If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(CNN)   80 percent of Americans say that the economy is in poor shape. The other 20 percent are drunk   (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com) divider line 194
    More: Obvious, economic problems, we the people, Research Corporation, Glass-Steagall Act, Dodd, held hostage, sampling error, Democrats  
•       •       •

3585 clicks; posted to Main » on 05 Sep 2010 at 10:25 PM (3 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



194 Comments   (+0 »)
   

Archived thread

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all
 
2010-09-05 03:27:27 PM
"Poor shape" by what metric? It isn't doing spectacularly well, but it's hardly an absolute disaster.

Private sector hiring shows signs of gradually increasing, though not to extremely high levels. The only reason the jobs report looked so bad this past week is that temporary census jobs went away, but private sector hiring grew.

Here's an idea, guys: stop watching 24 hour news networks who stopped caring about reporting news years ago.
 
2010-09-05 03:29:11 PM
"The other 20 percent drunk"

Drunk what?, cause I'd like some.
 
2010-09-05 09:05:03 PM
Sid_6.7: "Poor shape" by what metric? It isn't doing spectacularly well, but it's hardly an absolute disaster.

Private sector hiring shows signs of gradually increasing, though not to extremely high levels. The only reason the jobs report looked so bad this past week is that temporary census jobs went away, but private sector hiring grew.

Here's an idea, guys: stop watching 24 hour news networks who stopped caring about reporting news years ago.


What he said.
 
2010-09-05 10:27:51 PM
radiofreekeywest.com

/in before Gato Trollo
 
2010-09-05 10:29:25 PM
Sid_6.7: "Poor shape" by what metric? It isn't doing spectacularly well, but it's hardly an absolute disaster.

Private sector hiring shows signs of gradually increasing, though not to extremely high levels. The only reason the jobs report looked so bad this past week is that temporary census jobs went away, but private sector hiring grew.


Everything is fine. There is no depression.

www.psywarrior.com

/You haven't been to Michigan, have you?
 
2010-09-05 10:29:36 PM
Subby obviously doesn't grasp the concept of income difference. 20% of Americans are still getting paid well and the stock market is doing great.
 
2010-09-05 10:29:38 PM
I'm not drunk.

You're the one who's drunk!

fark this shiat, I'm outta here.
Where's my pants?
 
2010-09-05 10:30:37 PM
Poor shape? Hell, yeah, they just raised the price on Lagunitas.

Also, there are no decent jobs opening up. "By what metric?" So me yours and I'll show you mine.

/just kidding, pervert
 
2010-09-05 10:31:49 PM
As long as 80% of people continue to think the economy is bad, it will stay that way. all it takes to turn it around is to have 80% of the people think the economy is good. That's right, YOU are the economy. Not the President, not Congress. YOU.
 
2010-09-05 10:32:57 PM
Big Al: Subby obviously doesn't grasp the concept of income difference. 20% of Americans are still getting paid well and the stock market is doing great.

Pretty much this. Unemployment among people with bachelor's degrees is something like 4%. As usual in times of economic stress, those Americans with educations and/or valuable skills are somewhat insulated.
 
2010-09-05 10:32:59 PM
I look on the bright side. At least the dems will get decimated in Nov and Obama will be a one-termer(I hope). Yes!!!!
 
2010-09-05 10:33:47 PM
What does the article have to do with postal deliveries on Saturdays (the image)?
 
2010-09-05 10:33:51 PM
Majin_Buu your a idiot!!
 
2010-09-05 10:34:53 PM
i216.photobucket.com
 
2010-09-05 10:35:23 PM
2 years ago when unemployment was below 6% Obama told us it's the worst economy since the great depression and most of you believed him.
 
2010-09-05 10:36:02 PM
peeledpeas: As long as 80% of people continue to think the economy is bad, it will stay that way. all it takes to turn it around is to have 80% of the people think the economy is good. That's right, YOU are the economy. Not the President, not Congress. YOU.

THIS!
 
2010-09-05 10:37:37 PM
BlockBug: Majin_Buu your a idiot!!


Grammar are hard.
 
2010-09-05 10:37:54 PM
The economy is just fine where I am.
 
2010-09-05 10:38:43 PM
Software2: Sid_6.7: "Poor shape" by what metric? It isn't doing spectacularly well, but it's hardly an absolute disaster.

Private sector hiring shows signs of gradually increasing, though not to extremely high levels. The only reason the jobs report looked so bad this past week is that temporary census jobs went away, but private sector hiring grew.

Everything is fine. There is no depression.



/You haven't been to Michigan, have you?



Umm when WASN'T Michigan an abysmal pit of hopeless poverty ?
 
2010-09-05 10:40:18 PM
Majin_Buu: /in before Gato Trollo

YES!!
 
2010-09-05 10:40:38 PM
Meh, it's not as bad as the media would have you believe. Of course, the same people who cried about how the media always overblows disasters during the BP spill are now decrying how there just isn't enough hype over the "meh" state of the economy. For what it's worth, my store has nearly 20 job openings... the problem is more that of the applications in the system, everyone seems to think that they should get paid 15-25 dollars an hour for retail jobs. Unrealistic income expectations aren't a function of the bad economy, but of a piss poor education system that tells people their BA in physical fitness is worth something.
 
2010-09-05 10:42:37 PM
Venn Diagram fail.

Is it possible to be in both the 80% and 20% at the same time?

A drunk pessimist so to speak?
Or maybe a drunk realist, even better?
 
2010-09-05 10:42:42 PM
well if you're drunk, you can afford to drink, therefore you have money, therefore you're rich, so the rich are enjoying their bonus
 
2010-09-05 10:42:57 PM
EL_FABREZ: BlockBug: Majin_Buu your a idiot!!


Grammar Grammer are hard.


/Pet peeve.
 
2010-09-05 10:43:56 PM
Software2: /You haven't been to Michigan, have you?

Michigan has been farked since Ford was President.
 
2010-09-05 10:44:22 PM
Software2:

Everything is fine. There is no depression.



/You haven't been to Michigan, have you?


Do you even know what a depression (or a recession) is? Despite the poor economy, we certainly are not in a recession or depression.

/Farking GDP growth, how does it work
 
2010-09-05 10:44:40 PM
I think it's better than it was a year and a half ago when I got laid off. Of course, maybe I'm just used to it.
 
2010-09-05 10:47:58 PM
Some of us drunkards think the economy is in poor shape, too.
 
2010-09-05 10:48:00 PM
Who in the hell thinks the economy is good?
 
2010-09-05 10:50:18 PM
Rainbowtyedye: I think it's better than it was a year and a half ago when I got laid off. Of course, maybe I'm just used to it.

No, it's definitely improved since then. What was bad was Aug/Sept of 2008, when the credit market collapsed and the entire economy froze up.
 
2010-09-05 10:51:15 PM
shirtsbyeric

2 years ago when unemployment was below 6% Obama told us it's the worst economy since the great depression and most of you believed him.

He also said it was going to be a long, hard slog to get out of it, and would get worse before it got better. This has turned out to be true. I'm sorry rainbow shiatting puppy and unicorn saddle haven't turned up in the mail yet, maybe wait till after the holiday weekend.
 
2010-09-05 10:51:26 PM
Majin_Buu: /in before Gato Trollo

Nope, Clinton farked you all.
 
2010-09-05 10:52:25 PM
eddyatwork: Who in the hell thinks the economy is good?

It's doing fantastic in my sector (medical software). My company set a new record for most hiring in a year, and that was in July, five months before the year ended.

That's largely a combination of Medicare changes, stimulus funds to hospitals and clinics that move to electronic records, and the perception that the Joint Commission is eventually going to require EMR/EHR as part of accreditation.
 
2010-09-05 10:53:29 PM
I'm drunk (on margaritas and absinthe) but I still think the economy is not really in great shape. Things are looking a bit better in my state than they were last year, though.
 
2010-09-05 10:54:35 PM
80 percent of Americans say that the economy is in poor shape. The other 20 percent are drunk own 85% of the wealth
 
2010-09-05 10:54:49 PM
Well, it's on a very, very slow road to recovery. Most shiat is stable. Sadly, unemployment is stable (at 9.5%ish) too.

It's bad out there. But 9.5
The solution? Government spending on the poor, then tightening, tighter than before.



Or we can just keep bashing Obama or Bush.
 
2010-09-05 10:55:44 PM
aneki: Unemployment among people with bachelor's degrees is something like 4%. As usual in times of economic stress, those Americans with educations and/or valuable skills are somewhat insulated.

Unemployment is also running at a bit less than 10%. Guess what the other 90% of folks are doing? (Make it more like 75% if you yank out the underemployed and given-up slackers.)
 
2010-09-05 10:56:30 PM
aneki: Big Al: Subby obviously doesn't grasp the concept of income difference. 20% of Americans are still getting paid well and the stock market is doing great.

Pretty much this. Unemployment among people with bachelor's degrees is something like 4%. As usual in times of economic stress, those Americans with educations and/or valuable skills are somewhat insulated.


That's where i fall in. Doing better economically than ever before. Headhunters calling weekly... so yah, i can see 20% saying its good.
 
2010-09-05 10:56:42 PM
eddyatwork: Who in the hell thinks the economy is good?

Personally, I'm making a decent income this year, I bought a new house that I couldn't have afforded at the peak of the market, my debt is at a record-low interest rate, my stock portfolio (in select markets, industries, and companies) is doing well...

So, yeah, I think the economy is good.

The guy down the street with only one marketable skill, or the family of seven who can't afford all their kids, or the Medieval History major in his seventh year of university, or the princess who used her credit cards to buy a closet full of ~the~ most super-cute outfits, and others like them might not agree with me, though.
 
2010-09-05 10:57:00 PM
Snarfangel 2010-09-05 10:47:58 PM

Some of us drunkards think the economy is in poor shape, too.


Then you are not drunk enough but by this metric Biden must be plastered beyond recovery. (Intentional pun intended)
 
2010-09-05 11:00:04 PM
No amount of alcohol would make me believe the economy is in good shape.

And it's not that a poll of the American public ever means anything because we're just incredibly stupid, as a country, but this is just too obvious to deny.

I look forward to split government in a few months, but have no illusions that we can do any better than gridlock.
 
2010-09-05 11:00:14 PM
WideStance: Government spending on the poor, then tightening, tighter than before.

By tightening do you mean cutting spending on the poor (entitlements) or firing hundreds of thousands of government workers (teachers, police, fda inspectors at egg farms - who are apparently pretty crap anyway)?

Tightening isn't the answer, growth is. Our current historically low taxes would be fine if everyone was working and producing enough to actually be paying them.
 
2010-09-05 11:02:05 PM
Where is this bad economy that people are speaking of? I'm living in a town with 1% unemployment. We'll hire crackheads here.
 
2010-09-05 11:03:28 PM
numbone: but by this metric Biden must be plastered beyond recovery.

Now that Teddy K is dead, I think Biden is the most-likely-to-be-plastered politician on any night. 11PM on a Sunday night mid-three day weekend? Talk about a safe bet...
 
2010-09-05 11:05:09 PM
I like to consider it trimming the fat ... just need less people trying to keep the fat around by wastefully throwing away money at doing so.
 
2010-09-05 11:06:28 PM
Perducci: Personally, I'm making a decent income this year, I bought a new house that I couldn't have afforded at the peak of the market, my debt is at a record-low interest rate, my stock portfolio (in select markets, industries, and companies) is doing well...

So, yeah, I think the economy is good.

The guy down the street with only one marketable skill, or the family of seven who can't afford all their kids, or the Medieval History major in his seventh year of university, or the princess who used her credit cards to buy a closet full of ~the~ most super-cute outfits, and others like them might not agree with me, though.


You are aware that there's a difference between you personally and the economy, right? 70% of the economy is based on your idiot neighbor maxing out his credit card. We gave it some crack and it woke up a bit from where it was, but that doesn't actually fix the root problem, it just makes it worse and delays the results.
 
2010-09-05 11:07:22 PM
pottie: The economy is just fine where I am.

Yesterday, I traded money for beer. Right now I am enjoying that beer. Does that make me part of the 20%?

(on beer #2. not good at teh maths)
 
2010-09-05 11:09:28 PM
I'm not nearly as drunk as I should be but the economy still sucks.
 
2010-09-05 11:12:08 PM
I'm doing better than ever, and by a good margin, therefore this is obviously wrong.

Ok, maybe it's not that simple but things here in Texas are pretty much the same as always, and my company started ramping up hiring four months ago. We can't fill our open spots fast enough. Hell, we have seven openings for sales engineers right now, and those are just in my segments, and that's just one position. Hiring everywhere else too.
 
2010-09-05 11:12:12 PM
Everyone is wrong.

It is BOTH PARTIES FAULTS. ENTIRELY.

Both parties care NOTHING for "America," and care ONLY ABOUT THEIR BOTTOM LINE. Both the Democratic Party and the Republican Party are CORPORATIONS. Nothing more, nothing less.

If someday we had a majority in this country who realized that we'd be set, but like and good corporation they are both good enough at advertising and having great sales now and again that they will stay in power.

/only in America
//land of the free...as long as you're a corporation, not a human
 
Displayed 50 of 194 comments

First | « | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | » | Last | Show all



This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »





Report