM  
I googled "Colbert mom" and she's 91 and either very sick or dead. Also found out Gary Carter died today
 
2012-02-16 06:18:52 PM  
"Amateur."
i144.photobucket.com
 
2012-02-16 06:19:22 PM  

GranoblasticMan: brigid_fitch: Stephen Colbert has suspended production of his satirical comedy show temporarily because of an emergency in Mr. Colbert's family, according to people familiar with the show. (new window)

Guy definitely deserves a break, then... I just wish Comedy Central said "due to personal reasons" or something like that instead of the ever-so-helpful "unforeseen circumstances."


Well, in their defense, most people don't foresee their mother dropping dead. I get what you're saying. They could've worded it better.
 
2012-02-16 06:20:38 PM  
The classy thing to do would have been to replace it with a Chapelle Show repeat...
or is that what this is?
 
2012-02-16 06:35:56 PM  

Vaguely Racist Lawn Ornament: psychoace: Vaguely Racist Lawn Ornament: psychoace: Where is Kilborn? This is his opportunity to Leno his way back to the top.

Battlestar Galactica?

Craig Kilborn (new window)Troll

Yeah, I clicked "" on the wrong person. Meant to hit the one above you re: bears beets bees.


Ah now I feel lonely that no one wants to read my post :( you're a terrible troll
 
2012-02-16 06:36:43 PM  

Calmamity: Rich Cream: netizencain: Can't Jay Leno just step in?


Step in what?

A bee pit.


Or a dog pit with with dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you!
 
2012-02-16 06:39:08 PM  
I Say Bill Hicks should step in while he's gone...

/damn you cancer!!!
 
2012-02-16 06:43:07 PM  
Time for The Carell Corral!

Also, the "Personal Reasons" comment has been abused too much by celebs to mean "Rehab and/or jail".
 
2012-02-16 06:45:05 PM  
2sistersblog.com
 
2012-02-16 06:48:13 PM  

psychoace: Vaguely Racist Lawn Ornament: psychoace: Vaguely Racist Lawn Ornament: psychoace: Where is Kilborn? This is his opportunity to Leno his way back to the top.

Battlestar Galactica?

Craig Kilborn (new window)Troll

Yeah, I clicked "" on the wrong person. Meant to hit the one above you re: bears beets bees.

Ah now I feel lonely that no one wants to read my post :( you're a terrible troll


Sorry. =(
 
2012-02-16 06:50:19 PM  

Churchy LaFemme: Republican humor...


There is no such thing.
 
2012-02-16 06:50:46 PM  
Jeez. No wonder the guy can weep on a dime. DC-9-31, N8481E.

I'ld rather he'd been on his boat.
 
2012-02-16 06:52:39 PM  
I'm surprised the media hasn't verified the death of whichever family member it is, whether it's his mother (most likely) or his wife or what.

I've already seen several articles about the show being off-air. But if it's a death, the media should be reporting that.
 
2012-02-16 06:53:04 PM  

MeinRS6: "He wants to spend more time with his family" is always innocent enough sounding.


Are you implying something you likely wouldn't if the entertainer or politician in question was a conservative? Serious question. Because if you are, making that remark about a guy who lost a loved one is kind the ultimate partisan dickbaggery. It's downright childish.

I wouldn't make such a flippant remark about Limbaugh taking the week off to tend to his family. Would you show up to that thread, too?
 
2012-02-16 06:58:24 PM  

Mike Chewbacca: Calmamity: Rich Cream: netizencain: Can't Jay Leno just step in?


Step in what?

A bee pit.

Or a dog pit with with dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you!


That hurt like hell.
 
2012-02-16 06:59:26 PM  

shivashakti: I'm surprised the media hasn't verified the death of whichever family member it is, whether it's his mother (most likely) or his wife or what.

I've already seen several articles about the show being off-air. But if it's a death, the media should be reporting that.


I'm not too surprised because, as several commenters have already pointed out, Colbert in the past has been very withholding (publicly, at least) about the goings-on in his personal life, so it's very possible he doesn't WANT the media to figure it out.
 
2012-02-16 07:03:26 PM  

I Have The Touch of a Shocked Monkey: I'm not too surprised because, as several commenters have already pointed out, Colbert in the past has been very withholding (publicly, at least) about the goings-on in his personal life, so it's very possible he doesn't WANT the media to figure it out.


Colbert might not want it...but once it's become news (as in the cancellation of the upcoming Colbert Report shows), you know the media was going to delve into it and try to figure out what the f*ck was going on.
 
2012-02-16 07:04:58 PM  

I Have The Touch of a Shocked Monkey: shivashakti: I'm surprised the media hasn't verified the death of whichever family member it is, whether it's his mother (most likely) or his wife or what.

I've already seen several articles about the show being off-air. But if it's a death, the media should be reporting that.

I'm not too surprised because, as several commenters have already pointed out, Colbert in the past has been very withholding (publicly, at least) about the goings-on in his personal life, so it's very possible he doesn't WANT the media to figure it out.


Yeah but the media "journalist" are scavengers. They know how to get these kinds of stories no matter what. They have some janitor mole at all hospitals waiting for saucy news like this. I'm surprised we don't know what she ate today.
 
2012-02-16 07:09:29 PM  
I haven't bent an ear for this issue yet.

/I'll be in my room, naked, masturbating with a copy of Archie comics, staring at Betty.......
 
2012-02-16 07:11:11 PM  

anfrind: Churchy LaFemme: Republican humor...

There is no such thing.


There is, but it's not funny. Always stuff like "Let's electrocute all the Mexicans" or "Women should put an aspirin between their knees for birth control". Stuff that's so outrageous they can trumpet their conservative cred with friendly neanderthal audiences and then easily just claim they were joking when called on it by anyone rational.

"Honey, we should have a three-way with your sister... why are you crying, c'mon, I was just joking..."
 
2012-02-16 07:15:09 PM  

fusillade762: anfrind: Churchy LaFemme: Republican humor...

There is no such thing.

There is, but it's not funny. Always stuff like "Let's electrocute all the Mexicans" or "Women should put an aspirin between their knees for birth control". Stuff that's so outrageous they can trumpet their conservative cred with friendly neanderthal audiences and then easily just claim they were joking when called on it by anyone rational.

"Honey, we should have a three-way with your sister... why are you crying, c'mon, I was just joking..."


As opposed to liberal humor, which is generally based on oversimplification, vilification, and ends up in the sort of circle jerk laughter that makes anyone with half a brain want to vomit.

You were talking about the worst possible conservative humor, and generalizing. Mine, I believe, is fairly accurate.

In other words, my bias is better'n yours.
 
2012-02-16 07:16:18 PM  

shivashakti: I Have The Touch of a Shocked Monkey: I'm not too surprised because, as several commenters have already pointed out, Colbert in the past has been very withholding (publicly, at least) about the goings-on in his personal life, so it's very possible he doesn't WANT the media to figure it out.

Colbert might not want it...but once it's become news (as in the cancellation of the upcoming Colbert Report shows), you know the media was going to delve into it and try to figure out what the f*ck was going on.


As a church-going Catholic, who taught Sunday School Catacism and is raising his kids as Christians, he wants to keep his personal like separate.
 
2012-02-16 07:17:18 PM  

DKinMN: fusillade762: anfrind: Churchy LaFemme: Republican humor...

There is no such thing.

There is, but it's not funny. Always stuff like "Let's electrocute all the Mexicans" or "Women should put an aspirin between their knees for birth control". Stuff that's so outrageous they can trumpet their conservative cred with friendly neanderthal audiences and then easily just claim they were joking when called on it by anyone rational.

"Honey, we should have a three-way with your sister... why are you crying, c'mon, I was just joking..."

As opposed to liberal humor, which is generally based on oversimplification, vilification, and ends up in the sort of circle jerk laughter that makes anyone with half a brain want to vomit.

You were talking about the worst possible conservative humor, and generalizing. Mine, I believe, is fairly accurate.

In other words, my bias is better'n yours.


And obvious "half a brain" responses are exactly the sort of thing I'd be talking about. So, restrain yourselves.
 
2012-02-16 07:20:11 PM  

psychoace: I Have The Touch of a Shocked Monkey: shivashakti: I'm surprised the media hasn't verified the death of whichever family member it is, whether it's his mother (most likely) or his wife or what.

I've already seen several articles about the show being off-air. But if it's a death, the media should be reporting that.

I'm not too surprised because, as several commenters have already pointed out, Colbert in the past has been very withholding (publicly, at least) about the goings-on in his personal life, so it's very possible he doesn't WANT the media to figure it out.

Yeah but the media "journalist" are scavengers. They know how to get these kinds of stories no matter what. They have some janitor mole at all hospitals waiting for saucy news like this. I'm surprised we don't know what she ate today.


Which is why I'm kind of surprised TMZ has nothing on it yet. They're the worst of the bunch, so they usually get news early.
 
2012-02-16 07:22:09 PM  

ajt167: Tax Boy: someonelse: Khellendros: Johnny Savage: Jon Stewart is funny; Stephen Colbert is not.

Fact.

Jonnny Savage states opinions, then states they are fact.

Fact.

Yogurt with fruit on the bottom is superior to yogurt with fruit blended throughout.

Fact.

Frozen yogurt is superior to both.

Fact.

That is not a fact. It is an opinion and it is wrong.

Fact.


There are no such things as facts.

Trufax.
 
2012-02-16 07:22:42 PM  

Vaguely Racist Lawn Ornament: psychoace: Where is Kilborn? This is his opportunity to Leno his way back to the top.

Battlestar Galactica?


Wut? Is there some Kilborn - Battlestar connection that I'm unaware of? Or were you thinking of John Hodgman?

static.tvguide.com
 
2012-02-16 07:24:57 PM  

Johnny Savage: Jon Stewart is funny; Stephen Colbert is not.

Fact.


Yeah, we know, we know. The deeply religious Christian guy is not funny. Since he was a Sunday school teacher, do you think he assaults boys too?
 
2012-02-16 07:28:09 PM  

tenpoundsofcheese: Johnny Savage: Jon Stewart is funny; Stephen Colbert is not.

Fact.

Yeah, we know, we know. The deeply religious Christian guy is not funny. Since he was a Sunday school teacher, do you think he assaults boys too?


He's got that backwards. Stewart does the same old schtick, and it's tired.

Colbert plays a well designed satirical character, and it has yet to wear itself thin. It doesn't matter that I might disagree with his underlying points. He and his staff write well.

Also, see Representative Richard Martin. Great character.
 
2012-02-16 07:30:55 PM  

The Onion is prophetic: psychoace: I Have The Touch of a Shocked Monkey: shivashakti: I'm surprised the media hasn't verified the death of whichever family member it is, whether it's his mother (most likely) or his wife or what.

I've already seen several articles about the show being off-air. But if it's a death, the media should be reporting that.

I'm not too surprised because, as several commenters have already pointed out, Colbert in the past has been very withholding (publicly, at least) about the goings-on in his personal life, so it's very possible he doesn't WANT the media to figure it out.

Yeah but the media "journalist" are scavengers. They know how to get these kinds of stories no matter what. They have some janitor mole at all hospitals waiting for saucy news like this. I'm surprised we don't know what she ate today.

Which is why I'm kind of surprised TMZ has nothing on it yet. They're the worst of the bunch, so they usually get news early.


Really? TMZ is usually the most civil of the tabloid wretches (I know, that's like saying it's the best form of cancer). TMZ guys don't really bug me and most celebrities don't seem to mind them.
 
2012-02-16 07:33:40 PM  

GranoblasticMan: moralpanic: GranoblasticMan:
Guy definitely deserves a break, then... I just wish Comedy Central said "due to personal reasons" or something like that instead of the ever-so-helpful "unforeseen circumstances."

WTF would it matter to you?

Well, it would matter in that I know his show isn't being canceled indefinitely and therefore will continue to be entertained for ( potentially ) years to come... But would it matter in my day-to-day life? No, I suppose you're right, it wouldn't.

/ Some people...


Ya, because you have the right to know his personal problems, right!
 
2012-02-16 07:39:53 PM  
I hope his mother is comfortable and in no pain. May she recover and spend more time with her grandchildren or pass peacefully with a amused and surprised expression on her face.
 
Displayed 50 of 240 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | » | Last | Show all

View Voting Results: Smartest and Funniest


This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report