If you can read this, either the style sheet didn't load or you have an older browser that doesn't support style sheets. Try clearing your browser cache and refreshing the page.

(NBC Chicago)   Either Cubs fans are presenting an offering to the gods, or they're the best fans ever   (nbcchicago.com) divider line 220
    More: Amusing  
•       •       •

24158 clicks; posted to Main » on 13 Apr 2009 at 3:04 PM (5 years ago)   |  Favorite    |   share:  Share on Twitter share via Email Share on Facebook   more»



220 Comments   (+0 »)
   

Archived thread
 
2009-04-13 11:00:57 AM
I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.
 
2009-04-13 11:08:36 AM
elvisbloom: Way to kill a goat for no reason.

That goat had it coming to him.
 
2009-04-13 11:34:40 AM
elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.


No reason? Um, how about making a baseball team not make it to the world series for over 60 years? Sounds like that goat has issues with prioritizing.
 
2009-04-13 11:40:01 AM
"If slaying a goat would bring the Cubs a World Series win, would you do it?"

Is this a serious question?

/Cubs fan
 
2009-04-13 12:08:13 PM
elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.


this was clearly done by White Sox fans
 
2009-04-13 02:59:43 PM
aquigley: elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.

this was clearly done by White Sox fans


Now you're just scapegoating.
 
2009-04-13 03:07:03 PM
"Kid, we don't like your kind."
 
2009-04-13 03:07:09 PM
That goat had it coming. The goat and Bartman have been working together to prevent the Cubs from winning a World Series. That's the only logical conclusion.
 
2009-04-13 03:07:56 PM
elvisbloom: Way to kill a goat for no reason.

No Reason? That goat owed me money!!
 
MBK [TotalFark]
2009-04-13 03:08:24 PM
elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.


Clearly, there is no way to buy an already dead goat and use it here. Nah, you have to buy live animals and kill them at home to get their own meat.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm running low on steak, time to go kill the cow in my backyard.
 
2009-04-13 03:08:28 PM
Probably a sex crime.
 
2009-04-13 03:08:35 PM
Just a suggestion Cubs security...might want to start angling the camera at the statue.
 
2009-04-13 03:09:14 PM
elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.


It was coming right for them!
 
2009-04-13 03:09:51 PM
animalreview.files.wordpress.com
 
2009-04-13 03:09:52 PM
What a goat might look like:

i22.photobucket.com

Seriously, did they even need to bother with the picture? If you don't know what a goat looks like by the time you learn to read, you don't deserve to know.
 
2009-04-13 03:09:53 PM
elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.


Would you feel better if you knew that it was a baaaaaa-d, baaaaaaa-d goat?
 
2009-04-13 03:10:05 PM
FTFA: Police took the goat down and disposed of the remains. It was not known how the goat died and nothing at the scene was damaged, police said.

Well, except maybe the f**king goat. Damn, people are idiots. Finish in the basement already.
 
2009-04-13 03:10:30 PM
I found the culprits!.

www.ely.org.uk
 
2009-04-13 03:10:57 PM
aquigley

elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.

this was clearly done by White Sox fans


My uncle called me on his lunch and said the going theory around Wrigley is that it was a bunch of Sox fans. Either that, or the fans really believe in the curse.

/Bleat it. Done
 
2009-04-13 03:11:01 PM
He comes at you with a boat, you come at him with a goat. That's the Chicago way!
 
2009-04-13 03:11:44 PM
Sheep go to heaven.
Goats? Goats go to hell.

/cake is not a lie.
 
2009-04-13 03:11:59 PM
There is a legend about a curse on the cubs that pertains to a goat. Wikki will surely tell it more completely than I.

Link (new window)

This is the work of a passionate cubs fan. I of course blame John Shepski of Portland.
 
2009-04-13 03:12:00 PM
cdn.faniq.com
Seen shaking in his boots

/link as hot as your mother's muff
 
2009-04-13 03:12:05 PM
> open gate

> look at goat

> give carrot to goat

> throw dagger at goat

/very very obscure
 
2009-04-13 03:12:18 PM
I hate the Cubs and Cubs fans, but that is awesome.
 
2009-04-13 03:13:09 PM
Just tell Derrek Lee that various farm animals will be hung in his honor until he starts batting over the Mendoza line.
 
2009-04-13 03:13:17 PM
elvisbloom: Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.

Typical Fark religious intolerance! I and my friends in the Holy Church of Santeria will celebrate Easter any damn way we want, got it?
 
2009-04-13 03:13:25 PM
I'm still trying to get over the fact that the Cubs actually have a player named Fukudome. That almost makes me want to go to a game.
 
2009-04-13 03:13:42 PM
Before all you PETA farkers get worked up:

The Curse of the Billy Goat refers to a legend commonly cited to explain why the Chicago Cubs Major League Baseball team has not been to the World Series since 1945.

Source
 
2009-04-13 03:14:24 PM
fireclown: There is a legend about a curse on the cubs that pertains to a goat.

farm4.static.flickr.com
 
2009-04-13 03:14:59 PM
I wonder what animal was sacrificed to bring the Mariners to 5-2 without Ichiro.
 
2009-04-13 03:15:29 PM
...and this is why I'm a White Sox fan

/hurt people, not goats! :-)
 
2009-04-13 03:15:59 PM
The_Sponge

I wonder what animal was sacrificed to bring the Mariners to 5-2 without Ichiro.

Three Somali pirates.
 
2009-04-13 03:16:05 PM
Intersting fact: The word "tragedy" means "goat song." As in, "The sheer chokeatude of the Cubs over the past 60 years is an utter tragedy."
 
2009-04-13 03:16:44 PM
Sorry, it just sounded like nobody here knew. No need to get all Romero-y.
 
2009-04-13 03:17:39 PM
The_Sponge: I wonder what animal was sacrificed to bring the Mariners to 5-2 without Ichiro.

We can thank Oakland's "hey, let's not hit for power...at all" for this weekend.
 
2009-04-13 03:17:52 PM
killing a goat and hanging it outside Wrigley makes your fans the best?

ugh.
 
2009-04-13 03:18:36 PM
okay it's a little more hardcore than

images.dailyradar.com
 
2009-04-13 03:18:46 PM
The English Major: The_Sponge

I wonder what animal was sacrificed to bring the Mariners to 5-2 without Ichiro.

Three Somali pirates.



*Applause*

New pirate hat:

i22.photobucket.com

/BTW, go M's.
 
2009-04-13 03:19:04 PM
The English Major: The_Sponge

I wonder what animal was sacrificed to bring the Mariners to 5-2 without Ichiro.

Three Somali pirates.


*RIMSHOT*

This made me happy.
 
2009-04-13 03:20:11 PM
aquigley: elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.

this was clearly done by White Sox fans


Could have been. Whoever it was was evil. If you're going to kill something, eat it. They're as bad as the jackholes who killed that baby bear down south, and wrapped it in Obama slogans as an anti-Obama message.
 
2009-04-13 03:20:20 PM
One of the comments struck me as being moderately funny..

"Hundreds of thousands of animals get slaughtered and torn to shreds by machines and then our teeth every day, stop complaining you little sissies. If the Harry Caray statue wants to come to life and kill a goat then dangle it from a rope, let that bronzed legend do whatever he wants. That goat came to rest in a place of honor. Before you ask, No, I would not mind being slaughtered and held for all to see by a giant Harry Caray..."
 
2009-04-13 03:20:22 PM
If you were a hot dog, wouldja eat yourself? I know I would.
farm1.static.flickr.com
 
2009-04-13 03:20:51 PM
Fans most likely to sacrifice animals:

The Raider Nation
 
2009-04-13 03:20:52 PM
Meanwhile, I completely forgot to add a word to my last comment which would've made it at least remotely legible.

/off to hang some goats
 
2009-04-13 03:21:15 PM
In other news, people still watch baseball.

//tjmull & fireclown both FAIL
 
2009-04-13 03:21:34 PM
If they needed a dead goat, I could have gotten them a dead goat by 3pm the day before...with nail polish.
 
2009-04-13 03:21:35 PM
moops: > open gate

> look at goat

> give carrot to goat

> throw dagger at goat

/very very obscure


King's Quest is Not obscure.

...

/throw dagger at goat
//must try this tonight
 
2009-04-13 03:22:06 PM
Bryntryst: One of the comments struck me as being moderately funny..

"Hundreds of thousands of animals get slaughtered and torn to shreds by machines and then our teeth every day, stop complaining you little sissies. If the Harry Caray statue wants to come to life and kill a goat then dangle it from a rope, let that bronzed legend do whatever he wants. That goat came to rest in a place of honor. Before you ask, No, I would not mind being slaughtered and held for all to see by a giant Harry Caray..."



BWAHAHAHAHAHA....that's awesome.
 
2009-04-13 03:22:43 PM
Can't they be both, like the late Earl Warren?
 
2009-04-13 03:23:23 PM
And all of Boystown got excited when they read, "Hung Goat*se at Wrigley Field.
 
2009-04-13 03:23:54 PM
"Doesn't it bother you that your dad was a goat?"

"Naaaaa."
 
2009-04-13 03:24:09 PM
www.blackcat.com
 
2009-04-13 03:25:37 PM
Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?
 
2009-04-13 03:25:40 PM
Probably idiotic Army fans, at the wrong game again.
www.defenselink.mil
/go Navy
 
2009-04-13 03:25:46 PM
LEAVE THE GOATS ALONE!!!!!! LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!!


/Go CUBS!
 
2009-04-13 03:25:55 PM
The_Sponge: Fans most likely to sacrifice animals:

The Raider Nation


If by saying "Fans most likely to sacrifice animals" you actually mean "fans most likely to be involuntarily committed to a mental institution," then you would be correct.

farm1.static.flickr.com
 
2009-04-13 03:26:29 PM
again, this was CLEARLY done by White Sox fans
 
2009-04-13 03:27:19 PM
Red Sox fans would actually kill a real person and hang it there.
 
2009-04-13 03:27:35 PM
i713.photobucket.com

/wanted for questioning
 
2009-04-13 03:28:17 PM
I thought horses were supposed to be hung.
 
2009-04-13 03:28:36 PM
:C
 
2009-04-13 03:28:45 PM
aquigley 2009-04-13 12:08:13 PM
elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.

this was clearly done by White Sox fans


That.

Going to the game on Wednesday, hope it doesn't rain on me...or snow.
 
2009-04-13 03:28:54 PM
I don't think we can rule out suicide. If that goat was hanging around Wrigley, he was likely a Cubs fan, which is reason enough to hang yourself.
 
2009-04-13 03:29:40 PM
moops: The_Sponge: Fans most likely to sacrifice animals:

The Raider Nation

If by saying "Fans most likely to sacrifice animals" you actually mean "fans most likely to be involuntarily committed to a mental institution," then you would be correct.


Raider Nation and its dress up tradition is like a Renaissance Festival... but with meth.
 
2009-04-13 03:30:19 PM
i211.photobucket.com

Wanted for questioning.
 
2009-04-13 03:30:39 PM
I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?
 
2009-04-13 03:31:01 PM
aquigley: again, this was CLEARLY done by White Sox fans

How do you figure?
 
2009-04-13 03:31:03 PM
I'm surprised they didn't kill Bartman and string him up there.

I was just talking about this over lunch with some friends (who are Sox fans as I am) and we agreed that the difference between Sox fans and Cubs fans is that when the Sox lose, we agree that it is because they suck, when the Cubs lose, they blame it on a goat.
 
2009-04-13 03:31:11 PM
damn waste of good meat
 
OGC
2009-04-13 03:31:18 PM
Lando Lincoln: "If slaying a goat would bring the Cubs a World Series win, would you do it?"

Is this a serious question?

/Cubs fan


I know I would! Heck, I'd have seconds, then polish it off with a tall, cool Budweiser...
 
2009-04-13 03:31:24 PM
Rapmaster2000: Raider Nation and its dress up tradition is like a Renaissance Festival... but with meth.


Lulz.

/Or they dress up like they're going to a GWAR concert.
 
2009-04-13 03:31:30 PM
aquigley: again, this was CLEARLY done by White Sox fans

If so, my hats off to them. This is funny as hell regardless of interpretation.

/ok, so I feel a little sorry for the goat if it was killed expressly for this
 
2009-04-13 03:32:04 PM
Wanted for questioning:

www.med.univ-angers.fr

/hl
 
2009-04-13 03:32:37 PM
trappedspirit: damn waste of good meat


They should serve goat burgers at Harry Caray's restaurant.
 
2009-04-13 03:33:16 PM
Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?


5/10
 
2009-04-13 03:33:48 PM
NimbleWalrus

aquigley: again, this was CLEARLY done by White Sox fans

How do you figure?


Because no Cub fan could ever get that close to a goat; for the past hundred years, Illinois goats have been bred to attack and flee when the see a Cubs logo.

/hoping the Cardinals will sweep them this week
//Pepsi, Pepsi, no Coke
 
2009-04-13 03:33:55 PM
NimbleWalrus: aquigley: again, this was CLEARLY done by White Sox fans

How do you figure?


Probably blind Cubbie love. Every Cubs fan is middle class and white and does nothing wrong. Sox fans are minorities and white trash and all stupid.

Pretty much how most arguments with cub fans go. Pain in the ass living on the North side of the city sometimes.

/Sox Fan
//Got to see a World Series
 
2009-04-13 03:34:37 PM
NimbleWalrus: aquigley: again, this was CLEARLY done by White Sox fans

How do you figure?


You could possibly interpret it as being further insult to the goat that was not allowed in Wrigley back in '45, thereby being an effort to strengthen the curse.

I see it more as a "f*ck the stupid curse" statement by Cubs fans, personally.

Either way...awesome.

/Go Cubs
 
2009-04-13 03:35:16 PM
this should make for one helluva lineup

Goat hanging suspects so far:

i713.photobucket.comi713.photobucket.comi211.photobucket.com
 
2009-04-13 03:35:52 PM
img261.imageshack.us

img512.imageshack.us

img137.imageshack.us
 
2009-04-13 03:35:58 PM
If it was sodomized first then this was definitely done by Cubs fans. If there was some El Camino tire tracks in the area it was possibly done by Sox fans.
 
2009-04-13 03:36:27 PM
Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?

I must know... do idiots flock to the internets or do the internets make people idiots?

/you suck at sports and your daddy hated you, we get it.
 
2009-04-13 03:37:50 PM
mandrsn1: Probably blind Cubbie love. Every Cubs fan is middle class and white and does nothing wrong. Sox fans are minorities and white trash and all stupid.

Wrong.

Cubs fans don't think anything of Sox fans, generally.

The obsession of hate is a one way deal for the most part.
 
2009-04-13 03:38:11 PM
ajroxmywhitesox.mlblogs.com

Thanks GIS.

Hot like Cubs fans' heartburn every October
 
2009-04-13 03:38:12 PM
No more goat, see?
 
2009-04-13 03:41:19 PM
halfof33: Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?

I must know... do idiots flock to the internets or do the internets make people idiots?

/you suck at sports and your daddy hated you, we get it.


I'd have to say neither. I just never wanted to play sports and never understood the frenzy.

People I know who are crazy about sports are mostly crazed to begin with and can't hold an intellectual conversation about anything.

That, and most people pick one team, be it their home state's team, or some random team, and root the crap out of them even if they suck ass, possibly winning once in a while. (eg. Phillies. I mean, come on. They're 1/1000th champions.)

/It's just sports.
//Get over it once in a while.
 
2009-04-13 03:43:15 PM
rFarke: No more goat, see?

*snort*
 
2009-04-13 03:43:47 PM
Maybe the goat committed Harry Caray?
 
2009-04-13 03:43:51 PM
The goat was probably tired of the Old Man drinking and beating the fark out of him with his hickory stick

/not obscure
 
2009-04-13 03:44:27 PM
The Goat song.
Link
 
2009-04-13 03:45:08 PM
www.terra.es

Cheezborgor Cheezborgor cheezborgor
 
2009-04-13 03:47:41 PM
JonnyBGoode: Maybe the goat committed Harry Caray?


He he he he.
 
2009-04-13 03:48:42 PM
ahwahoo2006: The goat was probably tired of the Old Man drinking and beating the fark out of him with his hickory stick

/not obscure



The poor goat never had the chance to go to the ragu show. :-(
 
2009-04-13 03:48:55 PM
Tatsuhiko: halfof33: Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?

I must know... do idiots flock to the internets or do the internets make people idiots?

/you suck at sports and your daddy hated you, we get it.

I'd have to say neither. I just never wanted to play sports and never understood the frenzy.

People I know who are crazy about sports are mostly crazed to begin with and can't hold an intellectual conversation about anything.

That, and most people pick one team, be it their home state's team, or some random team, and root the crap out of them even if they suck ass, possibly winning once in a while. (eg. Phillies. I mean, come on. They're 1/1000th champions.)

/It's just sports.
//Get over it once in a while.


How dare someone have an interest in something that doesn't interest you? It must be because of some personal flaw on their part. Your anecdotal observations of people that you admittedly don't like makes for an airtight argument.
 
2009-04-13 03:49:14 PM
rnatalie: Cheezborgor Cheezborgor cheezborgor

No fries, cheeps! No Pepsi, Coke!
 
2009-04-13 03:49:53 PM
My friend's grandfather was a baptist minister in rural Alabama. His neighbor's goat kept breaking through his fence and rooting up his garden, so he butchered it. This caused strife between the two neighbors. The neighbor eventually came over to "bury the hatchet," so my friend's grandfather invited him to a cookout that evening. Unbeknownst to the neighbor, the formerly rooting goat was on the menu that night.

/end thread jack
 
2009-04-13 03:57:06 PM
Rapmaster2000: How dare someone have an interest in something that doesn't interest you? It must be because of some personal flaw on their part. Your anecdotal observations of people that you admittedly don't like makes for an airtight argument.

I suppose you could equate yelling at an inanimate object (eg the TV while a game is on) or having a kegger party to watch two teams that most likely got into the finals of a tourny by coincidentally winning against other teams - me not liking other people's interests, then sure!

/I didn't say I didn't like the people I know.
//Just not their sports enthusiasm.

/For me, equate it to a guitarist smashing his guitar on stage.
 
2009-04-13 04:00:09 PM
Fabric_Man

Intersting fact: The word "tragedy" means "goat song." As in, "The sheer chokeatude of the Cubs over the past 60 years is an utter tragedy."


Looks like somebody's been reading their Aeschylus...


/suck on that, Sophocles
/can we talk about dithyrambs now?

//Milwaukeean here, ergo not a baseball fan
 
2009-04-13 04:02:35 PM
Mr. Potatoass: Probably a sex crime.

These are Cub fans, after all.
 
2009-04-13 04:04:15 PM
Rapmaster2000: Tatsuhiko: halfof33: Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?

I must know... do idiots flock to the internets or do the internets make people idiots?

/you suck at sports and your daddy hated you, we get it.

I'd have to say neither. I just never wanted to play sports and never understood the frenzy.

People I know who are crazy about sports are mostly crazed to begin with and can't hold an intellectual conversation about anything.

That, and most people pick one team, be it their home state's team, or some random team, and root the crap out of them even if they suck ass, possibly winning once in a while. (eg. Phillies. I mean, come on. They're 1/1000th champions.)

/It's just sports.
//Get over it once in a while.

How dare someone have an interest in something that doesn't interest you? It must be because of some personal flaw on their part. Your anecdotal observations of people that you admittedly don't like makes for an airtight argument.


Yeah, that shiat really gets my goat.
 
2009-04-13 04:04:20 PM
Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?

Yes.

/M Go Blue!
//Screw (t)OSU!
 
2009-04-13 04:05:24 PM
Mr. Potatoass: Probably a sex crime.

I lol'd, would lol again.
 
2009-04-13 04:05:33 PM
Worst. Fans. Ever.
 
2009-04-13 04:06:26 PM
Tatsuhiko: I suppose you could equate yelling at an inanimate object (eg the TV while a game is on) or having a kegger party to watch two teams that most likely got into the finals of a tourny by coincidentally winning against other teams

Hey maybe they hit a touchdown over the fence!

Now I am going over to the Showbiz forum and troll threads about TV shows and how I don't own a TeeVee.

Hi-yucka! I'm a intellectually smrt person!
 
2009-04-13 04:06:56 PM
Screw all this. Harry Kalas just died. Jeez.
 
2009-04-13 04:07:05 PM
A similar incident occurred in 2007, police said.

It worked so well for the Cubs that year, why not do it again?
 
2009-04-13 04:09:12 PM
hail satan?
 
2009-04-13 04:09:17 PM
SacriliciousBeerSwiller: You could possibly interpret it as being further insult to the goat that was not allowed in Wrigley back in '45, thereby being an effort to strengthen the curse.

That was my thought. If it was a Cubs fan who believed in the curse why would they further insult a species that has such power?
 
2009-04-13 04:10:21 PM
C-Nut: Worst. Fans. Ever.

Not worse than Phillies fans, booing their World Series Champs during the home opener...

/condolences to Phillies fans for losing Kalas.
 
2009-04-13 04:10:30 PM
Trick question, everyone knows all Chicago fans are Godless.

/lives right next to the Cell
 
2009-04-13 04:10:31 PM
elvisbloom: I will go with option three: desperation already.

Seriously idiots. Way to kill a goat for no reason.


Elvis, there is a better chance you actually did this than any Cubs fan doing this. This has Sox fan written all over it.
 
2009-04-13 04:11:46 PM
Speaking as Red Sox fan if someone had told me back in the beginning of the 04 season that killing a goat would get us a World Series Win; I would have ripped a goats head off with my bare hands
Hang in their Cubs fans I feel for ya!
 
2009-04-13 04:12:58 PM
Tatsuhiko: I suppose you could equate yelling at an inanimate object (eg the TV while a game is on) or having a kegger party to watch two teams that most likely got into the finals of a tourny by coincidentally winning against other teams - me not liking other people's interests, then sure!

/I didn't say I didn't like the people I know.
//Just not their sports enthusiasm.

/For me, equate it to a guitarist smashing his guitar on stage.


Or your infatuation with Asian culture as a pasty white kid watching cartoons, excuse me, anime in your mom's basement.

/look at me! I can cast aspersions, too!
 
2009-04-13 04:13:20 PM
Ikam: I was just talking about this over lunch with some friends (who are Sox fans as I am) and we agreed that the difference between Sox fans and Cubs fans is that when the Sox lose, we agree that it is because they suck, when the Cubs lose, they blame it on a goat.

Actually, the major difference is that Sox fans compare everything about their team/stadium/fandom/etc. to those of the Cubs fans, whereas the Cubs fans couldn't give a fark about the Sox fans or anything to do with them.

Your inferiority complex is showing.
 
2009-04-13 04:15:46 PM
Tatsuhiko: halfof33: Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?

I must know... do idiots flock to the internets or do the internets make people idiots?

/you suck at sports and your daddy hated you, we get it.

I'd have to say neither. I just never wanted to play sports and never understood the frenzy.

People I know who are crazy about sports are mostly crazed to begin with and can't hold an intellectual conversation about anything.


People I know who don't like sports are gay.

See? I can make stupid assumptions based upon anecdotal evidence, too. You might want to think your arguments out a bit before making them, especially if you're accusing another group of being unable to hold intellectual conversations.

/Irony police are on the lookout
 
2009-04-13 04:19:26 PM
cheer: Ikam: I was just talking about this over lunch with some friends (who are Sox fans as I am) and we agreed that the difference between Sox fans and Cubs fans is that when the Sox lose, we agree that it is because they suck, when the Cubs lose, they blame it on a goat.

Actually, the major difference is that Sox fans compare everything about their team/stadium/fandom/etc. to those of the Cubs fans, whereas the Cubs fans couldn't give a fark about the Sox fans or anything to do with them.

Your inferiority complex is showing.


i44.tinypic.com
 
2009-04-13 04:19:52 PM
cheer: Tatsuhiko: halfof33: Tatsuhiko: I must know... do idiots flock to sports or do sports make people idiots?

I must know... do idiots flock to the internets or do the internets make people idiots?

/you suck at sports and your daddy hated you, we get it.

I'd have to say neither. I just never wanted to play sports and never understood the frenzy.

People I know who are crazy about sports are mostly crazed to begin with and can't hold an intellectual conversation about anything.


The answer is YES; your daddy would have loved you if you'd played competitive sports!
 
2009-04-13 04:20:46 PM
SacriliciousBeerSwiller: mandrsn1: Probably blind Cubbie love. Every Cubs fan is middle class and white and does nothing wrong. Sox fans are minorities and white trash and all stupid.

Wrong.

Cubs fans don't think anything of Sox fans, generally.

The obsession of hate is a one way deal for the most part.


What he said.
 
2009-04-13 04:21:10 PM
Tatsuhiko: People I know who are crazy about sports manga and anime are mostly crazed to begin with and can't hold an intellectual conversation about anything.

Fixed for your particular predilection.
 
2009-04-13 04:21:11 PM
Yea, I'm off the bandwagon again, for good. I don't care if they win it all or not, this shiat is just ridiculous. It's APRIL.
 
2009-04-13 04:21:15 PM
Just curious - what is the Cubs' all time W-L record? Also, for how many days in their entire history (since 1876) have they been below .500 all-time?

Just askin'.
 
2009-04-13 04:21:31 PM
where is the link to that goat website?
 
2009-04-13 04:22:59 PM
bronyaur1: Just curious - what is the Cubs' all time W-L record? Also, for how many days in their entire history (since 1876) have they been below .500 all-time?

Just askin'.


As of the end of the 2008 season, there record is 10,082 wins, and 9,523 losses.

We're really good for the first ten years of any century.
 
2009-04-13 04:25:23 PM
Nightsweat: bronyaur1: Just curious - what is the Cubs' all time W-L record? Also, for how many days in their entire history (since 1876) have they been below .500 all-time?

Just askin'.

As of the end of the 2008 season, there record is 10,082 wins, and 9,523 losses.

We're really good for the first ten years of any century.


You forgot to mention that the Cubs have NEVER been under .500 in their history :)

/Cub fan for more than 40 years.
 
2009-04-13 04:26:00 PM
FalloutBoy: cheer: Ikam: I was just talking about this over lunch with some friends (who are Sox fans as I am) and we agreed that the difference between Sox fans and Cubs fans is that when the Sox lose, we agree that it is because they suck, when the Cubs lose, they blame it on a goat.

Actually, the major difference is that Sox fans compare everything about their team/stadium/fandom/etc. to those of the Cubs fans, whereas the Cubs fans couldn't give a fark about the Sox fans or anything to do with them.

Your inferiority complex is showing.


(snipped pictures of pacifier/WS ring)

You make my point for me. We don't care that you won in 2005. We really don't.
 
2009-04-13 04:28:51 PM
bronyaur1: the Cubs have NEVER been under .500 in their history

impressive...so they never lost on opening day?
 
2009-04-13 04:30:56 PM
medius: bronyaur1: the Cubs have NEVER been under .500 in their history

impressive...so they never lost on opening day?


I think he meant overall.
 
2009-04-13 04:31:13 PM
The curse started because the goat was kicked out of the park. So now somebody thinks KILLING a goat will make it all better?

Well... maybe next year, Cubs fans...
 
2009-04-13 04:31:39 PM
medius: impressive...so they never lost on opening day?

The question was "all-time."
 
2009-04-13 04:33:20 PM
that's less impressive, but i'll root for the cubs for a week to make amends
 
2009-04-13 04:40:28 PM
FalloutBoy, way to prove cheer's point.

Sox fan: Man, the Cubs fans hate us so much!
Cubs fan: Actually, we just ignore you for the most part.
Sox fan: ZOMG 2005 World Series f*ck you HATER!!!1!

img529.imageshack.us
 
2009-04-13 04:42:55 PM
medius: bronyaur1: the Cubs have NEVER been under .500 in their history

impressive...so they never lost on opening day?


In their history means the running total of their record. The Cubs have had numerous individual seasons of sub .500 ball. However, they have never had a dry spell long enough to cancel out their very good records in the beginning.
 
2009-04-13 04:46:34 PM
bacongood: However, they have never had a dry spell long enough to cancel out their very good records in the beginning.

at this point they'd have to lose every game for almost three-and-a-half years...not even the cubs...

really helps that they've been around for a long, long, farking time
 
2009-04-13 04:47:38 PM
Haha so bitter. *sniff sniff* we don't even care about being successful and winning things. It's our tradition of losing that keeps us strong. "What's the score?" Who cares, check it out it's Ronnie Woo-Woo!!

/I do care about Cubs fans, they're so easy to troll.
 
2009-04-13 04:49:59 PM
SacriliciousBeerSwiller: Sox fan: Man, the Cubs fans hate us so much!
Cubs fan: Actually, we just ignore you for the most part.
Sox fan: ZOMG 2005 World Series f*ck you HATER!!!1!


This.

I mean. We've got the Cardinals and Mets and whatnot to devote serious hate towards. It's hard to get worked up about a team in a different farking league.
 
2009-04-13 04:52:10 PM
FalloutBoy: Haha so bitter. *sniff sniff* we don't even care about being successful and winning things. It's our tradition of losing that keeps us strong. "What's the score?" Who cares, check it out it's Ronnie Woo-Woo!!

/I do care about Cubs fans, they're so easy to troll.


Reading is a skill.

We DO care about winning. We just don't care what YOU do, because it's immaterial.

But feel free to keep taking your shots if it makes you feel better. As I said...we don't care.
 
2009-04-13 04:52:33 PM
cheer: Your inferiority complex is showing.

Pot. Meet kettle.

Cities with two baseball teams compare said teams, ballparks, fans, etc. News at 11.
 
2009-04-13 04:54:08 PM
SacriliciousBeerSwiller: Cubs fans don't think anything of Sox fans, generally.

The obsession of hate is a one way deal for the most part.


Artards wearing Cubs stuff to Sox games (not involving the Cubs) and constantly taunting and harassing Sox fans are the numbers 1 through 9 reasons on the "Top 10 reasons fights start at US Cellular Field". There are farktons of Cubs fans that are dicks about it. If you think otherwise then you just don't pay attention.

And most Cubs fans who claim "we don't think about them" are ones who have thrown out the "white trash" or other stereotypes at one time or another.

Kornchex: Elvis, there is a better chance you actually did this than any Cubs fan doing this. This has Sox fan written all over it.

I highly doubt it was a Sox fan. It would take way too much effort for a Sox fan to get a hold of a full goat. The fans of a Chicago baseball team that live out in the cornfields and plains who would have easy access are mostly Cubs fans. The Sox fanbase is more concentrated in the greater Chicagoland/NW Indiana area. Maybe there's some crazy shop in Pilsen or one of the other Latino neighborhoods for people who practice Santeria? I'm sure there's places on Devon that have goat meat, but I doubt you could get a whole dead goat there.

More likely if it wasn't a Cubs fan, it was a Cards or Brewers fan with way too much time on their hands.
 
2009-04-13 04:54:29 PM
cheer: We DO care about winning. We just don't care what YOU do, because it's immaterial.

I see. You DON'T care so much, you are going to make damn sure we all know just how much you DON'T care.

Thank you for clearing that up.
 
2009-04-13 04:58:30 PM
GQueue: More likely if it wasn't a Cubs fan, it was a Cards or Brewers fan with way too much time on their hands.

Not feeling the Brewers hate yet. They just haven't been on our side of the fence. Plus they're from Milwaukee. How can you hate anything from Milwaukee? It's like hating on Cleveland. Too easy.
 
2009-04-13 04:59:06 PM
Ikam: cheer: We DO care about winning. We just don't care what YOU do, because it's immaterial.

I see. You DON'T care so much, you are going to make damn sure we all know just how much you DON'T care.

Thank you for clearing that up.


OK, then. You keep thinking that.
 
2009-04-13 05:00:34 PM
As a lifelong Cubs fan, I personally find it repugnant what was done.

Go Cubs!
 
2009-04-13 05:05:05 PM
Cubs fans:baseball

frat guys:burning man
 
2009-04-13 05:05:15 PM
Nightsweat: How can you hate anything from Milwaukee?

i139.photobucket.com
 
2009-04-13 05:08:42 PM
Nightsweat: Not feeling the Brewers hate yet. They just haven't been on our side of the fence. Plus they're from Milwaukee. How can you hate anything from Milwaukee? It's like hating on Cleveland. Too easy.

I went to a game in Milwaukee (not involving the Cubs) last year and I saw more fights in the stands there than I've seen at any game I've ever been to. Four people got kicked out of the section I was in, and that was just one section. It was absurd. And while maybe Cubs fans don't feel like it's a rivalry yet, I've seen plenty of Brewers fans that hate the Cubs. They don't take kindly to you folks calling Miller Park "Wrigley North" (never mind that it's their own fault for not buying up the tickets themselves).

As a Sox fan, I have plenty of hatred for the Indians, even though they're in Cleveland, though probably more for the Twins given the recent past. I lived in Cleveland during the Tribe's bandwagon heyday, and the fans were truly obnoxious. At one game three fat chicks punched me in the back of the head and neck when I dared stand up to cheer a Sox homer. My roommate grew up in Cleveland and found all those bandwagoners pretty damn annoying. I can't say I was too thrilled with the folks that came out of the woodwork in 2005 and suddenly claimed they were lifelong Sox fans though I'm sure they wouldn't have known Ivan Calderon from Ivan the Terrible.
 
2009-04-13 05:15:42 PM
BKITU: Nightsweat: How can you hate anything from Milwaukee?

Ok, you got me there.
 
2009-04-13 05:16:45 PM
I just came here to say:

GO CARDINALS!!
 
2009-04-13 05:17:51 PM
FalloutBoy: cheer: Ikam: I was just talking about this over lunch with some friends (who are Sox fans as I am) and we agreed that the difference between Sox fans and Cubs fans is that when the Sox lose, we agree that it is because they suck, when the Cubs lose, they blame it on a goat.

Actually, the major difference is that Sox fans compare everything about their team/stadium/fandom/etc. to those of the Cubs fans, whereas the Cubs fans couldn't give a fark about the Sox fans or anything to do with them.

Your inferiority complex is showing.


:O

I'm almost afraid to show that to my bf.

/but I am so gonna.
 
2009-04-13 05:18:19 PM
BKITU

Nightsweat: How can you hate anything from Milwaukee?

i139.photobucket.com


Every year on the anniversary of my grandfather's death (May 3rd), I have to drink at least one can of Milwaukee's Best and one can of Old Milwaukee in his honor.

/better buy a couple twenty-four packs ahead of time
 
2009-04-13 05:18:29 PM
toilet engineer: I just came here to say:

GO CARDINALS!!


*throws popcorn at you*

Pfft!!!
 
2009-04-13 05:19:10 PM
SacriliciousBeerSwiller: FalloutBoy, way to prove cheer's point.

Sox fan: Man, the Cubs fans hate us so much!
Cubs fan: Actually, we just ignore you for the most part.
Sox fan: ZOMG 2005 World Series f*ck you HATER!!!1!


It's like living in a town half-filled with Jan Bradys.
 
2009-04-13 05:23:39 PM
toilet engineer

I just came here to say:

GO CARDINALS!!


THIS!

/going to the July 11 game
//could've gone to see them crush the Cubs this week
///still could, I guess
 
2009-04-13 05:23:58 PM
Can't you just feel the love?
 
2009-04-13 05:26:31 PM
GQueue: Artards wearing Cubs stuff to Sox games (not involving the Cubs) and constantly taunting and harassing Sox fans are the numbers 1 through 9 reasons on the "Top 10 reasons fights start at US Cellular Field". There are farktons of Cubs fans that are dicks about it. If you think otherwise then you just don't pay attention.

This. On different occasions I have witnessed three people get tossed from the Cell. Two of them were wearing Cubs jerseys and it was NOT during a Cubs-Sox game.
 
2009-04-13 05:26:57 PM
After yesterday I'm surprised Jeff Suppan wasn't found in similar condition by the Robin Yount statue here in Milwaukee.

/I'm sure he's trying his best
//I'm sure he's a very nice man
 
2009-04-13 05:30:15 PM
It's working they're winning through 7
 
2009-04-13 05:35:30 PM
This pisses me off so bad. The person who did this fits the profile of a Sox fan way better. Begone trashball and never sully The Friendly Confines again!!!!
 
2009-04-13 05:36:17 PM
BarryToink: After yesterday I'm surprised Jeff Suppan wasn't found in similar condition by the Robin Yount statue here in Milwaukee.

/I'm sure he's trying his best
//I'm sure he's a very nice man


Dude that freaking guy is so slowwwwww!
 
2009-04-13 05:36:20 PM
Lando Lincoln: SacriliciousBeerSwiller: FalloutBoy, way to prove cheer's point.

Sox fan: Man, the Cubs fans hate us so much!
Cubs fan: Actually, we just ignore you for the most part.
Sox fan: ZOMG 2005 World Series f*ck you HATER!!!1!

It's like living in a town half-filled with Jan Bradys.


half?
 
2009-04-13 05:37:12 PM
"It's a simple question, Professor! Would you eat the moon if it was made of ribs?"
 
2009-04-13 05:40:06 PM
halfof33: BarryToink: After yesterday I'm surprised Jeff Suppan wasn't found in similar condition by the Robin Yount statue here in Milwaukee.

/I'm sure he's trying his best
//I'm sure he's a very nice man

Dude that freaking guy is so slowwwwww!


Tell me about it. I'm a season ticket holder up here.

/can we has Pedro?
 
2009-04-13 05:44:10 PM
FalloutBoy: Haha so bitter. *sniff sniff* we don't even care about being successful and winning things. It's our tradition of losing that keeps us strong. "What's the score?" Who cares, check it out it's Ronnie Woo-Woo!!

/I do care about Cubs fans, they're so easy to troll.


It's not trolling when everyone just thinks you're dumb.

Hey, remember that time you tried to claim your screen name wasn't based on that crappy band for tween girls?
 
2009-04-13 05:45:16 PM
bacongood: Lando Lincoln: SacriliciousBeerSwiller: FalloutBoy, way to prove cheer's point.

Sox fan: Man, the Cubs fans hate us so much!
Cubs fan: Actually, we just ignore you for the most part.
Sox fan: ZOMG 2005 World Series f*ck you HATER!!!1!

It's like living in a town half-filled with Jan Bradys.

half?


Depends. Do the south 'burbs count? If not, maybe 10%.
 
2009-04-13 05:53:21 PM
SacriliciousBeerSwiller: Hey, remember that time you tried to claim your screen name wasn't based on that crappy band for tween girls?

To be fair, his join date is 2003, and I don't think anyone had heard of the band then. The Simpsons character (Radioactive Man's sidekick), however, was definitely known then.
 
2009-04-13 05:54:49 PM
WHERE
ARE
THE
DRAGNET
REFERENCES




/virgin connie swail
 
2009-04-13 06:00:08 PM
man, what the hell did White Sox fans say before 2005? I don't even remember anymore.

Oh wait...THERE WEREN'T ANY
 
2009-04-13 06:00:25 PM
SacriliciousBeerSwiller:

Depends. Do the south 'burbs count? If not, maybe 10%.


No 'burbs count. City limits.

GQueue:
To be fair, his join date is 2003, and I don't think anyone had heard of the band then. The Simpsons character (Radioactive Man's sidekick), however, was definitely known then.


But the band is from the north shore, and i am pretty sure they started locally around 2000 or 20001. So he was probably trying to show how hip he was.

It could be worse, he could be Lucky Boys Confusion...
 
2009-04-13 06:00:53 PM
GQueue: To be fair, his join date is 2003, and I don't think anyone had heard of the band then. The Simpsons character (Radioactive Man's sidekick), however, was definitely known then.

here in Chicago, Fall Out Boy were definitely well-known. And FalloutBoy used to be hangin' out in Wilmette every weekend.
 
2009-04-13 06:01:00 PM
toilet engineer: I just came here to say:

GO CARDINALS!!


And take the Mets with you.
 
2009-04-13 06:01:13 PM
Sat next to delusional Flubs fans this weekend.

"Seriously this could be our year..."

But i'll take the delusional ones over the vacauous women their team seems to attract who don't have a trickle of intelligence run through those heads of theirs...Not joking heard this...

"Where's Sammy Sosa?"
 
2009-04-13 06:04:21 PM
Radworld4: Sat next to delusional Flubs fans this weekend.

"Seriously this could be our year..."


yes, how dare they believe it could be their year when they're once again clearly going to the postseason
 
2009-04-13 06:04:37 PM
What douchebag called the cops for this?
 
2009-04-13 06:11:37 PM
aquigley

man, what the hell did White Sox fans say before 2005? I don't even remember anymore.

Oh wait...THERE WEREN'T ANY


Okay, that was pretty damned funny (and accurate).
 
2009-04-13 06:12:11 PM
aquigley: man, what the hell did White Sox fans say before 2005? I don't even remember anymore.

Oh wait...THERE WEREN'T ANY


Bite me. I probably still have splinters from sitting in the center field bleachers at the old park when I was a kid watching our current hitting coach, first base coach, manager and GM on teams that sucked. Hell, our bench coach in the new park too, but when he was there they were actually good (not really thanks to him at all, albeit).
 
2009-04-13 06:13:39 PM
aquigley: Radworld4: Sat next to delusional Flubs fans this weekend.

"Seriously this could be our year..."

yes, how dare they believe it could be their year when they're once again clearly going to the postseason


you ready to book it?
 
2009-04-13 06:15:07 PM
WaltzingMathilda: you ready to book it?

them making the postseason this year?

Book it. Done. OBVIOUSLY.
 
2009-04-13 06:16:29 PM
The English Major: Oh wait...THERE WEREN'T ANY

That is pretty funny.

Although I do fondly recall my first Sox game when I was 8 years old (prior to the destruction of the old park). However, anyone who doesn't acknowledge that the Sox fanbase is almost entirely a local one and the Cubs have a national following and much more fans are idiots.

Oh, and to the person who was dissing the south-burbs a bit earlier, I'd like to say I'm offended, but I'm not, there is a reason I left them at 18 and never looked back ;)
 
2009-04-13 06:16:34 PM
aquigley: WaltzingMathilda: you ready to book it?

them making the postseason this year?

Book it. Done. OBVIOUSLY.


with the cards looking so good and the very real possibility that the central does not get the wild card ... you realize you are essentially calling for a division title, not just a postseason appearance?
 
2009-04-13 06:21:10 PM
WaltzingMathilda: with the cards looking so good

The Cubs own the Cardinals nowadays. Including this upcoming weekend. YOU HEARD ME
 
2009-04-13 06:23:31 PM
aquigley: WaltzingMathilda: with the cards looking so good

The Cubs own the Cardinals nowadays. Including this upcoming weekend. YOU HEARD ME


Haha. Awesome. Well at least we know now you're just being a fan. I'll be in the bleachers.

And just so you know ... "nowadays" Carpenter looks pretty unstoppable and this guy names Lohse appears to be pretty unhittable too - and apparently Wainwright is healthy and looking good. Should be a fun weekend!
 
2009-04-13 06:25:21 PM
WaltzingMathilda: Haha. Awesome. Well at least we know now you're just being a fan. I'll be in the bleachers.

I gave my Friday bleacher tix to my brother-in-law for his March 14th b-day.

MAY still go anyhow, though.
 
2009-04-13 06:31:11 PM
WaltzingMathilda: aquigley: WaltzingMathilda: with the cards looking so good

The Cubs own the Cardinals nowadays. Including this upcoming weekend. YOU HEARD ME

Haha. Awesome. Well at least we know now you're just being a fan. I'll be in the bleachers.

And just so you know ... "nowadays" Carpenter looks pretty unstoppable and this guy names Lohse appears to be pretty unhittable too - and apparently Wainwright is healthy and looking good. Should be a fun weekend!


Someday, Dave Duncan will run out of magic pixy dust, and on that day the Cards are screwed.
 
2009-04-13 06:44:46 PM
Sat in the upper deck at Miller Park last night for a Cubs/Brewers game. Thankfully, there weren't too many Cubs fans sitting near us, but one that was got ejected for sloppy drunken argufication (yeah, I just made it up) about how he could name every player on the '89 team (or some such nonsense). The Brewer fan (also admittedly drunk) retorted (using drunken logic) by claiming the Brew Crew has more HOF'ers than the Cubs (a dubious claim), and it was ON.

Security gets deservedly doubled whenever the Cubs come to town. It was my son's first Brewers/Cubs game, and even though the good guys lost, we had a blast.

Sacrificing a goat will only prolong the curse. Long live the curse!

www.shanestover.com
 
2009-04-13 06:48:39 PM
One goat sacrificed = one hit shutout

I'm just sayin'.
 
2009-04-13 06:48:53 PM
cheer: FalloutBoy: cheer: Ikam: I was just talking about this over lunch with some friends (who are Sox fans as I am) and we agreed that the difference between Sox fans and Cubs fans is that when the Sox lose, we agree that it is because they suck, when the Cubs lose, they blame it on a goat.

Actually, the major difference is that Sox fans compare everything about their team/stadium/fandom/etc. to those of the Cubs fans, whereas the Cubs fans couldn't give a fark about the Sox fans or anything to do with them.

Your inferiority complex is showing.

(snipped pictures of pacifier/WS ring)

You make my point for me. We don't care that you won in 2005. We really don't.


Neither does anyone else my friend. They could win it 5 years in a row and they'd still be an afterthought in their own city. That's where the envy comes from.

I hope the Cardinals are good this season. I really do. I enjoy the rivalry. Still, at 5-2 let's not start booking any postseason flights yet, eh? Carpenter and Wainwright have to prove they are healthy before anyone will think they can compete with the Cubs. And, even if they are healthy, the Cubs clearly have a vastly superior rotation.

/19 walks in two days.
//wow.
 
2009-04-13 07:43:37 PM
I've got no problem with the occasional blood sacrifice, but I don't see how it really applies to this situation. They're just pissing off the goat gods more.
 
2009-04-13 08:21:04 PM
Kornchex: And, even if they are healthy, the Cubs clearly have a vastly superior rotation.

Um, a healthy Carp means a healthy Cy Young winner. I don't know if the Cubs can claim the same. Let's not throw the word "vastly" around too freely.
 
2009-04-13 09:15:16 PM
moops: > open gate

> look at goat

> give carrot to goat

> throw dagger at goat

/very very obscure


IFNKOVHGROGHPRM?
 
2009-04-13 09:32:29 PM
GQueue: SacriliciousBeerSwiller: Hey, remember that time you tried to claim your screen name wasn't based on that crappy band for tween girls?

To be fair, his join date is 2003, and I don't think anyone had heard of the band then. The Simpsons character (Radioactive Man's sidekick), however, was definitely known then.


He claims to live in Chicago, and anyone even remotely in touch with the Chicago music scene knew of Fallout Boy back then.
 
2009-04-13 10:06:06 PM
The Cubs. Disappointing you just like they did your father, your grandfather and your great grandfather!
 
2009-04-14 12:24:17 AM
www.metalpesado.com.br
 
2009-04-14 03:20:39 AM
As someone who has lived in the NW burbs his entire life the whole Cub fans don't care about the Sox IS farkING BULLshiat!

MOST Cub fans I've come across are just as dick as I'll be back to them.

We just aren't farkING DELUSIONAL about the situation.

Why the shiat do Cub fans feel they're better. shiattier Stadium, no farking rings the past century, food at the stadium is shiat, can't win in the playoffs FORGET WS JUST ANY farkING ROUND....

I mean...I just really don't get it. I dont...

Aquigley should be proof enough that Cub fans do care...otherwise he wouldn't be such an undeniable prick towards anything White Sox. It's as if he was gang-raped by Frank Thomas, Ozzie Guillen, and Ken Harrelson.
 
2009-04-14 07:14:21 AM
I worked on the southside and lived up north in the Edgewater area when the Sox won. You couldn't find ANY Cubs gear for the next 2 months, and everyone was screaming out for the Sox. In the middle of Wrigleyville!

I saw more southsiders on Belmont and Sheffield than I've probably ever seen in Hyde Park!
 
2009-04-14 10:17:35 AM
All those comments. 195. And not one person was thinking of the goats.

Who are, of course, all just really hoping this doesn't work.
 
2009-04-14 10:28:27 AM
The1andonlyZack: MOST Cub fans I've come across are just as dick as I'll be back to them.

this is why we're better than you
 
2009-04-14 10:30:25 AM
Yeah! Let's fire up the retarded Cubs/Sox rivalry! Everyone else really gives a crap about people IN THE SAME CITY feuding about their teams that are IN DIFFERENT LEAGUES!

It's almost as dumb as irrational sports fan superstitions.
 
2009-04-14 10:33:28 AM
WaltzingMathilda: Kornchex: And, even if they are healthy, the Cubs clearly have a vastly superior rotation.

Um, a healthy Carp means a healthy Cy Young winner. I don't know if the Cubs can claim the same. Let's not throw the word "vastly" around too freely.


A healthy Harden would likely get a lot of Cy Young votes...

But the rotation is more than just one pitcher. The Cubs 3, 4, and 5 pitchers are a lot better than the Cards. Also, the Cubs are much more able to absorb a loss to injury than the Cards. If Carp goes down, the Cards should not be able to compete.
 
2009-04-14 10:36:18 AM
The1andonlyZack: shiattier Stadium

i don't want to defend anything cubs, but i have to on this one. "new stadium" is not necessarily "better stadium." i'd rather be at wrigley than the cell any day. i mean, saying the Cell is a better stadium just because it's new is kind of like saying that KISS is a great band because their pyrotechnics are really cool.
 
2009-04-14 10:40:32 AM
bacongood: WaltzingMathilda: Kornchex: And, even if they are healthy, the Cubs clearly have a vastly superior rotation.

Um, a healthy Carp means a healthy Cy Young winner. I don't know if the Cubs can claim the same. Let's not throw the word "vastly" around too freely.

A healthy Harden would likely get a lot of Cy Young votes...

But the rotation is more than just one pitcher. The Cubs 3, 4, and 5 pitchers are a lot better than the Cards. Also, the Cubs are much more able to absorb a loss to injury than the Cards. If Carp goes down, the Cards should not be able to compete.


maybe, maybe not. it's too early to tell. right now, it looks like at least 3 of the starters could be aces. you can base your belief in your rotation in last your if you wish, but it's all speculation. the way the cards are pitching right now, it looks like they have more than one ace.

As far as "if Carp goes down, they should not be able to compete" ... well, you're forgetting about how a world championship offense is half the game. they've always had pitching problems, especially in their starters, and I recall 2 world series appearances in the last 5 years.
 
2009-04-14 10:44:40 AM
WaltzingMathilda: you can base your belief in your rotation in last your year if you wish

oops
 
2009-04-14 11:48:36 AM
Can one of you Cubs fans out there please explain how Wrigley is a better park than US Comiskular?
 
2009-04-14 11:50:57 AM
kling_klang_bed: I worked on the southside and lived up north in the Edgewater area when the Sox won. You couldn't find ANY Cubs gear for the next 2 months, and everyone was screaming out for the Sox. In the middle of Wrigleyville!

I saw more southsiders on Belmont and Sheffield than I've probably ever seen in Hyde Park!


Wrigleyville is loaded with recent college grads that aren't from Chicago. They follow whatever is popular at the time. In 2005, that meant jumping on the Sox bandwagon. The rest of the time, it's getting drunk in the Wrigley bleachers. Most of them really don't care about either team, and they don't really pay attention to the game. These are the Cubs fans everyone can't stand.

Some of them become real fans of one of the teams, but an awful lot will jump to the Sox the instant the Sox are better. As far as we're concerned, the Cubs can keep them.
 
2009-04-14 11:59:31 AM
GeorgePasada: Can one of you Cubs fans out there please explain how Wrigley is a better park than US Comiskular?

I can explain it as a Sox fan, there's pros for each.

Wrigley:
1) Historical ball park, one of two left now, and thus is more unique. It's prettier due to the ivy and a lesser ad presence than most ballparks.
2) The upper deck isn't a mile in the air, so the seats are actually pretty good.

The Cell:
1) Fewer obstructed view seats (they're only in the last few rows of the upper deck as compared to Wrigley, which has them in the upper and lower deck due to the support beams)
2) Better sight lines in general

As for non-game watching considerations, the food's better at the Cell and has been for years, and you can get more beer variety there. Wrigley has the bars right there within a block (most of which I largely can't stand, but obviously plenty of people like them). The Cell has tailgating.

Really it's personal preference. Some people heavily weight the historical aspect. Some people would rather have the better comfort level of the Cell and its better amenities.
 
2009-04-14 12:05:35 PM
WaltzingMathilda:
maybe, maybe not. it's too early to tell. right now, it looks like at least 3 of the starters could be aces. you can base your belief in your rotation in last your if you wish, but it's all speculation. the way the cards are pitching right now, it looks like they have more than one ace.


I trust last year's stats a lot more than a week's worth this year. Seems kind of odd to accuse Cub fans of speculating on their starting pitching and then claim that Kyle Lohse is an ace in training (if I am reading your "3 could be aces" right).


As far as "if Carp goes down, they should not be able to compete" ... well, you're forgetting about how a world championship offense is half the game. they've always had pitching problems, especially in their starters, and I recall 2 world series appearances in the last 5 years.


Aside from Pujols, where is this offense coming from? Schumaker, Greene, Freese, and Molina is a crap offense from the rest of the infield. The OF is mediocre unless Rasmus figures out the big leagues real quick. They have a lot of work to do to match the Cubs offense.
 
2009-04-14 01:08:02 PM
bacongood: I trust last year's stats a lot more than a week's worth this year. Seems kind of odd to accuse Cub fans of speculating on their starting pitching and then claim that Kyle Lohse is an ace in training (if I am reading your "3 could be aces" right).

Lohse looked pretty good after the trade last year. Most people still paying attention to the dismal Cardinals team were saying he was looking great. I'm not accusing you of speculating. I'm saying talking about this at all is speculative on both our parts.

bacongood: Aside from Pujols, where is this offense coming from? Schumaker, Greene, Freese, and Molina is a crap offense from the rest of the infield. The OF is mediocre unless Rasmus figures out the big leagues real quick. They have a lot of work to do to match the Cubs offense.

Molina? You mean the catcher who finished .275 and .304 for the last 2 years? How many catchers perform like that?

And Ludwick? Why did you leave him out? You know, the guy who was .299 with 37 homers last year?

I suppose Ankiel is an afterthought because of his anemic start this year so far?

I guess a mediocre team coming out 6-2 must be pretty confusing for you then.
 
2009-04-14 01:55:42 PM
WaltzingMathilda: The1andonlyZack: shiattier Stadium

i don't want to defend anything cubs, but i have to on this one. "new stadium" is not necessarily "better stadium." i'd rather be at wrigley than the cell any day. i mean, saying the Cell is a better stadium just because it's new is kind of like saying that KISS is a great band because their pyrotechnics are really cool.


If your stadium is falling apart it's definitly shiattier!

KISS isn't a great band because of their pyrotechnics..they're a good..I wont say great ha...band because they had a ton of good songs that had great crossover appeal and put on a hell of a show.

I think KISS is a great analogy to The Cubs in a way. Because even though KISS isn't good in terms of musical talent they still sell out constantly...much like The Cubs ussually aren't that good at the game of baseball, but they continue to sell out.

This decade..well a good part of this decade..has been out of the ordinary for The Cubs. When it comes to the playoffs though they never fail in failing.
 
2009-04-14 02:15:09 PM
WaltzingMathilda:
Molina? You mean the catcher who finished .275 and .304 for the last 2 years? How many catchers perform like that?


He still has a career OPS of just .677. That BA is empty: no power, no walks. I won't put a breakout from him out of the realm of possibility, catchers breaking out late is pretty common. But I would not call him an offensive force yet.


And Ludwick? Why did you leave him out? You know, the guy who was .299 with 37 homers last year?

I suppose Ankiel is an afterthought because of his anemic start this year so far?


I think an OF of Ludwick, Rasmus (hitting as he potentially could), and Ankiel is pretty good. But Ludwick and Ankiel are both late bloomers with no track record. They are the Ryan Dempsters of hitting. So for every time you say Dempster won't repeat, you have to view Ludwick and Ankiel with just as much salt.


I guess a mediocre team coming out 6-2 must be pretty confusing for you then.


San Diego is also 6-2.
 
2009-04-14 02:20:51 PM
bacongood: He still has a career OPS of just .677. That BA is empty: no power, no walks. I won't put a breakout from him out of the realm of possibility, catchers breaking out late is pretty common. But I would not call him an offensive force yet.

but how many years does it take? 2 full impressive seasons isn't enough to take seriously?

bacongood: think an OF of Ludwick, Rasmus (hitting as he potentially could), and Ankiel is pretty good. But Ludwick and Ankiel are both late bloomers with no track record. They are the Ryan Dempsters of hitting. So for every time you say Dempster won't repeat, you have to view Ludwick and Ankiel with just as much salt.

ankiel was a pitcher ... a pitcher. as a hitter in the major leagues, his record is completely proven, isn't it? he's been nothing but great since being called up.

bacongood: San Diego is also 6-2.

i see that. should be an interesting year out west.

The1andonlyZack: If your stadium is falling apart it's definitly shiattier!

i'm sorry. what is falling apart? and if you post some non-structural nonsense, let's not forget it's a really farking old stadium. it's a beautiful place to watch baseball. not so much at the cell. cell has better amenities, but overall, a sunny day at wrigley is much more gratifying.
 
2009-04-14 03:32:37 PM
WaltzingMathilda:
but how many years does it take? 2 full impressive seasons isn't enough to take seriously?


But they aren't that impressive. hitting .300 is great, but if it is just a bunch of singles and you don't take walks, it is not that helpful. He has no power and walks about 30 times a year.

Offensively, he is Jason Kendall in Oakland, which was shiat. Luckily, Molina is a defensive catcher and thus still worth it. But he is not a plus bat.


ankiel was a pitcher ... a pitcher. as a hitter in the major leagues, his record is completely proven, isn't it? he's been nothing but great since being called up.


Exactly, he was a pitcher. He has a very small history (minor league and major league) sample as a hitter for someone his age. That means no track record.

I stand by my claim that the Cards need Carp to be healthy to give the Cubs a run this year.


bacongood: San Diego is also 6-2.

i see that. should be an interesting year out west.


I am betting on the Giants. If Johnson returns to his 2nd half form from last year, that is an insane top 3 staff. The type nobody wants to see in the playoffs.
 
2009-04-14 03:59:46 PM
The1andonlyZack:
The angriest little suburban boy strikes again!
 
2009-04-14 04:07:41 PM
bacongood: But they aren't that impressive. hitting .300 is great, but if it is just a bunch of singles and you don't take walks, it is not that helpful. He has no power and walks about 30 times a year.

well, larussa likes to bat his pitchers 8th and put someone who can get on base in the 9 spot. molina is a .275-.300 single hitter who sets up the top of the lineup to drive him home. on base 100 times is way, way better than 65 times with 40 doubles.

bacongood: He has a very small history (minor league and major league) sample as a hitter for someone his age. That means no track record.

and again, it's been over 2 seasons of consistency as a hitter. i mean, after 2 seasons of .300+ hitting with over 40 homers, people were prepared to say pujols was a champion level hitter. i guess we're looking from different angles here, but ankiel has a LOT of major league at bats. (and i think he hit something like 36 homers in 70 games before being called up)
 
2009-04-14 04:38:22 PM
WaltzingMathilda: bacongood: But they aren't that impressive. hitting .300 is great, but if it is just a bunch of singles and you don't take walks, it is not that helpful. He has no power and walks about 30 times a year.

well, larussa likes to bat his pitchers 8th and put someone who can get on base in the 9 spot. molina is a .275-.300 single hitter who sets up the top of the lineup to drive him home. on base 100 times is way, way better than 65 times with 40 doubles.


???
a) Molina's OBP isn't that good. In your scenerio, you want high OBP because you don't care if he gets a hit or a walk.
b) Last year, Molina batted 6 or 7 all year. This is not something the Cards do.
c) Molina only scores about 35 runs a year. While he clearly can't control what the batters that follow him do, this indicates that this is not what they do with him.


bacongood: He has a very small history (minor league and major league) sample as a hitter for someone his age. That means no track record.

and again, it's been over 2 seasons of consistency as a hitter. i mean, after 2 seasons of .300+ hitting with over 40 homers, people were prepared to say pujols was a champion level hitter. i guess we're looking from different angles here, but ankiel has a LOT of major league at bats. (and i think he hit something like 36 homers in 70 games before being called up)


There is a big difference between a 20 year old ripping apart A and AA pitching (Pujols) and a 25 year old doing that (Ankiel). Minor league at bats are almost as helpful as major league at bats for looking at someone's skill. The key thing is though, you have to look at age as well, so Ankiel's aren't as predictive. Also, there is a world of difference between Pujul's seasons (MVP level) and Ankiel's 2008 (solid, but not all-star or anything).

He has only 687 major league atbats, which about 100 of them coming as a pitcher. So you are only looking at about one seasons worth of at bats. Not much of a track record, so he may vary a lot this year.
Also, due to his age, I don't think there is much room for improvement. I see his 2008 year as his ceiling, while a Cards fan may try to argue it is his floor.
 
2009-04-14 05:12:35 PM
bacongood: While he clearly can't control what the batters that follow him do, this indicates that this is not what they do with him.

Tony shakes up the lineup a lot, but he did this with Molina a lot last year. And the reason was he was getting on base.

bacongood: I see his 2008 year as his ceiling, while a Cards fan may try to argue it is his floor.

Maybe so, maybe not. But it's not like my position or yours is grounded on anything scientific. 25 is pretty damned young in baseball.
 
2009-04-14 05:13:53 PM
 
2009-04-14 05:21:34 PM
WaltzingMathilda: bacongood: While he clearly can't control what the batters that follow him do, this indicates that this is not what they do with him.

Tony shakes up the lineup a lot, but he did this with Molina a lot last year. And the reason was he was getting on base.


three times he batted 9th. and I am too lazy to check to see if he actually started ninth, or just appeared there as part of a double switch or a pinch hit.

.350 is a decent OBP for a catcher, but still not enough to call him a plus bat. His value is still all in his defense.

bacongood: I see his 2008 year as his ceiling, while a Cards fan may try to argue it is his floor.

Maybe so, maybe not. But it's not like my position or yours is grounded on anything scientific. 25 is pretty damned young in baseball.


Ankiel is definitely someone that has a career path impossible to predict. But if I were the Cards, I would be very worried about the league continuing to make adjustments to his bat. His minimal minor league at bats mean the league doesn't have previous reports on him.

I still think the Cards need Rasmus to make the offense go. Another bat in the infield would be great too. Otherwise, it is all about trying to avoid getting destroyed by Pujols.
 
2009-04-15 11:08:04 AM
bacongood: I stand by my claim that the Cards need Carp to be healthy to give the Cubs a run this year.

You're probably not coming back to this thread, but it looks like we'll see this weekend ... at least on Sunday when he would have otherwise pitched.

God damn oblique strains. 3rd Cardinal in as many seasons to have one.
 
2009-04-15 12:37:36 PM
WaltzingMathilda: You're probably not coming back to this thread, but it looks like we'll see this weekend ... at least on Sunday when he would have otherwise pitched.

lurk lurk lurk
 
2009-04-15 12:45:45 PM
aquigley: WaltzingMathilda: You're probably not coming back to this thread, but it looks like we'll see this weekend ... at least on Sunday when he would have otherwise pitched.

lurk lurk lurk


can you believe the farking luck though? a god damned injury swinging the bat? if he comes back this year, my advice is to bunt him every time.

(at least i had the decency to show my face after carp's injury, no?)
 
2009-04-15 01:11:44 PM
WaltzingMathilda: aquigley: WaltzingMathilda: You're probably not coming back to this thread, but it looks like we'll see this weekend ... at least on Sunday when he would have otherwise pitched.

lurk lurk lurk

can you believe the farking luck though? a god damned injury swinging the bat? if he comes back this year, my advice is to bunt him every time.

(at least i had the decency to show my face after carp's injury, no?)


I'll be done with this thread after this, there are other, newer baseball related threads, but yeah, that was an odd injury.

Clearly, one series doesn't mean a lot, but I do like that now the Cubs have the pitching advantage in the last three games.

i should go find tickets...
 
Displayed 220 of 220 comments



This thread is archived, and closed to new comments.

Continue Farking
Submit a Link »






Report